Sky satellite dish

King Of The Cat Cafe

King Of The Cat Cafe

So, the other day, no signal on the Sky box.  Called out an independent TV guy and he said he dish was "rotten".

Took 15 minutes to put up a new dish - on a bungalow - and charged £120.

Later I noted on eBay that dishes come in at under £30.  Quite a bit of mark-up here...

hughesie27
3 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

So, the other day, no signal on the Sky box.  Called out an independent TV guy and he said he dish was "rotten".

Later I noted on eBay that dishes come in at under £30.  Quite a bit of mark-up here...

You presumably need to own a bit of tech to calibrate it to the Satellite signal?

King Of The Cat Cafe
4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

You presumably need to own a bit of tech to calibrate it to the Satellite signal?

No idea - probably have some type of meter.  Dish was already up when we moved in eight years ago but the white "thingy" at the end of the LNB was not working.  Same guys put on a new "thingy" and twisted the dish about until it gave a piercing whistle when it lined up with the satellite.

They put up plenty of dishes so wouldn't need a meter just for one house.

King Of The Cat Cafe
5 minutes ago, obua said:

Presume sky would replace it free if it was useless.

Ach sure what's the need to bother busy people at Sky over a wee thing like that...😉

37 minutes ago, obua said:

Presume sky would replace it free if it was useless.

No, that's like asking the BBC or ITV to replace your aerial.

I set up a dish at my folks, one for around £30, came with a signal monitor for setting it up. It's not hard though, just aim in roughly the right direction and move until you hit the sweet spot.

been here before
55 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

**** sake...

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

You get the meters pretty cheap. Just need one that works for ten mins too. Tbf you could do it manually with a bit of patience and knowing the rough direction and angle your neighbours are at. Pretty sure Sky used to do them for free though. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
54 minutes ago, been here before said:

**** sake...

:facepalm:

Yeah: I do it because it annoys people.  👅

3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

The alternative to being a professional and calibrating it is doing it yourself by roughly setting up the dish pointing the same way it did before and making adjustments till it all works. 

Chances are your dish was fine and the LNB (the bit on the end) was faulty. Have had to replace a couple in my time. 

Highly unusual for the lnb to fail nowadays, most signal faults are down to the cabling becoming worn. Sky would have replaced it and most likely for just the standard call out charge 

10 hours ago, Ribble said:

Highly unusual for the lnb to fail nowadays, most signal faults are down to the cabling becoming worn. Sky would have replaced it and most likely for just the standard call out charge 

Not sure why - i've had a couple of them go, just assumed it was water ingress that damaged it. 

Have binned Sky now though so my only worry till recently was broadband going down but even that's about to change (as getting BT Halo 3 with the automatic mobile backup).

Der Kaiser

Got Sky Q on a deal in January. 

New dish hung up as old one not compatible 

Extra mini box for my sons room.

Guy set it up standing at my front door with the remote due to covid restrictions. 

All done in Less than 20 minutes from when he knocked the door.

Total cost......

Extra £10 a month....but not on the bill until July. 

(You may have ever so slightly overpaid)