James Anderson

Colonel Kurtz

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

I still cringe at the way Doncaster behaved towards JA when money was literally being thrown at the clubs. 

As much as he is despised tbf he had to protect himself from malicious claims such as bribery. He’s still a Richard head though.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• davemclaren

• JamboAl

• Bazzas right boot

Pasquale for King
57 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Depends on the outcomes of their unpopular decisions. Fergus McCann was unpopular at one point with the Celtic fans but because his unpopular decisions turned the club around he left as a hero. You have to be mindful of but not a slave to fan opinion. 

I knew I would get the response in your last sentence. 😄

I don’t know many Celtic fans but I’m not sure if he left a hero or is that popular because he made a fortune off the club. 
Mercer and Romanov are popular but not with everyone at the time or now. I’m sure Budge splits opinion just now but when she eventually leaves will hopefully be more popular. 
You knew I was going to say it, I knew, everyone knew 😆.,

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Why would you want wifi at a football stadium? 

Have you ever looked around you during a game or at HT? People can’t stop looking at their phones, even watching other games (Man City on Bobs recommendation). If you charged people 50p-£1 or had your own login for the WiFi it would make the club a fair bit over a season. 
I usually can’t get on social media at HT or answer any messages I’ve received etc. 

Jim Panzee
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t know many Celtic fans but I’m not sure if he left a hero or is that popular because he made a fortune off the club. 
Mercer and Romanov are popular but not with everyone at the time or now. I’m sure Budge splits opinion just now but when she eventually leaves will hopefully be more popular. 
You knew I was going to say it, I knew, everyone knew 😆.,

the one sellick fan I knew from work a few years ago was VERY complimentary about McCann. his view was he stopped the club haemorrhaging money (way too many freebies being dished out from tickets to merchandise). Put them on a sound financial footing which made them compete again.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

True, but for most clubs they take advantage of the fact that fans are highly unlikely to mount an effective cash reducing boycott. Our fans wouldn’t and we’ve been through times where we probably should have (not without consequences doing that of course)I’m not aware of that having been done anywhere else really.(forcing owners out by strangling the cash flow)

A quick look at how low attendances were under Levein in both his stints as manager would prove you wrong, attendances were down 3k in the season we were demoted. That’s nearly a million pounds taking in to account tickets, merch and food. Until fans were sure Levein was away the ST sales were around 5k, ending at 11k. Other factors were involved but that was the main one. 
What was our crowds like in the 70s & early 80s? 
It may not have been an organised boycott but it happened. 

Nookie Bear
24 minutes ago, Jumper said:

As much as he is despised tbf he had to protect himself from malicious claims such as bribery. He’s still a Richard head though.

True 👍🏻

Not sure Doncaster is completely immune to the odd “incentive” though. 

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

For him to buy the club would require an FoH member vote with 90% voting yes. 

This.

And we haven't even done the handover yet.........

19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

A quick look at how low attendances were under Levein in both his stints as manager would prove you wrong, attendances were down 3k in the season we were demoted. That’s nearly a million pounds taking in to account tickets, merch and food. Until fans were sure Levein was away the ST sales were around 5k, ending at 11k. Other factors were involved but that was the main one. 

There’s a big difference between general fan apathy and numbers dropping naturally because what’s on offer is pretty shite and a semi organised mass boycott aimed at forcing owners out or having them u-turn. Our ST numbers are frankly astonishing given how shite we’ve been of late. Whenever it’s been mooted to boycott or withhold money it’s never happened. Less than a 10k drop in subs recently after all the anger about Neilson. It’s been mooted recently to force Neilson’s departure through an ST boycott but I can’t see it happening in significant numbers if we’re honest. All the ‘I’m not renewing until he goes’ chat has fallen away now. I reckon we’ll be around the 11-12k mark again next season. Not great but not all that bad.

Edited by JimmyCant

27 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Have you ever looked around you during a game or at HT? People can’t stop looking at their phones, even watching other games (Man City on Bobs recommendation). If you charged people 50p-£1 or had your own login for the WiFi it would make the club a fair bit over a season. 
I usually can’t get on social media at HT or answer any messages I’ve received etc. 

It simply wouldn’t work. The network would be saturated quickly with even a few dozen people connected. 

3 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

I presume someone that ran an I. T. Company would know that? 

You’d like to think so 👍

scott herbertson
56 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Indeed. The only recent owner we’ve had who had any kind of long term affinity with and respect of the fan base was Wallace Mercer, even that turned sour eventually.

I think people have used their maroon tinted specs in looking back on the Mercer years - plenty of unhappiness when he was in charge, but all forgotten once we got into our stride in 85-86. Just as much would be forgotten if Budge and Neilson (unlikely I know) were to gain silverware next season.

41 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

CL alert!

This is a thread about JA!

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

the one sellick fan I knew from work a few years ago was VERY complimentary about McCann. his view was he stopped the club haemorrhaging money (way too many freebies being dished out from tickets to merchandise). Put them on a sound financial footing which made them compete again.

He did but he didn’t do it for the good of his health, he was booed when he unfurled the league flag, coming to a stadium near to us soon perhaps?

Jim Panzee
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He did but he didn’t do it for the good of his health, he was booed when he unfurled the league flag, coming to a stadium near to us soon perhaps?

really? - why was he booed? apols but my knowledge of celtic / SPFL doesn't go this far back 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Fair point. I'm a bit weird with my mobile, i rarely take it out the house with me and wouldn't even dream of watching another game while i was already at one. 

I suppose at £1 a game it might bring in a fair bit of cash, but would most people not just use their own data? 

Charge away fans double and the old firm a fiver a time

I don’t have that much data on my package, as I said it’s hard to access it at HT when everyone is using it. It’s the youngsters that are on the phones usually but some games I’m bad for it too. 

If you can join the City centre WiFi in town you must surely be doable 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️?

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

It simply wouldn’t work. The network would be saturated quickly with even a few dozen people connected. 

I thought that might be a problem, probably why I can’t get on at games just now..I usually get asked for passwords for club WiFi, maybe the press use it. Any idea how it works in the city centre for instance or any workplace that has many users? 

Jim Panzee
19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

interesting bit in the middle "..Portrayals of McCann tend to be simplistic. After saving the club from bankruptcy, he was too often depicted as parsimonious and difficult. Now he is universally lauded as a visionary."

hmmm :)

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

interesting bit in the middle "..Portrayals of McCann tend to be simplistic. After saving the club from bankruptcy, he was too often depicted as parsimonious and difficult. Now he is universally lauded as a visionary."

hmmm :)

Can’t seem to find how much he made when he sold his shares, it was described as a healthy profit. Not sure many will be able to do that again. 
Intetesting that Dermond only has 18.1% of shares but is called the owner when major shareholder is more apt. That’s around the same as Budge will after the handover.  

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Can’t seem to find how much he made when he sold his shares, it was described as a healthy profit. Not sure many will be able to do that again. 
Intetesting that Dermond only has 18.1% of shares but is called the owner when major shareholder is more apt. That’s around the same as Budge will after the handover.  

He owns 35% of the shares according to this. 

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ownership-structure-celtic-plc-lon-010048982.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAD6enHRKp4fHZXiMEzJEgjYJd0T15erEW3cWM_WRwTHDQna2dIHlbLoJXZbPMveS8gye9l_XXtPFg145wneev_y0IPsrTgWjW3S_NwR04FVWCBGq6EBoUwOhLwk6ztd2ROS9tJ4yVH50Lc00PmzN0iUAfNLhzgJ02vnBEYv2yc7p

Pasquale for King
31 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Was just going by Wikipedia, must’ve bought more shares over the last two decades, as your article says he’s the major shareholder not owner. 

33A33987-0153-4F23-9AF2-CA1A562B9337.jpeg

davemclaren
18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Was just going by Wikipedia, must’ve bought more shares over the last two decades, as your article says he’s the major shareholder not owner. 

33A33987-0153-4F23-9AF2-CA1A562B9337.jpeg

I just googled it as I was interested in who the other major shareholders were. 🤷‍♂️

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I just googled it as I was interested in who the other major shareholders were. 🤷‍♂️

Quite an interesting piece. 

I think it is crystal clear that his investment in Hearts is investing in success rather than financial return.

At present I would imagine that Big Hearts and the living wage will be all that has impressed him.

Spellczech
7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I’m not convinced that’s true. Look at our experience with owners or majority shareholders running the club and how much attention they usually paid to fan pressure or opinion. Robinson, Romanov, Budge are prime examples of how an owner can ride roughshod over fans wishes and opinions. Look at Man Utd, Arsenal and some of the other big clubs down there and how they are getting on with dominant owners.

if Mr Anderson wants to invest in Hearts that’s great. He’s very welcome but I’d be against any individual owning more than 49% of the club. If that we’re to happen the FOH would be redundant and the pledges would all but vanish overnight

Owners always arrive saying they will listen to fans, that they are just a fan too, etc but as soon as they do something that annoys the fans they go quiet and carry on regardless. How often has Ann promised to communicate better but still we hear nothing about why we are in the exact same position we were 6 years ago...

He’s already done more than enough tbh. Can’t see him fancying any official capacity. Hope he does though. 

Lone Striker
10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I think he ( and other benefactors ) might have a say on what happens with their money. Last season £100k of the benefactors money was specifically for the women’s team according to Ann at the last agm I attended. 

:berra:  So, Ann is happy to allow her pal James to dictate what his donation is used for ........ but won't grant the same privilege to FoH  ?       The same FoH who will soon become the majority shareholder.     Given Ann's lukewarm acknowledgement of the fans over several years, we shouldn't be surprised at this double standard - yet I'm feeling more than a little  annoyed by it.

When the share transfer actually happens, can we expect this to continue ?

davemclaren
20 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

:berra:  So, Ann is happy to allow her pal James to dictate what his donation is used for ........ but won't grant the same privilege to FoH  ?       The same FoH who will soon become the majority shareholder.     Given Ann's lukewarm acknowledgement of the fans over several years, we shouldn't be surprised at this double standard - yet I'm feeling more than a little  annoyed by it.

When the share transfer actually happens, can we expect this to continue ?

The FoH members agreed to allow the Hearts board to do what they want with the money.  It wasn’t Ann that decided that. 

J.T.F.Robertson
14 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Very interesting retiral statement from JA

He states that his risk averse strategy is the only way forward  and the more conventional attitude of say Warren Buffett is a thing of the past.

It begs the question if he would be interested in  a major investment in Hearts it certainly would be risky

14 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

sorry should have posted taking risk investments as opposed to risk averse  old  age 

Long time no' talk, hope you're good.

Paul, Peter and Tam doing alright?

14 hours ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Very much like Ann Budge 

One's lost had all the money back the other's had all the money wasted in hearts 

1 hour ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Evem though I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to say i am 100% sure it has no relevance to my comment

I was reeking 😂 don't even think I understand it 

4 hours ago, jambocub said:

One's lost had all the money back the other's had all the money wasted in hearts 

One is a full on capitalist business person, the other a philanthropist.

Edited by DETTY29

Peakybunnet
18 hours ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Why would you want wifi at a football stadium? 

So I can watch the horse racing on my phone.

Lone Striker
12 hours ago, davemclaren said:

The FoH members agreed to allow the Hearts board to do what they want with the money.  It wasn’t Ann that decided that. 

Aahh ok. 👍  But I thought some folk on here mentioned a while back that Ann had  somehow put pressure on the FoH board back in the early days  to  give  the HMFC board the freedom to use donations in whatever way they saw fit - hence the governance rule on that being approved by the membership ?       Apologies if I'm mistaken on that.      

davemclaren
11 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Aahh ok. 👍  But I thought some folk on here mentioned a while back that Ann had  somehow put pressure on the FoH board back in the early days  to  give  the HMFC board the freedom to use donations in whatever way they saw fit - hence the governance rule on that being approved by the membership ?       Apologies if I'm mistaken on that.      

It’s certainly what she wanted but Alex Mackie, who effectively drafted the governance proposals, was a strong supporter of it as well. I was never a big fan and raised it at several FoH AGMs, to no avail. 

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Is he a Hearts fan?

Norwich and Bologna 

But then John Robertson wasn't a fan. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Not originally anyway. Is that an issue?

Only Hertz Anderson OOt 

Good news and exciting to have him on board now.  

Edited by Stu_HMFC

davemclaren
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Norwich and Bologna 

But then John Robertson wasn't a fan. 

Nor Wallace Mercer before he moved east. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Not originally anyway. Is that an issue?

Will get on with Budge then.

If his intentions are honourable then no issue.

I just want out achievements to be on the park and not in a restaurant or various charities.

Colonel Kurtz

"His intentions are honorable"  sounds like a Mills and Boon line

Does AB have a heaving bosom struggling to burst free from her corsetry

I'm not being funny but who really cares who he supports ? If he never wanted to be at Hearts or invest he would't be doing it.

He could come out and say he has been a Celtic fan all his life and I wouldn't care as long as he is investing and a part of the board.  

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I'm not being funny but who really cares who he supports ? If he never wanted to be at Hearts or invest he would't be doing it.

He could come out and say he has been a Celtic fan all his life and I wouldn't care as long as he is investing and a part of the board.  

Yup. He’s successful and wants to make a positive impact on society. The more successful we become the more reach the charities etc he’s funding to sponsor us have. 

Win/Win IMO 

Massive congratulations to Mr Anderson too, fair to say he’s an excellent appointment and with his contributions over the last wee bit it’s much deserved. 

Pasquale for King

Neilson has already said we won’t be spending any money, Anderson joining the board doesn’t look to me to be changing that or they would’ve told them to look at better players. 
We can but hope he will add something to the board, as the only one who isn’t beholding to Budge.