Vamos Atleti! La Liga winners (merged threads)

Deodato

My Spanish cousin-in-law is doing cartwheels. Atleti are in control now thanks to the nut job from Uruguay. 

So good to see a team like Atleti break the Spanish old firm. What a cracking league they have down there. 

Only won 1 in 4 league matches v Barca and Madrid, only 1 defeat mind you and 2 draws.

Shows what can still be done if you are consistent in the other matches.  

What was it we used to say about Hearts in better times? 🙃

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Only won 1 in 4 league matches v Barca and Madrid, only 1 defeat mind you and 2 draws.

Shows what can still be done if you are consistent in the other matches.  

What was it we used to say about Hearts in better times? 🙃

We really need an end to this 12 team league nonsense. Bigger leagues should create more stability and wee clubs more willing to try and play football. 

Excitement of every game mattering sounds great until you realise so many clubs are in fear of relegation so will quite happily sit 10 men behind the ball or only play for set pieces. 

Would be a great chance to get youth in too. About the only people that don't want reconstruction is the club chairmen. Fans, players and coaches all want it which suggests its purely a financial decision which is depressing. 

7 minutes ago, OTT said:

Excitement of every game mattering sounds great until you realise so many clubs are in fear of relegation so will quite happily sit 10 men behind the ball or only play for set pieces. 

This is a very insightful point, thanks sir. 

6 minutes ago, OTT said:

We really need an end to this 12 team league nonsense. Bigger leagues should create more stability and wee clubs more willing to try and play football. 

Would be a great chance to get youth in too. About the only people that don't want reconstruction is the club chairmen. Fans, players and coaches all want it which suggests its purely a financial decision which is depressing. 

Agree. You crammed in all the points we’ve debated for years.  More and more we are coming around to the standards issue being a bigger problem and getting the attention it should’ve had years ago.

I’ll be first to admit I always bang on its about winning but I’ve really had enough of the sub standard football.  Let’s have standards and win.  

We’re football fans aswell. How good did it feel going to Tynie to watch the late 80s teams, 98 and 06 teams knowing you were going to see good football, and more than likely, win too?   

Pasquale for King

One more win to be sure, hope they do it. Good luck to Lille too who need a win also to lift the title in France. 

davemclaren

The only Spanish stadium ( their old one ) I’ve seen a match in ( toured Barcelona during the day ) and visited their club museum as well. I’ve seen them at Tynecastle as well. 😄

58 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The only Spanish stadium ( their old one ) I’ve seen a match in ( toured Barcelona during the day ) and visited their club museum as well. I’ve seen them at Tynecastle as well. 😄

I take it you mean this one....

2 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Bucketed with rain all night. Stood on the Gorgie with no cover. 

Edited by Tazio

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Hardcore. Not just no cover, but nowhere to run for cover and the worst bogs on planet earth. 

Respect due, you've earned your stripes. 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Cracking night. 

waterboy11
9 hours ago, OTT said:

Unfortunately the 12 team league is unlikely to end - too many Soddy teams rely on their ‘3 old firm visits a year’ to pay for their costs. 

every time it’s brought up to increase the league size this is the fundamental reason given for voting against it 

Tokyo Drifter
8 hours ago, Tazio said:

I've still got the programme somewhere. Pretty sure it's got Levein on the cover.

9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Surprised you weren’t in Majorca in 98? 

King prawn
10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I live down the road from their old stadium, you wouldn't recognise it now - it's been demolished and there's a motorway going through the middle of it! Shame really as their new stadium is one of these purpose built things right on the edge of the city and it feels as though the neighbourhood has lost a bit of its soul in a way. 

The Old Tolbooth

Away to Valladolid in the last game who need a win for the avoid relegation, and Real Madrid at home to Villareal in their last game who need the points for European qualification, could be very interesting indeed! Athletico had an unassailable lead at one point and they have done their best to throw it away though.

Lille are the same in France, have it in their own hands but have made sure it's going to the last game by dropping a few points lately, their last game is away to Angers, whilst PSG are away to Monaco, a tough end for them! 

The Turkish league also went down to the very last game at the weekend there as well and Besiktas held onto top spot on goal difference winning the league by only two goals, the Galatasaray game was good viewing as they battered Yeni Malatyaspor looking for the extra goals, but couldn't get them. Three cracking exciting climaxes to the end of the season, when was the last time we had that in Scotland that didn't involve the two teams that the whole system is set up for? 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Surprised you weren’t in Majorca in 98? 

Actually I was. 🥺

Change it to only mainland Spanish stadium I’ve see a match in. 😂

Heartsofgold
11 hours ago, Deodato said:

Was at that game too.  Almost as good a night as the Bayern win.  Almost.

David Black
14 hours ago, Deodato said:

My Spanish cousin-in-law is doing cartwheels. Atleti are in control now thanks to the nut job from Uruguay. 

So good to see a team like Atleti break the Spanish old firm. What a cracking league they have down there. 

It is indeed. I love Spanish football and now it is in their own hands. 

We had Atleti neighbours around the time they won it in 2014 so hope they see it through (I had them cheering on the JT's).

Agree, regarding a bigger league. Atletico struggled against Real and Barca this season, and 7 years ago, but 34 games against other opposition allows a title challenge/win, regardless. If only steps were made here to at least try and make things more competitive.

The three successive close finishes in the early '90s were remarkable. Iirc, Barca snatched all three from 2nd place.

Felt particularly happy for Deportivo when they eventually did win La Liga six years after their 1994 last day heartbreak.

If only...😕 

Edit: mind you, Deportivo are in a terrible state now. Third tier and even lost a derby v. Celta Vigo b this season.

Edited by martoon

colinmaroon
14 hours ago, OTT said:

Get out of here! 

Heresy according to the gods of greed in Glasgow, their pagan hordes, and their high priest in the SPFL and Court Jester at the SFA.

LarrysRightFoot
6 hours ago, waterboy11 said:

Unfortunately the 12 team league is unlikely to end - too many Soddy teams rely on their ‘3 old firm visits a year’ to pay for their costs. 

every time it’s brought up to increase the league size this is the fundamental reason given for voting against it 

I see the independent regulator suggestion for English football is likely to be debated in parliament. I really hope this is something we introduce. Clubs have proven all they care about is themselves and not the wider game. 

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

Get out of here! 

Heresy according to the gods of greed in Glasgow, their pagan hordes, and their high priest in the SPFL and Court Jester at the SFA.

As for the fans/pagan hordes - I’ve spoken to and heard very few people (who support a variety of teams) that are against bigger leagues. One of them against is Richard Gordon which itself suggests it’s a fantastic idea. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

The Ultimate Worrier
On 16/05/2021 at 21:24, Deodato said:

No thanks.

Atletico Aviación, the team of Franco's air force with a right wing racist element to boot. Saw them chuck a banana at Komeni of Espanyol in a game at the Calderon. 

I used to live in Vallecas and by far the worst visiting fans were Atleti. If Madrid and Barça are the Ugly Sisters then they are the racist stepmother. They have a real Hibs style chip on their shoulder/delusions of grandeur thing going on to.

Not to mention that Luis Suarez is a complete *****. Gets away with murder in Spain because he played for one of the big three and now plays for another one of the big three.

aleticojambo
9 hours ago, The Ultimate Worrier said:

No thanks.

Atletico Aviación, the team of Franco's air force with a right wing racist element to boot. Saw them chuck a banana at Komeni of Espanyol in a game at the Calderon. 

I used to live in Vallecas and by far the worst visiting fans were Atleti. If Madrid and Barça are the Ugly Sisters then they are the racist stepmother. They have a real Hibs style chip on their shoulder/delusions of grandeur thing going on to.

Not to mention that Luis Suarez is a complete *****. Gets away with murder in Spain because he played for one of the big three and now plays for another one of the big three.

Atletico Aviacion were founded in 1903, 36 years before Franco came to power, by a group of Basque pilots who were playing in Real Madrid and were fed up of the anti Basque manner of their club and fans.

If you'd lived in Madrid you'd know that Real Madrid have always been called Francos team. 

The Ultimate Worrier
6 hours ago, aleticojambo said:

Atletico Aviacion were founded in 1903, 36 years before Franco came to power, by a group of Basque pilots who were playing in Real Madrid and were fed up of the anti Basque manner of their club and fans.

If you'd lived in Madrid you'd know that Real Madrid have always been called Francos team. 

They were founded by Basque students who were Athletic Bilbao fans. They saw the club as a branch of Athletic Bilbao in Madrid.

The name was changed to Atletico Aviación in honour of the Air Force of the fascist dictator General Francisco Franco. He is famously linked to Real Madrid but obviously there's an Atletico connection there too.

As I say, as a Rayo Vallecano fan, Atletico Madrid is a vile club with racist fans.

iwasthere1954
On 16/05/2021 at 23:39, Deodato said:

Thanks for posting this. I mmwas on holiday and missed the game. I've never seen it until now.

Unknown user

Roberts-on and Colkajon, what I'd give for them today.

Games ko in 20 minutes.

Atletico away to Valladolid and just need to match Real Madrid's result who are at home to Villarreal.

Not everyone is Atletico fans but I'll be firmly behind them. Always nice to see a duopoly broken.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Vamos Atleti! La Liga (merged threads)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Vamos Atleti! La Liga winners (merged threads)
McGlynn The Money

Fitting that a club which used to be run by generals from Franco's air force wins the title with a goal from a proven racist who also goes around biting people. Simeone is a horrible ***** and an actor as well.

Always found there was something very Hibs about Atletico fans when I lived in Madrid. The same pish about the atmosphere being better than at their bigger rivals and being the people's club. I was just waiting for them to tell me about their sloping pitch and being the first team to have floodlights.

Puta Atleti! Viva el Rayo Vallecano!

Was gutted when they scored , thought that was the tie , amazing we used to match these teams ❤️🇱🇻❤️

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Where's our resident Real fan? 

And can we stop with the Atleti Bollox. 

Not heard from him in months

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Where's our resident Real fan? 

And can we stop with the Atleti Bollox. 

I went to see atleti about 8 years ago for the 1st time. Initially I went purely to see a Spanish game. I can't stand real and the galactico pish so it seemed a good alternative. I had an absolute ball. Locals were passionate, super friendly and were a massive club living in the shadows of Franco's team. They reminded me so much of hearts. Big fan base with so much potential. Difference is Atletico madrid have realised theirs. Simeone is a massive part of that imo. I am first and foremost a hearts fan, have been since birth. Like many fellow jambos, I see no problem in having a '2nd team'. The majority of us follow a team with similar hard luck stories to ourselves and tonight I make no apologies for enjoying hibs hibsing it again and my 'other' team winning a hard graft title against the mighty Barca and Real  

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Some manager that Simone. 

Under rated. 

Absolutely 💯

Pasquale for King

What a great day its been, well done and deserved winners. Fitting that Suárez scored the winner as he’s been the difference. 

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Absolutely 💯

Not by the Club, he’s on €42m a year 😱

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not by the Club, he’s on €42m a year 😱

Highest paid coach in the world apparently. Speaks volumes. Demands hard work and desire, gets the best out of every single player, delivers results continually