*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

14 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

And that's why we won't get through the group stages. I would rather bring through young exciting talent than stick with some players who have about 5 caps left in him. 

Lets not get to carried away with our qualification efforts two penalty shootouts and some wins against Albania and Israel over 2 years ago hardly turns is into some great outfit.

If we’re going to just accept that we’ll not qualify, to me that’s a case for keeping the guys that got us there in the team so at least they have the honour of representing the country at a major tournament. If we’re going to give this a real go, and the body language and the messages coming out tells you we are most definitely going to do that, then you stick in a bit of flair like Gilmour and give it everything we have with the best 13-14 we can put on the pitch. 

Im not having this not qualifying pish before we’ve even kicked a ball. I think we WILL qualify as it happens. We’ll never have a better chance. We’re a pretty good compact and motivated little bunch at the moment and we’ll give teams a game, and that includes England.

Edited by JimmyCant

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good performance by Maya Jama's boobs on that Peter Crouch nonsense...Not exactly solid but rather very good movement

Pasquale for King
On 07/06/2021 at 17:24, JimmyCant said:

If we’re going to just accept that we’ll not qualify, to me that’s a case for keeping the guys that got us there in the team so at least they have the honour of representing the country at a major tournament. If we’re going to give this a real go, and the body language and the messages coming out tells you we are most definitely going to do that, then you stick in a bit of flair like Gilmour and give it everything we have with the best 13-14 we can put on the pitch. 

Im not having this not qualifying pish before we’ve even kicked a ball. I think we WILL qualify as it happens. We’ll never have a better chance. We’re a pretty good compact and motivated little bunch at the moment and we’ll give teams a game, and that includes England.

Well put. I think we will qualify too if we give it our all and not be scared of England and Croatia. 

Concentrate on the Czech and Croatia games.

Let the chips fall where they may in the England one.

Concentrating too much on a derby game we're likely to lose anyways only further jeopardises our chances of progression.

I'm not saying "throw the England game". Just remember we have two other games in the group against decent sides.

jack D and coke
On 07/06/2021 at 13:17, JackLadd said:

McT would be in the England squad if he'd went with birthplace over ancestry.

Apparently turned them down a few times to play for us. I was surprised (but pleasantly) to hear that. I think he’s much better than I originally thought he was a year or two ago too. His reaction after the shoot out in Serbia Is more than enough for me too… 

Beautiful stuff to me that is man. 

3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Apparently turned them down a few times to play for us. I was surprised (but pleasantly) to hear that. I think he’s much better than I originally thought he was a year or two ago too. His reaction after the shoot out in Serbia Is more than enough for me too… 

It was indeed. Those lads deserve a bit of success at this tournament. 

kingantti1874
6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

yeah all you need to do is have a look on a Man U forum to gauge what their fans think of mctominay.

first pick defensive midfield player, selected in all the big games. 

John Findlay
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

yeah all you need to do is have a look on a Man U forum to gauge what their fans think of mctominay.

That font of all footballing knowledge Roy Keane doesnt rate him.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Keane is one of the players that should talk sense but he talks shite. 

Scholes is another one that surprises me with being clueless. 

11 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Good performance by Maya Jama's boobs on that Peter Crouch nonsense...Not exactly solid but rather very good movement

Finally, a chance to us this.... 

:worthless_thread:

On 07/06/2021 at 13:54, Jambo92 said:

Zero time for sentiment, Patterson and Gilmour should be starting next week.  Not just for this tournament but for future tournaments its imperative that we get these boys included now.  Playing O'Donnell as a RWB of a back 5 is like playing with 10 men.

Entirely agree. Gilmour seems to have the potential to be our once in a generation talent. Thats not to ignore Andy Robertson, there is an argument that we have the best LB in the world in our national side, which is incredible. 

O'Donnell IMV has no place being in a Scotland jersey. He's a hard worker but the talent/ability just isn't there. Time and time again we see attacks break down on the right side because he just isn't sharp enough to make the the runs or play the balls we seen down the left. Not for a minute saying O'Donnell should be even half as good as Robertson, but sometimes it feels like he's more of a hinderance. Biggest problem is there is virtually no RBs of any notable quality. Matt Ritchie would probably be the best shout (beyond Patterson/O'Donnell), although he chucked the towel in, so maybe on that basis alone should be disregarded. 

A real shame Patterson only broke through this season, a year earlier and it would be a no brainer. 

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Roy Keane should think about what his attitude would be if he was in the dressing room with him. 

Roy Keane didn't rate many players. 

53 minutes ago, OTT said:

Entirely agree. Gilmour seems to have the potential to be our once in a generation talent. Thats not to ignore Andy Robertson, there is an argument that we have the best LB in the world in our national side, which is incredible. 

O'Donnell IMV has no place being in a Scotland jersey. He's a hard worker but the talent/ability just isn't there. Time and time again we see attacks break down on the right side because he just isn't sharp enough to make the the runs or play the balls we seen down the left. Not for a minute saying O'Donnell should be even half as good as Robertson, but sometimes it feels like he's more of a hinderance. Biggest problem is there is virtually no RBs of any notable quality. Matt Ritchie would probably be the best shout (beyond Patterson/O'Donnell), although he chucked the towel in, so maybe on that basis alone should be disregarded. 

A real shame Patterson only broke through this season, a year earlier and it would be a no brainer. 

Personally I feel Tierney is an even better left back than Robertson.

Agree on RB. Patterson has potential to make that position his own for the next few years but this tournament likely a bit early for him.

On 07/06/2021 at 14:06, JimmyCant said:

In his short time with Scotland he’s missed 2 stick on open goals in key matches and sold the jerseys for 2 vital goals against. He is grossly over rated IMO. He is nowhere near the class of Fodel, Mount Madison or Grealish

Mate, all four of the midfielders that you mention are attacking in the main. Mctominay is a defensive midfielder, you can't throw in attacking midfielders as a barometer and equate them to a guy who has played central defense and defensive midfield. I would say he is a better player than Declan Rice and has comparable attributes to Jordan Henderson. 

4 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Mate, all four of the midfielders that you mention are attacking in the main. Mctominay is a defensive midfielder, you can't throw in attacking midfielders as a barometer and equate them to a guy who has played central defense and defensive midfield. I would say he is a better player than Declan Rice and has comparable attributes to Jordan Henderson. 

I mentioned those players because he’ll be in direct opposition to one or more of them

14 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It was indeed. Those lads deserve a bit of success at this tournament. 

7 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Watched MCT’s interview post match Vs Luxembourg. Usual harrying by the media to get his thoughts on our chances in the tournament 

There is something different this time and in terms of mentality. Callum McGregor was also interviewed and there is no question there is a steely confidence eminating from the squad - a wee bit of swagger goes a long way 

Clarke has selected some really good young players. None of this rocking up with the old guard - refreshing to say the least 

14 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

McTominay's father would have made sure he knew all about his Scottish roots so I'm not surprised. Maybe because I walk among Anglos 😊. He has to play of course, and play in midfield. The other 4? Premiership regulars have to play and there is a smattering of other first picks. SC will make the right choices and Scotland are easily good enough to qualify. In my opinion, goal scoring will be the problem. I haven't felt like that since 78 mind you and with more than fifty years of following Hearts, Scotland and Millwall, I've learnt one thing. I know **** all about football. 

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I mentioned those players because he’ll be in direct opposition to one or more of them

That's not entirely true though, you mentioned them in relation to theirs and his ability, which would suggest a direct comparison . You said, he is nowhere near the class of Fodel, Mount Madison or Grealish. I would suggest he is far better than those players in respect of the role he generally has when picked.

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Does Keane rate anyone apart from himself ?

You'd be surprised. 👍 Billy Gilmour got a lot of plaudits from him from a current player perspective. 

4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Roy Keane should think about what his attitude would be if he was in the dressing room with him. 

Roy Keane didn't rate many players. 

Not accurate. Even as recent as this week's 'Road Trip' series with Micah Richards he mentions a lot of names of players he rates. 

1 hour ago, jambo_74 said:

That's not entirely true though, you mentioned them in relation to theirs and his ability, which would suggest a direct comparison . You said, he is nowhere near the class of Fodel, Mount Madison or Grealish. I would suggest he is far better than those players in respect of the role he generally has when picked.

I know what I meant. You probably know what I meant. Let’s leave it there.

12 hours ago, John Findlay said:

That's interesting John because I never rated Roy Keane.  I willingly acknowledge however that that probably says more about me than it does about him.

From everything you see and read there seems to be a great spirit in this Scotland camp and I just wonder if we're on the brink of something special.

How good is it to be back at a major tournament? Talking about Scotland’s chances because we actually made it there? I’m buzzing. Honestly. I’d forgotten how good this was.

I’m also feeling oddly confident. Steve Clarke has quietly been building a decent squad. We could do with a dominant centre back, and we’re a bit light up front (though Adams may address that). But we’ve got good players in there and we don’t have to fear anyone. We’ve got two group games at home, one against a team we’ve beaten the last three times we played them (though admittedly they had a scratch team for one of those), and the other against a team we’ve never lost to in four fixtures. And a game v England where pretty much anything could happen. Maybe the wheels will come off again. Who cares? I’m going to enjoy the ride. I’ve secured Monday afternoon off and I’ll be watching with my 16yo son, who was -6 when we last qualified for a tournament.

I have a wee dream as well. Every tournament sees the birth of a real star. Often they don’t start the first game or two, but come on as a sub and force their way in. Could that be Billy Gilmour this time? Why not?

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

How good is it to be back at a major tournament? Talking about Scotland’s chances because we actually made it there? I’m buzzing. Honestly. I’d forgotten how good this was.

I’m also feeling oddly confident. Steve Clarke has quietly been building a decent squad. We could do with a dominant centre back, and we’re a bit light up front (though Adams may address that). But we’ve got good players in there and we don’t have to fear anyone. We’ve got two group games at home, one against a team we’ve beaten the last three times we played them (though admittedly they had a scratch team for one of those), and the other against a team we’ve never lost to in four fixtures. And a game v England where pretty much anything could happen. Maybe the wheels will come off again. Who cares? I’m going to enjoy the ride. I’ve secured Monday afternoon off and I’ll be watching with my 16yo son, who was -6 when we last qualified for a tournament.

I have a wee dream as well. Every tournament sees the birth of a real star. Often they don’t start the first game or two, but come on as a sub and force their way in. Could that be Billy Gilmour this time? Why not?

It's amazing, and this is the best bit. The hope, the daring to dream, the excitement, all untarnished by daft own goals, missed penalties or crap performances. Whatever happens I'm going to squeeze every bit of enjoyment out of it.

CloustonHMFC

Sorry but there shouldn't even be a discussion about whether McTominay starts or not. He's a class player and we're very lucky he picked Scotland over England.

Genuinely believe we have a decent chance of qualifying, even if its a best placed third, if we go out and play with no fear. No giving England and Croatia 'respect'. Get at them.

I would think we have to win this opening game to qualify.  It really is our most important game in decades.

I have no idea how good the Czech Republic are.  They may be missing key players.  I don't know.

It will certainly be an occasion to highlight our strengths and weaknesses.

We're at home.  We'll be all fired up and ready to go.  Can we do it?  Yes we can.

2-0 Scotland.  Historic win.

CloustonHMFC
5 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I would think we have to win this opening game to qualify.  It really is our most important game in decades.

I have no idea how good the Czech Republic are.  They may be missing key players.  I don't know.

It will certainly be an occasion to highlight our strengths and weaknesses.

We're at home.  We'll be all fired up and ready to go.  Can we do it?  Yes we can.

2-0 Scotland.  Historic win.

We've beat them twice at the end of last year, that can only be good for team confidence.

4 hours ago, CloustonHMFC said:

We've beat them twice at the end of last year, that can only be good for team confidence.

I had completely forgotten about that.  Let's hope we can do it.  If there are any breaks to be had, let's hope they fall our way.

Such a long time since we had a significant competition victory.

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

It's amazing, and this is the best bit. The hope, the daring to dream, the excitement, all untarnished by daft own goals, missed penalties or crap performances. Whatever happens I'm going to squeeze every bit of enjoyment out of it.

It's the hope that kills you. 

The generation that have never witnessed Scotland at a championship, are either about to acknowledge how the older generations have felt, or the older generations are about to witness Scotland qualifying for the knockout stages. And I cannae wait. 

C'mon Scotland. 

My team would be

Gordon obviously will be Marshall though 

Paterson 

Hendry

Gallagher

KT 

Robbo 

McGinn 

McTominy 

Gilmour 

Turnbull or Christie 

Adams 

indianajones
1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Stormzy cheated on her WHYYYY

No matter how good she may look now, somebody, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her shit. 

Other than de-motivational meme I completely agree with you. What an idiot. 

Gordon  

Hendry Hanley Tierney  

Fraser McTominay McGregorRobertson 

McGinn  Armstrong 

Adams 

Edited by Cruyff

Maroon Sailor

From the 6 groups at Euro 16 the 3rd place teams all got to at least 3 points

2 went through with 4 points

2 went through on GD with 3 points

Be handy if Russia and Turkey finish 3rd on 3 points in their groups as their GD is already poor

3 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Stormzy cheated on her WHYYYY

Sometimes when you have prime sirloin steak in the fridge you just fancy a cheeseburger.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

From the 6 groups at Euro 16 the 3rd place teams all got to at least 3 points

2 went through with 4 points

2 went through on GD with 3 points

Be handy if Russia and Turkey finish 3rd on 3 points in their groups as their GD is already poor

Indeed. We’d only need to beat the Czechs and avoid a hiding to go through probably. However if there is a way to go out by a wafer thin margin, we’ll find it.

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Indeed. We’d only need to beat the Czechs and avoid a hiding to go through probably. However if there is a way to go out by a wafer thin margin, we’ll find it.

that is what im expecting, a new way to lose from scotland

TyphoonJambo

It's started, they've won it already according to the commentators. Cancel Fridays train,it's not worth even going.

35 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

England and Croatia are both shite. 

I wouldn’t say shite exactly, but there isn’t much to fear that was shown there On our best day we could beat either of them.

10 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

It's started, they've won it already according to the commentators. Cancel Fridays train,it's not worth even going.

They can't help themselves can

they ? 

No wonder everyone hates them. 

Arrogant tossers. Heard some of them on the radio bragging about how they were going to take at least SIX off us. 

I'm unsure if it's because we have not been to a finals or so long or whether we actually have a half decent side this time but the optimist in me is beginning to take over

However history teaches you to just hold back and think again

Can we win at least one of our two 'home' ties....yes and we have  good chance to get to the last 16, no and it will be the same old story from years gone by

I want to join in with much of the country and just predict victory in one of the ties but the side will need to do what all previous sides have not

Lady luck must give us a break sometime

PS Armstrong seems to ne ignored but for me he should be  playing

Don’t like being a party pooper, but I think we’ll get our arses felt. Folk seem to be dismissing Czech Republic and Croatia, both of whom are better than us. We’ll be extremely fortunate to have even a sniff of going through.