The BBC

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

What do you think of the BBC? 

Value, content, views, agenda, opinions just listening to a discussion on Talkradio just now, very interesting 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

Jambo-Jimbo

Scrap the licence fee, after the latest shenanigans it has to happen now.

As for the programmes, mostly pish imo, apart from wildlife/nature documentaries, the BBC are good at them.

It should be taken under immediate special measures and managed by a government appointed board.  The entire structure and culture overhauled before returning it to a quasi-commercial basis.  Between Saville and now this,  they've proved that they're institutionally corrupt,  dishonest and borderline criminal.  Bashir should be prosecuted for what he did and Lord Hall and others should be prosecuted for assisting an offender / attempting to defeat justice,  etc.  

Spends equal amounts of time enraging the left and the right.

Always been a government mouthpiece, no matter who was in power.

Moving further and further right with it's news and politics coverage.

Wastes an incredible amount of money on pish.

BBC Scotland has an annual budget of about seven quid.

17 minutes ago, Boof said:

Sports coverage in Scotland is abysmal.

Mostly because BBC Scotland is funded as a Region and doesn't get a per capita share of the enormous ringfenced national sports budget.  

Салатные палочки

BBC Scotland is decent. Apart from that I only really watch Line of Duty on their main channels.  

The sham Lord Hall investigation of Bashir and the culture of intimidation of whistleblowers both seriously degrade the BBC's credibility to report verifiable,  fact checked,  cross corroborated news.  I would even argue the the BBC Trust or the government could pursue those involved for the damage they've caused to a vital national broadcaster.  Hall should serve jail time.

professorfate

I only watch sportscene on the bbc now gave up with match of the day sick of the squeaky clean pundits like Jermaine jeans.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Apart from Sir David Attenborough it's a sham and a con.

This.

professorfate

The bbc preyed on a poor paranoid vulnerable woman who felt isolated disgraceful.

SectionDJambo

The thing with that Diana interview was that the now outraged British public thought it was great journalism at the time. Another opportunity to have a kick at an already unpopular Royal Family. Nobody questioned any motives that Bashir, or the likes of Diana's butler, had for using her to make money for themselves. Diana was a great manipulator of the press, but she got shafted with this one. It just pushed her further away from rational thought, which ended up with her hitching up with Al Fayed which she knew would annoy the establishment due to his father's constant attempts to gain British citizenship.

Whether or not you think their should be a Royal Family, it's a tragic affair which is now causing friction between Diana's sons, which again the British public can't get enough of and are enthusiastically taking sides. Without the British public's appetite for poking it's nose into these peoples' private lives the likes of Bashir wouldn't have made any impression, and Diana may not have met the end that she did. And now the same British public are tutting and shaking their heads at the people who fed them the gossip they craved.

Jambo-Jimbo

I think a large part of the problems with the BBC is that they know they have a guaranteed income via the licence fee, if they had to work for the money the corporation received, then proper governance would have to be a priority.

There was one of the original whistleblowers being interviewed this morning, he was a senior producer on Panorama a position he'd held for 10 years, when in late 1995 he found out what Bashir had done, he approached a BBC lawyer for advice.  The advice was that he needed to report it up the chain of command, which he did, 24 hrs later he was removed from his position as a Panorama producer, being told that the BBC only employ loyal employees.  This kind of fear culture allowed Saville et al to operate with impunity because nobody reported anything for fear of losing their jobs.

As for Martin Bashir, I would hope that the authorities are looking closely at the forgery and counterfeiting act 1981, to see if any criminal offence has occured here.

Total rip off, folk pay to have propaganda and agenda pumped into their homes, it's a joke. Thankfully, I've never paid for a TV licence in my puff. 

Over the decades they have make some monumental mistakes, 

Savile, Cliff, Diana to name a few. Time it was privatised or shut down.

dobmisterdobster

Keep it as a stripped down public service broadcaster. Not as the behemoth that it is right now.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

The thing with that Diana interview was that the now outraged British public thought it was great journalism at the time. Another opportunity to have a kick at an already unpopular Royal Family. Nobody questioned any motives that Bashir, or the likes of Diana's butler, had for using her to make money for themselves. Diana was a great manipulator of the press, but she got shafted with this one. It just pushed her further away from rational thought, which ended up with her hitching up with Al Fayed which she knew would annoy the establishment due to his father's constant attempts to gain British citizenship.

Whether or not you think their should be a Royal Family, it's a tragic affair which is now causing friction between Diana's sons, which again the British public can't get enough of and are enthusiastically taking sides. Without the British public's appetite for poking it's nose into these peoples' private lives the likes of Bashir wouldn't have made any impression, and Diana may not have met the end that she did. And now the same British public are tutting and shaking their heads at the people who fed them the gossip they craved.

I agree with this.

Digging up a 26 year old scandal involving Her Holiness Saint Diana as a pretext to decimating the BBC board is pathetic, even by the standards of this current government.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Keep it as a stripped down public service broadcaster. Not as the behemoth that it is right now.

Agreed. The original benefit of the BBC was that it was commercial free. Now it has more adverts for its own crap products than the commercial channels have for adverts that are at least paid for. 

PBS in the States is a model worth looking at. Quality without dross competing with worst of commercial TV.

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, Cade said:

Digging up a 26 year old scandal involving Her Holiness Saint Diana as a pretext to decimating the BBC board is pathetic, even by the standards of this current government.

Agreed. Diana deserves as much criticism as Bashir for her terrible act as a wronged whimpering  innocent. Interviewer and interviewee combined to make it unwatchable drivel. Speaking as a republican.

Lots of better reasons for looking to reform the BBC.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Agreed. I seem to be on a rare roll of agreeing with posts!

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The likes of Line of duty, Luther, Doctor Who and Silent Witness are brilliant. 

:rofl:

Pathologists chasing suspects.

It's good to see Boris Johnson has spoken out about this stain on British journalism.

After all if there's one area he has unarguable expertise in, it's journalists who lie when writing a story then subsequently lose their job when their lies are exposed.

30 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:rofl:

Pathologists chasing suspects.

:D I know. But it's still good. 

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:D I know. But it's still good. 

I liked it with Amanda Burton but it just got so exaggerated.

Seymour M Hersh
6 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Apart from Sir David Attenborough it's a sham and a con.

He's well past is sell by date just as the BBC is. 

The Mighty Thor

There will be a good number of people who will be more than happy to see Martin Bashir and the BBC hung out to dry here.

The Royal family will be near the top. The more it's someone else's fault the less questions they face. 

Love the Sun chirping up about journalistic standards and shenanigans. Quality 😂

John Findlay

The problem nowadays for left leaning parties, is that unlike when I was growing up as a child in mainly Royston and West Pilton is that everyone who lived on those schemes and the other schemes in Edinburgh were tenants of Edinburgh council. Nowadays you will be lucky if its 33% of people living in these schemes are council tenants. The large majority are either homeowners or like myself private renters. Unlike when I was growing up in the 60s/70s there was not many cars in the streets, nowadays you can easily argue there are to many in the streets. 

Bairns can no longer play football in the street due to the numbers of cars. 

Whether left leaning people like it or not, the clock is not going to go backwards. People will not give up what they believe they have worked hard to attain.

There has to be a radical rethink from our politicians and alas that doesnt appear to be happening anytime soon.

SpruceBringsteen

I mind someone telling me I'd miss the BBC when I moved over here. Still laugh at that one. :lol:

maroonlegions
7 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

What do you think of the BBC? 

Value, content, views, agenda, opinions just listening to a discussion on Talkradio just now, very interesting 

Tory broadcasting company. Conflicts of "interest" have followed this institution for years. No surprises that the current BBC chief has Tory party links.  

40 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The problem nowadays for left leaning parties, is that unlike when I was growing up as a child in mainly Royston and West Pilton is that everyone who lived on those schemes and the other schemes in Edinburgh were tenants of Edinburgh council. Nowadays you will be lucky if its 33% of people living in these schemes are council tenants. The large majority are either homeowners or like myself private renters. Unlike when I was growing up in the 60s/70s there was not many cars in the streets, nowadays you can easily argue there are to many in the streets. 

Whether left leaning people like it or not, the clock is not going to go backwards. People will not give up what they believe they have worked hard to attain.

There has to be a radical rethink from our politicians and alas that doesnt appear to be happening anytime soon.

Wrong thread surely? 

maroonlegions
37 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Promises thats all they spin. 

Poverty is hidden.

Thats why we have the BBC, it manipulates facts and figures. Channel 4 documentaries  has everyone believing that the poor are just scroungers with ten tvs, sky boxes in every room and blow their dole money on fags and  booze . 

The media have too much power.

4 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

The marriage was over and Diana was being harassed by the media well before the interview. 

I get the impression the BBC are being blamed for everything including her death somehow starting it all. Good that Prince William doesn't blame his Dad I suppose.

The bigger concern is the culture of management disregard of anyone making complaints which is not unusual. The people protecting Saville correctly mentioned now. But plenty other examples of that including otherwise reputable charities. 

Overall diversity and competition is changing attitudes to former monopolies like the BBC that were used to being in control. Its still massively respected overseas and still responsible for some brilliant programming. 

This should be about proper governance and listening more especially to your own staff. 

maroonlegions
7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The marriage was over and Diana was being harassed by the media well before the interview. 

I get the impression the BBC are being blamed for everything including her death somehow starting it all. Good that Prince William doesn't blame his Dad I suppose.

The bigger concern is the culture of management disregard of anyone making complaints which is not unusual. The people protecting Saville correctly mentioned now. But plenty other examples of that including otherwise reputable charities. 

Overall diversity and competition is changing attitudes to former monopolies like the BBC that were used to being in control. Its still massively respected overseas and still responsible for some brilliant programming. 

This should be about proper governance and listening more especially to your own staff. 

Dont worry the Tories get a cut from the liance fee. 

Tory run media empire.  

No doubt about it. They pander to the tories.

John Findlay
24 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Promises thats all they spin. 

Poverty is hidden.

Thats why we have the BBC, it manipulates facts and figures. Channel 4 documentaries  has everyone believing that the poor are just scroungers with ten tvs, sky boxes in every room and blow their dole money on fags and  booze . 

The media have too much power.

Do you consider that you yourself live in poverty?

Do you live in council property on a housing scheme?

If you answer yes to both of the above, then what is your, no one else's solution to end this? What would you personally do?

SectionDJambo
52 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Dont worry the Tories get a cut from the liance fee. 

Tory run media empire.  

No doubt about it. They pander to the tories.

More than a bit ironic that Johnson says he concerned about the BBC skulduggery and subsequent cover up. This from a man who lies as easily as he breathes.

Do most folk still pay the licence fee? I still do but I'm hearing more and more folk deleting the direct debit and just refusing to pay. Sounds a bit iffy if you still have sky or a TV aerial surely?

Should be protected at all costs.

Compare 6Music to commercial radio for starters.

Plus I owe the BBC for hours of 'babysitting' via CBeebies.

Not happy about some of the salaries and payoffs especially when over 75s are being asked to stump up the fee. If they weren't all nawbags you can bet Nicola would have had that in her giveaways in place of one or two of the wain freebies. 

Don't worry, the BBC will be officially the EBC and us in Scotland won't have to GaF about it anymore. 

Mac_fae_Gillie

This occurred in 1995, the media operated pretty much how they wanted back then.. News International event changed things a few years ago the only real issue now is the BBC trying to hide these cases but every organisation from Major Companies to the Church or Football Clubs and Political Parties are guilty of covering up bad press.. So great its been reported on and hopefully some rules and regulations are brought in to prevent a repeat  but don't see much else required.. But I am always up for no license fee(waste of money as I never watch TV only Prime and Netflix and now Disney).

I P Knightley

I am pro BBC and despair at how vulnerable it is to cheap shots. 

Others have already mentioned 6Music and CBeebies. What about bitesize and how much of a godsend that was when schools were out of bounds? What about the world service? TV dramas, documentaries that few other channels would carry, radio 4... The BBC gives us so much that just wouldn't be there if it were left to Murdoch, Rothermere and the Barclay brothers. 

Folk claim the BBC is right-leaning in virtually the same numbers as those who claim it is left-leaning. That suggests to me that they have got it about right. 

Do they get everything right? Of course not, but they don't prey on and manipulate the feeble minded in the way that Murdoch and Rothermere do. 

I don't give a flying one about this latest story. Dead Di said exactly what she wanted to in that interview. She had advisors who made sure that her message would be heard loud and clear. The fact that the BBC are cowering to a moral backlash led by the likes of The Sun and The Mail who literally hounded Diana to her death sickens me. 

The worst bit of all is that that fat, incompetent buffoon fokker of a man that we have as prime minister has now got licence to tear into the BBC and rip it apart; leaving us with his paymasters controlling what we see and hear. 

I've said it before: cherish what we have now because, when it's gone, you'll miss it and you won't be able to get it back. 

SectionDJambo
11 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The fact that the BBC are cowering to a moral backlash led by the likes of The Sun and The Mail who literally hounded Diana to her death sickens me. 

This is probably the worst aspect of this affair. News media organisations who were enthusiastically sticking the boot in to the Royals, at the time of Bashir’s interview, now trying to take the high moral ground when they are still peddling tittle tattle about them, knowing the damage they are doing to individual human beings. The same media organisations who are now backing the Royals to the hilt against one of Diana’s sons.
There is little doubt that Diana said what she wanted to say, but her paranoia and sense of wanting to get her own back were encouraged by these leeches.

The BBC hierarchy of the time have severely damaged the integrity of the only national broadcaster who shouldn’t have a hidden agenda and they have utterly destroyed the reputation of the Panorama brand of honest and reliable investigation that the Dimbleby’s in particular built up over many years.

Cairneyhill Jambo
28 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I am pro BBC and despair at how vulnerable it is to cheap shots. 

Others have already mentioned 6Music and CBeebies. What about bitesize and how much of a godsend that was when schools were out of bounds? What about the world service? TV dramas, documentaries that few other channels would carry, radio 4... The BBC gives us so much that just wouldn't be there if it were left to Murdoch, Rothermere and the Barclay brothers. 

Folk claim the BBC is right-leaning in virtually the same numbers as those who claim it is left-leaning. That suggests to me that they have got it about right. 

Do they get everything right? Of course not, but they don't prey on and manipulate the feeble minded in the way that Murdoch and Rothermere do. 

I don't give a flying one about this latest story. Dead Di said exactly what she wanted to in that interview. She had advisors who made sure that her message would be heard loud and clear. The fact that the BBC are cowering to a moral backlash led by the likes of The Sun and The Mail who literally hounded Diana to her death sickens me. 

The worst bit of all is that that fat, incompetent buffoon fokker of a man that we have as prime minister has now got licence to tear into the BBC and rip it apart; leaving us with his paymasters controlling what we see and hear. 

I've said it before: cherish what we have now because, when it's gone, you'll miss it and you won't be able to get it back. 

The only one who will miss it is Gary Lineker who will miss his £1.75m a year salary yet they have the cheek to abolish free tv licences to over 75s.