Gerrard named Manager of the Year

Percival King

Percival King

Steven Gerrard has just been announced as football writers' manager of the year. Always seems odd to me that these awards are made before the end of the season. Nothing against Gerrard but Calum Davidson could lead St.Johnstone to a cup double, which would be an outstanding achievement, yet that make him manager of the year.

kingantti1874

They are on for an unbeaten season which much as we dislike them is some achievement given where they were. But  If Davidson wins both cups then that is incredible as well. Could have been a joint award

Edited by kingantti1874

If Super J’s win the double this season then that would blow anything Rangers have done out of the water. Unbeaten or not.

If Davidson manages to beat Hibs then he can manager of the decade for me.

If he doesn’t......he’ll be called all sorts of names for several hours.

Gordon Ramsay
20 minutes ago, DS98 said:

If Super J’s win the double this season then that would blow anything Rangers have done out of the water. Unbeaten or not.

Agreed. 

Салатные палочки
8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Remember which team knocked Sevco out the cup and where.

Votes were cast well before that pleasing result. 

Bazzas right boot

Rangers are a good side. 

Unbeaten, ripped celtic a new one and done well in Europe. 

The annoying thing about Gerrard for me is  he comes across well and I find it hard to dislike him. Unlike Rogers when he was at celtic, he was a slavering prick that thought he was a god. 

However, if St Johnstone do the double....or  if hibs finish 3rd and win the sc then maybe another manager will deserve it. 🙄

I think they should have held off until the outcome of the Scottish Cup. Callum Davidson wins that then that surpasses what Gerrards done this season. 

3 out 10 for bringing youngsters through.

He has been massively helped by the blank cheque book to build a strong squad. 

So Make Some Noise..

Nah... whilst it irks me to stick up for the current buns here, the guy has led them to preventing the other manky lot achieving 10 in a row, stuffed them royally in their head to heads and got them into the last 16 of the Europa league. I don't think anyone would have predicted that power shift.

Looking back on this season in years to come, that's what people will talk about most. St J's potentially doing a cup double is obviously a great achievement nonetheless.

Edited by So Make Some Noise..

2 hours ago, Percival King said:

Steven Gerrard has just been announced as football writers' manager of the year. Always seems odd to me that these awards are made before the end of the season. Nothing against Gerrard but Calum Davidson could lead St.Johnstone to a cup double, which would be an outstanding achievement, yet that make him manager of the year.

Odd is the word all right.

Never understood this.

Sevco could lose their last two games, losing the unbeaten streak and St Johnstone could pummel Hibs.

The fact is we don’t know. If it did play out that way CD should get it.

Berra than you
19 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think they should have held off until the outcome of the Scottish Cup. Callum Davidson wins that then that surpasses what Gerrards done this season. 

I never understood why they vote for these things as early as they do. It's not like counting up the votes would take a long time to do, they could easily postpone the vite until after the Scottish cup final. Bizzare.

If voting now I'd go Gerrard.

Hopefully in a week's time or so, I'd being saying 'but now I'd vote for Davidson'

indianajones

Deserved really. 

If the Saints stop Hibs then it would've been a much closer call.

Unbeaten and guiding his club to their first major honor. He's done well.

Dennis Reynolds

Think Davidson can feel a bit hard done by but Gerrard has also done a pretty incredible job.

For me Davidson just pips it at the moment. First season as a manager and on the verge of a double with St. Johnstone and a top 6 finish? That's some job he's done.

22games nro

You could possibly argue that winning the cup earlier and also being in another final in his rookie season,  Whether he wins the Scottish cup or not he could still win manager of the year .

I understand the pressure gerrard was under , but if you have a car race to win and you’re driving a sports car whilst the others are in milk floats ,you’re chances of winning are increased (even if one other team is also in a sports car but they put diesel in a petrol car !)

sorry, began to rant 😎

6 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

They are on for an unbeaten season which much as we dislike them is some achievement given where they were. But  If Davidson wins both cups then that is incredible as well. Could have been a joint award

Could be either depending on how things pan out so for me the decision has been made too soon.

It's a tough one but I always root for the wee guy.  Always thought Brian Clough was the greatest manager of them all with what he achieved at Derby then ultimately Nottingham Forest.  It's about resources for me.  On that basis IF St Johnstone win SC then what Davidson will have done will be in the miracle bracket.    Having said all that I do not begrudge Gerrard his award as he has been brilliant.  

It’s bollocks because it’s voted before the season ends. 
that said it’s probably right it goes to Gerard for me. Quite an achievement all thins considered.

If Davidson wins the SCup he will be legendary 

buzzbomb1958
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Pissy award.  I'll go with Robbie's award for the Championship manager of the month.

:verysmug:

I feel everything including budget size and the chance of certain clubs pulling off something they might never do again in their history be it long or short that being said the award should never be given until all competition has been played because if St Johnstone win the double it will be a brilliant achievement and should give the manager the award

frankblack
4 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

I feel everything including budget size and the chance of certain clubs pulling off something they might never do again in their history be it long or short that being said the award should never be given until all competition has been played because if St Johnstone win the double it will be a brilliant achievement and should give the manager the award

To be fair, its the first trophy his club have won in their short history. 👍

No Idle Talk

When St Johnstone complete the cup double next week, Callum Davidson will be the man who deserves this award. 

St Johnstone winning both cups in the same season would be a bigger achievement than what the knuckle draggers have done, all things considered.

The only thing making me disagree with this is my hatred for the Old Firm.

Gerrard has improved almost every player in his squad.  They went the season unbeaten and had some cracking European results.  

Ex member of the SaS

When deciding such awards it would be better if they took into consideration budgets. It's easy to win when you have the money to by quality players, but much harder ( and therefore a better manager ) if you do it on a shoe string. Gerrard and for example Lennon winning is no big deal due to the financial clout both managers have ( had ).

buzzbomb1958
48 minutes ago, frankblack said:

To be fair, its the first trophy his club have won in their short history. 👍

I'll give you that one😊

12 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

When deciding such awards it would be better if they took into consideration budgets. It's easy to win when you have the money to by quality players, but much harder ( and therefore a better manager ) if you do it on a shoe string. Gerrard and for example Lennon winning is no big deal due to the financial clout both managers have ( had ).

Budget is always number 1 I think.  But Gerrard improved an entire squad for the better and many of whom are not big money players.

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

The only thing making me disagree with this is my hatred for the Old Firm.

Gerrard has improved almost every player in his squad.  They went the season unbeaten and had some cracking European results.  

He's sold and got rid of many as well. 

Also taken 3 years and few tears early on to get to this position. 

Many rangers fans wanted him sacked after his team was put out the sc from the bottom of the league club last season. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

He's sold and got rid of many as well. 

Also taken 3 years and few tears early on to get to this position. 

Many rangers fans wanted him sacked after his team was put out the sc from the bottom of the league club last season. 

I know

:jj_facepalm:

Modern fitba is chronic.

These things take time and this is proof.  Most of that Rangers squad is bang average who he gets 100% out of and a decent tune most games.

Das Viertel Hearts
11 hours ago, Percival King said:

A block of Lurpak butter could lead Celtic/THE Rangers to victory with gigantic budgets.   

Truly truly pathetic. 

These scribblers what are they like.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I hate the Huns but Gerrard deserves it - although Davidson can be considered unlucky if he does win both cups.

6 hours ago, Homme said:

Well deserved.

Afraid so.  Mind you, with their resources they only had one club to beat and the failed miserably in the two domestic cups.

22 hours ago, So Make Some Noise.. said:

Nah... whilst it irks me to stick up for the current buns here, the guy has led them to preventing the other manky lot achieving 10 in a row, stuffed them royally in their head to heads and got them into the last 16 of the Europa league. I don't think anyone would have predicted that power shift.

Looking back on this season in years to come, that's what people will talk about most. St J's potentially doing a cup double is obviously a great achievement nonetheless.

In years to come, this will just be another title to them really.

For the fans of St Johnstone, this season will be talked about for decades if they win both cups. No comparison for me.

Not saying Gerrard isn't worthy, they've had a terrific league campaign. But guiding tiny St Johnstone to 2 trophies trumps guiding Rangers and their millions to a league title any day of the week for me.

Fozzyonthefence
11 hours ago, Homme said:

Well deserved.

Is it really though?   It’s not much of an achievement for Rangers or Celtic to win the league as they really only have to finish above one team since it’s a given that they’ll finish above the other 10.  They did get to the last 16 of the Europe though and look like going unbeaten in the league which is impressive.   But the mentality of Scottish football writers is that many would still have voted for Gerrard even if they’d won the league losing 8 games and flopping in Europe. 

If St Johnstone win the double though it should be Davidson all day long - to win 2 trophies in his first season would be an amazing achievement and to put it in context, Gerrard, with his huge budget, has only won 1 trophy out of 9 in his 3 years. 

Just shows why the vote shouldn’t be before the season is finished, farcical really.  Not sure who it was but one of the writers said he voted for Gerard because he had to send his vote in now but would have voted for Davidson if they win the double. 

Fozzyonthefence
19 hours ago, indianajones said:

Deserved really. 

If the Saints stop Hibs then it would've been a much closer call.

Unbeaten and guiding his club to their first major honor. He's done well.

That’s a good point - hopefully after next weekend they’ll be back to being 2 major honours behind Saints.😁

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

So Make Some Noise..
30 minutes ago, Locky said:

In years to come, this will just be another title to them really.

For the fans of St Johnstone, this season will be talked about for decades if they win both cups. No comparison for me.

Not saying Gerrard isn't worthy, they've had a terrific league campaign. But guiding tiny St Johnstone to 2 trophies trumps guiding Rangers and their millions to a league title any day of the week for me.

Yeah fair point, I guess I'm looking at this front the 'football writers' point of view. What sells more headlines, Rangers power shift, unbeaten run ending Celtic's 10 in a row dreams or as you say 'tiny St Johnstone' lifting two trophies during a fan-less campaign. Both fantastic achievements of course but one certainly more sexy than the other from a writers point of view.

Edited by So Make Some Noise..

5 minutes ago, So Make Some Noise.. said:

Yeah fair point, I guess I'm looking at this front the 'football writers' point of view. What sells more headlines, Rangers power shift, unbeaten run ending Celtic's 10 in a row dreams or as you say 'tiny St Johnstone' lifting two trophies during a fan-less campaign. Both fantastic achievements of course but one certainly more sexy than the other from a writers point of view.

Yeah I suppose it makes sense that the Writers would go with that narrative. I dread to think at some of the pathetic excuse for 'writers' that get a vote in that.