Stadium Improvements

Boris5115

5 minutes ago, 1953 said:

There should not be any difference between football and rugby imo. Alcohol shouldn't be allowed in either. I go to the rugby occasionally and am sick of people constantly leaving their seats for more drink, going for a pee, more drink etc. Goes on all game. Just sit in your seat and watch the game. I really don't want that to start at football.

The reason i don't have any beer before a game is exactly that, disturbing folk watching the game to go to the peehoose. It was okay years ago before all seaters, you could just shuffle your way towards the nearest bog and it was never an issue. Now all i hear when folk want past is tuts, inhales and comments under their breath. Plenty time for beer after a game.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Pasquale for King

• Thomaso

• Libertarian

3 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Don't think alcohol should be serves during the game for the reasons you've given, before and after the game  - no problem.

I went to a Newcastle game a few years ago and there were lots of bars and plenty drink but you couldn't take it to your seat. The sports bar that we had tickets for was like the theatre. You put your halftime order in before the game and all the drinks were lined up on the bar just in time for the halftime whistle so no clamour to get served. It seemed to work quite well to be fair.

So this genius East-West instead of North -South idea to give us 35,000 seats. How does this work? We already have to have a scaled down and lowered Gorgie Stand because of the tenements behind it, I really don't think a full size full length of the pitch would go down too well with the residents. 

Pasquale for King
56 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

To be fair they should have fixed the problem the first time rather than add some capacity to cope with repeat issues. Lucky I’ve never had that problem, though I did once forget my ST and had to queue up. 

That’s the first time for me, a real eye opener. I’m usually the one trying to get through the big queue to get into the 22-26 turnstiles. 
Two young staff on though, the others were floating about doing nothing. 
I went from looking forward to the game to a state of panic/rage I was going to miss the start after getting there around 11:25am. 
There was 50-100 folk behind me 🙈
No I have to go and get another ST and hope it works against Livi. 

33 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s the first time for me, a real eye opener. I’m usually the one trying to get through the big queue to get into the 22-26 turnstiles. 
Two young staff on though, the others were floating about doing nothing. 
I went from looking forward to the game to a state of panic/rage I was going to miss the start after getting there around 11:25am. 
There was 50-100 folk behind me 🙈
No I have to go and get another ST and hope it works against Livi. 

Surely they can check it scans properly before they give you it? 😄

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Surely they can check it scans properly before they give you it? 😄

Well you would think so, that’s hundreds of folk for both home games it’s happened too. Funnily enough none of us looked like Platinum or Gold ST holders. 
Just another amateurish shambles in a long line of them. 

I will email them but not hold my breath for any reply. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

King Of The Cat Cafe
3 hours ago, Deans Jambo said:

We do but it isn't the main problem as you can see from the photo there is one long queue for the turnstiles and hardly anyone at the actual turnstiles! There needs to be a least 5 queues but might require closing off the road. 

20210914_150955.jpg

This photo highlight an urgent need that has a cheap fix:

A row of crush barriers from the turnstiles along the edge of the footpath all the way back to the car park in the top right.

That is the only way to stop the barstewards who walk down that street on the left (can't remember what it's called) and jump in ahead of people who have been queuing all the way along.

24 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

This photo highlight an urgent need that has a cheap fix:

A row of crush barriers from the turnstiles along the edge of the footpath all the way back to the car park in the top right.

That is the only way to stop the barstewards who walk down that street on the left (can't remember what it's called) and jump in ahead of people who have been queuing all the way along.

It really pisses me off too. I use the Gorgie entrance because of this.

2 hours ago, 1953 said:

There should not be any difference between football and rugby imo. Alcohol shouldn't be allowed in either. I go to the rugby occasionally and am sick of people constantly leaving their seats for more drink, going for a pee, more drink etc. Goes on all game. Just sit in your seat and watch the game. I really don't want that to start at football.

With you there, watch the game, if you want a drink go to the pub 

5 hours ago, Libertarian said:

My understanding is that the Tynecastle pitch is below the minimum size stipulated by UEFA. Hope I'm wrong about this.

As is Anfield and Stamford Bridge. Our pitch is exactly the same size as Wolves, who played in Europe last year. We have nothing to worry about 👍🏻

5 hours ago, Thomaso said:

For the umpteenth time the cost wasn’t just for a basic stand to accommodate 3.5k more fans!

It including purchasing the Plaza area, 5 hospitality suites, dressing rooms, fitness area, offices, club shop, fans bar and a nursery!

And all the previous seats (3,500) in the old stand which were low grade (ie bronze and silver?) were upgraded to silver, gold and platinum! Big boost to turnover!

10 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Might it be possible to extend the Wheatfield up the way with a second tier, so creating an overhang, rather than extending the footprint?

Sure that's been done at other stadia previously (Old Trafford, perhaps?)

Not a chance. The Wheatfield is already as steep as you can go.  If you even could build a higher tier directly above the existing stand, for everything but the front row to actually be able to see the pitch, the steepness of that tier would have to be way more extreme than the existing stand. Not only would it (rightly) never be allowed, it would be bloody scary to sit in and only a matter of time before there was a tragedy as someone took a tumble!

The only ways to increase capacity of the Wheatfield would be to either build an extension on the back that just adds extra rows continuing the current gradient or, to have an overhang, to rip the whole thing down and rebuild with a lower tier that's much less steep and then you could have an upper tier that's similar in steepness to the current stand and overhangs the lower tier. Even that would still realistically need to be on a bigger footprint to be worthwhile. 

9 hours ago, One five said:

Yeah if I could get a beer then a coffee would certainly be swerved for me , agree if rugby fans can enjoy a beer at half time why not football fans 🤷‍♂️

Rugby fans behave 

football fans don’t 

8 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

As is Anfield and Stamford Bridge. Our pitch is exactly the same size as Wolves, who played in Europe last year. We have nothing to worry about 👍🏻

I honestly didn't know that. Good to know. 

11 hours ago, Hesh said:

A sensible approach would be for clubs permitted to sell alcohol prior to the game and encouraging supporters to enter the ground earlier. 

August Landmesser
5 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Rugby fans behave 

football fans don’t 

What about Irish rugby fans?

King Of The Cat Cafe
39 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

A sensible approach would be for clubs permitted to sell alcohol prior to the game and encouraging supporters to enter the ground earlier. 

As happens in England.

10 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

Molineux pitch is 105 x 68 whilst Tynecastle is 100 x 64. 

1 hour ago, One five said:

Very true unfortunately  

While broadly true as others have said Football fans in England can drink so why not Scotland?  Historically , fan behaviour down south was/is more of a problem than in Scotland.  

18 hours ago, One five said:

Yeah if I could get a beer then a coffee would certainly be swerved for me , agree if rugby fans can enjoy a beer at half time why not football fans 🤷‍♂️

Because rugby fans do not go on drunken rampages and the rivalry between teens is not as idiotic as some in this country. 

First thing to do is sort out the turnstiles. They are far too narrow.

The current generation of fans is taller, broader and fatter than they were back in the day.

I have to pick and choose which one to go through because some are even narrower than the rest. In winter, when we are are wearing heavy jackets they can be almost impossible to get through ! 

Pasquale for King
18 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Do you wake up angry, get angrier then go to sleep angry, the wake up even angrier, then get more angry... 

Good point, nothing to do with the shambles that meant hundreds of Season ticket holders once again are being short changed by a regime that couldn’t run a piss up in a brewery, for the “Real Hearts fans” there’s only sweetness and light. 
Do you think it’s acceptable that twice my ST hasn’t worked?
Or that there’s two youngsters working in the TO on a match day when they know there will be huge queues?

Would you go back to a pub to drink on a Sunday morning (maybe cut back on your drinking) before a game that only had two staff on to serve hundreds of customers?

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Because rugby fans do not go on drunken rampages and the rivalry between teens is not as idiotic as some in this country. 

They do, not as much but anyone having encountered rugby fans after games in town would testify to that. 

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

While broadly true as others have said Football fans in England can drink so why not Scotland?  Historically , fan behaviour down south was/is more of a problem than in Scotland.  

well that’s not really true at all. It maybe is now but before the drink ban Scotland held that title..

I don’t disagree that you should be able to buy some alcohol but it should be limited in some way

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Rugby fans behave 

football fans don’t 

Ask anyone who’s worked in a pub in town before or after a game if they behave, a total myth. 

Pasquale for King
15 hours ago, Hesh said:

Both of you make good points to which I agree. But we are missing out on a lot of revenue because of the ban, imagine how much money has been lost in the last 40 years by all clubs here. I think it will be something they will look at in this new in depth review. 

4 hours ago, Libertarian said:

Not unreasonable 

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Ask anyone who’s worked in a pub in town before or after a game if they behave, a total myth. 

I'd say generally they are more considerate to each other in and around the ground.

I haven't been told to eff off (old man) if someone is in my seat at Murrayfield (no worries when Edinburgh playing) and ask them to go to their own but going to an away Hearts game when away allocation is sold out is another matter.

The pubs thing I'm in full agreement with.

Having sampled the crap expensive beer they sell in English stadia I’m not interested in having a beer at the actual match. Is it still the case that you can’t have a beer in view of the pitch down South?

Should be a new law that states "consuming alcohol at football matches is allowed unless you are a Rangers or Celtic supporter". The end.

Fairly sure it was those arseholes who spoiled it for us anyway (not saying Hearts fans were not bams back in the day but that lot were professionals compared to us).

49 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They do, not as much but anyone having encountered rugby fans after games in town would testify to that. 

But not in the stadiums and THAT is the problem.  Not the clubs responsibility once they leave the confines of the Ground.

17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Having sampled the crap expensive beer they sell in English stadia I’m not interested in having a beer at the actual match. Is it still the case that you can’t have a beer in view of the pitch down South?

Given the proximity of pubs within 2 minutes of the ground, I never understand peoples obsession with wanting to drink watered down lager from a plastic tumbler whilst standing on a freezing cold concourse.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Heartsofgold said:

But not in the stadiums and THAT is the problem.  Not the clubs responsibility once they leave the confines of the Ground.

I could give you ten links showing problems they’ve caused in stadiums also, it’s a total myth that they behave I’m afraid. 
Here’s a good one. 
https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/welsh-police-rant-about-nightmare-rugby-fans-being-worse-than-football-supporters-42765

41 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Both of you make good points to which I agree. But we are missing out on a lot of revenue because of the ban, imagine how much money has been lost in the last 40 years by all clubs here. I think it will be something they will look at in this new in depth review. 

agree on the missed revenue, as a slight aside my England ticket for next 6n is 85 quid, roughly a pound a minute. Going for a 5£ pint during the game has an equivalent cost of £15 including missed watching the game time.

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I'd say generally they are more considerate to each other in and around the ground.

I haven't been told to eff off (old man) if someone is in my seat at Murrayfield (no worries when Edinburgh playing) and ask them to go to their own but going to an away Hearts game when away allocation is sold out is another matter.

The pubs thing I'm in full agreement with.

Yeah I would say my experience of both games in grounds probably show that too. I just think folk have this idea about them being angels compared to football fans and they’re not. 

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I could give you ten links showing problems they’ve caused in stadiums also, it’s a total myth that they behave I’m afraid. 
Here’s a good one. 
https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/welsh-police-rant-about-nightmare-rugby-fans-being-worse-than-football-supporters-42765

Fair enough mate, can't argue with that.

I would love to be able to enjoy a pint in the ground and give more money to Hearts.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Hesh said:

agree on the missed revenue, as a slight aside my England ticket for next 6n is 85 quid, roughly a pound a minute. Going for a 5£ pint during the game has an equivalent cost of £15 including missed watching the game time.

Alcohol affects everyone’s behaviour, the biggest dicks at the Open are those who sit and watch it on a big screen drinking £5 pints. 
Yes it’s a good point that you are wasting money really, for those who want to though at least you have the option about 500 yards north west as the crow flies. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

I would love to be able to enjoy a pint in the ground and give more money to Hearts.

I think a lot of folk would, as it’s been said the already frequent trips to the toilets ( you know who you are)would no doubt increase 😱🙈😆

15 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

I think that we must be the only country in the world where spectators are denied the opportunity to have a drink in the ground. The Scottish government really do need to take a good look at themselves as their attitude is stuck in the dark ages............. Maybe the 17th century.

Does the 1874 bar demonstrate that selling beer in a club bar before and after matches is a money maker? I’d be surprised if it makes much, if any, profit. 

I still think it should have been called ‘The Scarf around the Funnel’. 😄

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

I think that we must be the only country in the world where spectators are denied the opportunity to have a drink in the ground. The Scottish government really do need to take a good look at themselves as their attitude is stuck in the dark ages............. Maybe the 17th century.

Yeah it’s definitely the Scottish governments fault that there’s been a ban on alcohol in Scotland since the 1980s. 
The uglies and their despicable fans are without doubt the main reason why we can’t have a pint in grounds.

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Does the 1874 bar demonstrate that selling beer in a club bar before and after matches is a money maker? I’d be surprised if it makes much, if any, profit. 

I still think it should have been called ‘The Scarf around the Funnel’. 😄

Ask the Chairman at the AGM or check the clubs accounts. 
Are you criticising the club for not making more money 😱😂?

Joking aside they undercut the other local pubs, they will make a huge profit on match days but the rest of the time probably not so much. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah it’s definitely the Scottish governments fault that there’s been a ban on alcohol in Scotland since the 1980s. 
The uglies and their despicable fans are without doubt the main reason why we can’t have a pint in grounds.

The Scottish Government didn’t exist when the ban was brought in. It probably is time for a review though when supporters misbehave, and it gets picked up by media, it makes that review less likely. I imagine the majority of adults wouldn’t back it, if they had a referendum on it 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The Scottish Government didn’t exist when the ban was brought in. It probably is time for a review though when supporters misbehave, and it gets picked up by media, it makes that review less likely. I imagine the majority of adults wouldn’t back it, if they had a referendum on it 

That was my point. 
The minority that misbehave shouldn’t really spoil it for the rest though. 
I still wouldn’t sell it to the uglies when they come 😆