The Royal family

HartleyLegend3

HartleyLegend3

With William and Kate's tour of Scotland coming to an end, its been a mix bag of reactions from the Scottish public I thought. 

All the media reports and pictures have shown a happy Royal couple visiting and interacting with an equally happy public. 

But reading the comments below these media articles paints a very negative picture. I would say the vast majority of the comments are against the Royals.

I'm not really sure what the upset is about with former PM Gordon Brown meeting them? 

Just wondering what JKB general feeling is towards the Royal family as a whole? 

191121135545-01-queen-andrew-charles-0608-large-169.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FWJ

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• A Boy Named Crow

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, Dirty Deeds said:

They must feel like Generation Game contestants as wherever they go, they have to take part in some silly activity. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57241340

I think William's grandfather taught him to drive.

There whole lives seem to be a primary school day out at a zoo or some other pish.  

BBC have been on overdrive with this shite lately.

Harry knew his uncle is dodgy and happily got out to get even richer.  

Maple Leaf

They're dysfunctional, over-privileged parasites, leftovers from a bygone age.

After The Queen dies, the whole mess should be disbanded.

Kings and queens, princes and princesses, dukes and duchesses, etc in 2021? :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Cade said:

The French and Russians had the right idea.

Was watching a docu on the Romanovs a couple of days ago about how the Orthodox burial of the two bodies found in 2007 has never happened and the original remains found in 79(?) although all confirmed through testing are not overly acknowledged by them. Theyve even opened their own investigations which some say is to stall or detract from their screw ups even citing anti-semitism as the reason for their assassinations and the revolution was just an excuse.

Just now, Maple Leaf said:

Kings and queens, princes and princesses, dukes and duchesses, etc in 2021? :facepalm:

Sums it up nicely 👌🏻

Howdy Doody Jambo

Just a normal run of the mill family really, there is always a clown in them 

Robbo-Jambo
7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

This.

A lot of outdated nonsense and a waste of millions.

3 hours ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

With William and Kate's tour of Scotland coming to an end, its been a mix bag of reactions from the Scottish public I thought. 

All the media reports and pictures have shown a happy Royal couple visiting and interacting with an equally happy public. 

But reading the comments below these media articles paints a very negative picture. I would say the vast majority of the comments are against the Royals.

I'm not really sure what the upset is about with former PM Gordon Brown meeting them? 

Just wondering what JKB general feeling is towards the Royal family as a whole? 

191121135545-01-queen-andrew-charles-0608-large-169.jpg

It seems to be the nature of social media these days that people are more likely to say how much they hate something (and using quite extreme terms) than to say they are ‘meh’ or quite happy.

As far as I’m aware the majority in this country (U.K. or Scotland) still support a monarchy over a republic.

Maple Leaf
9 minutes ago, FWJ said:

As far as I’m aware the majority in this country (U.K. or Scotland) still support a monarchy over a republic.

I wonder if that will change when the Queen dies?

The majority of people in Canada are indifferent to the fact that the Queen is our head of state. She's been Queen longer than most people have been alive, so she's just ... there.  I suspect that attitude will change dramatically when the Queen dies and people wake up the fact that yon gormless Charlie is now the person we're supposed to swear allegiance to.

Whenever the subject of Canada becoming a republic arises (which isn't often), monarchists just point south and ask "Do you want THAT here?" and the subject is quickly dropped.

I don't really care what other countries who live under the seigniory of the Royal Family decide, but I would far prefer that an independent Scotland become a republic.

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I wonder if that will change when the Queen dies?

The majority of people in Canada are indifferent to the fact that the Queen is our head of state. She's been Queen longer than most people have been alive, so she's just ... there.  I suspect that attitude will change dramatically when the Queen dies and people wake up the fact that yon gormless Charlie is now the person we're supposed to swear allegiance to.

Whenever the subject of Canada becoming a republic arises (which isn't often), monarchists just point south and ask "Do you want THAT here?" and the subject is quickly dropped.

I suppose it depends on what kind of republic Canada would choose - executive live the US or France or popularly-elected like Ireland.

If popularly elected then I’m afraid I don’t know enough about Canadian life to imagine who might be supported.  The danger (as I see it) is that the vast majority of candidates will always have a taint of politics about them and that could cause issues.

Of course in the U.K. we’d probably get Presidenty MacPresidentFace.

In Scotland - well, God knows.  Of course all the chat would be which of the OF they had a ‘soft spot’ for.

England can do what they want with their royal family. The people no problem,(except Andrew) but the actual title. Na. 

It’s kind of ironic that the last time Scotland was without a monarch was when the English killed him, the Scottish parliament declared his son as king - so the English (Cromwell) invaded and declared Scotland part of (the commonwealth of) England.

I like the Queen and I liked auld Phil. 

But the rest of them? 

Nah. 

Wills is as dull as dishwater and Charles is just awful. 

They are like a bunch of creepy Z list celebs now. 

Maple Leaf
48 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Listen to yesterday's In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg, too? :) 

Re the Royal Family... wish no harm on them, but do have to question the weirdos that treat them with deference and something bordering on servitude. 

I'll never get offered a knighthood or an OBE or any other of those pretentious baubles, which is just as well as I wouldn't bow to anyone during the acceptance ceremony.

I have a Queens Jubilee Medal in recognition of police, military and volunteer contributions, I also have a British Army General Service Medal, I take pride in both as I do for my Canadian Police Medal  for twenty years of exemplary police service. The first two have the Queens head on them, the third has a Maple Leaf, I am proud of all, probably no monitory value, but gives me a feeling of satisfaction that I served my fellow man with dignity respect, and even on occasion some valor. I received the GSM by mail, my boss called me in and shook my hand for the Jubilee medal, and the Canadian Police medal I received in the mail. I treasure all. I am no Royalist but we each live with the cards we are dealt with at birth.

5 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'll never get offered a knighthood or an OBE or any other of those pretentious baubles, which is just as well as I wouldn't bow to anyone during the acceptance ceremony.

It appears you don't need to bow or curtsy when meeting a member of the Royal Family.

https://www.royal.uk/greeting-member-royal-family

Do you want me to go ahead and nominate you for something? ;) It can't be for a knighthood though, sorry, as you would have to kneel on the investiture stool to have it bestowed.

Maple Leaf
7 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I have a Queens Jubilee Medal in recognition of police, military and volunteer contributions, I also have a British Army General Service Medal, I take pride in both as I do for my Canadian Police Medal  for twenty years of exemplary police service. The first two have the Queens head on them, the third has a Maple Leaf, I am proud of all, probably no monitory value, but gives me a feeling of satisfaction that I served my fellow man with dignity respect, and even on occasion some valor. I received the GSM by mail, my boss called me in and shook my hand for the Jubilee medal, and the Canadian Police medal I received in the mail. I treasure all. I am no Royalist but we each live with the cards we are dealt with at birth.

I can't imagine you bowing to anyone, Bob.

Maple Leaf
8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It appears you don't need to bow or curtsy when meeting a member of the Royal Family.

https://www.royal.uk/greeting-member-royal-family

Do you want me to go ahead and nominate you for something? ;) It can't be for a knighthood though, sorry, as you would have to kneel on the investiture stool to have it bestowed.

On the first part, *phew* that's a relief.

Please don't nominate me for a knighthood.  I could kneel on the stool but, with my arthritic knees, I wouldn't be able to stand up again. :wheelchair:

5 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

On the first part, *phew* that's a relief.

Please don't nominate me for a knighthood.  I could kneel on the stool but, with my arthritic knees, I wouldn't be able to stand up again. :wheelchair:

:D

I'm sure they would let you off with using a wheelchair.

So we'll go for "Knighthood for services rendered to football forum administration". I'll try to pull some strings.

Maple Leaf
22 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm sure they would let you off with using a wheelchair.

So we'll go for "Knighthood for services rendered to football forum administration". I'll try to pull some strings.

Although well-deserved, I doubt if "JKB Arsehole of the Year" is a legitimate award.  Thanks for the thought, though. :thumb:

Unknown user
22 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Although well-deserved, I doubt if "JKB Arsehole of the Year" is a legitimate award.  Thanks for the thought, though. :thumb:

I'll have you know the trophies from my unprecedented 3 years in a row have pride of place in the toilet.

Maple Leaf
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'll have you know the trophies from my unprecedented 3 years in a row have pride of place in the toilet.

It's one of the things I love about JKB. The "Arsehole of the Year"award is always a close competition!  :biggrin2:

More republican than royalist but I see Wills had a meeting with Gordon Broon to discuss ways to thwart Sturge. That gets my approval.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

More republican than royalist but I see Wills had a meeting with Gordon Broon to discuss ways to thwart Sturge. That gets my approval.

:rofl:

33 minutes ago, Smithee said:

30 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's one of the things I love about JKB. The "Arsehole of the Year"award is always a close competition!  :biggrin2:

Unknown user
37 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I welcome the chase!

Auldbenches
14 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

The daily mail had a headline last week saying that willie was here to help save the union.   I thought the scroungers weren't allowed to get involved in politics?

If he has met Brown he is crossing a line.  

Charles has said they want everyone to plant a tree to commemorate the queens jubilee next year to help save the planet.  Does that mean that all the memorabilia they will cash in on will be environmentally friendly?  Defeats the purpose if not.  

They shouldn't be getting involved in the indy debate.  

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's a shame for you that, as one of the Admin team, you're automatically ineligible for the much sought-after Secret Santa winning crown.

Winning that should surely confer a lordship with a few acres somewhere...

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Boof said:

It's a shame for you that, as one of the Admin team, you're automatically ineligible for the much sought-after Secret Santa winning crown.

Winning that should surely confer a lordship with a few acres somewhere...

You do with the arsehole crown, mine's just outside Twatt

Der Kaiser

William speaks of the special place  Scotland has in his heart mere days after the SNPs victory in the election. 

Coincidence surely.......surely?

As I've said before, Kings and Queens and Princesses and Palaces and jewelled crowns......its utterly archaic, laughable and redundant. Just feck off all of you. Don't care if you want to take all your artwork and possessions and expensive furniture.....take them....and feck off.

8 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

The daily mail had a headline last week saying that willie was here to help save the union.   I thought the scroungers weren't allowed to get involved in politics?

If he has met Brown he is crossing a line.  

Charles has said they want everyone to plant a tree to commemorate the queens jubilee next year to help save the planet.  Does that mean that all the memorabilia they will cash in on will be environmentally friendly?  Defeats the purpose if not.  

They shouldn't be getting involved in the indy debate.  

Well the SNP are retaining the constitutional monarchy come what may so Wills can do what the hell he likes. 

Auldbenches
Just now, JackLadd said:

Well the SNP are retaining the constitutional monarchy come what may so Wills can do what the hell he likes. 

That's just Sturgeon playing it safe until we get independence.  You think they are stupid enough to alienate any votes from ibrox?  

Just now, JackLadd said:

I'm sure at some point independent Scotland will have a referendum on whether or not to retain it. As it should be if it becomes an important enough issue.

I'd prefer our independent Scotland not to have a royal family but can't say I care that much really. 

5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

This. 

For all the displeasure on JKB about Royalty, , I remember Hearts crowned Wullie Bauld, King of Scotland. No bad for a laddie from Bingham/Newcraigall.

Just now, redjambo said:

I'm sure at some point independent Scotland will have a referendum on whether or not to retain it. As it should be if it becomes an important enough issue.

I somehow doubt the matter will be too uppermost if the SNP force separation and all the freebies go and biting cuts across the board are visited on those vulnerable people the SNP claim to care about. 

2 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I somehow doubt the matter will be too uppermost if the SNP force separation and all the freebies go and biting cuts across the board are visited on those vulnerable people the SNP claim to care about. 

We'll just have to see what happens in reality, JL. I think it may be one the first constitutional matters we look at, along with the adoption of a written constitution and a bicameral legislature of course.

11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

We'll just have to see what happens in reality, JL. I think it may be one the first constitutional matters we look at, along with the adoption of a written constitution and a bicameral legislature of course.

Well, you won't get any of that from the SNP. They haven't told us one scintilla about what the plan is and how we'd fund services, pay all the benefits and create the infrastructure needed in a 2020s iScotland. In 2014 it was grow the economy and add 1m migrants to the population with a high oil price and increased North Sea production filling the shortfall. That was when tax revenues vs public expenditure was not as divergent as now, so they are silent and have no argument. Putting the monarchy and constitutional reform on the plate is a non starter when they can't even tell us the basics. 

Edited by JackLadd

Unknown user
Just now, JackLadd said:

Well, you won't get any that from the SNP. They haven't told us one scintilla about what the plan is and how we'd fund services, pay all the benefits and create the infrastructure needed in a 2020s iScotland. In 2014 it was grow the economy and add 1m migrants to the population with a high oil price and increased North Sea production filling the shortfall. That was when tax revenues vs public expenditure was not as divergent as now, so they are silent and have no argument. Putting the monarchy and constitutional reform on the plate is a non starter when they can't even tell us the basics. 

What do you know about Westminster's plans to fund services, pay benefits and create the infrastructure needed in a 2020s UK?

Apart from borrow like crazy I mean.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

The word constitutional does of course specifically mean Wills can't do what the hell he likes.

Space Mackerel
8 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I like them. Well, most of them.

You’ve met them personally?