James Anderson

Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz

Very interesting retiral statement from JA

He states that his risk averse strategy is the only way forward  and the more conventional attitude of say Warren Buffett is a thing of the past.

It begs the question if he would be interested in  a major investment in Hearts it certainly would be risky

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• davemclaren

• JamboAl

• Bazzas right boot

Colonel Kurtz

sorry should have posted taking risk investments as opposed to risk averse  old  age 

Nookie Bear

I think JAs involvement in football is a personal interest rather than an investment so probably best not to read too much into it?

Sub4TiddlerMurray
21 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

sorry should have posted taking risk investments as opposed to risk averse  old  age 

I think he said that investors should listen to experts and use that to see the longer term gains, such as when he invested in Tesla when Musk was taking some flak in the early days but JA saw that electric cars would eventually become hot. Rather than the get rich quick/ short stop investing.

...in other words, he knows that Hearts is the smart investment for the future!!! 

Edited by Sub4TiddlerMurray
instinctively typed 'JT' instead of 'JA' :)

You stand back and look at the whole situation.

Watch out for preconceptions. And see the opportunities. 

Success then gives you more opportunities.

Don't think there is any prospect of a return from an investment in Hearts, but who knows.

Rogue Daddy
5 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I think he said that investors should listen to experts and use that to see the longer term gains, such as when he invested in Tesla when Musk was taking some flak in the early days but JA saw that electric cars would eventually become hot. Rather than the get rich quick/ short stop investing.

...in other words, he knows that Hearts is the smart investment for the future!!! 

:cornette_dog:

..always love an opportunity to use 'the dug'.

He's already put in a lot of cash, and it was reported last year he was willing to ensure financial stability for the next 5 years.

We should appreciate how lucky we've been to have his backing, even if results on the park have been disappointing. 

Of course it would be nice if he wanted to get more involved, but he probably just wants to enjoy retirement and put more time (and money) into philanthropy.

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Under the current governance model, would someone from outside be able to invest, for example by buying shares?

I thought we were now set up in such a way as to avoid falling into the wrong hands.  Wouldn't this also exclude anyone who we might feel was OK?

For him to buy the club would require an FoH member vote with 90% voting yes. 

scott herbertson

Reading kickback if he has any sense he will continue to invest in the background, not put his name to it. Every Chairman/ woman we have had in my memory has suffered dog's abuse for the privilege

I am sure he would do an excellent job on the board as a non executive director.

Obviously not for his footballing input but he's clearly an astute business man with many friends in high places. 

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Reading kickback if he has any sense he will continue to invest in the background, not put his name to it. Every Chairman/ woman we have had in my memory has suffered dog's abuse for the privilege

As long as he is accountable to the fans he’ll do just fine. 😄

Heartsofgold

I can guarantee that James Anderson has already been offered numerous non-exec positions that will take up at least some of his time.  His expertise in investment management is highly prized and compensated.  Would love him to take up a roll at Hearts but I think that's a pipe dream.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

I can guarantee that James Anderson has already been offered numerous non-exec positions that will take up at least some of his time.  His expertise in investment management is highly prized and compensated.  Would love him to take up a roll at Hearts but I think that's a pipe dream.

How would that expertise be any more use to us than someone who ran an IT company who hasn’t even thought of selling WiFi at Tynecastle?

David Black
36 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Don't think there is any prospect of a return from an investment in Hearts, but who knows.

The only way anyone makes money from investing in a Scottish football club is to sell it somewhere along the line to another investor or more likely a property developer. 

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

As long as he is accountable to the fans he’ll do just fine. 😄

Every Chairman of every club in world football is accountable to the fans, even more so if the fans actually own the club.
Strange that someone who runs a football fans forum would be so dismissive of the wishes of the fans? It mirrors the views of the Chairman of the club, which like every other would be nothing without its fans. 

Heartsofgold
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

How would that expertise be any more use to us than someone who ran an IT company who hasn’t even thought of selling WiFi at Tynecastle?

Because James Anderson is known for 2 contradictory traits.  He is a long thinker and planner and yet is still willing to take risks on new prospects.  His biggest gamble and payoff was to be a major investor in Tesla when the stock was rock bottom.  He did a ton of research and meetings with Elon Musk and realised that, although Musk could be considered a very abrasive character, he had a solid vision of the future and his company was going to change things completely.  This is his biggest legacy to the Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust but by no means his only one.

That insight COULD be translated to running or helping to run, our club.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, David Black said:

The only way anyone makes money from investing in a Scottish football club is to sell it somewhere along the line to another investor or more likely a property developer. 

You need to move the club to a new ground though, like Aberdeen are doing and the Dundee owners want to do. All three of those clubs are owned by guys who’ve seen US sports clubs do this, it’s not quite as easy here. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Heartsofgold said:

Because James Anderson is known for 2 contradictory traits.  He is a long thinker and planner and yet is still willing to take risks on new prospects.  His biggest gamble and payoff was to be a major investor in Tesla when the stock was rock bottom.  He did a ton of research and meetings with Elon Musk and realised that, although Musk could be considered a very abrasive character, he had a solid vision of the future and his company was going to change things completely.  This is his biggest legacy to the Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust but by no means his only one.

That insight COULD be translated to running or helping to run, our club.

I’m not slating a guy that’s nearly a billionaire,

I’m just unsure as to what specifically running a football club has to do with any of that. If he approves of the way Budge runs the club do we want him helping to carry that on? 

Biffa Bacon
39 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

You have to laugh at the critics continually telling self made millionaires where they are going wrong.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Totally dude. 

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

Having a hobby in retirement will do him the world of good.

upgotheheads

How big's your yacht, If it's not at least twice the size of  Ann's I'm not taking any financial advice from you.😊

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think JAs involvement in football is a personal interest rather than an investment so probably best not to read too much into it?

Yup, no one puts money into Scottish football and expects it back. 

Would be interesting to have someone like him make a valuation on what they believe the TV deal should be relative what what Doncaster seems to think is a ‘great deal’ 😭

davemclaren
33 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Every Chairman of every club in world football is accountable to the fans, even more so if the fans actually own the club.
Strange that someone who runs a football fans forum would be so dismissive of the wishes of the fans? It mirrors the views of the Chairman of the club, which like every other would be nothing without its fans. 

If he was chairman and FoH still owned the club then he would ultimately be accountable to them as the major shareholder. If he had bought the FoH shares, the scenario I was imagining, then he is ultimately accountable to himself as the major shareholder. Both scenarios seem highly unlikely imo. 

Leaders, in any organisation, sometimes have to take decisions that may be unpopular but they feel are right, though they ultimately have to live with the consequences. 

I wasn’t being dismissive of anyone’s opinion in particular though, to be fair, helping to run a fans forum doesn’t disbar me from doing that, should I chose to.  Take a chill pill. 

41 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m not convinced that’s true. Look at our experience with owners or majority shareholders running the club and how much attention they usually paid to fan pressure or opinion. Robinson, Romanov, Budge are prime examples of how an owner can ride roughshod over fans wishes and opinions. Look at Man Utd, Arsenal and some of the other big clubs down there and how they are getting on with dominant owners.

if Mr Anderson wants to invest in Hearts that’s great. He’s very welcome but I’d be against any individual owning more than 49% of the club. If that we’re to happen the FOH would be redundant and the pledges would all but vanish overnight

Nookie Bear
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Would be interesting to have someone like him make a valuation on what they believe the TV deal should be relative what what Doncaster seems to think is a ‘great deal’ 😭

I still cringe at the way Doncaster behaved towards JA when money was literally being thrown at the clubs. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
34 minutes ago, Biffa Bacon said:

You have to laugh at the critics continually telling self made millionaires where they are going wrong.

What I love about the internet, everyone is an expert but yet have to resort to anonymous mutterings while toddliing along, probably not to the highest of standards in their own job.

Why you should never get angry online 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’m not convinced that’s true. Look at our experience with owners or majority shareholders running the club and how much attention they usually paid to fan pressure or opinion. Robinson, Romanov, Budge are prime examples of how an owner can ride roughshod over fans wishes and opinions. Look at Man Utd, Arsenal and some of the other big clubs down there and how they are getting on with dominant owners.

if Mr Anderson wants to invest in Hearts that’s great. He’s very welcome but I’d be against any individual owning more than 49% of the club. If that we’re to happen the FOH would be redundant and the pledges would all but vanish overnight

To be honest Jim a lot of fan opinion should absolutely be ignored, but not on topics that are fundamental as to where you play 

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Wee question here Jimmy.

If you were in JA's shoes and wanted to invest big in HMFC, would you be ecstatic with a 49% share and effectively let others dictate what happens with your "investment"?

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

They can of course but if the fans stop giving money then they can force changes. 

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Wee question here Jimmy.

If you were in JA's shoes and wanted to invest big in HMFC, would you be ecstatic with a 49% share and effectively let others dictate what happens with your "investment"?

If I was JA I wouldn’t dream of ‘investing’ in Hearts. It’s money he would never see again. If I was JA I’d be happy to continue as a benefactor with little or no say as to how the money is used and the odd perks that no doubt come along with being such a generous benefactor . I’d do the same as JA if I won the lottery.

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

If he was chairman and FoH still owned the club then he would ultimately be accountable to them as the major shareholder. If he had bought the FoH shares, the scenario I was imagining, then he is ultimately accountable to himself as the major shareholder. Both scenarios seem highly unlikely imo. 

Leaders, in any organisation, sometimes have to take decisions that may be unpopular but they feel are right, though they ultimately have to live with the consequences. 

I wasn’t being dismissive of anyone’s opinion in particular though, to be fair, helping to run a fans forum doesn’t disbar me from doing that, should I chose to.  Take a chill pill. 

Again he would be accountable to the fans, in either scenario. Fans are the clubs, there’s nothing without them. 
You’re forgetting you don’t tell me what to do aren’t you, even on here. 

Dear oh dear, some folk need to remember we are a football club and all most care about is watching a decent team playing attacking football to the best of their ability.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They can of course but if the fans stop giving money then they can force changes. 

True, but for most clubs they take advantage of the fact that fans are highly unlikely to mount an effective cash reducing boycott. Our fans wouldn’t and we’ve been through times where we probably should have (not without consequences doing that of course)I’m not aware of that having been done anywhere else really.(forcing owners out by strangling the cash flow)

Edited by JimmyCant

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If I was JA I wouldn’t dream of ‘investing’ in Hearts. It’s money he would never see again. If I was JA I’d be happy to continue as a benefactor with little or no say as to how the money is used and the odd perks that no doubt come along with being such a generous benefactor . I’d do the same as JA if I won the lottery.

I asked

if you were JA and wanted to "invest" in Hearts ....

JA I'm sure is sharp enough know the difference between "investing" and investing.

davemclaren
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Again he would be accountable to the fans, in either scenario. Fans are the clubs, there’s nothing without them. 
You’re forgetting you don’t tell me what to do aren’t you, even on here. 

Depends on the outcomes of their unpopular decisions. Fergus McCann was unpopular at one point with the Celtic fans but because his unpopular decisions turned the club around he left as a hero. You have to be mindful of but not a slave to fan opinion. 

I knew I would get the response in your last sentence. 😄

stevie1874
12 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Wee question here Jimmy.

He does invest a decent amount at the moment with no shares and say

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

I think he ( and other benefactors ) might have a say on what happens with their money. Last season £100k of the benefactors money was specifically for the women’s team according to Ann at the last agm I attended. 

2 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Yes but now he is retired it would be a personal investment

I don’t think he has retired in the normal context of the word. I’m sure I read he moving from his current role to a new job in Sweden or Norway or somewhere Scandinavian. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Depends on the outcomes of their unpopular decisions. Fergus McCann was unpopular at one point with the Celtic fans but because his unpopular decisions turned the club around he left as a hero. You have to be mindful of but not a slave to fan opinion. 

I knew I would get the response in your last sentence. 😄

Owners are not accountable to fans.  They are accountable to their shareholders who normally would be silly not to take heed what they think fans want and voice any concerns at the AGM.  The head of Marks and Spencer is only accountanble to his/her shareholders but they would ignore customer trends etc at their peril.

Rogue Daddy
31 minutes ago, OTT said:

I've stated on a couple of threads, it would be interesting if him and some of his Amazon/Tesla buddies were to get involved with sponsoring the scottish leagues or getting involved in 'SPFL tv' or the like.... Im sure, if they were offering substantial amounts, they would be able to have some say on how they are (equally) distributed? May go a long way to making our game a bit more of a 'level playing field'... if you know what I mean.

9 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Indeed.

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I asked

if you were JA and wanted to "invest" in Hearts ....

JA I'm sure is sharp enough know the difference between "investing" and investing.

If I ‘wanted’ to invest in Hearts ? By ‘invest’ I assume you mean with an expectation of a return at some point. That’s not really viable so ‘wanting to’ is an unlikely hypothetical. If I’m not expecting a return and it’s just a vanity project then I’m happy somewhere between 20% & 49%. A certain amount of say and a certain amount of input and a certain amount of kudos when things go right along with minimal responsibility and an easy get out if it doesn’t go right. I Can only think of one instance where an investment in a football club produced a healthy dividend return and that was Fergus McCann at Celtic

13 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

That’s not an investment. That’s a gift. Investment suggests you want your money back at some point or you want a share of what you’ve invested in

highlandjambo3
9 minutes ago, Paris 84 said:

I don’t think he has retired in the normal context of the word. I’m sure I read he moving from his current role to a new job in Sweden or Norway or somewhere Scandinavian. 

IKEA?

Jim Panzee
2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

You could just see the headlines....well, posts on JKB

"The monumental loser James Anderson FAIL FAIL FAIL!"

2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Indeed. The only recent owner we’ve had who had any kind of long term affinity with and respect of the fan base was Wallace Mercer, even that turned sour eventually.