Stadium Improvements

Boris5115

King Of The Cat Cafe
10 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Doctors, Lawyers, Football managers and now architect's. 

JKB has most things covered.

We need some grammarians to get rid of those stray apostrophes.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Pasquale for King

• Thomaso

• Libertarian

39 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Disagree, people can still go to the pub pre game & get in an absolute state (some drinking more than they would otherwise because they know they’re not getting a pint in the ground imo) & then post game can sit in the boozer and do it all again. Arseholes that go to the football to get pissed up and start a fight will do it anyway (& at least if they try it in the stadium they’ll be easier to identify & ban).

Meanwhile for the majority of us that can actually control ourselves we’ll have a much improved matchday experience, plus an extra revenue stream for clubs.

42 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Disagree, people can still go to the pub pre game & get in an absolute state (some drinking more than they would otherwise because they know they’re not getting a pint in the ground imo) & then post game can sit in the boozer and do it all again. Arseholes that go to the football to get pissed up and start a fight will do it anyway (& at least if they try it in the stadium they’ll be easier to identify & ban).

Meanwhile for the majority of us that can actually control ourselves we’ll have a much improved matchday experience, plus an extra revenue stream for clubs.

You are absolutely correct my friend. 

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Alcohol was sold at that game  

21 hours ago, AndyNic said:

It's not just you. Can you imagine 75% of the games every season having 15k/16k in a 30,000 seater stadium. Would look absolutely shite. 

Wait a minute. A few years ago when playing at Murrayfield we had 26,000 against Aberdeen, 36,000 against Rangers and over 20,000 against Kilmarnock and St Mirren. That was with a poor Hearts side. If we had a side which was challenging the crowds could be even bigger. This all amounts to a huge amount of lost revenue for the club. So we need a capacity of at least 30,000. We also need to increase the size of the pitch to be fully UEFA compliant. 

On 17/09/2021 at 14:34, jamboinglasgow said:

Would be interesting, though my worry is that we end up with something like Hibs, a really cheap training ground, miles away from anything. Oriam may have higher rental costs but its location is perfect and facilities are top of the range.

Can't be worse than what we have now. I've said for ages that I think it's bonkers training on astroturf/3G.

We play (most of) our league games on grass so we should train on grass.

55 minutes ago, Halliphax said:

Can't be worse than what we have now. I've said for ages that I think it's bonkers training on astroturf/3G.

Do we not train on the external grass pitches at Riccarton?

I have to say that the stadium capacity is far to low for us to achieve any sort of success long term. We need around 10k more seats but possibly adding it in stages. We are not even that brilliant right now and hitting 17k against smaller clubs....As for the big games we are losing money by not having a big enough stadium....Its time we where more ambitious and why we didn't use the Romanov blueprint for a 12k main stand was a bad decision....obviously without the hotel....At the hibs game we have sections masked off....this is the only ground in the world that does this....Out gate was 18.5k.....honestly the money getting lost is scary over the years....

I'm hoping  we can have a  new Wheatfield further back with a 2 tier holding around 10k( supporters bar included) with 2 corners filled in in the years ahead and maybe a new school end stand too.    I'm sure this can be done over the next 10 years and put the club on a higher level.

I'm sure this had all been covered but this is the only way we can grow at tyncastle. Unless your one of the ...the stadium is fine and i'm happy not competing for the league and happy with 3rd at best lol.

Lets make it happen.....

Just now, chrisyboy7 said:

I have to say that the stadium capacity is far to low for us to achieve any sort of success long term. We need around 10k more seats but possibly adding it in stages. We are not even that brilliant right now and hitting 17k against smaller clubs....As for the big games we are losing money by not having a big enough stadium....Its time we where more ambitious and why we didn't use the Romanov blueprint for a 12k main stand was a bad decision....obviously without the hotel....At the hibs game we have sections masked off....this is the only ground in the world that does this....Out gate was 18.5k.....honestly the money getting lost is scary over the years....

I'm hoping  we can have a  new Wheatfield further back with a 2 tier holding around 10k( supporters bar included) with 2 corners filled in in the years ahead and maybe a new school end stand too.    I'm sure this can be done over the next 10 years and put the club on a higher level.

I'm sure this had all been covered but this is the only way we can grow at tyncastle. Unless your one of the ...the stadium is fine and i'm happy not competing for the league and happy with 3rd at best lol.

Lets make it happen.....

Someone correct me if im wrong but im sure the new main stand cost in excess of £14million. Per my earlier post on this thread, I believe the only scope we have for expansion is a bigger Wheatfield but im not 100% this would be possible, and would certainly cost at least the £14million even it it was just a shell inside. 

4 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Someone correct me if im wrong but im sure the new main stand cost in excess of £14million. Per my earlier post on this thread, I believe the only scope we have for expansion is a bigger Wheatfield but im not 100% this would be possible, and would certainly cost at least the £14million even it it was just a shell inside. 

What's money got to do with it.....It's what we need to do to have any level of sustained success... We also have very wealthy people on the board that can possibly help/lend.  FOH generates currently 1.5 million a year....this could grow too along with players sales etc but it can be done...An increase of 60k fans per season would bring in around another 1.5million....It can be done or we can not bother and never really compete in Europe again......The club is operating at half of it limit.....when Romonov came the initial application for season tickets where just under 21k......that 1 season with a good team.......The skys the limit but not in the current stadium I'm afraid as we need to generate way more income......a steady expansion is the answer....We should all be more positive.....

14 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Lets make it happen.....

Great points. I honestly believe we would benefit massively with a larger capacity. A really good team challenging the old firm every season is my dream, I’m so done with playing for 3rd place.

Mr Anderson please make it happen!

1 hour ago, Libertarian said:

Wait a minute. A few years ago when playing at Murrayfield we had 26,000 against Aberdeen, 36,000 against Rangers and over 20,000 against Kilmarnock and St Mirren. That was with a poor Hearts side. If we had a side which was challenging the crowds could be even bigger. This all amounts to a huge amount of lost revenue for the club. So we need a capacity of at least 30,000. We also need to increase the size of the pitch to be fully UEFA compliant. 

I think that was partly the novelty factor,  and both Aberdeen and Rangers in particular had massive away supports. I'm not keen on that being the way forward. 

1 hour ago, chrisyboy7 said:

What's money got to do with it.....It's what we need to do to have any level of sustained success... We also have very wealthy people on the board that can possibly help/lend.  FOH generates currently 1.5 million a year....this could grow too along with players sales etc but it can be done...An increase of 60k fans per season would bring in around another 1.5million....It can be done or we can not bother and never really compete in Europe again......The club is operating at half of it limit.....when Romonov came the initial application for season tickets where just under 21k......that 1 season with a good team.......The skys the limit but not in the current stadium I'm afraid as we need to generate way more income......a steady expansion is the answer....We should all be more positive.....

Lets make it happen.....

3 hours ago, Libertarian said:

Thankyou for posting this, I genuinely couldn't be arsed pointing this out 👍, but you understand and get what the goal is ☺ this would also benefit us in years to come, and it would make us a step ahead of both Aberdeen and Hibs. 

Glad I'm not the only one who has this ambition. 

1 hour ago, Hmfc1965 said:

I think that was partly the novelty factor,  and both Aberdeen and Rangers in particular had massive away supports. I'm not keen on that being the way forward. 

Think Aberdeen had just over 5K and the huns 13K fans. The latter was too many.

1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

Think Aberdeen had just over 5K and the huns 13K fans. The latter was too many.

I think people underestimate how big a fanbase we have, I would rather both Rangers and Celtic got feck all when coming to tynecastle. 

But if it's going to benefit the club in the long term, would happily give them4/5k. 

At the end of the day what do Hearts want to achieve as a club? Do we just want to pretend we can challenge the old firm or give it a real go, the potential we have with our fanbase is unbelievable tbh. 

It would be nice to have our own training ground, but the one we currently use, is the best in Scotland so unless we can match that, I don't see the point in getting our own. 

We can get our own if we can get bigger attendances, being successful in Europe and League. 

And selling players for a profit. 

But i really believe we need to expand our stadium too get ahead of both Hibs and Aberdeen. 

One step ahead. 

Can you imagine what a 30k seater stadium would do if you had a choice of joining Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts it's a no brainer. 

It would be nice to have our own training ground, but the one we currently use, is the best in Scotland so unless we can match that, I don't see the point in getting our own. 

We can get our own if we can get bigger attendances, being successful in Europe and League. 

And selling players for a profit. 

But i really believe we need to expand our stadium too get ahead of both Hibs and Aberdeen. 

One step ahead. 

Can you imagine what a 30k seater stadium would do if you had a choice of joining Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Not bothered about building a training ground in all honesty. The cost of maintainance won’t be far off what it costs to use oriam.  Would rather we invested in 5000 extra seats.. 30k would be a little too much at present, 25k just perfect. 

On 17/09/2021 at 14:34, jamboinglasgow said:

Would be interesting, though my worry is that we end up with something like Hibs, a really cheap training ground, miles away from anything. Oriam may have higher rental costs but its location is perfect and facilities are top of the range.

100% this. 

Oriam should be the clubs primary option for training. 

What could be done better is to supplement the existing set up (potentially with a new building/car park/entrance/separation of Oriam and the Academy). This idea is based on land availability and planning. 

Edit - If you look at a map - there's a field to the South of Oriam that could potentially be home to a new facility. A new facility there with the option of renting the Oriam indoor facility could be realistic. 

Edited by Mysterion
Added additional bit.

A_A wehatethehibs

Meanwhile back here in reality. We can forget increasing the capacity, for at least 20 years or so. And that conversation, when it comes around, will far more likely be about a new stadium, not redevelopment at Tynecastle. If a 30,000+ capacity is the aim. 

A new training ground on the other hand is something we could afford in the immediate future. It’s just about the money really. Which option costs Hearts less £, option 1 a new campus, or option 2 the rent at Oriam for the next 20 years. It could be that by having our own park, we’d save a boat load of money which can get spent on players. So that decision will be left to the bean counters. 

On 18/09/2021 at 12:21, AndyNic said:

It's not just you. Can you imagine 75% of the games every season having 15k/16k in a 30,000 seater stadium. Would look absolutely shite. 

More pay at the gate, must be good for the club? I think so ,

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Not bothered about building a training ground in all honesty. The cost of maintainance won’t be far off what it costs to use oriam.  Would rather we invested in 5000 extra seats.. 30k would be a little too much at present, 25k just perfect. 

I think ideally, expand to 25k, prove we can fill it then move up another level after that.

Think there are really valid points about lost income, we think in terms of the league being designed for the OF, but its 2 guaranteed full houses against those 2, which is 4 + Hibs which is 6 (assuming the losers manage to actually finish top 6 :P). On top of that you have Aberdeen who is close to a capacity crowd too. Thats 8 out of the 18/19 home games full houses. With a bit of momentum attendances in less desirable games will rise too, and there are measures we could take to assure that - reduced ticket prices, free tickets to kids, bring a friend for a tenner  - stuff like that. I think we should seek to make the league structure work for us. The OF are never going to vote for change, neither are the smaller clubs dependent on the away end to subsidise them. 

I don't think its worth getting too caught up in unsold seats in games against the diddy clubs. Every club struggles to attract supporters to those kinds of games. Its nothing new to get worried about. I think we have an opportunity to show that we are a sleeping giant and begin to realise our potential, but its going to take a level of ambition from the board to achieve that. 

Maybe a starting point is a viability study on further expansion at Tynecastle, so we can establish what our maximum capacity could be in black and white (so everyone knows what we can and cannot do) and go from there. 

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Meanwhile back here in reality. We can forget increasing the capacity, for at least 20 years or so. And that conversation, when it comes around, will far more likely be about a new stadium, not redevelopment at Tynecastle. If a 30,000+ capacity is the aim. 

A new training ground on the other hand is something we could afford in the immediate future. It’s just about the money really. Which option costs Hearts less £, option 1 a new campus, or option 2 the rent at Oriam for the next 20 years. It could be that by having our own park, we’d save a boat load of money which can get spent on players. So that decision will be left to the bean counters. 

A new stadium 😂😂

9 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think ideally, expand to 25k, prove we can fill it then move up another level after that.

Think there are really valid points about lost income, we think in terms of the league being designed for the OF, but its 2 guaranteed full houses against those 2, which is 4 + Hibs which is 6 (assuming the losers manage to actually finish top 6 :P). On top of that you have Aberdeen who is close to a capacity crowd too. Thats 8 out of the 18/19 home games full houses. With a bit of momentum attendances in less desirable games will rise too, and there are measures we could take to assure that - reduced ticket prices, free tickets to kids, bring a friend for a tenner  - stuff like that. I think we should seek to make the league structure work for us. The OF are never going to vote for change, neither are the smaller clubs dependent on the away end to subsidise them. 

I don't think its worth getting too caught up in unsold seats in games against the diddy clubs. Every club struggles to attract supporters to those kinds of games. Its nothing new to get worried about. I think we have an opportunity to show that we are a sleeping giant and begin to realise our potential, but its going to take a level of ambition from the board to achieve that. 

Maybe a starting point is a viability study on further expansion at Tynecastle, so we can establish what our maximum capacity could be in black and white (so everyone knows what we can and cannot do) and go from there. 

build it and they will come

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Thankyou for posting this, I genuinely couldn't be arsed pointing this out 👍, but you understand and get what the goal is ☺ this would also benefit us in years to come, and it would make us a step ahead of both Aberdeen and Hibs. 

Glad I'm not the only one who has this ambition. 

Yes some people just dont get it...we need to start planning now

13 minutes ago, OTT said:

Brilliant post.....

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

If that proves to be the case about costs being similar we won't move although I suspect it might prove to be significantly more cost effective to move away. 

Oriam is a great facility so if we are able to renew the lease on acceptable terms that would be ideal. The option of owning our own training facility needs to be looked at as we approach the end of the lease.

With the backing of FoH and James Anderson there is potential to fund something to rival Oriam as opposed to a nothing building like Hibs' barn.

Sooo I'm a bit bleary eyed from nightshifts and long working week but I'm pretty sure the 5 mins I've invested in reading posts this last 24 hours surround fantasists and many a Walter Mitty... 🤪🙃😶🤯

Wow!!!!!!🙈

45 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

If that proves to be the case about costs being similar we won't move although I suspect it might prove to be significantly more cost effective to move away. 

Oriam is a great facility so if we are able to renew the lease on acceptable terms that would be ideal. The option of owning our own training facility needs to be looked at as we approach the end of the lease.

With the backing of FoH and James Anderson there is potential to fund something to rival Oriam as opposed to a nothing building like Hibs' barn.

This for me is the crux of it. 

If we're going to build something underwhelming then just stay at Oriam. I think we need to look at building facilities which match our ambition. We spent £26m on a new stand. Way over budget. But the funds were found and it was completed. I want Hearts to have facilities where players come and realise this is a club with demands. 

Murray Park was £14m (In 2001)

Lennoxtown looks like £15m was raised but construction was only £8m (In 2007). 

Hibs £5m (In 2007)

Aberdeen £13m (in 2019).

I think we're going to need to spend around£10-15m to get something decent based on the above. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned West Lothian which might mean cheaper land? 

Bret the Hitman Hearts
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

build it and they will come

Is what Scottish football clubs thought in the 1990s, and is how Airdrie ended up with a 10,000 seater stadium - madness

11 hours ago, Halliphax said:

You do know there are about a half dozen grass pitches at Orium. Also makes sense to have 3G for when the weather is crap and to practise for games against teams who have 3G 

6 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Yes the support is definatly there

Yes for a team playing winning and entertaining football.

8 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

And where exactly are these 5,000 extra seats going to go and at what cost? 🤔

4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

There seems to be a strange fascination to add 5000 extra seats, unless we have a season ticket waiting list then our current capacity is near enough perfect in my view.  Extra seats would mean a diluting of the atmosphere, a considerable cost which would impact on playing squad would be the tip of the iceberg in terms of cons.

LarrysRightFoot

Apologies if already covered but it looks like safe standing is going to keep gathering momentum. 

Am right in thinking 1 seat = 1.5 standing spaces? If so 5k seats being replaced by safe standing could increase capacity by 2.5k. 

Personally I would have liked the new stand to have been a larger 2 tier number. 

2 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

There seems to be a strange fascination to add 5000 extra seats, unless we have a season ticket waiting list then our current capacity is near enough perfect in my view.  Extra seats would mean a diluting of the atmosphere, a considerable cost which would impact on playing squad would be the tip of the iceberg in terms of cons.

I personally think an extra 5,000 seats would be great but it’s a total fantasy as there is no way of integrating them to the current stadium without a complete re-design and a budget of millions!

2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Apologies if already covered but it looks like safe standing is going to keep gathering momentum. 

Am right in thinking 1 seat = 1.5 standing spaces? If so 5k seats being replaced by safe standing could increase capacity by 2.5k. 

Personally I would have liked the new stand to have been a larger 2 tier number. 

I very much doubt that. 

Up to someone to prove it.

49 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I would doubt it. It would most likely be the same number of seats. 

The stands would have been designed to deal with a set number of spectators as far as exits and passageways are concerned. I'm sure the club has to prove it can empty the stands in under a set time to get their safety certificates. I would imagine we must already be pretty maxed out for our exits. 

I was talking to someone who is very knowlegable about safe standing. He was saying the maximum gradient for rail seats is the exact same as normal seats.  Increased from 34 to 35 degrees in 2018.  

More important could be the depth of the rows as they can be quite narrow in older stands. 

A lot of what people think is safe standing is actually rail seating not meant for 'full time' standing but for times in the match such as a goal .

Celtic have this and a number of other clubs are doing the same often on a trial basis

Liverpool are looking to do this as part of the stadium expansion at the Anfield Road end but it won't increase the capacity in any way

In place at Old Trafford.....

Fans in the new rail seating section made for safe standing during the pre-season friendly match at Old Trafford, Manchester. Picture date: Wednesday July 28, 2021.

1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I believe the supporter/space ratio at Celtic is 1:1 so I doubt this would be a method allowed to increase capacity in Scotland in the foreseeable future. I think it in Germany it is 1.5:1.

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

The club can tell us what they can do, and I've never said we do it right now, but i would be more than willing to help fund it, as I'm sure many others would , it's thinking long term and wanting to be better than you're rivals 👍

We also have James who seems to not mind giving out money for a good cause, this would help our club grow.

And give us an advantage over both Hibs and Aberdeen 👍

By no means am i saying tynecastle is shite, but these things can surely be put to the board and considered, long term goals and short term. 

Nobody can say they wouldn't want a tynecastle that is 30k seater stadium, like it or not the population is only going to get bigger which means more fans, which means bigger stadium necessary, increased revenue for the club means being able to buy or retain better players like Woodburn / Souttar long term 🤔😁

As far as it being fantasy did anyone really think they would ever get a new main stand 🤔 but with the will and determination we finally got it. 

LarrysRightFoot
10 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

I believe the supporter/space ratio at Celtic is 1:1 so I doubt this would be a method allowed to increase capacity in Scotland in the foreseeable future. I think it in Germany it is 1.5:1.

I thought id seen that ratio somewhere. Wonder how it works and the requirements to implement it. 

11 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

The club can tell us what they can do, and I've never said we do it right now, but i would be more than willing to help fund it, as I'm sure many others would , it's thinking long term and wanting to be better than you're rivals 👍

We also have James who seems to not mind giving out money for a good cause, this would help our club grow.

And give us an advantage over both Hibs and Aberdeen 👍

Well put 👍

13 hours ago, Thomaso said:

I personally think an extra 5,000 seats would be great but it’s a total fantasy as there is no way of integrating them to the current stadium without a complete re-design and a budget of millions!

A few years ago a poster , think it was the guy who wrote X miles from Tynecastle, outlined how with no changes to the Wheatfield barring a new roof several (can't remember the exact no ) thousand seats could be added to the existing rear seating. The stand would remain single tier and yes it would require a budget of millions but far lower than the more fantastic proposals on this thread.

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

A few years ago a poster , think it was the guy who wrote X miles from Tynecastle, outlined how with no changes to the Wheatfield barring a new roof several (can't remember the exact no ) thousand seats could be added to the existing rear seating. The stand would remain single tier and yes it would require a budget of millions but far lower than the more fantastic proposals on this thread.

Once I win the Euro millions lottery it will all be sorted.