New dug

Unknown user

Sooperstar
41 minutes ago, speaker said:

Quality thread. 

Me and the Mrs have been accepted to get a pooch from Hungary. Rescue street dog so sounds similar to some on here. Anyone got any tips for a rescue from abroad? First time dog owners so we are slightly nervous but at the same time looking forward to the life style change. 

Any advice greatly appreciated 👍

Probably goes without saying but learning to speak fluent Hungarian is of course a must.

Auld Reekin'
7 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Probably goes without saying but learning to speak fluent Hungarian is of course a must.

That, and learning how to make a decent goulash as this is no-doubt what it's used to eating.  :thumbsup:

Konrad von Carstein
2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

:lol:

Konrad von Carstein

Our monster  has decided that he will not be dried off in the vestibule on his return from a walk.

The little shit was a baw hair away from biting me on the chin this afternoon... He is still quite "mouthy" especially when tired, but the (not quite) snapping and low level growl was unexpected.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Our monster  has decided that he will not be dried off in the vestibule on his return from a walk.

The little shit was a baw hair away from biting me on the chin this afternoon... He is still quite "mouthy" especially when tired, but the (not quite) snapping and low level growl was unexpected.

Not wee Ziggy? Surely not?

We picked this wee man up yesterday at a re-home day locally here. He's a Retriever/ Lab mix of about a year old or so. He's a timid little thing but slowly getting used to a routine. He was a stray and was rescued from the pound by a pet sanctuary - next step was euthanasia. 

He's called Weller after my music hero. KTF

Weller .jpg

Dagger Is Back
6 hours ago, Pagey said:

We picked this wee man up yesterday at a re-home day locally here. He's a Retriever/ Lab mix of about a year old or so. He's a timid little thing but slowly getting used to a routine. He was a stray and was rescued from the pound by a pet sanctuary - next step was euthanasia. 

Weller .jpg

👏 he’s a handsome wee chap.

On 09/05/2021 at 16:05, Smithee said:

Been wanting one for years but my ex hates them so I've had to wait till now.

I'd planned to rescue a greyhound but then I mentioned it to my mum. Within an hour I got a call from a woman in Bulgaria asking if I want a rescue puppy and sending photos - old lady jungle drums beat hard and fast!

Anyway, I couldn't say no so wee Minky will be here in a few weeks.

Show your dugs lads, in the meantime meet Minky

received_302115454648973.jpeg

Hello Minky!

Here's Bertie. 8 yrs young.  

B.jpg

7 hours ago, Pagey said:

Weller .jpg

Look at his wee face!! 

What a wonderful thread. 

A couple of friends have picked up Eastern European rescue dogs in the last year. What’s interesting is that neither of them look like dogs you see over here. One from Romania that looks like a wee squat Doberman and a Hungarian sheepdog cross thing that’s a lovely looking dog. 

Auld Reekin'
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

A couple of friends have picked up Eastern European rescue dogs in the last year. What’s interesting is that neither of them look like dogs you see over here. One from Romania that looks like a wee squat Doberman and a Hungarian sheepdog cross thing that’s a lovely looking dog. 

And some of their farm animals look quite strange too:

The mangalitsa pig, is a rare woolly breed from Hungary. It looks like a  sheep and acts like a dog. : Damnthatsinteresting

A Hungarian Mangalitsa pig. The advantage with this particular hairy and intelligent beast is that if it persists on crapping on your antique Persian rug you can make bacon and chops from it. :icon14:

Unknown user
5 hours ago, Boris said:

Hello Minky!

Here's Bertie. 8 yrs young.  

B.jpg

He looks like a good boy

Unknown user
12 hours ago, Pagey said:

Weller .jpg

Great stuff he looks like a smasher

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

He looks like a good boy

Ha!  In general he is, but he can be a wee shite at times!  That said, wouldn't change him!

• 3 weeks later...
Unknown user

The whole litter got sick, turns out they've all got covid, I didn't even know dogs could get it!

They're all nearly better now but their rabies shots have been delayed so it'll be a few weeks before she can travel yet.

Sadly, a friend had to have their black lab put down today, poor old thing was just in constant pain. The photos from his last walk are so sad, poor beast.

Sultan Of Gorgie

Loved looking through everyone's pictures of their companions. I had to put down my McKenzie about 6 years ago. I bought him on a snowy winters morning from a farm in the sticks. He was the grandson of my previous dog. Said previous dog was the son of my other dog. So I had three generations. They were all cracking Golden Retrievers. 

Before then I had a German Shepherd. 

An old school pal of mine 4 years ago had a monster cat who had been bumped by some big rough super sized cat from the street, more panther than regular house cat to be honest. So the litter was massive. I was allowed to pick 2 free of charge. So I picked the biggest, who was a direct carbon copy of his father and I picked the runt of the litter, his little sister. Couldn't be happier, they have loads of character and got me through lockdown. 

However, I am a dog person and over the last 2 years I have strongly wanted a companion with me on my 4 mile walk every morning. 

At first I thought of a Gordon Setter, then for some reason a Beagle but lately, I find myself settling on the idea of a black and tan cocker spaniel. 

I heard the government encouraged people to get cocker spaniels during/after world war 2, could never find out why. But I think my mind is made. A steady little gun dog to accompany me on my walks is exactly what is needed. 

Anyways, mate. 

3 tips, for what they're worth. 

1,Never raise your voice at your dog. Lead with a quiet voice and use your eyes to communicate, sounds weird but dogs read people very well. 

2,Always, strive to be consistent. Dogs love routine and structure, making the rules up as you go along will just create a total shit head who will throw you a deafy everytime. 

3, Give him a job. They are pack animals, they need a place and a role. People think I'm daft when I say this but it's true. carrying something during a walk. Collecting slippers or the mail, something. Make it their job and they'll do it with pride. 

Don't forget to reward them for it. Make sure they get loads of exercise and good quality food. Try give them a solid meal once a week as a treat. 

Other than that, have fun, enjoy it. 

I'm jealous of all you dog owners. 

Edited by Sultan Of Gorgie

On 11/05/2021 at 01:17, Pagey said:

Weller .jpg

3BAF5E57-513A-4883-BA28-D146B941608C.thumb.jpeg.dc84b5a76c53f61e9c6219a5134557df.jpeg

Each to their own

A Boy Named Crow
On 10/05/2021 at 03:30, Lord BJ said:

image.thumb.jpeg.ea11d826d3c7a24735d39fd1aeaa2a92.jpegOur dog, spying food on dining table. 

It’s not really a dog, it’s a pet that thinks it’s human due to the way, the wife in particular treats, it. 

I know exactly what you mean.  This is not a dug, keeps the wife happy though!

IMG-20210525-WA0009.jpg

Hello all,

This is Rudi(8)and Lexi (5).

These two wonderful dogs certainly helped me through lockdown, and I emerged semi sane on the other side.

Lexi can be a wee bugger but very loveable.

Rudi is a sound guy, much like his namesake 😍

PHOTO-2021-03-31-10-27-49.thumb.jpg.95affd63a13e518c5bd52b49632a497f.jpg

• 1 month later...
Unknown user

Minky arrived 9 days ago, completely traumatised by whatever the transporters did, all 4 dogs were the same unfortunately.

But with a bit of TLC she's gone from this

vHpYoaD_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

To this

eKsJMw4_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Lovely dug!

A Boy Named Crow
On 10/05/2021 at 22:20, Smithee said:

Seems a good place to ask.

Allowed on the furniture, yay or nay?

The dug's lucky she's allowed to live indoors, the floor is all she's getting (earlier pic was from someone else's house, they've been rebuked for teaching her bad habits).

Some folk actually have their dug sleep in the same bed as them. I can only assume they don't see what they roll in at the park...

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

That second picture is a cracker. Seems like she’s fully settled in,  as she’s comfortable sleeping on her back and exposing her belly. 

Enjoy😃

Yeah she's happy, it's great to watch her come out of herself and grow massively in confidence. Not quite there with the toilet yet but it's been 9 days, she gets a pass, she'd never been in a house before to be fair

The Old Tolbooth
On 10/05/2021 at 13:20, Smithee said:

Seems a good place to ask.

Allowed on the furniture, yay or nay?

Absolutely mate, they're part of your family and I strongly believe that they should be allowed to use the same things as you, apart from your toothbrush :lol: 

This is our wee Bear in March when we got him 

May be an image of dog and indoor

And this is the wee rocket now on his cool mat at the weekend, he keeps us on our toes for sure :lol: 

Auld Reekin'
46 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

The dug's lucky she's allowed to live indoors, the floor is all she's getting (earlier pic was from someone else's house, they've been rebuked for teaching her bad habits).

Some folk actually have their dug sleep in the same bed as them. I can only assume they don't see what they roll in at the park...

...Or have never had to dig a tick out of their own skin. Yep, fine, your dog has an anti-tick collar, or is given anti-tick medication, but that doesn't stop the horrible little bugs from attaching themselves to the dog then dropping off them and onto you, or your furniture, when they discover the taste of Rex isn't to their liking.

Unknown user
30 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

...Or have never had to dig a tick out of their own skin. Yep, fine, your dog has an anti-tick collar, or is given anti-tick medication, but that doesn't stop the horrible little bugs from attaching themselves to the dog then dropping off them and onto you, or your furniture, when they discover the taste of Rex isn't to their liking.

I get that but the die is cast, she can go on the furniture, she's part of the family, and I'll just have to deal with any down side that throws up. It's a joy having her on my knee on the couch, I wouldn't change it.

Unknown user
54 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Absolutely mate, they're part of your family and I strongly believe that they should be allowed to use the same things as you, apart from your toothbrush :lol: 

This is our wee Bear in March when we got him 

And this is the wee rocket now on his cool mat at the weekend, he keeps us on our toes for sure :lol: 

That's a nice looking thing, not surprised he's needing cooling

Auld Reekin'
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I get that but the die is cast, she can go on the furniture, she's part of the family, and I'll just have to deal with any down side that throws up. It's a joy having her on my knee on the couch, I wouldn't change it.

:) 

Good luck with the toilet-training - hope she gets there soon! :icon14:

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

:) 

Good luck with the toilet-training - hope she gets there soon! :icon14:

Cheers, she's doing great, totally gets it, but still just the odd slip up. Won't be long

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

Minky arrived 9 days ago, completely traumatised by whatever the transporters did, all 4 dogs were the same unfortunately.

But with a bit of TLC she's gone from this

vHpYoaD_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

To this

eKsJMw4_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Lovely dug!

Some turn around in 9 days mate, outstanding... lucky girl!

Our wee one is on the furniture and bed, don't like the sound of digging out a tick from my own skin though! 

They do change your life for the better... big time.

Great advice from the Sultan further up the thread for anyone thinking of getting a dog, agree with everything you say mate.

IMG-20200207-WA0001.jpg

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, marcus said:

Some turn around in 9 days mate, outstanding... lucky girl!

Our wee one is on the furniture and bed, don't like the sound of digging out a tick from my own skin though! 

They do change your life for the better... big time.

Great advice from the Sultan further up the thread for anyone thinking of getting a dog, agree with everything you say mate.

IMG-20200207-WA0001.jpg

I've been lucky, she's a smashing dog and I had a few days off when she arrived. Plus I work from home so I've got all the time in the world to give her. She'll have spent less than an hour on her own since she arrived and that's with nipping into shops

• 1 month later...
On 09/05/2021 at 16:05, Smithee said:

received_302115454648973.jpeg

Minky as a puppy

received_302115454648973.thumb.jpeg.50b12e9875c9c1ae2f340ec0a743d288.jpeg

Lady Minkovic now, 6 months old, 18kg, energy of a terrier, legs of a whippet.

Small to medium they said...

xJaCwRC_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Still, best dog in the world!

Edited by Smithee