Players making signals

Boof

When a player is about to take a corner, often you'll see them raise a hand, sometimes two.

Does that actually mean anything to those waiting for the ball to come into the box?

I've never really been able to discern any difference in the delivery no matter how many hands are held up.

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, Boof said:

When a player is about to take a corner, often you'll see them raise a hand, sometimes two.

Does that actually mean anything to those waiting for the ball to come into the box?

I've never really been able to discern any difference in the delivery no matter how many hands are held up.

Hah, I've always thought that was a waste of time, especially when most Hearts players can't guarantee where the corner is going to end up. 

jamboinglasgow
22 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

One is ball to back post other is ball to front post?

I assume...

Thats what I thought as well. 

24 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

One is ball to back post other is ball to front post?

I assume...

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Thats what I thought as well. 

I think it’s also as simple as letting people know it’s coming in as if you’re in a crowded penalty area you might not have a clear view of the corner taker. 

allystrachan

One is I’m going to kick it straight at the first defender to head clear. Two is I’m going to kick it clean out the other side of the box for a throw in or goal kick. 

Greedy Jambo

One of the statto's should be able to confirm, but i'm sure our corner to goal scored ratio has been absolutely honking over the last 6-7 years. 

1 minute ago, Boab said:

I thought it was to apologise in advance for making an arse of the corner !

🤣🤣🤣

VagabondJambo
17 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

One is I’m going to kick it straight at the first defender to head clear. Two is I’m going to kick it clean out the other side of the box for a throw in or goal kick. 

😂🤣😂

12 minutes ago, Boab said:

Nah But that’s what Jamie Walker does he hasn’t a clue what he’s putting his arms up and down for he seen it on tv and tried it himself 😂

The only one who should bother raising his arm is the first defender.  Just to avoid the possibility that we'll knock it past him by mistake.

Pasquale for King

Surely if you do it once and put it to the back post the opposition then know that 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔?!?!

Jim Panzee
12 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

One of the statto's should be able to confirm, but i'm sure our corner to goal scored ratio has been absolutely honking over the last 6-7 years. 

it is for every club.

I once recall seeing stats for corners destroying the myth that you should get excited winning a corner as it barley results in a goal when it's a direct cross into the box.

explains why the short corner routine came into play years ago to try disrupt / catch out well marshalled defences set up to defend a traditional corner kick.

Bazzas right boot

Front back /post or possibly for a striker or ch to acknowledge it's coming thier way. 

For example, 1 hand means Boyce, 2 hands mean ghando. 

Strikers will know to mix it up so the defence is unsure or even pre planned, ie first two back, next 2 front. 

Can mean plenty of things. 

Could just be clearing his sweaty pits tho. 

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

One Reddit user analysed 115,199 corners taken in 11,234 matches to see how much use they were. From those, 1,459 goals were from a corner. This meant an average of 4.74 per cent of goals were scored in some way or another from corners, but just 1.27% of corners led directly to a goal.

Interesting, I wonder what it is from all set pieces, I'd think it is quite high. 

Corners get grouped with them so I guess the myth about corners is, maybe born out of grouping them with free kicks? 

Jim Panzee
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Interesting, I wonder what it is from all set pieces, I'd think it is quite high. 

Corners get grouped with them so I guess the myth about corners is, maybe born out of grouping them with free kicks? 

if you mean free kicks with attempts on goal?

much harder to qualify as a corner kick is taken from the same spot every time. a free kick taken from 18 yards will stand a better chance of leading to a goal than form 30 yards. 

the corner 'myth' is my personal thought. every crowd roars when a corner is won in anticipation of a goal or at least an attempt on target. I'd say more so than when a free kick is awarded.

Nookie Bear
28 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

it is for every club.

I once recall seeing stats for corners destroying the myth that you should get excited winning a corner as it barley results in a goal when it's a direct cross into the box.

explains why the short corner routine came into play years ago to try disrupt / catch out well marshalled defences set up to defend a traditional corner kick.

27 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

One Reddit user analysed 115,199 corners taken in 11,234 matches to see how much use they were. From those, 1,459 goals were from a corner. This meant an average of 4.74 per cent of goals were scored in some way or another from corners, but just 1.27% of corners led directly to a goal.

I was going to post something similar.

I have a theory that you are better off crossing it to an area where a defender clears it and THEN you make sure you get the second ball/cross into the box whilst the defence reorganises itself.

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

if you mean free kicks with attempts on goal?

much harder to qualify as a corner kick is taken from the same spot every time. a free kick taken from 18 yards will stand a better chance of leading to a goal than form 30 yards. 

the corner 'myth' is my personal thought. every crowd roars when a corner is won in anticipation of a goal or at least an attempt on target. I'd say more so than when a free kick is awarded.

Yeah, I agree. 

I just think set pieces group free kicks and corners together so folk get more excited about a corner than they should. 

Robbo-Jambo
13 hours ago, allystrachan said:

That definitely sounds like our corners 😅

13 hours ago, allystrachan said:

Add to that the fact we usually get our left sided full back to take the corner on the opposite side so that when they win the ball after we make an arse of it we have no cover on the left wing.

Jim Panzee
6 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

That definitely sounds like our corners 😅

the number of times I see a corner kick into the box which fails to clear the first defender is initially infuriating - but quizzical - and this is with all teams including EPL, La Liga, Serie A etc

why is it that a professional footballer who's played 10+ years at top level cannot elevate a cross above 6-7 feet? are the margins so fine perhaps? better to have a vicious whipped in cross than floated ball in etc?

Robbo-Jambo
2 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

the number of times I see a corner kick into the box which fails to clear the first defender is initially infuriating - but quizzical - and this is with all teams including EPL, La Liga, Serie A etc

why is it that a professional footballer who's played 10+ years at top level cannot elevate a cross above 6-7 feet? are the margins so fine perhaps? better to have a vicious whipped in cross than floated ball in etc?

Yip, the number of corners that doesn't get past the first man from even top class teams is remarkable. 

One of life's great mysteries. 😏

wattie exploited

I thought it was am sorry for kicking it to no one again in advance :rifle:

Edited by wattie exploited

Dagger Is Back
14 hours ago, Boab said:

🤣

Forever Hearts
14 hours ago, Boab said:

Thread ender.😂😂😂

Ron Burgundy

I always thought it was hilarious watching a laddie in my kids team doing it. They never practised any corner routines so he was clearly just copying what he'd seen on the telly.

Maroon Sailor
38 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I always thought it was hilarious watching a laddie in my kids team doing it. They never practised any corner routines so he was clearly just copying what he'd seen on the telly.

They copy most things like the goal celebrations and the feigning of injury

King prawn

I’d love to know how many short corners result in goals. 

It can’t be many. 

Fxxx the SPFL

Ryan McGowan had the best hand signal when playing for Australia he was in the defensive wall and had his hands behind his back and made the five one gesture if my memory is right i'm sure someone can post the picture

Jim Panzee
10 hours ago, jonesy said:

No idea if this is true, but do they think that whipping it in at about that height, and hoping it clears the first man, means there's a pretty good chance it'll get knocked goalwards. High corner = keepr claims.

👍

22 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

In that case, I reckon our goals from corners rate is above average.

wheatfield to sheffield
On 21/05/2021 at 13:04, Ron Burgundy said:

Was that wee boy's name Jamie Walker?

Das Viertel Hearts
On 20/05/2021 at 22:32, Boab said:

Ha ha ha... absolutely !!! : ) 

Broxburn Jambo

Right arm = near post (or vice verse)

Left arm = far post ( or vice verse)

both arms = into the box

On 21/05/2021 at 22:43, jonesy said:

No idea if this is true, but do they think that whipping it in at about that height, and hoping it clears the first man, means there's a pretty good chance it'll get knocked goalwards. High corner = keepr claims.

Yeah, a corner taken with the intention that it reaches a teammate attacking the near post has such a small margin for error that invariably it'll hit the first defender fairly often, play it much higher and it'll be over the player attacking the near post. The pay off is that when you do get it right and the player on the near post connects it's almost impossible to stop, even a near post flick on seems to create a much more dangerous chance than the back post corner headed back across goal.

Every team has signals for set plays you’ll see corner takers touch their socks or hold up arms etc, end of the day you can do the river dance before you take it but if you can’t put it where you’ve said it’s useless.

I’ve always liked the outswinger in theory it should move the defenders out. 

Neil McCann used to drive me mad with his corners 1 in 15 would clear the first defender!

Bunny Munro
6 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Every team has signals for set plays you’ll see corner takers touch their socks 

This, and the putting arms up is often used as misdirection, or to signal something else.

Hands up standing over the ball could be near post, hands up after stepping back could be far post, regardless of how many hands are up.

Edited by Bunny Munro

Sure every club has own signals but as many noted for us it's first defender or out of park near other corner flag.