Perfect time to vote against artificial surfaces

j1964m

Would be great if the top flight now vote you must have grass playing surface in the top fight of the SPFL to be promoted. Only Livingston left in top flight with a plastic pitch 

It does raise the question.

Kilmarnock and Hamilton have defended themselves strongly. 

Not sure though what the vote would be. Might need all the divisions to approve a vote and no chance the Championship would agree. 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

Agree, saying that the surface at Raith i thought was very good .. 

that’s the only one tho

I thought Falkirk and Queen of the South were decent enough in 2014/15.

Hagar the Horrible

I was going to start this as a topic, its the perfect time to ban them, and just in case Brechin win the highland league, stop the pyramid system too

• davemclaren changed the title to Perfect time to vote against artificial surfaces
professorfate

I agree no wonder English people think our league is pish. I think it is the bare minimum to have grass pitch.

upgotheheads

I tend to agree, on the other hand we've seen some very poor grass pitches as well this season, at Morton for example. Maybe if clubs at Championship level and above were told at the start of the season that a grass pitch would be required for promotion or continuation in the PL it would encourage them to get their act together in good time, maybe with ground sharing arrangements with other teams in the lower leagues.

It’s a rule for the Football League in England. Sutton Utd have been promoted (well run club) and are having to rip up their artificial pitch. 

I’d have thought as the outcome of this vote would affect more than just the current batch of Premiership clubs, it would need to be a full 42 club vote.

Edited by DH1986

37 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Never seen 1 good game of football on a plastic pitch. They’re pish.

Spot on!

john thomas
16 minutes ago, DavyMcL said:

It’s a rule for the Football League in England. Sutton Utd have been promoted (well run club) and are having to rip up their artificial pitch. 

Didn't know that but think that is how it should be . Livingston have [did have] an amazing home record . Not belittling their efforts but think there can be a definite advantage . Yes I know who got relegated !

Main argument is these pitches are not conducive to good football

true-jambo

There appears to be a difference of opinion regarding the voting requirements to exclude the use of artificial surfaces in the Premier League. I am sure one of the more educated posters, in terms of the SPFL rules, would be able to throw some light on whether or not Premier League clubs on an 11-1 can have them excluded from use in the top division, or whether clubs from all 4 divisions would need to vote in favour. 

If the vote were to be restricted to the Premier League, and given only one club, Livingston, currently play on plastic, the chances of success would surely be quite high. It is probably worth noting the players voted heavily in favour of outlawing artificial playing surfaces.

My question is, that if the Premier League clubs are indeed in charge of their own destiny, should we the supporters be lobbying the club strongly to raise the issue with the SPFL Board

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It's the quality of surface that is important not the element. 

Our pitch is hybrid, do we need to start again, again?

David McCaig
6 minutes ago, true-jambo said:

There appears to be a difference of opinion regarding the voting requirements to exclude the use of artificial surfaces in the Premier League. I am sure one of the more educated posters, in terms of the SPFL rules, would be able to throw some light on whether or not Premier League clubs on an 11-1 can have them excluded from use in the top division, or whether clubs from all 4 divisions would need to vote in favour. 

If the vote were to be restricted to the Premier League, and given only one club, Livingston, currently play on plastic, the chances of success would surely be quite high. It is probably worth noting the players voted heavily in favour of outlawing artificial playing surfaces.

My question is, that if the Premier League clubs are indeed in charge of their own destiny, should we the supporters be lobbying the club strongly to raise the issue with the SPFL Board

Divisions can definitely make up their own rules as evidenced by our 27 game season and only being allowed 3 subs in the Championship.

true-jambo
3 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Divisions can definitely make up their own rules as evidenced by our 27 game season and only being allowed 3 subs in the Championship.

Agreed, but isn't it different depending on the type of rule which is to be changed?

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Never seen 1 good game of football on a plastic pitch. They’re pish.

Pretty much this, some on here saying some were not too bad, is that due to the type of hybrid

or the way it is kept, anyway top league should be grass only.

David McCaig
51 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

It's the quality of surface that is important not the element. 

Our pitch is hybrid, do we need to start again, again?

hybrid is 97% grass

Its strange this whole Plastic pitch debate. some teams who have it say its for allowing football training and kids football on it even rent it out to amateur sides to train mid week. These teams who have the plastic pitch all have more pitches around the ground. Hamilton, Falkirk, Livingston.

they all have more astro pitches outside their stadium. It should be similar to when you needed 10k stadium to get into the SPL years ago . When you reach the Premier League if you have a plastic pitch it should be replaced by grass. 

2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I was going to start this as a topic, its the perfect time to ban them, and just in case Brechin win the highland league, stop the pyramid system too

I think If Brechin win the Highland League they won't get past the team who win's the lowland there is about 4/5 good teams in the Lowland who will eventually get up like Kelty in the future.  Think Brechin will disappear like East Stirling and Berwick for sometime.  

One of the few arguments for having them was that games would never be postponed due to bad weather. In the season just ended a fair few games on artificial (all weather) pitches were postponed. 

I would like to see plastic pitches banned in the top league. 

In fairness to Livi - if it happened i'd expect a grace period allowing them a season to change it. 

In fairness to Raith (for example) i'd probably be content to suggest the same to any club promoted. If they last more than one season then it has to be replaced.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
44 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

hybrid is 97% grass

Only time I had the pleasure of walking it, can be certain it wasnt 97% grass but take your point :)

Thanks for clarifying

I've played on both Hamilton's (admittedly I think they've laid a new one since) and Livi's and they are horrific. I tore ankle ligaments landing awkwardly on Hamilton's, where my foot would have slid away on grass. Didn't play again for 9 months. Livi's seemed to be vertical so studs struggled to gain any traction, like a comb. 

Grass all the way. 

On 25/05/2021 at 11:13, kingantti1874 said:

Agree, saying that the surface at Raith i thought was very good .. 

that’s the only one tho

Maybe all that's needed is a ban on shit plastic pitches 

Some clubs seem to confuse "cheap to maintain and durable" with "maintenance free with no need to replace ever"

Guest ToqueJambo

If the vote doe

22 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Shouldn't have plastic pitches in top league in my opinion 

This. They stopped teams from getting promoted before because their facilities weren't of a high enough level. Should be the same with pitches. Of Course the vote won't go through because the lower leagues get a say in it. After the events of last year, we need a breakaway league IMO - two larger top leagues of teams capable of being proper professional football clubs and everyone else in a semi pro set-up. The problem is do we even have enough clubs who meet the criteria to form those two top leagues.

jambopilms
2 hours ago, DH1986 said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7165826/premiership-clubs-discuss-banning-artificial-pitches/

Just as I thought.....

It’ll take 75% of all 42 clubs to vote out artificial pitches for the Premiership.

Once again a load of part-time clubs, that bring nothing to the game, get to decide what's best for professional club trying to make things better.

38 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Once again a load of part-time clubs, that bring nothing to the game, get to decide what's best for professional club trying to make things better.

Yep......

RustyRightPeg

A lot of clubs in Scotland rely on their plastic pitches as a source of income through the season. Livi’s pitch is used every night of the week for kids training, local amateur teams playing and the club get decent rental fees on it.

Top level football I agree though they should be banned.