Favourite Scotland player ever?

Morgan

So far no one has commented on the 'other Robbo' or as Cloughie would say in a pre match interview:

'We've got a young short fat Scottish lad on the left side who'll turn him inside out. Inside out'

One of the best interviews ever. And he was right - Robbo's first touch was in-f'ing-sane. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• ri Alban

• Cruyff

• Deodato

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Deodato said:

So far no one has commented on the 'other Robbo' or as Cloughie would say in a pre match interview:

'We've got a young short fat Scottish lad on the left side who'll turn him inside out. Inside out'

One of the best interviews ever. And he was right - Robbo's first touch was in-f'ing-sane. 

The OP mentioned him, Deo.  👍

Broxburn Jambo

Denis Law

Jim Baxter

Jimmy Johnstone

Willie Henderson

This just shows how long since I have enjoyed watching Scotland

ScottieMac17

Gordon, Hartley, McFadden, Maloney and Andy Robertson

Edited by ScottieMac17

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

The only rule is that you have to disregard his club side, as this may bias your choice!

For me, it’s one of a few:

Denis Law

Peter Lorimer

Joe Jordan

Steve Nicol

Davie Cooper

John Robertson (our one and the Nottingham Forest one).

Of the current lot, only Andy Robertson.

I’m sure Kenny Dalglish will get a few mentions. Personally, I didn’t think he had many outstanding games for Scotland, but there you go.

You're not alone with your Dalglish comment. 

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, Weonly151 said:

Has to be James McFadden and from the squad just now Andy Robertson. 

Why do you like Andy Robertson so much? Compared to other current players?

11 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why do you like Andy Robertson so much? Compared to other current players?

Still shining like a beacon, aren’t you?

It’s perhaps, just maybe, that he’s one of the best left backs around at the moment?

You really need a wee look at the ‘Schoolboys book of football, 2021’.  👍

3 minutes ago, leginten said:

Joe Jordan. No-one else even comes close for me.

:notworthy:

pharmaceutical01

Thought Levein looked great when he played for Scotland....strolled it

Craig Gordon obviously and McFadden

I like McTominey as a player

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, sadj said:

Stewart Kennedy just cause he helped me a lot.

He was going to be my 'no one else will have said him mention. I used to enjoy watching him tear up and down the wing. 

McQueen was another big one for me. I have a memory of a photo of him, probably in the Scotsmen, towering over a bunch of defenders to head a goal. Absolutely no idea what game it was. 

Fast forward into the '80s and I'll confess to having a soft spot for Strachan.

In more recent years, club allegiance has figured more largely in my interest in the national squads.

6 hours ago, world3 said:

Joe Jordan.

For the same reasons that Drew Busby is my favourite Hearts player ever, despite technically being nowhere near as good as many others.

Brave, committed and 100% in every single game.

Surprisingly skilful with the ball at his feet too, despite his hard man reputation.

Jaws gets my vote as well, exactly for the reasons you state.  Also, he was the first British player to score in 3 successive World Cup Finals.  And he also performed the hand of god long before Maradonna, winning us that penalty against Wales on route to the 1978 WC finals.

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Still shining like a beacon, aren’t you?

It’s perhaps, just maybe, that he’s one of the best left backs around at the moment?

You really need a wee look at the ‘Schoolboys book of football, 2021’.  👍

Ummm he’s good but hardly amazing. Not done much for Scotland either 

It would have been Dalglish if he carried his league form to World Cup finals.

Played 3 but I can only think of 1 great game out of 9..

Holland 78.

Guest ToqueJambo

Dalglish, Souness and Hansen. Incredible how far we've fallen since those days. And Hansen wasn't even a first pick. Over 400 games for a great Liverpool side and just 26 caps because we also had McLeish and Miller. Imagine them as a back 3 now though!

Edited by ToqueJambo

The 78 team was the peak, sadly McLeod got it wrong until the last game. McQueen had been fit would have made a difference also.

80s Hansen, Strachan, Wark, Robertson, 

90s McAllister, Gallagher, Collins, Hendry, Hutchison

00s McFadden, Miller, D Fletcher, Brown,  

Tokyo Drifter

King Kenny for me, followed by Joe Jordan and Archie Gemmill. Always had a soft spot for Asa Hartford too. Showing my age, right?

Dalglish.  Don't buy the rubbish that he didn't play well for Scotland.   My only regret is that he could have done a job for us in Mexico but I think he fell out with Fergie after Hansen was left out of squad.  

I used to go to a lot of Scotland games in the 00's as a kid. English football wasn't on as much on TV as it is now. I used to love Kenny Miller it's when he was at Wolves. 

I always remember being in primary 7 and there was talk the Scotland team were going to be training at Prestonfield ( Linlithgow ) in the evening. I went down and stood for what felt like hours crowd's gathered and the bus turned up the players walked in with Bertie and Tommy Burns then the wooden door was closed and we were all locked out. About 5/10 minutes later Tommy Burns came out and said Mr Vogts will allow everyone in to watch the training session but wont be singing any autographs until after the session ends. Every single player stopped for the fans Stephen Pressley was the last one back on the bus singing everyone's autograph and speaking to everyone also Steven Thomson , Rab Douglas , 

Was brilliant and I'll will always remember it.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

King Kenny for me, followed by Joe Jordan and Archie Gemmill. Always had a soft spot for Asa Hartford too. Showing my age, right?

Pretty much my choice, wee archie for that goal against Holland, Donald Ford, Craig  Gordon and

Jim Cruickshank always come to mind as well.

Craig Levein also had 16 caps.

Spellczech

Always felt Gary McAllister was an excellent player at international level. Don't think it was a coincidence that when he retired from international football we stopped qualifying for tournaments...

Peakybunnet
On 24/05/2021 at 17:52, Des Lynam said:

Paul McStay

Last Scotland game I went to was against Iceland in 1983. Paul McStay was brilliant and scored 2 screamers in a 3-0 win. I came out the ground buzzing but then discovered some weegie barsteward had nicked my car. 

scott herbertson
On 24/05/2021 at 19:08, Deodato said:

Sorry folks you are ALL guilty of missing a trick. 

The correct answer is David Nary for this (and not what followed)

I heard a funny story that the Scots fans didn't celebrate as they knew what was coming... 

Was there, and we certainly did celebrate

There were two problems though - we were nearly to a man exhausted with drinking and having fun with the Brazilians.

Secondly it was about 140 degrees inside the stadium - had no voice left after 15 minutes and no energy - we literally ran out of steam - fans and team

scott herbertson

Jim Cannon (only because I played in a vets match against him - Thames Television vs Crystal Palace - they also had Steve Coppell in their team). Funnily enough our manager said "you'll be chuffed as they've got a Scottish international in their team and I said "Who?" and when he said Jim Cannon I said "who?" again 😀 but I'm still claiming it

More seriously - 

McGrain before his injury had a spell when he was best in the world IMO.

Strachan

Dalgleish

Willie Johnston

23 hours ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

Denis Law

Jim Baxter

Jimmy Johnstone

Willie Henderson

This just shows how long since I have enjoyed watching Scotland

Happy memories of these guys. All world class, especially Jim Baxter.

could maybe add Tommy Gemmel, Bobby Murdoch, Bobby Lennox,  Willie Wallace to that list.

The Bannon Flick

Growing up it was always Kenny Dalglish.

Over the past twenty years McFadden has been one of the very few capable of moments of absolute magic.

Here’s hoping someone else does something truly memorable  over the next few weeks at the Euro’s that gets us off our seats. 

On 24/05/2021 at 17:32, Cruyff said:

Dennis Law is the greatest Scottish player ever. 

As a Welshman I have to agree

As a kid the side that pipped Wales for Argentina was full of very, very good players. Dalglish, McQueen, Jordan, Hartford our very own Willie Johnston.

Jambo 4 Ever
15 hours ago, Boris said:

Always thought Stuart McCall always put a decent shift in for Scotland.

Agreed 

On 25/05/2021 at 07:02, Boris said:

Always thought Stuart McCall always put a decent shift in for Scotland.

He did.

Very good player at club and international level.

On 25/05/2021 at 12:27, TexasAndy said:

Dalglish.  Don't buy the rubbish that he didn't play well for Scotland.   My only regret is that he could have done a job for us in Mexico but I think he fell out with Fergie after Hansen was left out of squad.  

He had a few good games for Scotland, I’ll give you that.

But, give anyone 102 caps and they are almost bound to perform well in some of them!