Favourite Scotland player ever?

Morgan

The only rule is that you have to disregard his club side, as this may bias your choice!

For me, it’s one of a few:

Denis Law

Peter Lorimer

Joe Jordan

Steve Nicol

Davie Cooper

John Robertson (our one and the Nottingham Forest one).

Of the current lot, only Andy Robertson.

I’m sure Kenny Dalglish will get a few mentions. Personally, I didn’t think he had many outstanding games for Scotland, but there you go.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• ri Alban

• Cruyff

• Deodato

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe Jordan.

For the same reasons that Drew Busby is my favourite Hearts player ever, despite technically being nowhere near as good as many others.

Brave, committed and 100% in every single game.

Surprisingly skilful with the ball at his feet too, despite his hard man reputation.

John Findlay

Asa Hartford 

Archie Gemmill, for that goal 

Billy Bremner

Jim Cruickshank 

Donald Ford

Bobby Lennox(never got the credit he deserved, tremendous player)

Joe Jordan

The Lawman

King Kenny

John Robertson of Heart of Midlothian.

Craig Gordon.

The Gorgie

Without saying a Hearts player I don't have one, there has been no one in my life time that has ever got me excited to watch Scotland. McFadden goal v France will probably get him a good number of votes.

10 minutes ago, JamboBornNBred said:

Gordon Mcqueen

This. And Martin Buchan if only for his cross for Dalglish. A thing of beauty.

I concur with one in Morgan's original list - Davie Cooper.

A close second would be Denis Law.

A slightly more controversial choice might be Willie Miller. I thought he was generally solid in central defence and it was reassuring to have him there.

Kenny Dalglish.

World class and I always felt the "only plays well at club level" was a bit of a myth.

As a primary school kid in the 1970's Kenny was a hero figure to all of us football crazy kids. Whether a Hearts or Hibs fan, it seemed to be Kenny who most of us pretended, and aspired, to be. Playing for Celtic at club level didn't appear to matter.

And that flying header v. Wales, man.

Not in any particular order

Deeks

Gary Osniffaline 

Captain Hanlon

and

Lewy Lewy Stevenson must all be in with a shout

Naw!!!!!!!!!!

fraser5670
20 minutes ago, martoon said:

Kenny Dalglish.

World class and I always felt the "only plays well at club level" was a bit of a myth.

As a primary school kid in the 1970's Kenny was a hero figure to all of us football crazy kids. Whether a Hearts or Hibs fan, it seemed to be Kenny who most of us pretended, and aspired, to be. Playing for Celtic at club level didn't appear to matter.

Absolutely spot on. Think everyone at my school shouted Dalgleish, whenever they scored. True as well that in those days what club you played for didn’t seem to matter at all. A lot of the answers here will be related to those players who were stars at the relevant school age. 

18 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Chris Iwulemo

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Favourite not most hated. :lol:

He said on Saturday with no hint of irony “how has he missed that”

1 minute ago, fraser5670 said:

Absolutely spot on. Think everyone at my school shouted Dalgleish, whenever they scored. True as well that in those days what club you played for didn’t seem to matter at all. A lot of the answers here will be related to those players who were stars at the relevant school age. 

That's true. Older Hearts/Hibs kids and certainly adults would have had a different slant on things.

29 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I concur with one in Morgan's original list - Davie Cooper.

A close second would be Denis Law.

A slightly more controversial choice might be Willie Miller. I thought he was generally solid in central defence and it was reassuring to have him there.

I thought about Miller , you felt comfy knowing that with McLeish and Miller at the back we were solid and had a good base for going forward. Good old fashioned Berra style Centre Halfs. 

Davie Cooper , Archie Gemmill , Joe Jordan and our very own John Robertson. Never understood why we didnt use McCoist and Robbo I know they were similar but both were better than anything we have had since.

McFadden has that wow from his goal/s v France but otherwise meh!

Stewart Kennedy just cause he helped me a lot.

8 minutes ago, sadj said:

He said on Saturday with no hint of irony “how has he missed that”

Yep, he's got some brass neck. He should have been ostracised after that miss. 

30 minutes ago, sadj said:

I thought about Miller , you felt comfy knowing that with McLeish and Miller at the back we were solid and had a good base for going forward. Good old fashioned Berra style Centre Halfs. 

Davie Cooper , Archie Gemmill , Joe Jordan and our very own John Robertson. Never understood why we didnt use McCoist and Robbo I know they were similar but both were better than anything we have had since.

McFadden has that wow from his goal/s v France but otherwise meh!

Stewart Kennedy just cause he helped me a lot.

:what:Best Scotland player since the 80's.

1 hour ago, EH11_2NL said:

This. And Martin Buchan if only for his cross for Dalglish. A thing of beauty.

Was right behind the goal that night, what a goal that was. On the topic, of the ones I have seen, probably Baxter, Dalglish

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Kenny Dalglish.

Skipped school one day to go to Safeway’s at powderhall where he was signing autographs, my parents caught me walking there but took me anyway and he didn’t speak to any of the kids. My old man wasn’t impressed to say the least. 

Mcfadden by a mile

This current bunch doesn’t have someone I really like. Doesn’t help half of them have Celtic connections 

1 hour ago, gordon simpson said:

Charlie Cooke 

Many friends in America, old and young, idolise this guy for what he did for coaching over there. He's a really big deal for Americans in the way the game has developed. I was surprised to learn about this from so many folks. 

Sorry folks you are ALL guilty of missing a trick. 

The correct answer is David Nary for this (and not what followed)

I heard a funny story that the Scots fans didn't celebrate as they knew what was coming... 

13 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Mcfadden by a mile

This current bunch doesn’t have someone I really like. Doesn’t help half of them have Celtic connections 

Played for the Jersey. Always turned up for Scotland. 

1 hour ago, andythejambo said:

Denis Law.....joint top scorer in a time when we did not play as many internationals

And Denis Bergkamp was (actually) named after him, so the legacy continued