*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

part_time_jambo
On 22/06/2021 at 21:44, Maroon Sailor said:

Scotland need to start qualifying on a regular basis. Other countries with a similar population can do it.

Population size is irrelevant. It’s the system that is the problem as far as Scotland are concerned. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diadora Van Basten
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on, you could see a few times he’s played there before that he’s no defender. 

Cooper the Leeds captain must be wondering what’s going on. He plays in the Prem league in a team who are renowned from playing from the back and we pick a defensive midfielder.

Fozzyonthefence
16 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Cooper the Leeds captain must be wondering what’s going on. He plays in the Prem league in a team who are renowned from playing from the back and we pick a defensive midfielder.

It’s a real slap in the face for all the centre backs getting dropped for McTominay. Imagine how they must feel?

I thought it was strange that McKenna was the one who came on when Hanley got injured too.  Given that 3 played in front of him against the Czechs then Tierney and McTominay came in at the back against England, McKenna was effectively 6th choice centre back.  Yet when everyone was available against Croatia it was him who came on for Hanley rather than Hendry or Cooper. 

I don’t think Clark has a clue what his best defence is yet.  He better work it out before we play Denmark or it will be too late. 

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Then put McKenna on, strange decisions. 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Corners win games in your world?

Corners like Croatia’s last night do.
Wonderful delivery from Modric and movement and skill from Perisic. It’s so simple yet beautiful. Have you played football? Not being wide bud but meeting a cross like that is a real skill. It’s not nice to watch or nestle in your net but it’s lovely stuff. 
Beautiful goal. 

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It’s a real slap in the face for all the centre backs getting dropped for McTominay. Imagine how they must feel?

I thought it was strange that McKenna was the one who came on when Hanley got injured too.  Given that 3 played in front of him against the Czechs then Tierney and McTominay came in at the back against England, McKenna was effectively 6th choice centre back.  Yet when everyone was available against Croatia it was him who came on for Hanley rather than Hendry or Cooper. 

I don’t think Clark has a clue what his best defence is yet.  He better work it out before we play Denmark or it will be too late. 

Definitely. Gallagher 7th choice. No need whatsoever to have that many guys who can play CH.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Wonderful delivery from Modric and movement and skill from Perisic. It’s so simple yet beautiful. Have you played football? Not being wide bud but meeting a cross like that is a real skill. It’s not nice to watch or nestle in your net but it’s lovely stuff. 
Beautiful goal. 

It was but he’s brilliant in the air, surely that wasn’t a surprise? You must have a better defender mark him or block the run or have someone on the post. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was but he’s brilliant in the air, surely that wasn’t a surprise? You must have a better defender mark him or block the run or have someone on the post. 

Wasn’t no…His movement was class too. Clarke made mistakes and we probably should’ve done a bit better but sometimes I just admire some goals. It’s sort of glorious in slow motion. Painful as it was…

jack D and coke
28 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Someone on the back post yeah defo. I think it was uncle knobhead strachan who said 80 or 90% of headers go in at the back post. 

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Wasn’t no…His movement was class too. Clarke made mistakes and we probably should’ve done a bit better but sometimes I just admire some goals. It’s sort of glorious in slow motion. Painful as it was…

It’s a great goal, I meant it shouldn’t have been a surprise to Clarke as we all know he’s superb in the air.

Modrics goal was brilliant too but also could’ve been defended much better. 
Having seen him continue to put Mctominay in defence I’m not sure if he will learn the lessons from this, pig headed and don’t like being questioned like most managers. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Someone on the back post yeah defo. I think it was uncle knobhead strachan who said 80 or 90% of headers go in at the back post. 

It was the only place he could score. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s a great goal, I meant it shouldn’t have been a surprise to Clarke as we all know he’s superb in the air.

Modrics goal was brilliant too but also could’ve been defended much better. 
Having seen him continue to put Mctominay in defence I’m not sure if he will learn the lessons from this, pig headed and don’t like being questioned like most managers. 

McTominay gets subdued due to O’Donnell I think. Tragic stuff. Croatia targeted that side due to his weakness and lack of pace. He’s an honest player but more often than not a 4/10 player for Scotland just not good enough. 
We had other options and Paterson looked better in that ten min spell than he did for me. Just more athletic and probably bold going forward. 

It’s apparently our worst showing at a finals. Considering we blew the actual qualifiers and got in the back door should surely bring some questions to Clarke. The press has been pretty kind to him so far imo…

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

McTominay gets subdued due to O’Donnell I think. Tragic stuff. Croatia targeted that side due to his weakness and lack of pace. He’s an honest player but more often than not a 4/10 player for Scotland just not good enough. 
We had other options and Paterson looked better in that ten min spell than he did for me. Just more athletic and probably bold going forward. 

It’s apparently our worst showing at a finals. Considering we blew the actual qualifiers and got in the back door should surely bring some questions to Clarke. The press has been pretty kind to him so far imo…

Absolutely, Mctominay just ball watches too much and can’t see what’s in behind him, as you say O’Donnell is too slow to cover. 
Add In that it’s two him games that will never happen again it’s been pretty poor. 
Paterson and maybe Hickey to vie for the RB position going forward. Forrest can play there too. O’Donnell should be fazed out. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Absolutely, Mctominay just ball watches too much and can’t see what’s in behind him, as you say O’Donnell is too slow to cover. 
Add In that it’s two him games that will never happen again it’s been pretty poor. 
Paterson and maybe Hickey to vie for the RB position going forward. Forrest can play there too. O’Donnell should be fazed out. 

I forgot that Hickey is versatile.  Hope he has a great season ahead and forces his way in.  Ditto Souttar.

It's only a couple of years ago that Halkett was in the Premier League team of the season and in international contention.  Would be great to him return to that level of confidence and form.

4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

A half decent keeper would save that. 

As for keepers, it must be international retirement time for DM and CG. 

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I forgot that Hickey is versatile.  Hope he has a great season ahead and forces his way in.  Ditto Souttar.

It's only a couple of years ago that Halkett was in the Premier League team of the season and in international contention.  Would be great to him return to that level of confidence and form.

Celtic have just offered £3.5m for Hickey. If he goes there I hope he plays shite. 

31 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Celtic have just offered £3.5m for Hickey. If he goes there I hope he plays shite. 

Same here.  

John Findlay
8 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Corners win games in your world?

Did for the Croats.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Wonder if we have some sort of sell on clause. 

7 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Wonder if we have some sort of sell on clause. 

Hopefully get back some we lost to them, when he went to Italy. 

Nookie Bear
9 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Beautiful goal. 

Stats show that around only 1.5% of corners lead to a goal (i.e. ball is played in and the next touch leads to a goal)

Short corners are found to be a lot more effective, percentage-wise.

If i was a Head Coach (which clearly i am not!) then i would be happy if the defending team won the first header because it is the next phase of play that is morwe dangerous; when the attacking team picks up the loose ball and plays it back into the box where the defenders are still trying to organise themselves.

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Stats show that around only 1.5% of corners lead to a goal (i.e. ball is played in and the next touch leads to a goal)

If i was a Head Coach (which clearly i am not!) then i would be happy if the defending team won the first header because it is the next phase of play that is morwe dangerous; when the attacking team picks up the loose ball and plays it back into the box where the defenders are still trying to organise themselves.

That’s mad stats. I hate a short corner :lol: 

Drive me mad. 

Nookie Bear
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Drive me mad. 

I know, but you can see why teams use them.

what drives me madder is not beating the first man

jack D and coke
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

I know, but you can see why teams use them.

what drives me madder is not beating the first man

Oh aye….

:seething:

Ex member of the SaS
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Did for the Croats.

In answer to others who also replied, NO they don't, it's what you do with the corner that counts and we did nothing, they did!

In replying to my original post where I stated Scotland were crap with no commitment ,no drive , no desire etc, the reply was we had three corners in the first 15 mins ( not an exact quote ) I stated corners win games in your world because I seem to remember we did not get anything from them and we did in fact lose the game. So do corners win games in your worlds because if the do, we should be trying it as they are bigger targets than the goals.

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

It would be great, I very much doubt it though. 

13 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I agree with all of that except no way is McTominay good enough at centre back!  Yet again cost us a goal playing there (first Croatia goal was his fault and a proper centre back would have prevented that), continually got ripped with balls between him and Hanley resulting in 3 one on ones with Marshall, also had a brain fart early on against England when Sterling picked his pocket and should have led to a goal and been at fault for at least one other goal I can remember in earlier games.

He’s absolutely gash at centre back, just play him in his best position where he plays week in week out for one of the biggest clubs in the world  ffs.  Can’t believe Clark didn’t change things at half time and push McTominay into midfield where we were being overrun.

He certainly should’ve played in midfield against Croatia, the minute Gilmore is out McTominay moves forward and Hendry comes back in. 

Guest ToqueJambo
10 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

That's a crazy stat. I'll remember not to get so excited when my team gets a corner now!

A few days on and the cold reality is settling in of what was a great missed opportunity - probably our best ever opportunity with two home games - to progress in a tournament.

So may red flags about Steve Clarke. We've got some quality youngsters coming through and he is not the man to make them into a winning team. I really thought after the Netherlands friendly we were going to go for it in this tournament. But you can't play a RWB who can't attack (and isn't even a good defender) and one of our best midfielders in CD and expect to win must-win games. He starts Christie then we never see him again, yet Armstrong plays poorly and is picked again.

Hickey showed how high up the park he can play in the games I saw for Bologna and as a two footed player he has to come in at RWB. Clarke hasn't even involved him in a squad yet though. Souttar is likely to be first choice CB after a few more games back, but surely he'd have been a better option off the bench, or even starting, than McKenna, Hendry or Gallacher?

The soft ride Clarke is getting in the media will not help the Scotland team. Rant over!

Edited by ToqueJambo

10 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Drive me mad. 

:lol: me too 

Holyrood_Hearts
21 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

That was baffling. Cooper starts the 1st game & played ok but doesn’t play a minute for the rest of the tournament. 

22 hours ago, Morgan said:

England will win, then lose to Holland, I reckon.

Eh naw, they might lose to The Netherlands though.

9 minutes ago, smiler said:

:D Looking forward to all those who get pissed off that so many folk refer to England instead of the UK now coming on to defend the use of Holland instead of Netherlands.

58 minutes ago, smiler said:

Eh naw?  :rofl: 

What the Hell does that mean?  🤷🏿‍♂️

45 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D Looking forward to all those who get pissed off that so many folk refer to England instead of the UK now coming on to defend the use of Holland instead of Netherlands.

It makes one titter, so it does.

😄

20 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Eh naw?  :rofl: 

What the Hell does that mean?  🤷🏿‍♂️

It makes one titter, so it does.

😄

Titter ye not! :)

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Titter ye not! :)

Och, it’s only Smiler, Red.

He likes to get on everyone’s back, but doesn’t like it the other way round.

Tierney shouldn't be at CB, he's a key attacking threat. I think we need to go with Robertson/Tierney LB/LM/LW, they can play anywhere down the flank. 

McTominay at CB or DM is a waste, he's a box to box mid, so it is either him or McGinn, one of them needs to drop out imo. 

Fraser or Forrest need to play on the right at RM/RW, O'Donnell or Patterson need protection in front of them and, someone they can work with going forward. We need more trickery and pace further forward. 

Gilmour must play everytime, he is now our key man. 

IMO we need to move away from a back 5 and 3 CB's. Play two CB's Hanley & McKenna or Hanley & Cooper. Let the defenders defend. 

I bet Nesbit would have scored if given Dykes 270mins, but that wouldn't suit Clarke's hoofbaw. Maxwell says he's going to be in the job for a long time. Brutal. 

2 hours ago, smiler said:

Pretty sure that people from the Netherlands call the team Holland (or Oranje).

Unknown user
1 minute ago, spacerjoe said:

Pretty sure that people from the Netherlands call the team Holland (or Oranje).

Correct, Hup Holland Hup!

WK-2010-hup-Holland-hup-speelschema-wk-2

Holland(or Belgium) should be Scotland's team. A third of  Scots have flemish ancestry. 

Mon Italy! 

Edited by ri Alban

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2021 at 22:46, Morgan said:

You’re.teasing me now, Ringo.  😎

On 22/06/2021 at 22:44, Bongo 1874 said:

They have a very good team/squad. 

But as far as winning anything with him nope, and I'll tell you what i won't post on here again if they win it, there you are.