Gods of Snooker

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Anybody watched this?

I watched all 3 last night and I really enjoyed it.

The 80s were truly the time to be a snooker player

Felt bad for Jimmy White not winning the World Championship but he blew it in more ways than one

Edited by Maroon Sailor

27 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Anybody watched this?

I watched all 3 last night and I really enjoyed it.

The 80s were truly the time to be a snooker player

Felt bad for Jimmy White not winning the World Championship but he blew it in more ways than one

Used to love the snooker back in the 80s. There really were some cracking characters during that period.

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Used to love the snooker back in the 80s. There really were some cracking characters during that period.

Agree

It's never been the same since

I'd like to know if Alex Higgins was ever sober when he played ?!

Phenomenal 69 break to avoid defeat in the 82 semi. Has to be the greatest break ever to this day.

Carl Fredrickson

Loved snooker in my teens. Havent watched it in years but I watched this show last week and it brought back a lot of memories. Great to hear the respect most players had for one another. 

7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Agree

Phenomenal 69 break to avoid defeat in the 82 semi. Has to be the greatest break ever to this day.

Dennis Taylor beating Steve Davis in the ‘85 World Championship final on the last black ball is my favourite moment. A real iconic moment and imo the greatest match ever.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Dennis Taylor beating Steve Davis in the ‘85 World Championship final on the last black ball is my favourite moment. A real iconic moment and imo the greatest match ever.

Yes it certainly was . I remember that night so vividly . Great match . I haven’t watched the series yet but have recorded it . The 80s did seem to have real characters then such as Higgins , Davis ( dull but in some ways endearing ) Jimmy White , big Bill Wilberbek ( can’t spell his name ) but he apparently used to drink a few pints before going out to play 😂Cliff Thorburn 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes it certainly was . I remember that night so vividly . Great match . I haven’t watched the series yet but have recorded it . The 80s did seem to have real characters then such as Higgins , Davis ( dull but in some ways endearing ) Jimmy White , big Bill Wilberbek ( can’t spell his name ) but he apparently used to drink a few pints before going out to play 😂Cliff Thorburn 

Hated Steve Davis but only because of his style of play.

He was some player though. Liked to have seen a Davis v Hendry final in 1990.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Hated Steve Davis but only because of his style of play.

He was some player though. Liked to have seen a Davis v Hendry final in 1990.

Yes his style of play was painful but successful I suppose . But it was great when the new style of players entered the scene like Hendry . Hoever Higgins really was a trendsetter for his time . Tragic private life though . Hendry was a great player but like Davis was dull as dishwasher though 😂 sour 

I'll accept that most players are dull as dishwater these days (looking at you, the Jester from Leicester), but there was some phenomenal moments at this year's Worlds, and that semi between Ronnie and Selby last year will live long in the memory.

33 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Yup. I was in halls at the time and initially there were only a smattering of folk watching the final in the TV room. Word got around though and by the time the final frame came the room was rammed, including many folk who had probably never seen a game of snooker in their lives but knew that the game was truly something and that the incredible atmosphere was worth soaking up).

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, BarneyBattles said:

Funny, I've never thought of Hendry as boring to watch. Quite the opposite in fact, he rarely turned down a shot and in fact prided himself on always going for the killer shot. 

On the series, I've watched the first episode and looking forward to the others. 

I've actually missed playing snooker during lockdown. Are snooker halls now open? I looked up the govt. guide to what can open and what can't the other week and snooker halls was on both lists😄

Yes they are now open . The ballroom down near meadows bank and Locarno along slateford 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Yup. I was in halls at the time and initially there were only a smattering of folk watching the final in the TV room. Word got around though and by the time the final frame came the room was rammed, including many folk who had probably never seen a game of snooker in their lives but knew that the game was truly something and that the incredible atmosphere was worth soaking up).

Yes it was a great night . Monday night . I was in the pub in Waverley station for some reason I can’t recall with my first partner ! Magical time really and night 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, BarneyBattles said:

Cheers James.

No bother . Really happy that Thise businesses are back open , for the people running them ! Could never understand why they were seen as more risky places ??! Very bizarre 

Looking forward to this. 

The Wonder Bairn is the worst nickname ever. But my god, what a player Stephen Hendry became to topple the one and only God of snooker, which was Steve Davis. 

Brilliant days. Same with darts in the Jocky John and Eric days. 

Carl Fredrickson

The Taylor/SD final was unbelievable. Davies having a change to win it on the black too, I thought he had done it. 

I didnt think I would see a better player than Davies but then Hendry came along. As has been said, great times for the "pub sports"

Cannot have a snooker thread without some karajokie.

How do you make a snooker table laugh?

40 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Taylor/SD final was unbelievable. Davies having a change to win it on the black too, I thought he had done it. 

I didnt think I would see a better player than Davies but then Hendry came along. As has been said, great times for the "pub sports"

Cannot have a snooker thread without some karajokie.

How do you make a snooker table laugh?

Tickle it's baws. :D

• 3 weeks later...
JudyJudyJudy

We were at a friends the night having a few drinks and that and listening to music oh you tube . Actually took a detour and watched this fascinating wee video ! Interesting stories in it . In other facts Bill Wilberneuk was 25 stone and was 6 foot 😂 and I didn’t know that world finals frames must have been played for best of 49 Yes 49 frames as we came across a video of Ray Reardon beating perrie Mans 25 - 18 ( best of 49 frames ! ) before my time 👍

Edited by JamesM48

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

We were at a friends the night having a few drinks and that and listening to music oh you tube . Actually took a detour and watched this fascinating wee video ! Interesting stories in it . In other facts Bill Wilberneuk was 25 stone and was 6 foot 😂 and I didn’t know that world finals frames must have been played for best of 49 Yes 49 frames as we came across a video of Ray Reardon beating perrie Mans 25 - 18 ( best of 49 frames ! ) before my time 👍

That guy is hard to listen to

Savage Vince
On 17/05/2021 at 11:55, Maroon Sailor said:

Agree

I watched that match recently. That 69 break was incredible. There's 4 or 5 unbelievable shots in there. 

SectionDJambo

It is quite incredible to remember how so many of the UK population, male and female, were gripped by the latter stages, in particular, of the Snooker World Championship during the 80s. Television viewing figures into many millions for a sport, or pastime depending on your opinion,that many of us never played.

The players of that time all seemed to be such different characters with behaviours and styles that set them all apart. Some flawed characters who we hoped would find success to bring them joy and fulfilment. We'd go into work the morning after a big tie was on tv, and it would be the first thing discussed, with anticipation of the tie to be on that evening.

Who can forget the stunning break in coverage of the final to show us, live, the assault by the SAS on the Iranian Embassy. The black ball final. Alex Higgins tears when he finally won the Championship. All, part of the folklore.

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

I watched that match recently. That 69 break was incredible. There's 4 or 5 unbelievable shots in there. 

This is it here - just incredible do or die stuff. He took everything on and got his reward

professorfate

I thought Jimmy white should have learnt from Alex higgins mistakes and concentrated on his game like hendry he was a machine and a good jambo.

JudyJudyJudy

Actually just got around to watchin the Alex Higgins episode . It was excellent. Another flawed genius really like George Best and Gaza . Still not sure why they become so self destructive ? Addictions ? Volatile personal relationships too. However they all have left an outstanding sporting history and as others say folklore . Now watching  the Steve Davis profile hence writing on this 😂😂😂 

One thing that struck me about the doc was that Higgins daughter over egged him being the main reason why snooker exploded in the 80s. She was having a dig at Davis saying (in effect) if not for my dad you'd be working at Asda...lol.  No doubt Higgins was the most popular figure and drew in people who otherwise wouldn't care about watching it but snooker was always going to become a big deal from pot black on. Davis vs White was if anything the biggest 80s rivalry as Higgins wasn't at the races much after 83. The Davis Taylor 85 final is the one that anybody who was a teen or older remembers most