Favourite Hibernian player ever

A_A wehatethehibs

davemclaren

Eric Stevenson. 

he stayed three doors up from me when I was a kid. He took kids from the street to Easter Road to watch matches but I never accepted the bribe. I remember when Peter Marinello came to his house. The whole street was out to see Peter in his brown leather coat. 😄

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• Pasquale for King

• Morgan

• davemclaren

Recent player John McGinn, class lad. From my 90s era I rated Pat McGinlay. Burns sold him back to Hibs for some odd reason and kept his inferior buddy Grant in a shirt.

I met George Stewart many times when he part-owned the Chesser Inn. (My local when I worked in the Revenue and I was at the official opening.) He was a good guy, very pleasant.

Met Erich Schaedler in Dizzie Lizzies in 1984 (I was only 16😊).

He came up from his pub to crack open the charity whisky bottle. Cut his hand.

Still sat down at our table and chatted. Told him I was a Hearts fan and he was great. Said that the Hearts and Hibs players got on really well in the 1970's.

Nice bloke.

I feel almost dirty saying I had a favourite Hibs player but there is one, Paul Fenwick who played here locally and was a member of our Canadian National Team, I watched him play in college here and for Hamilton Steelers, it was hard for me not to like him!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Fenwick

Pat Stanton.

I went to his testimonial against Celtic all those years back when IRA bands paraded around the pitch during the match. #Pathetic

I detest the wee team, but he was a terrific player.

I believe he now pisses himself in his taxi every day.

Auldbenches
6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Eric Stevenson. 

he stayed three doors up from me when I was a kid. He took kids from the street to Easter Road to watch matches but I never accepted the bribe. I remember when Peter Marinello came to his house. The whole street was out to see Peter in his brown leather coat. 😄

Did Eric Stevenson have a local shop in Bonnyrigg? 

A_A wehatethehibs
15 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Favourite Hibernian player? Ewwww! 🤢

The thread was about our favourite calamitous clowns in green who’ve made our favourite car crash mistakes / bottled it on the big stage + flopped in derbies. But a few posters on the latest page seem to have missed that! 

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

He did indeed. 

No Idle Talk
17 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The thread was about our favourite calamitous clowns in green who’ve made our favourite car crash mistakes / bottled it on the big stage + flopped in derbies. But a few posters on the latest page seem to have missed that! 

Fair enough. That could be a long list though. 😄

I'll kick mine off with Joe Tortolano and Jimmy Boco.

Here’s another pair of useless muppets that turned out for them. Jorge Claros & Ryan McGivern 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

And the Waverley hotel

In case anyone took this thread seriously at all, I always thought Alex Cropley was a great player.  

weegie jambo

If it's a favorite clown you're looking for then it's hard to look beyond Zibi. However I'm of an age where my school pals and me would go to both Tynecastle and ER. The early 70's Hibs team was good and Peter Marinello was a cool dude and always worth watching.

Only Hibs player I ever recall wanting Hearts to sign was Willie Irvine. 

He had scored a lot of goals in a poor and defence minded Hibs team in 1983/84 and was, iirc, out of contract.

No Bosman, of course, so ourselves, and I think Aberdeen, offered £100k which Hibs declined.

In the end he was left with no option but to renew with Hibs. Stanton was sacked early the following season, he and Blackley fell out/didn't get on and Irvine was rarely seen again.

Hibs did free him when his contracted expired in 1986 and Alex McDonald took him on trial preseason. Sadly, the ship had sailed and we didn't sign him.

I suppose if we'd signed him in 1984 we wouldn't have bought Sandy Clark, who was outstanding for Hearts, but I've  always wondered how a Robbo/Irvine strike force would have fared.

On 22/05/2021 at 23:17, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’s quite incredible that he won 3 Scottish Championship medals with 3 different teams.

and not one with the weegies 

Class of 75

Lived next to Gordon Rae. Not a bad bloke for a Hibee but didn't like getting reminded about the goals wee Robbo scored against him. 😊😊

davemclaren
11 hours ago, martoon said:

Only Hibs player I ever recall wanting Hearts to sign was Willie Irvine. 

He had scored a lot of goals in a poor and defence minded Hibs team in 1983/84 and was, iirc, out of contract.

No Bosman, of course, so ourselves, and I think Aberdeen, offered £100k which Hibs declined.

In the end he was left with no option but to renew with Hibs. Stanton was sacked early the following season, he and Blackley fell out/didn't get on and Irvine was rarely seen again.

Hibs did free him when his contracted expired in 1986 and Alex McDonald took him on trial preseason. Sadly, the ship had sailed and we didn't sign him.

I suppose if we'd signed him in 1984 we wouldn't have bought Sandy Clark, who was outstanding for Hearts, but I've  always wondered how a Robbo/Irvine strike force would have fared.

Sandy Clark joined us summer 1982 I reckon. I do agree that Irvine was past it when he arrived at us. 

davemclaren
10 hours ago, Class of 75 said:

Lived next to Gordon Rae. Not a bad bloke for a Hibee but didn't like getting reminded about the goals wee Robbo scored against him. 😊😊

Gordon Rae and I stayed in the same street when growing up and were friends. 

14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Sandy Clark joined us summer 1982 I reckon. I do agree that Irvine was past it when he arrived at us. 

Sandy made his debut at Morton in October '84, dave. Scored in a 3-2 win.

Vividly recall it as after getting back to Edinburgh my girlfriend at the time and I were attacked by Hibs casuals outside the front of St. James Centre.

Nothing too serious. A brief scuffle and a lot of spit and missiles from the concourse above Leith Street but memorable just the same. 😊

Edited by martoon

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, martoon said:

Sandy made his debut at Morton in October '84, dave. Scored in a 3-2 win.

Vividly recall it as after getting back to Edinburgh my girlfriend at the time and I were attacked by Hibs casuals outside the front of St. James Centre.

Nothing too serious. A brief scuffle and a lot of spit and missiles from the concourse above Leith Street but memorable just the same. 😊

You’re correct. For some reason I was thinking of Sandy Jardine. 🤷‍♂️Don’t ask why - Age doesn’t come itself. 

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You’re correct. For some reason I was thinking of Sandy Jardine. 🤷‍♂️Don’t ask why - Age doesn’t come itself. 

😊