*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

Any win will do sounds so much better than having to score two or three.

But if we scored two and England lose one nil then we'd leap over them into 2nd. Could it happen?

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Салатные палочки

It's the hope that kills you. 

C'mon Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

2 minutes ago, kila said:

But if we scored two and England lose one nil then we'd leap over them into 2nd. Could it happen?

Would be hilarious 

What is the most likely 2nd round match for the team that finishes 3rd in our Group, can see there's several scenarios..

SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, kila said:

I bet that game ends in a draw. The Czechs win the group and have a pig of a draw in last 16 and England get the winner of a much easier group. Both are already through.

John Findlay

We know what we have to do.

To every player in the Scotland squad. Now is your time to become legends. CARPE DIEM.

The Old Tolbooth
13 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

We can't finish above the Czech Republic. We can finish above England but that would need them to lose and us to win.

13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Scotland can't finish above the Czech Republic

It appears we can finish above the Czech Republic after all, Denmark just finished above Finland after losing the first game to them 😉 

2 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

What is the most likely 2nd round match for the team that finishes 3rd in our Group, can see there's several scenarios..

I had a look into this earlier. It's really confusing and it depends on which 4 groups have the 3rd best places.

But, from what I can see, if we finish 3rd, there's a more than decent chance we play the winner of group E at Hampden a week on Tuesday 

Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

It appears we can finish above the Czech Republic after all, Denmark just finished above Finland after losing the first game to them 😉 

That's not right. We can't finish above the Czechs. They beat us on head to head

The confusing thing about the Denmark scenario is that they finished level with Finland and Russia, so it was head to head to head (& they all had 3 points from those games)

1 minute ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

That's because Russia were also on 3 points mate, we can't finish above the Czechs.

As an aside England now at least guaranteed to go through with 4 points.

6 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

It’s complicated but we can’t finish above the Czechs because of the head to head we lost to them. Denmark’s group had a 3 way head to head with one win each so it went to GD

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s complicated but we can’t finish above the Czechs because of the head to head we lost to them. Denmark’s group had a 3 way head to head with one win each so it went to GD

Exactly right.

18 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I bet that game ends in a draw. The Czechs win the group and have a pig of a draw in last 16 and England get the winner of a much easier group. Both are already through.

Czechs not necessarily through. There is a scenario where they could finish 3rd on 4 points and miss out. (If the Czechs are heavily beaten by England and Croatia win)

Edited by JimmyCant

Czechs not necessarily through. There is a scenario where they could finish 3rd on 4 points and miss out.

4 points won't/can't miss out 

Maroon Sailor

Just now, JimmyCant said:

Czechs not necessarily through. There is a scenario where they could finish 3rd on 4 points and miss out.

No team finishing on 4 points can miss out now

17 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Think it’s either Hampden against winners of E or Budapest against Netherlands. 

Great position to be in.  What if we win and England lose.  Splendid.

I just hope as I always do that we score in the 1st half and lead.  There is a basket of goals to choose from: Great goals, good goals, lucky goals, og's, penalties.

Any one of them will do.  Or 2 or3.

RustyRightPeg
6 hours ago, sadj said:

A basic human right? Most people who actively work to help mental health in sport have very limited social media interaction. The ones who focus on money and business over peoples mental health however…..

Its difficult to limit use by younger players as its how they communicate. Even when sat next to each other 😉 but a basic human right is a hell of a stretch

Human right maybe not the best phrase, but still, being a professional football player should not hinder anyones right to have a presence on a social media platform. Handing it over to a monotone PR team to tweet after a game "Fans were great, onto the next one 👊" is pathetic. Let them live. It's only over here in the UK that every move is scrutinised to the bone, most other countries realise that these people are human beings too.

Particularly through the lockdown period, a lot of athletes have used social media in such a positive light. Rashford for example, but because he's a professional footballer, he shouldn't be allowed to? Nonsense.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

No there isn’t. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

No there isn’t. 

Correct. Already 2 x 3rd place finishers with just 3 points. My mistake

All roads lead to Gorgie

Very impressed with the passion Denmark showed tonight. Scotland might not be as talented as the Danes but if we can show a similar attitude we can win tomorrow. It is up to the players now especially those trusted to get us goals, imagine being the first Scotland team not to score a single goal in a major competition, that is unthinkable!

17 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Think it’s either Hampden against winners of E or Budapest against Netherlands. 

The two most likely scenarios are Hampden vs Spain, Sweden or Slovakia or Belgium in Seville.  Netherlands in Budapest is almost impossible now. 

This is all based on some very quick research...

Everything hinges on Group F. If that group has a 3rd place qualifier then Croatia play Spain/Sweden/Slovakia at Hampden..

Edited by Jambo92

Whoever wins our game qualifies.

A draw and we're both out.

Lose and you're out.

Do or die for both teams.

Depending on what happens at Wembley, the winner here could even end up 2nd.

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Lose and you're out.

Just out of interest, who does second place in our group play in the last 16 and where ?

47 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

It's the hope that kills you. 

C'mon Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I hope we're either winning 4-0 or losing 3-0 in the 80th minute. 

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, Morgan said:

When Scotland need  a win, guess what usually happens?

At least it's clear cut what needs to be done. No relying on other results or goal difference or goals scored (lack of in Scotland's case).

Hope the ref is decent unlike the Italy WC qualifier at Hampden.

Need everyone in a Scotland shirt to play to their max and not choke. 

No point coming off the pitch feeling sorry for themselves - that's old hat now - time to make history.

1 minute ago, Longbaws said:

I hope we're either winning 4-0 or losing 3-0 in the 80th minute. 

I’m not going to be able to cope with 1-0 up with 20 to go. Let’s make this quick and clean and comfortable and decisive. All that stuff we never do in fact.

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Maybe England are well aware of that fact. ;)

Questions getting asked on the need there as to why English players are getting treated differently to Scotland players.  It seems the English stance is precautionary at the moment and Southgate doesn’t know if Mount or Chilwell can play tomorrow. 

One thing I’m confused about is why are Scotland taking advice from Public Health England?  I can see why, in relation to training at their English training base but surely they have to advice from Public Health Scotland tomorrow in relation to a game being played in Glasgow or are they just being sneaky about this to achieve a more favourable outcome?

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Just out of interest, who does second place in our group play in the last 16 and where ?

Runners-up play runner-up of Group E (Sweden, Slovakia, Spain, Poland) at the Parken Stadium, Copenhagen, Denmark.

3rd place will qualify and play either the winner of Group E (see above) at Hampden Park, Glasgow, Scotland or the Netherlands at the Puskas Arena, Budapest, Hungary.

I’m not going to be able to cope with 1-0 up with 20 to go. Let’s make this quick and clean and comfortable and decisive. All that stuff we never do in fact.

They will have us on the end of our seats as usual for sure

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Runners-up play runner-up of Group E (Sweden, Slovakia, Spain, Poland) at the Parken Stadium, Copenhagen, Denmark.

3rd place will qualify and play either the winner of Group E (see above) at Hampden Park, Glasgow, Scotland or the Netherlands at the Puskas Arena, Budapest, Hungary.

Sweden or Slovakia at Hampden please 

Bazzas right boot

All set up to be emotionally raped Tommorrow night. 

We'll either completely **** it, or be 1-0 up going into the last ten minutes and we all know what will happen. 

46 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Human right maybe not the best phrase, but still, being a professional football player should not hinder anyones right to have a presence on a social media platform. Handing it over to a monotone PR team to tweet after a game "Fans were great, onto the next one 👊" is pathetic. Let them live. It's only over here in the UK that every move is scrutinised to the bone, most other countries realise that these people are human beings too.

Particularly through the lockdown period, a lot of athletes have used social media in such a positive light. Rashford for example, but because he's a professional footballer, he shouldn't be allowed to? Nonsense.

I don’t agree that Social Media is used by a lot of athletes for positive reasons. I do agree that its crazy how much people are scrutinised and chastised for it. I also think its mental that there is no sort of regs from the likes of the SFA where behaviour such as Riordan or Griffiths leads to bringing the game into disrepute. Clubs give players Social Media training. Its in their contracts about use of it etc too yet some just go all out to be dicks and get away with it. 

I don’t think the poster was saying its as clear cut as just not using it more the idiots who use it and have influence over others because of who they are should uae it carefully and when they are fuds it ahould be out of their hands. It affects sponsorship it reflects on your club or country for example. 

portobellojambo1
34 minutes ago, Cade said:

Lose and you're out.

Do we not have to win by 2 goals to create an overall GD of 0. A 1-0 win would give us a GD of -1, which Switzerland already have, with 4 points, or is progression just based on results in your own group rather than positions, GD of countries in other groups being taken into consideration in the final decision ?

Edited by portobellojambo1

Fozzyonthefence
20 minutes ago, Cade said:

3rd place won’t qualify if we draw with Croatia.  Croatia would go out with 2 points. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Do we not have to win by 2 goals to create an overall GD of 0. A 1-0 win would give us a GD of -1, which Switzerland already have, with 4 points, or is progression just based on results in your own group rather than positions, GD of countries in other groups being taken into consideration in the final decision.

No, any win is enough.  Two teams have already finished 3rd with 3 points so we can’t be 5th or 6th best 3rd placed team with 4 points.  

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Do we not have to win by 2 goals to create an overall GD of 0. A 1-0 win would give us a GD of -1, which Switzerland already have, with 4 points, or is progression just based on results in your own group rather than positions, GD of countries in other groups being taken into consideration in the final decision ?

Nope, not after tonight's results. 

5 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Finland and Ukraine have both ended their groups on 3 points.

Whoever wins our game will end on 4 points and be above both of these.

Which means guaranteed to be in the top 4 3rd placed teams and qualified.

portobellojambo1
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

No, any win is enough.  Two teams have already finished 3rd with 3 points so we can’t be 5th or 6th best 3rd placed team with 4 points.  

Apologies, I've just been looking at the groups on BBC Sport page, and you are right, a win of any sort will be enough (sorry, should have looked at the groups before asking the question, my bad).

No Idle Talk

Only once before in my life have I believed in Scotland in a win and you're in match. 1986 against Uruguay. We drew 0-0 against ten men. 

Well........I'm in again. Call me crazy but I actually think Scotland are going to do it this time. The current Croatia team looks nothing special to me and it just feels like it might be Scotland's time. 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, No Idle Talk said:

Only once before in my life have I believed in Scotland in a win and you're in match. 1986 against Uruguay. We drew 0-0 against ten men. 

Well........I'm in again. Call me crazy but I actually think Scotland are going to do it this time. The current Croatia team looks nothing special to me and it just feels like it might be Scotland's time. 

Let’s hope so as we are due a break. 

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Hopefully if we get 89 minutes against 10 men this time we’ll manage it!

OmiyaHearts

Can't believe it's in our own hands. What an opportunity for the lads.

It'll be a solid game and I'm doubtful we can do it.  But you never know in football and that's why it's a great game. We have a chance, even though it's slim, and that's good enough for me.

SwindonJambo
14 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

That was a painful evening. The Uruguayan red card after 40 seconds remains a World Cup record to this day. They should probably have had a couple more. If they'd got them Scotland probably still wouldn't have won. We were awful that night and we had much better players then than now.

I'll still be watching tomorrow night. It is indeed the hope that kills you. Seen it too many times before. But come on Scotland anyway. We have home advantage this time - a random piece of good luck.

Edited by SwindonJambo

No Idle Talk
1 minute ago, SwindonJambo said:

That was a painful evening. The Uruguayan red card after 40 seconds remains a World Cup record to this day. They should probably have had a couple more. If they'd got them Scotland probably still wouldn't have won. We were awful that night and we had much better players then than now.

It was a painful watch. Uruguay kicked Scotland off the park for 90mins. I think the referee just decided that he had already sent one of their players off so he wasn't going to send any more off. You're probably right though. He could have reduced them to seven men and it would still have been 0-0. It just had that feel about it. 

Everyone will be 100% committed to the cause and know the game plan inside out.  That helps to offset the loss of Gilmour.

Saw a press conf with Clarke this morning and couldn't help wishing AB had picked up the phone instead of Killie.  

I also think it's our time at long last and a 9am Heinekin or two is very much on the cards.