NHL playoffs

Jimmy McNulty

Just now, Tazio said:

He’s the reason I’m a Habs fan. One of the sports shows on a Saturday in the 70’s started showing hockey highlights and he just seemed so far ahead of any other player on the rink. And played the game differently to everyone else. 

For some reason the Canadiens always seem to have a superstar , Dryden, Cournoyer, Beliveau,so many, I was never a Canadiens fan, started with the Leafs and then when Canucks came into the league, as I had watched them in the minors I continued to follow them, there first captain was Orland Kurtenbach one day I was in a large store and I saw Kurt, he was an idol to my son so I went and I apologised for bothering him and told him my son who was a big fan of his had just had his tonsils out and could Kurt give me an autograph, he said sure but I just live across the road come on over I have a picture he can have, so he took me and autographed the picture for Robert. a few years later I was in uniform getting my season ticket, the manager and one of his cohorts came in and made some crack about the police, I said the police should be here because this ticket is theft with what you are giving the coach to put on the ice, Kurt was the coach. He heard what was going on an invited me in he said it was good of me to support him and he appreciated it, I told him I appreciated him giving me a picture and his autograph. I know this is no Canadiens, bu Kurt is an example of why I love the sport the teams and most of the players.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gershwin

• Chester™

• JamboInSouthsea

• alwaysthereinspirit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

With the Canucks officially out of the reckoning for the playoffs, it's now a case of either a) siding with my son in supporting the Capitals, or b) winding him up by supporting the teams they play against.

Side with another Canadian team.  That way, you'll get to experience the usual level of disappointment you get as a Hearts supporter. :wink:

HeartsandonlyHearts

All 16 play off teams now confirmed. Just need to finalize the seedlings. Hopefully the Bruins get either wild card #1 and play the Canes. Or move up to seed #3 in the East and play the Leafs. Don’t want Panthers in the first round. They’re an offensive beast.

Love play off hockey.

36 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Quite like the Flames for no other reason than I liked their badge as a kid.

My best mate is a Leafs fan after having lived in TO. He describes it as a very similar experience to being a Hearts fan :( 

Your mate is not far wrong.  The last time the Leafs won the Cup, or even made it to the final,  was in 1967.  In 1967 there were only 6 teams in the NHL.  

I'm a Leaf fan too, but they really have an appalling playoff record.  For that reason, I'm paying only marginal interest this year until (unless) they get past the first round of the playoffs.  I've been let down too many times.  They have an uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Yeah I can pick teams Hearts went fifty years without a cup, Canucks are more than that and don't even look like making the play offs in my time if i even live to 110. My wife used to say Rob as far as teams are concerned you can sure pick "em  of course she went further by suggesting  using the same system I used when looking for a wife, when I got a pure winner.

Edited by Sharpie

Maple Leaf
13 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Yeah I can pick teams Hearts went fifty years without a cup, Canucks are more than that and don't even look like making the play offs in my time if i even live to 110. My wife used to say Rob as far as teams are concerned you can sure pick "em  of course she went further by suggesting  using the same system I used when looking for a wife, when I got a pure winner.

We're loyal to Hearts because we love them, not for any daft reason like success on the field.  We were both lucky in our choice of wife and married the best.  Fortunately for me, my wife had lower standards.

I doubt if you love the Canucks, and I certainly don't love the Leafs, although we both support our local teams and hope for their success.  At least the Canucks made it to the Stanley Cup finals in 1994, and lost by the narrowest of margins.  The Leafs haven't made the finals since 1967.  54 years and counting!!  Woeful.

Leafs are the 4th best team in the NHL this year and have the leading scorer in Auston Matthews, but they'll still get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs, for the 6th consecutive year.  I've set my expectations at the appropriate level. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

We're loyal to Hearts because we love them, not for any daft reason like success on the field.  We were both lucky in our choice of wife and married the best.  Fortunately for me, my wife had lower standards.

I doubt if you love the Canucks, and I certainly don't love the Leafs, although we both support our local teams and hope for their success.  At least the Canucks made it to the Stanley Cup finals in 1994, and lost by the narrowest of margins.  The Leafs haven't made the finals since 1967.  54 years and counting!!  Woeful.

Leafs are the 4th best team in the NHL this year and have the leading scorer in Auston Matthews, but they'll still get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs, for the 6th consecutive year.  I've set my expectations at the appropriate level. :biggrin:

Yes its fine for you you can identify your lowest level as a Canucks fan even that :sadrobbo:is out of sight.

CalgaryJambo

The 2022 Playoffs are underway, living in Calgary I’m a Flames fan. I go to games at the Saddledome - I’ll be at some playoff games as ticket availability allows. First round we have Dallas. Hopefully we go far this year as we have a decent team. Does anybody else support an NHL team? Go Flames Go!

2 hours ago, CalgaryJambo said:

The 2022 Playoffs are underway, living in Calgary I’m a Flames fan. I go to games at the Saddledome - I’ll be at some playoff games as ticket availability allows. First round we have Dallas. Hopefully we go far this year as we have a decent team. Does anybody else support an NHL team? Go Flames Go!

Habs. Not a good season to say the least. 

J.T.F.Robertson
5 hours ago, CalgaryJambo said:

Me too, although my favourite time by far was back in the '80's when we slowly caught up to, then surpassed, the great Oilers team of that era.

Looking pretty hopeful this year but will have to go some, assuming it happens to get by the Avalanche, they look scary as fek!

Konrad von Carstein

The Blackhawks are getting out their golf clubs.

Again.

:levein2:

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

• 1 month later...

Game 3 of the final later.

Watched Game 2 and Colorado looked some team. TB couldn't cope at all with their pace.

TB back on home ice tonight though so will be interesting to see if they can get some sort of revenge. Lose tonight though and think it'll be a 4-0 series.

The White Cockade

I’m an Oilers man but been pretty barren stuff since the heady days of Gretzky, Messier, Coffey and Kurri etc I was really spoiled in those days 

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

With the small handful of teams I have a connection to/soft spot for having been pumped out along the way, it's been good to see a team that wears maroon do well (even if the superbly named Pat Maroon plays for the Bolts!).

Hoping it goes to game 5 on Friday night as I can stay up to watch it. :) 

Think you'll be getting your wish as TB 6-2 up after the second...which is my signal to turn in.

Plus the Premier Sports ad breaks are annoying me. 

Game 6 about to start. Can Colorado get it done? Or do we go to a decider?

Hopefully I stay awake as I missed the winner in Game 5 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Searches it a few times. This used to be the official jk. ice hockey thread but had a name change?

Anyway...

Edinburgh Capitals are back!!!