*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

14 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

I think when the dust has settled, and the drink has worn off, this should probably be opinion of most reasonable Scottish fans. 

I listened to Souness earlier and he was bang on IMO. It didn’t work in the first half and all we had was a wee 5 minutes spell  before half time when we scored and rattled them. We should have gone narrow 3-4-3 second half and pressed higher up the pitch. Modric playing that high needed to be man marked. At No stage of the game did we press their deep possession, that’s essential against a footballing team of that quality. 

When you get the likes of Collins Souness and Brown universally agreeing we got it wrong tactically you need to sit up and question whether Clarke is wise enough for this level of football, especially given our limitations and options and weaknesses.

I thought we ended up looking quite naive and a bit amateurish to be honest 

Edited by JimmyCant

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Yes controversial I know but hear me out, who would you look upto in the dressing room Gerrard or Clarke?. 

No brainer someone who is young and can understand the players. 

We have fundamental playing style problems that must be seriously addressed otherwise we will always flatter to deceive. 

4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Steven, international and Rangers, he will be at Liverpool in a few years. 

So why shouldn't our nation get the best out of him while he is here. 

Oooooooooo... kkkkkkkkkkk....

Just now, Des Lynam said:

We have fundamental playing style problems that must be seriously addressed otherwise we will always flatter to deceive. 

Being honest he has been backed at Rangers yes, but you can't say he hasn't improved players like Kamara etc, he's in Scotland just now so will have a good idea who's doing what, has English contacts etc for the players playing down there. 

Needs someone like that to change it. 

3 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

We created plenty of chances but have no composure, no finish! We lost by more than 1 goal/ 1 blunder both games. Best team in ages, but no basic control of the ball when it matters, everything is a bit desperate, hopeful! Too many players not at best, O'donnell was pretty rank tonight (I actually like him), they could be a good team, usual Scottish comment eh!

Can't really blame Clarke for players lacking composure. 

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He brings more to the table than Clarke, and is destined to be Liverpool manager, and the English would hate it too. 

Of course he would, Gerrard probably already is a top coach but he wouldn’t touch the Scotland job with John Holmes' big fat boaby. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I listened to Souness earlier and he was bang on IMO. It didn’t work in the first half and all we had was a wee 5 minutes spell  before half time when we scored and rattled them. We should have gone narrow 3-4-3 second half and pressed higher up the pitch. Modric playing that high needed to be man marked. At No stage of the game did we press their deep possession, that’s essential against a footballing team of that quality. 

When you get the likes of Collins Souness and Brown universally agreeing we got it wrong tactically you need to sit up and question whether Clarke is wise enough for this level of football, especially given our limitations and options and weaknesses.

Spot on.

Central Belt 1874
11 minutes ago, Homme said:

If not Clarke, who?

Steve Clarke admitted in an interview on tv tonight before the game that he was inexperienced at this level. He said he had never been in this situation before, 2 teams going all out in a must win game. Strange comment, as this is normal cup football. 

It was pretty clear, after about 10 minutes, that the team was going to struggle the way he had set them up. 

If he stays, he stays. He has it within him to get it right on occasion. But, evidence so far suggests he will get it wrong when it matters.

I prefer are more positive outlook with football. He has improved us, but failed with a group that had potential to do more. 

1 minute ago, spacerjoe said:

Oooooooooo... kkkkkkkkkkk....

controversial because he's English but personally i don't give a toss, the fact he's at Rangers put people off i get that, but you can't say the players wouldn't respect / look upto him. 

I get the feeling some feel they are above Clarke, but it doesn't help when he can't even pick the right team. 

Central Belt 1874
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I absolutely agree. 

The warning signs were there in a few games leading up to the tournament. The Czech game confirmed it for me.

He brings more to the table than Clarke, and is destined to be Liverpool manager, and the English would hate it too. 

Yes, let's list all the good managers in Europe and question why they are not Scotland manager.

No. 1: Tuchel....

Pasquale for King
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

controversial because he's English but personally i don't give a toss, the fact he's at Rangers put people off i get that, but you can't say the players wouldn't respect / look upto him. 

I get the feeling some feel they are above Clarke, but it doesn't help when he can't even pick the right team. 

I think he will have his eyes on the Liverpool then England job.

Good thinking though, we need something a bit different to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Of course he would, Gerrard probably already is a top coach but he wouldn’t touch the Scotland job with John Holmes' big fat boaby. 

I don't think Gerrard would care tbh, he would see it as a honour infact, and at the end of the day say he gets us into the last rounds of something, it only makes his cv better. 

Just now, spacerjoe said:

Can't really blame Clarke for players lacking composure. 

Correct, but never mentioned him eh! The players need to learn to be better.......even if 'worth' multi-millions eh! Nothing changes over 40+ years, some decent players, some decent performances, same old failures, same missing chances, same lack of composure, same poor defending.........sounds just the same as Hearts eh! Different times, same pash results!

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Being honest he has been backed at Rangers yes, but you can't say he hasn't improved players like Kamara etc, he's in Scotland just now so will have a good idea who's doing what, has English contacts etc for the players playing down there. 

Needs someone like that to change it. 

He wouldn’t take the Scotland job. But yes I do agree we need someone in the job that can inspire. 

We need the SFA to do their ****ing job in advancing Scottish football. Petrie and Maxwell should be hounded from Hampden. 

I don't think Gerrard would care tbh, he would see it as a honour infact, and at the end of the day say he gets us into the last rounds of something, it only makes his cv better. 

You really think Gerrard would leave rangers to take the Scotland job? 

Edited by Ari Gold

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If we’re in silly season then maybe we should go for Joachim Low.

Arthur Morgan
2 hours ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

That’s just shite. They’re better at those moments. That cross from Robertson? Would have been buried by his club mates.

How's it shite? We sat back in the 2nd half got deeper and deeper inviting them on, and it's how they scored their 2nd. Should have changed things earlier than he did.

2 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Yes, let's list all the good managers in Europe and question why they are not Scotland manager.

No. 1: Tuchel....

Be realistic Gerrard is at Rangers, so why wouldn't he manage Scotland because he's English don't be pathetic, I'll have you know Gerrard went to Celtic games before Rangers,and I'm led to believe he comes from a Catholic family. 

Hasn't stopped him being Rangers manager. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Jambo61 said:

Correct, but never mentioned him eh! The players need to learn to be better.......even if 'worth' multi-millions eh! Nothing changes over 40+ years, some decent players, some decent performances, same old failures, same missing chances, same lack of composure, same poor defending.........sounds just the same as Hearts eh! Different times, same pash results!

Good for all these youngsters to get used to it though. Nothing will

ever change for Scotland and more importantly Hearts unless the SGA is ripped up and they start again. 

1 minute ago, Ari Gold said:

You really think Gerrard would leave ea gers to take the Scotland job? 

He can do both. 

Maroon Sailor
Just now, Central Belt 1874 said:

Steve Clarke admitted in an interview on tv tonight before the game that he was inexperienced at this level. He said he had never been in this situation before, 2 teams going all out in a must win game. Strange comment, as this is normal cup football. 

It was pretty clear, after about 10 minutes, that the team was going to struggle the way he had set them up. 

If he stays, he stays. He has it within him to get it right on occasion. But, evidence so far suggests he will get it wrong when it matters.

I prefer are more positive outlook with football. He has improved us, but failed with a group that had potential to do more. 

He's not up to it

Two penalty shoot out wins against Israel and Serbia gave him hero status as it was that long since Scotland got to a tournament.

But he royally fecked the whole tournament up in that first game. He must have been the only person in Scotland who would've picked that team.

Scotland should have been good enough to get through that group.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think he will have his eyes on the Liverpool then England job.

Good thinking though, we need something a bit different to be honest.

Why the hell would he leave Rangers to manage Scotland????

Pasquale for King

Be realistic Gerrard is at Rangers, so why wouldn't he manage Scotland because he's English don't be pathetic, I'll have you know Gerrard went to Celtic games before Rangers,and I'm led to believe he comes from a Catholic family. 

Or perhaps his £2.5m salary might be a sticking point, and the compensation. 

He can do both, he's up here anyway. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Or perhaps his £2.5m salary might be a sticking point, and the compensation. 

No he can do both jobs we don't need to ask him to leave Rangers. 

What are you on about? I haven't mentioned him being English once!!!

He wouldn't take it as its about 3 steps backwards in his career!!

Fozzyonthefence

I don’t know, maybe because the SFA couldn’t afford him and a manager would never leave Rangers to take the Scotland job?  More likely to go the other direction like when McLeish dumped Scotland when doing well to go to Rangers.  Money talks. 

5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

How's it silly, it's a good shout tbh. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Pasquale for King

I didn’t say he would did I 😜? For a tenth of the wages he’s on now. 
We need a complete change at our club and international level, the same dinosaurs will keep producing the same results. 

Pasquale for King

No way would they allow that. 

No chance in he'll.

You know who would be a great shout though...

Stendel.

What are you on about? I haven't mentioned him being English once!!!

He wouldn't take it as its about 3 steps backwards in his career!!

How would he, he's done his job at Rangers,his job now is to retain the league, but to say he would see it as three steps back, tell me what does he have to lose?. 

No chance in he'll.

You know who would be a great shout though...

Stendel.

Why couldn't he?. 

Gerrard would be a great option IMO but the Scotland job is a two tournament 4 year gig and we’ve not started great in the next one. He’s not going to take that on with Klopp already looking for his next job and Gerrard a stick on to replace him. I personally think we need to look European again. Someone in the mould of Martinez. Thierry Henry would be a shout maybe ?  

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

If we can afford it why not? Will he have better offers? Probably. Kilnsman outbid work just now for instance. 
We all laughed when Rangers approached Gerrard, that worked out eventually for them. 
I think we need a top manager from

abroad to take us forward. 

How would he, he's done his job at Rangers,his job now is to retain the league, but to say he would see it as three steps back, tell me what does he have to lose?. 

His career.

Fozzyonthefence

The Scotland job is for managers trying to get their career back on track not for upwardly mobile managers looking to go to to the next level at club level. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

If we can afford it why not? Will he have better offers? Probably. Kilnsman outbid work just now for instance. 
We all laughed when Rangers approached Gerrard, that worked out eventually for them. 
I think we need a top manager from

abroad to take us forward. 

Plus he picks his nose and eats it! Gets my vote 

:lol: 

Pasquale for King

Don't see why not

Because it would be in his contract that he can only do his current job, as much as I hate them it’s a huge job there’s no way he’s going to be allowed to **** off with these donkeys for weeks on end. Especially with over half the squad having Celtic connections. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

Plus he picks his nose and eats it! Gets my vote 

:lol: 

Hahahahaha grabs his balls too, needs a ****ing haircut though 😆

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Gerrard would be a great option IMO but the Scotland job is a two tournament 4 year gig and we’ve not started great in the next one. He’s not going to take that on with Klopp already looking for his next job and Gerrard a stick on to replace him. I personally think we need to look European again. Someone in the mould of Martinez. Thierry Henry would be a shout maybe ?  

Definitely, their other coach Shaun Maloney might be worth a shout also. 

His career.

Do you honestly think Liverpool fans/board are going to say no Steven you failed with Scotland, you can't come to be our manager. 

No way he's a Liverpool legend, his legend status is sealed he's with them animals, but make no mistake him and his team stopped 10 in a row. 

What does he have to lose nothing?, you think rangers would sack him, never in a million years. 

He's just gave them what seemed to them the impossible. 

He's not expected to achieve anything with Scotland, that's what makes him a great appointment. 

I'd go for that bloke at Arbroath.  Very experienced and great personality.

Couldn't do worse than everyone since Walter Smith.

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good for all these youngsters to get used to it though. Nothing will

ever change for Scotland and more importantly Hearts unless the SGA is ripped up and they start again. 

Meanwhile, the players could actually learn to control the ball, control their emotions and reactions, maybe, just maybe like a professional sportsman and athlete like..........I don't know, Andy Murray maybe?