The BBC

Howdy Doody Jambo

scottishguy
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

What about the world service?

Is what the rest of the world gets for free, while we are supposed to pay for it?

Sounds a great deal eh!!!

The paparazzi and the likes of the sun and Mail pointing fingers at the BBC.  :facepalm:

It's like Uefa and the ESL or the British and the Germans. 

The Mighty Thor
5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I don't give a flying one about this latest story. Dead Di said exactly what she wanted to in that interview. She had advisors who made sure that her message would be heard loud and clear. The fact that the BBC are cowering to a moral backlash led by the likes of The Sun and The Mail who literally hounded Diana to her death sickens me. 

This. 

That interview was happening regardless of whether it was with Bashir/BBC or someone else. 

There's another narrative at play here too with definite echoes of that time. The pious pish being trotted out by the Sun/Mail/Express against the BBC running alongside the vilification of Harry and particularly his wife, talking constantly of the rift at the heart of the Royal family, meanwhile promoting the rift with 20 page spreads of William and his vacuous,  social climbing, reproductive Centre, bint of a wife. 

Hopefully when Brenda goes they dismantle the whole sorry lot of them. 

6 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I am pro BBC and despair at how vulnerable it is to cheap shots. 

Others have already mentioned 6Music and CBeebies. What about bitesize and how much of a godsend that was when schools were out of bounds? What about the world service? TV dramas, documentaries that few other channels would carry, radio 4... The BBC gives us so much that just wouldn't be there if it were left to Murdoch, Rothermere and the Barclay brothers. 

Folk claim the BBC is right-leaning in virtually the same numbers as those who claim it is left-leaning. That suggests to me that they have got it about right. 

Do they get everything right? Of course not, but they don't prey on and manipulate the feeble minded in the way that Murdoch and Rothermere do. 

I don't give a flying one about this latest story. Dead Di said exactly what she wanted to in that interview. She had advisors who made sure that her message would be heard loud and clear. The fact that the BBC are cowering to a moral backlash led by the likes of The Sun and The Mail who literally hounded Diana to her death sickens me. 

The worst bit of all is that that fat, incompetent buffoon fokker of a man that we have as prime minister has now got licence to tear into the BBC and rip it apart; leaving us with his paymasters controlling what we see and hear. 

I've said it before: cherish what we have now because, when it's gone, you'll miss it and you won't be able to get it back. 

Spot on.

Absolutely spot on.

manaliveits105
4 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Spot on.

Absolutely spot on.

Indeed - God forbid we were only  left with the standards of  GMB, This Morning and Loose Women  

9 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Indeed - God forbid we were only  left with the standards of  GMB, This Morning and Loose Women  

Wait til FoxNews UK arrives. Sorry GBNews.

Edited by ri Alban

You'd think more politicians of every colour would get a gig on telly. Seems natural. 

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, scottishguy said:

Is what the rest of the world gets for free, while we are supposed to pay for it?

Sounds a great deal eh!!!

Well, if that's the way you want to slant your description of a service which has not only been a constant source of information for Brits abroad (including the military) but has also created massive respect and trust for our country around the world in countries where national media is simply government propaganda or a mouthpiece for wealthy extremists, I suppose you may have a point. 

7 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Others have already mentioned 6Music and CBeebies. What about bitesize and how much of a godsend that was when schools were out of bounds? What about the world service? TV dramas, documentaries that few other channels would carry, radio 4... The BBC gives us so much that just wouldn't be there if it were left to Murdoch, Rothermere and the Barclay brothers. 

Folk claim the BBC is right-leaning in virtually the same numbers as those who claim it is left-leaning. That suggests to me that they have got it about right. 

Do they get everything right? Of course not, but they don't prey on and manipulate the feeble minded in the way that Murdoch and Rothermere do. 

The worst bit of all is that that fat, incompetent buffoon fokker of a man that we have as prime minister has now got licence to tear into the BBC and rip it apart; leaving us with his paymasters controlling what we see and hear. 

I've said it before: cherish what we have now because, when it's gone, you'll miss it and you won't be able to get it back. 

Nailed it.

The tabloids currently clutching their pearls only regret is that they missed the scoop.

If mobile phones had been more common in the 90s, they'd have been tapping Diana's faster than Fred Astaire on speed.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Wait til FoxNews UK arrives. Sorry GBNews.

Can't wait personally. Andrew Neil is a clever guy and a fine Scotsman too🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Can't wait personally. Andrew Neil is a clever guy and a fine Scotsman too🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

:rofl:

dobmisterdobster

It's 2021 not 1991. You all think the BBC, ITN and tabloid newspapers are the only media outlets in town.

Auldbenches

Why is the whole BBC getting trashed when things like the Diana stuff etc are down to bbc news?   It's not the bbc that needs reformed, it's journalism and the media.  The funniest thing about all this is others in the media taking the moral high ground.   

These are non issues anyway that no one is interested in but our media will spend weeks giving more attention to this than kids dying in Israel and Palestine.   

It's not as if the royals won't be using this issue to help with marketing themselves.  

It's the media in general that should be getting question, not other aspects of the bbc.  

Wtf has bbc sport or music got to do with what happened?

45 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Why is the whole BBC getting trashed when things like the Diana stuff etc are down to bbc news?   It's not the bbc that needs reformed, it's journalism and the media.  The funniest thing about all this is others in the media taking the moral high ground.   

These are non issues anyway that no one is interested in but our media will spend weeks giving more attention to this than kids dying in Israel and Palestine.   

It's not as if the royals won't be using this issue to help with marketing themselves.  

It's the media in general that should be getting question, not other aspects of the bbc.  

Wtf has bbc sport or music got to do with what happened?

Because the current government want to destroy the BBC.

That's the only reason.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Because the current government want to destroy the BBC.

That's the only reason.

They want to destroy any media they have a stake in. The process has already started on Ch4 

The cheek of the various tabloids (Sun, and Mail especially) and the Prime Minister (fired twice as a journalist for lying) daring to attack the BBC over journalistic integrity shows what a joke of a nation we are.

The Real Maroonblood
22 minutes ago, Cade said:

The cheek of the various tabloids (Sun, and Mail especially) and the Prime Minister (fired twice as a journalist for lying) daring to attack the BBC over journalistic integrity shows what a joke of a nation we are.

It’s laughable.

A Boy Named Crow
On 22/05/2021 at 00:35, The Real Maroonblood said:

:rofl:

Pathologists chasing suspects.

Now now, Quincy was great telly back in the day!

8 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

Hopefully one day he returns to Paisley and I bump into him. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Now now, Quincy was great telly back in the day!

He was some guy. 

HartleyLegend3
On 21/05/2021 at 10:42, The Maroon Pound said:

What do you think of the BBC? 

Value, content, views, agenda, opinions just listening to a discussion on Talkradio just now, very interesting 

ElBU-fuWAAIaM1I.jpg

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Do you know him?

A Boy Named Crow
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

3 hours ago, weehammy said:

He eats cyber hard cases like you for breakfast.

I saw AN walking out the BBC in London, years ago. He's a surprisingly wee fella. I reckon without his production crew there to back him up, Ri could deck him.

3 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I saw AN walking out the BBC in London, years ago. He's a surprisingly wee fella. I reckon without his production crew there to back him up, Ri could deck him.

I want his wig, or at least fed it. 

7 hours ago, weehammy said:

He eats cyber hard cases like you for breakfast.

Maybe, but you fecking wuidnae. 

Edited by ri Alban

dobmisterdobster

Andrew Neil is a multi-millionaire who lives in London and the south of France.

I doubt he would ever step foot in a shite hole like Paisley again.

Jambo-Jimbo

Dorothy Byrne the ex-head of CH4 news was on Sky this morning and she was sticking the boot right into Bashir.

Intimated that it was an open secret within the industry that Bashir was dodgy and had been for years, so much so that when she was head of CH4 news she wouldn't have let him in the front door of CH4 news let alone give him a job.  She added that many journalists over many years had wondered how Bashir had managed to get this scoop and that scoop, she is now calling on all of his major scoops to be investigated.

It was pretty clear that Bashir isn't on her Christmas card list.

Governor Tarkin
On 22/05/2021 at 00:17, I P Knightley said:

:spoton:

On 21/05/2021 at 10:46, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Scrap the licence fee, after the latest shenanigans it has to happen now.

As for the programmes, mostly pish imo, apart from wildlife/nature documentaries, the BBC are good at them.

Yeah, everything else is shit these days. They don't even make a decent comedy anymore.

However I am an avid listener to 6 music, which is top drawer.

Edited by Marvin

On our way back from a play centre with our daughter this morning and on the way back,  she wanted to watch videos, so off went the Bookbugs CD and on went the radio.

Unfortunately my wife got there first and put on Heart FM.

Asides from the (IMO) crap music, it's the endless adverts that grate.

Having licence fee funded radio stations without adverts is a good thing no?

(that and not having to pander to limited mainstream taste).

dobmisterdobster
23 minutes ago, Costanza said:

On our way back from a play centre with our daughter this morning and on the way back,  she wanted to watch videos, so off went the Bookbugs CD and on went the radio.

Unfortunately my wife got there first and put on Heart FM.

Asides from the (IMO) crap music, it's the endless adverts that grate.

Having licence fee funded radio stations without adverts is a good thing no?

(that and not having to pander to limited mainstream taste).

Have you heard of this magical thing called the internet? Spotify, Apple Music, Youtube, Podcasts.

Traditional linear television and FM radio stations are going to die in the next few decades.

5 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Have you heard of this magical thing called the internet? Spotify, Apple Music, Youtube, Podcasts.

Traditional linear television and FM radio stations are going to die in the next few decades.

No I haven't heard of them, despite typing this on the internet and being an avid consumer of music, but thanks for the heads up.

I completely disagree on radio, particularly digital. There will always be a large market for curated music shows,  particularly with informative and entertaining DJs.

I get more suggestions on new music from DJs than a Spotify algorithm (cheaper too), although that might be because I'm a lazy git.

dobmisterdobster
16 minutes ago, Costanza said:

No I haven't heard of them, despite typing this on the internet and being an avid consumer of music, but thanks for the heads up.

I completely disagree on radio, particularly digital. There will always be a large market for curated music shows,  particularly with informative and entertaining DJs.

I get more suggestions on new music from DJs than a Spotify algorithm (cheaper too), although that might be because I'm a lazy git.

I did say FM radio tbf. DAB is an inferior standard, very low bit-rate.

There will always be a market for disc jockeys, talk radio etc which is already transitioning to online streaming and apps.

You can listen to nearly every radio station on the internet already.

19 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I did say FM radio tbf. DAB is an inferior standard, very low bit-rate.

There will always be a market for disc jockeys, talk radio etc which is already transitioning to online streaming and apps.

You can listen to nearly every radio station on the internet already.

Ah yeah fair dos, agree on FM; the only FM I listen to would be Radio Scotland for Hearts games funnily enough.

I suppose the point for me on BBC radio is for stations like 6Music which will play non mainstream stuff which ordinarily wouldn't find its way on commercial radio and in turn feef into the live circuit. Accept there's an element of age there in terms of how I consume music and buy it, but do think we would lose something if BBC radio disappeared.

The internet and apps like Radio Garden are excellent for worldwide radio agreed.

On 22/05/2021 at 00:17, I P Knightley said:

:spoton:

Jambo_jim2001

Still game,the last decent thing i watched on bbc,its more english biased,hell they even have scotland,wales and northern ireland down as regions instead of countries,rips my knitten,even worse scottish news means glasgow area as are major tabloids glasgow biased