Players who will improve next season

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Which players from the season just gone will we see an improvement from next season? Whether that improvement is from playing with better players, playing in front of the fans or just improving their game over the summer.

I'll start with Boyce. Even though he was comfortably our best outfield player this season, he missed a lot of chances that I believe when fully fit, sharp and focussed he won't next season. 

(I look forward to your 'nobody will improve under Neilson' replies)

Think Haring will get back to his best, with better standard of surfaces and more space.

McEneff - again got a feeling he will enjoy the bigger spaces as not a wall of 10 players to play through. Box to box players thrive off counter attacks.

Haring and McEneff the obvious ones. If we play with a back three it will suit Halkett, otherwise he's donald ducked.

May one-six

GMS has shown signs of life in the last couple of games. Hope he keeps it going. Same with Euan Henderson.

Howdy Doody Jambo

I think Euan Henderson will improve and seems to have a good attitude, most of the squad as is are probably at there peak performance capabilities under Neilson anyway 

I bloody well hope all of them!!

Those already mentioned are the obvious ones: McEneff, GMS, Haring, Halks.

I would add Gnando as another obvious one who could kick on if we play to his strengths, is early balls down channels and lots of crosses.

Looks like Irving is away but I'd have added him. Not getting a tune out of his talents is a big failure.

King prawn
20 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Hopefully all improve but the player I'd like to see improve the most is McEneff. 

This. 

Pasquale for King

Apart from those mentioned it’s difficult to see anyone else that will improve, even guys like McEneff might struggle if they’re not allowed to play with the shackles off. 

11 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Well he can’t get any worse 

Unfair imo. He's been terribly unlucky and never managed to get a proper run. He has massive upside to his game and you could see he'd worked on his defending.

If all our players had his attitude, we'd be better off.

Not a world beater or that obvs, but I just don't get the hate the lad gets.

Jim Panzee

hoping that the below improve / kick on:

McEneff

Haring

Soutter

GMS

Gnaduillet

and that Smith fully recovers from Covid 

21 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Apart from those mentioned it’s difficult to see anyone else that will improve, even guys like McEneff might struggle if they’re not allowed to play with the shackles off. 

Oh dear.

Get set for another "Neilson oot" thread.

4 hours ago, blairdin said:

I don't expect value for money as such. I'm a Hearts fans, my expectations of seeing us win stuff are relatively low.

All I want to see is a team that has its own style and philosophy, tries, more often than not, to play positive entertaining football, gives a decent chance to our youth players to establish themselves and not spunk vast amounts of money bringing in mediocre players and journeymen at the expense of our academy.

45 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Brandon

Is actually quite an interesting answer. He certainly showed sigs of improvement and then got injured obv. Don't know if he will get the opportunities tbh.

A_A wehatethehibs
11 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Unfair imo. He's been terribly unlucky and never managed to get a proper run. He has massive upside to his game and you could see he'd worked on his defending.

He has the strength and the pace, good physical attributes. But the boy does not have a footballing brain IMO. I don’t believe he will grow one. I’ve seen no signs at any point of a composed footballer, just a rash tackler who yes is fast and likes to get forward, but his delivery in those forward positions is not good and he is also nervous, never appears fully in control and that makes me nervous. That’s the “hate” the lad gets. The type of full back to basically do nothing but give away a free kicks, penalty’s or booking / red card. 

But fingers crossed for him, he might get the chance next season to try and re-write the script, hope he can turn it around.

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He has the strength and the pace, good physical attributes. But the boy does not have a footballing brain IMO. I don’t believe he will grow one. I’ve seen no signs at any point of a composed footballer, just a rash tackler who yes is fast and likes to get forward, but his delivery in those forward positions is not good and he is also nervous, never appears fully in control and that makes me nervous. That’s the “hate” the lad gets. The type of full back to basically do nothing but give away a free kicks, penalty’s or booking / red card. 

But fingers crossed for him, he might get the chance next season to try and re-write the script, hope he can turn it around.

It might be well into the season though as it was a cruciate knee ligament injury and he wasn’t operated on until late January, he will be lucky to play again this year for the first team. 

45 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

hoping that the below improve / kick on:

McEneff

Haring

Soutter

GMS

Gnaduillet

and that Smith fully recovers from Covid 

Agree with that list. 

I'd add Halkett if he stays and we go with a back three. Certainly much better last season after a horror show first season. 

I hope Haring improves or at least gets back to how he was under Levein a few years back.  As for McEneff it would be impossible for him to get any worse so he should improve.

A_A wehatethehibs
54 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It might be well into the season though as it was a cruciate knee ligament injury and he wasn’t operated on until late January, he will be lucky to play again this year for the first team. 

Such a kick in the teeth as he would’ve had some opportunities this season especially when Smith / Kingsley were out, but that’s football. Time ticks on. Imo, a huge surprise if he’s at Hearts beyond end of next season. Big mountain to climb. But you never know. 

Bazzas right boot

No one, they are all shite, Neilson is shite, Savage is shite. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Shackles 😂😂

The Grim Reaper
7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

No one, they are all shite, Neilson is shite, Savage is shite. 

:greatpost:

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

I hope Haring improves or at least gets back to how he was under Levein a few years back.  As for McEneff it would be impossible for him to get any worse so he should improve.

What's your nickname of McEneff?  McEnept?  Like it?  You get it??  Great eh.

Just now, TheBigO said:

What's your nickname of McEneff?  McEnept?  Like it?  You get it??  Great eh.

Like like like.

No Idle Talk

Craig Halkett - If he's still here and we play a back three I think he will have a better season.

John Souttar - If he stays free of injury he is primed to show what a class act he is.

Stephen Kingsley - Good player. Didn't have his best season this time round so is bound to improve.

Peter Haring - Well capable of being a standout player at Premiership level.

Aaron McEneff - Just keep allowing him to get into the opposition's box and watch him fly.

Andy Irving - Unfortunately his improvement may be enjoyed by another club's supporters.

Josh Ginnelly - Another who needs to stay clear of injuries. If he does he will surprise some people.

Euan Henderson - I'm not saying he will. But he definitely could. The potential is there. Fingers crossed.

Armand Gnanduillet - I think there is more to come from him.

Edited by No Idle Talk

4 hours ago, jamboman9 said:

Nobody will improve under Neilson.👍

Good to see the very first reply is the correct answer. 

Jim Panzee
2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

thought McEneff was good in his first two games - then suffered like the rest of them during that bad spell - but picked up again with the change in formation...

1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

thought McEneff was good in his first two games - then suffered like the rest of them during that bad spell - but picked up again with the change in formation...

Indeed , I mean imagine having a player who gets stuck in and has a dig and goes box to box has energy and a bit of skill. If he continues like that he’ll be a fan favourite. You should know better though that that poster can’t compliment anything though...

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Such a kick in the teeth as he would’ve had some opportunities this season especially when Smith / Kingsley were out, but that’s football. Time ticks on. Imo, a huge surprise if he’s at Hearts beyond end of next season. Big mountain to climb. But you never know. 

Yeah it’s a huge season for him whenever he gets back. 

1 hour ago, No Idle Talk said:

Craig Halkett - If he's still here and we play a back three I think he will have a better season.

John Souttar - If he stays free of injury he is primed to show what a class act he is.

Stephen Kingsley - Good player. Didn't have his best season this time round so is bound to improve.

Peter Haring - Well capable of being a standout player at Premiership level.

Aaron McEneff - Just keep allowing him to get into the opposition's box and watch him fly.

Andy Irving - Unfortunately his improvement may be enjoyed by another club's supporters.

Josh Ginnelly - Another who needs to stay clear of injuries. If he does he will surprise some people.

Euan Henderson - I'm not saying he will. But he definitely could. The potential is there. Fingers crossed.

Armand Gnanduillet - I think there is more to come from him.

Agree with all of that.

Irving is a funny one , never been a huge fan , i think hes incredibly one footed , prohibitively so at times. (Might have been Morton he moved across the pitch and ran it out as couldn’t find a way to get it on his favoured foot - i thought that sums him up at the moment) Defensively he is horrendous and even if playing with protection which we did a lot when he looked better he still gets caught out. He looked better beside Halliday early in the season than I thought he had at any point but it went away long before our season fell off a cliff performance wise. Hes only 21 on Thursday though so plenty time to progress those things. Best served imo doing that with us. 

Jim Panzee
14 minutes ago, sadj said:

Indeed , I mean imagine having a player who gets stuck in and has a dig and goes box to box has energy and a bit of skill. If he continues like that he’ll be a fan favourite. You should know better though that that poster can’t compliment anything though...

in defence of said poster, when McEneff was played in positions other than the box to box CM role he wasn't very effective. 

play him in his proper role - and with Soutter & Haring in the team and we may have 'plucked a diamond' :)

5 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Quite agree. Has a bit of pace and a good attitude. Has had bad luck with injuries and encouragement from fans would help greatly.

31 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

in defence of said poster, when McEneff was played in positions other than the box to box CM role he wasn't very effective. 

play him in his proper role - and with Soutter & Haring in the team and we may have 'plucked a diamond' :)

Agreed but you can’t be selective you have to look at everything and there are more positives to what McEneff has shown than negatives and there is genuine cause for optimism. To ignore that is typical of that poster 

14 minutes ago, sadj said:

Agreed but you can’t be selective you have to look at everything and there are more positives to what McEneff has shown than negatives and there is genuine cause for optimism. To ignore that is typical of that poster 

Remember his vitriol towards Suso. Wonder if he enjoyed the 5-1 game?

Jim Panzee
28 minutes ago, sadj said:

agree - it's the bigger picture for me.

7 hours ago, jamboman9 said:

Nobody will improve under Neilson.👍

Never mind Neilson - what player in the last 5 years have we improved at Hearts apart from Hickey?

41 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Remember his vitriol towards Suso. Wonder if he enjoyed the 5-1 game?

I missed that thankfully 😒

8 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Never mind Neilson - what player in the last 5 years have we improved at Hearts apart from Hickey?

We mostly buy players who are at an age where they are less likely to improve. That’s without getting into the restrictive way certain managers play. 

11 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Hmmm I'll get back to you on that one once I've had a think.

May be a while though.😉

Jambo 4 Ever
9 hours ago, TheBigO said:

This 

I think he could be very good for us next season and eventually take over from Smith 

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

This 

I think he could be very good for us next season and eventually take over from Smith 

Tentatively agree. Make or break time though. Needs to grasp the next opportunity because it’s likely to be his last. 

I’m afraid we don’t employ anyone that can improve our players at the moment. We live in hope that someone with enough guts will act. We need a leader who know what it takes to make Hearts great again. We need an injection of money, a top class Management team and players who can bond and play fast attacking football with strikers & midfielders that can score on a regular basis. 
Our support deserve the world for the way they’ve backed our club and the people who work for our club have to be proud, ambitious and dedicated to Hearts because our fans deserve the best. And this applies 100% to the football team, it’s management, staff including scouts & medical dept.

4 hours ago, jamboman9 said:

Hmmm I'll get back to you on that one once I've had a think.

May be a while though.😉

Time’s up - couldn’t think of one player we have improved eh?

Me neither! 🤷‍♂️

rudi must stay

1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

I’m afraid we don’t employ anyone that can improve our players at the moment. We live in hope that someone with enough guts will act. We need a leader who know what it takes to make Hearts great again. We need an injection of money, a top class Management team and players who can bond and play fast attacking football with strikers & midfielders that can score on a regular basis. 
Our support deserve the world for the way they’ve backed our club and the people who work for our club have to be proud, ambitious and dedicated to Hearts because our fans deserve the best. And this applies 100% to the football team, it’s management, staff including scouts & medical dept.

This is a good and strong post. A few months too late though, Neilson has sussed out our problems and has us winning games again. As for what we deserve, it's a good fan base as in its goes to games can be abit negative though and that feeds into the pitch. I don't think we deserve more to be honest we have also become big times Charlie's after the cup win "oh relegation can't happen to us" it can happen to anybody. Back the team back the players, even the ones you don't rate and success will follow 

Fort Vallance

With the obvious exception of Gordon, I'd like to think that any of the keepers on the books will progress. Maybe the goalkeeping coach position needs reviewed for that to happen though.

4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Time’s up - couldn’t think of one player we have improved eh?

Me neither! 🤷‍♂️

😂 It's a worry.🤦

Wishful thinking but I'd love to see Souttar develop into Hearts and Scotland's captain before earning us a £25,000,000 transfer fee.