A very big moment today

tolcross lad

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'm fairly sure I remember we'd opened up against them in the league and suffered a couple of doings, before being much more conservative in the final, to our benefit

The way that final played out was dictated mostly by our early goal. Pretty sure both teams game plans went out the window after that. When you think back there wasn’t that many chances given up at either end. We were very conservative after 2-0 I agree.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• thewiseone

• OldGorgie

• tolcross lad

5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

People sometimes forget there are two teams playing. It’s not always as you want. 

When your playing better teams than you on paper, statistically you’ll rarely win. Astute managers work out the best possible chance of taking something from the game. I’ve never thought sitting off Celtic was wise. Try and contain Yes. Mark them out the game Yes. 2 solid banks of 4 Yes. Press the ball Yes  Having a bit of a go and making them work Yes. And even doing those things you still might lose and we usually do. We did none of those things well in the first half Dave. Sitting off and letting them have the ball virtually unchallenged up to 30 yards from goal and defending their chances deep. There’s only one way that’s finishing, even against an average Celtic team. Thankfully we changed it at half time to what it should have been to start with or we’d probably have been humiliated and very nearly won it from 2 down. 

You can’t tell me that first half was anything other than a tactical disaster from Neilson surely.

Edited by JimmyCant

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, tolcross lad said:

The club are the fans,the board,manager coaches,staff and players.

Try telling that to Ann Budge  😉 

3 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Any Hearts fan that doesn’t understand Hibs effing up in a cup final is something to celebrate and is great for Hearts, isn’t a Jambo.

Oh, I'm delighted they lost. Absolutely delighted.           

Surely we should be much more concerned about  what Hearts are going to do next season to make us celebrate ?   Top 6 and at least 1 good cup run might help.    Along with 3 or 4 derby wins, of course. ☺️

8 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Oh, I'm delighted they lost. Absolutely delighted.           

Surely we should be much more concerned about  what Hearts are going to do next season to make us celebrate ?   Top 6 and at least 1 good cup run might help.    Along with 3 or 4 derby wins, of course. 

Using a Hibs shambles to have a go at Hearts management is not only stupid but irrelevant. Nobody at Hearts takes any notice of JKB criticism or so called advice. Enjoy Hibs embarrassment. 

julienbrellier

It's not about clinging on to Hibs failures, that's really Hibs to do that. We are better than them, less petty, less pathetic. It doesn't mean it isn't hilarious to watch them Hibsit 3 times in the space of a year.

What is clear as people have mentioned on this thread is momentum. A second scottish win for them in a few years would have been huge and would have had them going into next season confident and with wind in their sails. I'm still sceptical about how we will do next season, we have the players to challenge for Europe no doubt, but we've been saying we have a strong squad etc for a few years. Hibs whatever anyone says are a rival team and you don't want them gaining an advantage. Confidence is huge in football.

Aidan Smith post-mortem  on Scotsman website

Full disclosure, the older I get, the more I enjoy AS articles. He's a good journalist, in my opinion, especially his profiles of players from the past, but he still has to believe in the flair myth (as in this passage)

It seems to be damning Saints with faint praise to say that the sum is greater than the parts; better to say they’re a proper, honest team and brilliantly coached, with only Wotherspoon’s shimmies capable of being deemed frills.

Hibs have plenty of frills but virtually none of them were showing. Boyle – disappointing in Hibs first two semis of the season – wasn’t giving the impression he was going to seize the day and with Nisbet not looking like he was ready to embrace the Hampden experience either, the team from Leith seemed over-praised.

When will they ever learn?

thewiseone
On 23/05/2021 at 16:57, luckydug said:

You are actually blaming the manager for a player missing a penalty ? 🤔 

Nope re again, this time!

thewiseone
On 23/05/2021 at 07:24, OldGorgie said:

Absolute nonsense. Have a look at our history and you will see a long list of games we could have won. It’s players who take part not managers. Games are lost usually because players fail to turn up as Hibs have consistently done in cup semi finals and finals.

Absolute garbage fella! Players merely reflect, have you no idea!

9 minutes ago, thewiseone said:

Absolute garbage fella! Players merely reflect, have you no idea!

Yes I agree your post was absolute garbage. Thanks for agreeing.

here’s me thinking it’s players that take part in games , when clearly you think it’s the coaching staff,

11 minutes ago, thewiseone said:

What would you know? 

Still smarting from Hibs getting horsed again?

thewiseone
5 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Still smarting from Hibs getting horsed again?

Couldnt give a monkeys about them. But now am starting to see it, another of the "small minded brigade". Because I have the audacity to have a go at our short comings on the day they lose the cup you like the other numptys have assumed........ give me strength! Grow up, should have left that sort of stuff in the playground. 

28 minutes ago, thewiseone said:

Couldnt give a monkeys about them. But now am starting to see it, another of the "small minded brigade". Because I have the audacity to have a go at our short comings on the day they lose the cup you like the other numptys have assumed........ give me strength! Grow up, should have left that sort of stuff in the playground. 

Aye ok I believe you...

Smoked-Glass
On 22/05/2021 at 18:59, tolcross lad said:

On the field of play for Hearts fans the last 6 years represent failure.Its been hard to be an HMFC supporter.Lets not mention Brora.The pendulum had definitely swung towards the Hibs.

3rd in league sitting on the John McGinn profit and looking at big money for Nisbet and Doig.(forget the Porteous nonsense)

Today is a big moment make no mistake.

Momentum gone for Hibs and their support.Asset players exposed as pretty average.Big operating losses and needing to sell players.

The wind has definitely gone from their sails today.

The pendulum rarely swings their way. 

I thought their 6-2 and 2016 cup win was decent for them but every other year has been ours. 

9 hours ago, thewiseone said:

Nobody’s more small minded or intellectually challenged than a defeated Hibbie. 

I think they have to look at this Season as a huge opportunity to win silverware.  SC Semi v a championship team then last 4 of League Cup with ST Johnstone, Livingston and St Mirren.  Then last 4 of SC with Dundee UTD, St Johnstone and St Mirren.  For a team that was the 3rd best in the league that's a massive massive miss.  It's rare getting to latter stages of a tournament with no OF left in it but they had that twice.  Hibsed.  

McGlynn The Money
23 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Aidan Smith post-mortem  on Scotsman website

Full disclosure, the older I get, the more I enjoy AS articles. He's a good journalist, in my opinion, especially his profiles of players from the past, but he still has to believe in the flair myth (as in this passage)

It seems to be damning Saints with faint praise to say that the sum is greater than the parts; better to say they’re a proper, honest team and brilliantly coached, with only Wotherspoon’s shimmies capable of being deemed frills.

Hibs have plenty of frills but virtually none of them were showing. Boyle – disappointing in Hibs first two semis of the season – wasn’t giving the impression he was going to seize the day and with Nisbet not looking like he was ready to embrace the Hampden experience either, the team from Leith seemed over-praised.

When will they ever learn?

He just writes virtually the same thing every week yet somehow gets away with it. The Janey Godley of columnists.

Usually a reference to on of his favourite bands from his youth, Turnbull's Tornadoes and Hearts being cloggers/establishment/ masons etc etc. I used to quite enjoy reading him but now a complete and utter bore.

29 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

He just writes virtually the same thing every week yet somehow gets away with it. The Janey Godley of columnists.

Usually a reference to on of his favourite bands from his youth, Turnbull's Tornadoes and Hearts being cloggers/establishment/ masons etc etc. I used to quite enjoy reading him but now a complete and utter bore.

That's a pretty good appraisal of the output of a certain genre of post-Irvine Welsh Hibs commentary.

We're an unpretentious bunch over Gorgie way, almost as if football is a game involving feet and a ball.

McGlynn The Money

Aidan Smith now trying to convince himself and other Hibbies that last week was worse than the 19th of May 2012. So far he seems to be in a minority of one.

davemclaren
29 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Aidan Smith now trying to convince himself and other Hibbies that last week was worse than the 19th of May 2012. So far he seems to be in a minority of one.

Aidan getting desperate.  

On 23/05/2021 at 21:28, Rudy T said:

I think it’s a big moment for Hibs, the value of these so called superstars has probably dropped, the lift in Season Tickets sales and merchandise sales from a cup win has gone but more importantly their 3rd place finish had earned them very little in terms of European revenue.

They’ll lose Nisbet, Boyle and Doig for how much is anyone’s guess but they need replaced and that’s not easy when 2 are your main source of goals. 

It feels like they are actively punting these boys around. They are desperate due to being skint. 

Sad news for them is all three are pish and they won’t get the millions they expect for them. 

Silvery_Moon
On 23/05/2021 at 15:25, JimmyCant said:

We didn’t sit in, we sat off. We hardly touched the ball. We barely laid a glove on them, barely put a meaningful challenge in and we were very lucky only to be 2 down. It was only when we came out second half on the front foot that we realised how vulnerable they were from midfield backwards and what a colossal error our first half tactics were. We were shit scared of the monster in the cupboard and when we opened the cupboard door and put the light on, we realised there was no monster. Everyone else who had played them in the weeks before that final also knew there was no monster. I think that was the only 45 minutes all season they had complete and absolute control of a game. Every single fan on here leading up to that game urged a front foot performance from the start, we got the opposite for the first half

Good Post. 

That first half was incredibly frustrating because as you say, we could see before the final that Celtic were there for the taking that day. 

davemclaren
3 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Good Post. 

That first half was incredibly frustrating because as you say, we could see before the final that Celtic were there for the taking that day. 

We should have won it 3 - 0. 

McGlynn The Money
On 30/05/2021 at 09:44, davemclaren said:

Aidan getting desperate.  

He really is. Like a lot of Hibbies (if not most of them) his mask soon slips and he is just as bitter and obsessed with Hearts as all the rest.

On 22/05/2021 at 19:23, jamboinglasgow said:

I thought Jack Ross' comments after the match was telling, basically washing his hands of what will happen in the summer with players going.

I'm pretty sure they'll make a good profit and spend it wisely on the next £250/300k promising player at another club. It keeps them ticking over. McGinn, Nisbet and it would not surprise me if they end up going for the 17 goal midfielder at St Mirren...Jamie McGrath. There's also the Jack Ross/St Mirren link there. It's the sort of thing they do and we don't. 

I'm more concerned about who the hell we'll end up signing. No more has-beens or never have beens please Hearts!

• 6 months later...

Another big moment today.We have been overtaking them.Higher in the league.Future secure through fan ownership.Infrastructure in place.Bigger attendances.Today was an opportunity to stall our momentum over them.Didnt happen.

Naisys Tackle
24 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

Another big moment today.We have been overtaking them.Higher in the league.Future secure through fan ownership.Infrastructure in place.Bigger attendances.Today was an opportunity to stall our momentum over them.Didnt happen.

Nah they're going doon faster than their mother/sister/gf.

27 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

We should never under estimate how their continued failure seeps into their whole being. Barring a 2016 purple patch they have an ingrained losers mentality. Club and supporters.

We need to give them a doing on the 3rd. After they come back from the winter break all they'll have to look forward to is bottom 6 football and checking out how John Mcginns getting on

Edited by Jonkel Hoon

Montgomery Brewster
Just now, Jonkel Hoon said:

We should never under estimate how their continued failure seeps into their whole being. Barring a 2016 purple patch they have an ingrained losers mentality. Club and supporters.

We need to give them a doing on the 3rd. After they come back from the winter break all they'll have to look forward to is. Bottom 6 football and checking out how John Mcginns getting on

Correct !

**** them !!! FTH. GORGIE RULES

Bazzas right boot
50 minutes ago, tolcross lad said:

Nah, them winning the lc wouldn't have stalled or done anything to stop the path we're on. 

St Johnstone won 2 cups last season while we were in the championship. 

We now have more than double their points and they are bottom. 

We need to be positive in our operation and not be detracted by what other teams do or in today's case don't do.👍