Spring in my step

muldoon74

Found out on Friday that myself and a fellow jambo got the two driving positions in my work. 

No more 38000 steps a day on cold hard concrete around the warehouse on constant backshift. 

Better pay. Permanent contract. 

Start tomorrow so got today off. 

4 days work, then 6 days annual leave going away with the wife for good food and drinks. 

Actually happy and looking forward. There's light and an expanding clearer path ahead. 

Hibs hibsed the cup. Again. 

Life's getting better again. 

Happy Sunday everyone! 😀😀👍👍

24 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Found out on Friday that myself and a fellow jambo got the two driving positions in my work. 

No more 38000 steps a day on cold hard concrete around the warehouse on constant backshift. 

4 days work, then 6 days annual leave going away with the wife for good food and drinks. 

Actually happy and looking forward. There's light and an expanding clearer path ahead. 

Its good to hear some good positive news these days, enjoy what you have received, good memories are a treasure.:bravo:

The Real Maroonblood
32 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

👍

Rick James

Always good to hear someone in a positive mood. Life is shite, but sometimes it can be alright! Enjoy mate.

2 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Nice one.  What's 38000 steps, may something like 16-17 miles? You'll probably save a fortune in shoes too.

2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Its good to hear some good positive news these days, enjoy what you have received, good memories are a treasure.:bravo:

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Always good to hear someone in a positive mood. Life is shite, but sometimes it can be alright! Enjoy mate.

Life in general has been a bit of a slog the last year in particular, not just for me I know..  

It's good to be happy again. 

Not got the usual trepidation when starting a new job I just can't wait to get cracking and into a new routine. I've been constant backshift (2-10) for over a year, my wife is constant 7-3. We'll actually be able to have dinner together more than twice a week. 

4 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Nice one.  What's 38000 steps, may something like 16-17 miles? You'll probably save a fortune in shoes too.

Based on an average stride length for a man it's 17.992 miles.. 

Just bought new, safety trainers off amazon 4 weeks ago (£35)  but I'll be using them to drive as they're acceptable for health and safety. 

I also have plantar fasciitis so not walking best part of 18 miles a day will help that heal... 

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Nice to hear a good news story. All the best but your body will miss all those steps....

I'll be cutting booze out through the week, keeping it for days off and having healthy stuff for lunches. No burger vans or shop sandwiches. This will go someway to combating the potential weight gain from a more sedentary job. 

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, muldoon74 said:

I'll be cutting booze out through the week, keeping it for days off and having healthy stuff for lunches. No burger vans or shop sandwiches. This will go someway to combating the potential weight gain from a more sedentary job. 

That is great to hear. It is so easy to slip into a comfort zone. Hope all goes well and you keep the spring in your step for as long as possible. 

Can't see the spring being dampened for a good while yet.. Working 4 days this, week, away for 6, back for 2,off for 3 then into the rota.  New job has fairly limited contact with the people who are most likely to piss me off so smile sweetly when needed then off to next drop.. 

7 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Great stuff Muldoon Nothing like having a settled job.I worked from aged 15 till I decided to retire at age 60 and help my wife with looking after our foster children 

I really enjoyed enjoyed my work and wish there were more fulfilling jobs for folk these days.

Hope things continue to keep that spring in your step

15 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Great stuff Muldoon Nothing like having a settled job.I worked from aged 15 till I decided to retire at age 60 and help my wife with looking after our foster children 

I really enjoyed enjoyed my work and wish there were more fulfilling jobs for folk these days.

Hope things continue to keep that spring in your step

All I want from a job is to enjoy it (to a reasonable degree), decent pay and perhaps prospect of advancement and wee bit recognition of a job well done. I'm 46 and haven't settled in any job since aged 17. I was never happy. Bored the crap out of wife for years about jobs, even went part time on taxis to do a degree and post grad diploma but can't get a position in that industry! (sports and exercise, science). 

This at least is a good few steps in the right direction. I believe in working to live, not living to work. Been on wife's tablet last two hours looking at watches and motorbikes.. They're getting closer.. 😉

Although, slight downer, just turned match of the day on.. That new Liverpool kit is absolutely gopping!! 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Nice to see a positive thread on here. 

Good on ye muldoon, hope you enjoy the new job 👍

As the Australians say.. I'm gonna give it a red hot go! 👍

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Life in general has been a bit of a slog the last year in particular, not just for me I know..  

It's good to be happy again. 

Not got the usual trepidation when starting a new job I just can't wait to get cracking and into a new routine. I've been constant backshift (2-10) for over a year, my wife is constant 7-3. We'll actually be able to have dinner together more than twice a week. 

Been a hell of a slog for me over the past year too and I've done constant backs for 6 years now. 

The plus side for me was they moved me to a less pressured warehouse job today, no more trying to reach pick rates for the time being.

I'll not derail this thread with mentioning the minus side of why I've been moved but I'm awfy happy they have.

13 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Been a hell of a slog for me over the past year too and I've done constant backs for 6 years now. 

The plus side for me was they moved me to a less pressured warehouse job today, no more trying to reach pick rates for the time being.

I'll not derail this thread with mentioning the minus side of why I've been moved but I'm awfy happy they have.

Hope things, get better for you FS. 6 years constant backs I think I'd be deranged by now. Physical health would certainly be effected aswell! I was luckily never actually trained on the pick (despite being agency)... I was put on something else which actually helped me lose 4st and then trained on a more technical piece of machinery so was garaunteed to be on that every day. 

Unfortunately a few of the people I had to work with were just dick heads. I'm not into petty lies, crawling to management to clipe and complain about colleagues. 

My new position I'm on my own. I'll have a route and a van. Get on with it on my own terms (within reason of course). I feel a weight has been lifted, a change is as good as a rest as they say. 

I'll continue to look for better (I've applied for over 500 jobs in last few years but I've never given up.).. If u want it, go for it. I've learnt that other people won't go out their way to get you what u want. Its up to you. Work wise, look after number 1, everyone else is. 

Dagger Is Back
9 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Nice one. Great to read some good news 👏

6 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Based on an average stride length for a man it's 17.992 miles.. 

Just bought new, safety trainers off amazon 4 weeks ago (£35)  but I'll be using them to drive as they're acceptable for health and safety. 

I also have plantar fasciitis so not walking best part of 18 miles a day will help that heal... 

Yon plantar fasciitis can be bloody painful. 

13 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Nice one. Great to read some good news 👏

Yon plantar fasciitis can be bloody painful. 

Times last year it was literally cripplingly painful. Red wine and cuprofen (together) only things t h at dulled it. Weight loss and better footwear started on right path to fix it. 

Doctor FinnBarr
6 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Hope things, get better for you FS. 6 years constant backs I think I'd be deranged by now. Physical health would certainly be effected aswell! I was luckily never actually trained on the pick (despite being agency)... I was put on something else which actually helped me lose 4st and then trained on a more technical piece of machinery so was garaunteed to be on that every day. 

Unfortunately a few of the people I had to work with were just dick heads. I'm not into petty lies, crawling to management to clipe and complain about colleagues. 

My new position I'm on my own. I'll have a route and a van. Get on with it on my own terms (within reason of course). I feel a weight has been lifted, a change is as good as a rest as they say. 

I'll continue to look for better (I've applied for over 500 jobs in last few years but I've never given up.).. If u want it, go for it. I've learnt that other people won't go out their way to get you what u want. Its up to you. Work wise, look after number 1, everyone else is. 

This cliping and grassing seem's to be a normal warehouse thing.

Dagger Is Back
7 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Times last year it was literally cripplingly painful. Red wine and cuprofen (together) only things t h at dulled it. Weight loss and better footwear started on right path to fix it. 

Aye it’s one of these things where you can’t really understand the acute pain until you suffer from it. Glad the new job will help.