Tynecastle Bar

DB-14

1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

Especially for 15.75

:rofl: actually thought it was apple juice when the guy first brought it over.

Just now, Newton51 said:

Looks more like after you’ve drunk pints! Was it flat? 

Wasn’t great. Certainly glad it wasn’t my first pint after lockdown. 

Yeah you really need a glass pint or at least a tumbler! Not a bloody juice carton

Though not as disappointing as the guy in pub with first drink after lockdown and was a bloody bottle of corona

heartsfc_fan

Jesus.

Under £4 a pint is not bad but in a milk bottle? 😂

Having said that used to get pitchers years ago when out with friends and they are open "jugs" and it quickly went flat half way down.

22 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Why go anywhere else when you get a pitcher of Moretti served in a milk carton?

6F7087F4-3278-45C4-8088-C4574A6F1EC5.jpeg

:nojustno:

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

What a nonsense, there’s nothing stopping them serving you pints in glasses, every other pub you sit outside at will. 
We were using 4 pint cartons (2,272l), that looks like 2 litres which is 3.5 pints so that’s £4.50 a pint. 

The Gorgie
5 hours ago, Alex said:

I'm not really fussed about the price or how flat it is, but a green cap? Really?

Well it is run by a hibby :whistling:

6 hours ago, Alex said:

I'm not really fussed about the price or how flat it is, but a green cap? Really?

Must be a semi skimmed pint!

9 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Jesus.

Under £4 a pint is not bad but in a milk bottle? 😂

Having said that used to get pitchers years ago when out with friends and they are open "jugs" and it quickly went flat half way down.

Yep!

Pitchers of beer sound great - but turn to sh*t in no time.

I always liked the thought of a steak sandwich. But if anyone can tell me how you take a bite out of a steak sandwich (without swapping teeth with a shark), then please let me know.

A pitcher of beer and a steak sandwich ... talk about an anti-climax! 🙂

Midloth_Iain
6 hours ago, Alex said:

semi-skimmed Moretti ...

highlandjambo3
17 minutes ago, MCW1976 said:

Yep!

I always liked the thought of a steak sandwich. But if anyone can tell me how you take a bite out of a steak sandwich (without swapping teeth with a shark), then please let me know.

The steak is sliced thin…….simples

highlandjambo3
19 minutes ago, MCW1976 said:

Yep!

Try slicing steak thin with sliced onions….bung it all in a wee bag………..olive oil….pepper…..wee dash of chilli powder, smoked paprika, garlic….tie up the bag….shake it about and bung in the fridge for a few hours……dry fry it in a pan (no oil) and bung it all in a baguette…….you’ll never look back lol

32 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Try slicing steak thin with sliced onions….bung it all in a wee bag………..olive oil….pepper…..wee dash of chilli powder, smoked paprika, garlic….tie up the bag….shake it about and bung in the fridge for a few hours……dry fry it in a pan (no oil) and bung it all in a baguette…….you’ll never look back lol

Good man!

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

"Das ist lecker" as they say in Germany.

👍

Didn't know that, lekker in dutch

schillaci
28 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Would that work with turkey twizzlers? 

That's how twizzlers are actually made. True story.

Don't believe the conspiracy theorists about filler, offal, toe nails etc. Just made high quality ingredients, and lots of love.

TyphoonJambo
2 hours ago, Newton51 said:

This looks interesting 

My local in Madrid done these with Mahou for 10 euros,and it came with a plate load of tapas to share. It wasn't in the most affluent part of the city but the locals were great and you always ended up talking them out of more free food. Every round something else turned up. I think we offended them one day by saying "please,no more food,we just want a drink" so, he gave us a huge gin and tonic instead. 

54 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Serious question. Why buy a pitcher when you can get individual pints? 🤷‍♂️

To be fair when we arrived the menu we were given only had pitchers listed and as we were both wanting Moretti it seemed the best option. I wasn’t to know it was going to come looking at that. :rofl: 

Koolkeith
1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

My local in Madrid done these with Mahou for 10 euros,and it came with a plate load of tapas to share. It wasn't in the most affluent part of the city but the locals were great and you always ended up talking them out of more free food. Every round something else turned up. I think we offended them one day by saying "please,no more food,we just want a drink" so, he gave us a huge gin and tonic instead. 

This place sounds great. Whats the name? I’m away there next year for a long weekend. 

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, Koolkeith said:

This place sounds great. Whats the name? I’m away there next year for a long weekend. 

It's called Chris's bar but believe me mate it's not the kind of place you want to spend holiday time in. Madrid is a fantastic city and the entire city centre is a maze of cafes,bars and restaurants.  Stay of plaza major or Sol and you'll find plenty places similar. 

We lived there for 3 years,last RAF posting,loved it. Enjoy your weekend.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

To be fair when we arrived the menu we were given only had pitchers listed and as we were both wanting Moretti it seemed the best option. I wasn’t to know it was going to come looking at that. :rofl: 

Regardless of what they use for a pitcher I find it usually gets flat but even then a milk bottle isn’t a great look. 😄

highlandjambo3
4 hours ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Would that work with turkey twizzlers? 

You’ve taken this to far now

Rick James
4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

"Das ist lecker" as they say in Germany.

👍

Ja Jonno, ich finde das auch lecker! Eure Deutsch is sehr gut.

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Didn't know that, lekker in dutch

Learned a bit of Dutch during the first lockdown. As someone who speaks a bit of German, it was a pure mind****. :lol:

So many similar words, but the spellings tend to be different obviously, and it's a nightmare trying to remember. Find myself typing in a *******ised version of both languages sometimes.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Locky said:

Ja Jonno, ich finde das auch lecker! Eure Deutsch is sehr gut.

Learned a bit of Dutch during the first lockdown. As someone who speaks a bit of German, it was a pure mind****. :lol:

So many similar words, but the spellings tend to be different obviously, and it's a nightmare trying to remember. Find myself typing in a *******ised version of both languages sometimes.

Yeah when I was getting Dutch lessons over there, there was a lassie in there who'd already learned German, she really struggled to override what she knew with something so similar.

The German you typed is clear as day by the way although I couldn't write it. It's fascinating how close the two are.

Rick James
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Yeah when I was getting Dutch lessons over there, there was a lassie in there who'd already learned German, she really struggled to override what she knew with something so similar.

The German you typed is clear as day by the way although I couldn't write it. It's fascinating how close the two are.

I did a bit of research to see how mutually intelligible they were and not at all was the consensus, but like you say, it's crazy how similar they are. Reading Dutch seems fairly straightforward, but talking and listening is a nightmare. I love hearing the Dutch language but it sounds like someone having a coughing fit. :lol: 

Seymour M Hersh
On 07/05/2021 at 22:12, SteauaNeedarest said:

Were the toilets out of action? 

Koolkeith
22 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

It's called Chris's bar but believe me mate it's not the kind of place you want to spend holiday time in. Madrid is a fantastic city and the entire city centre is a maze of cafes,bars and restaurants.  Stay of plaza major or Sol and you'll find plenty places similar. 

We lived there for 3 years,last RAF posting,loved it. Enjoy your weekend.

Cheers

Holyrood_Hearts

What’s the seating area like? Is it undercover?

Doctor FinnBarr
On 08/05/2021 at 13:45, Locky said:

I did a bit of research to see how mutually intelligible they were and not at all was the consensus, but like you say, it's crazy how similar they are. Reading Dutch seems fairly straightforward, but talking and listening is a nightmare. I love hearing the Dutch language but it sounds like someone having a coughing fit. :lol: 

You should try Flemish, it's just Dutch really but with more hacking and spitting.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

You should try Flemish, it's just Dutch really but with more hacking and spitting.

:laugh2: very good

Jambo-Fox
12 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Were the toilets out of action? 

😂 BYO-URINAL 😉 

12 hours ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

What’s the seating area like? Is it undercover?

Good to be fair yes it’s all under cover.

portobellojambo1
On 08/05/2021 at 08:33, Lfhearts said:

That's me not going there then pints in a milk carton ffs.

Pints were and are available in the outside bar, it was when people started asking for pitchers of beer that the bar staff had to try and use alternative vessels to hold it. The service was decent enough the day I was in, last Saturday, and there didn't really seem to be any need for people to order beer in pitchers, but just buy and reorder pints as and when they were needed.

Rick James
16 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Funny you mention that because I watched a video on YouTube of a guy speaking Flemish and I heard quite a few German sounding words in that. 

I remember the draught packs you got from pubs in the 70s used to get from the Williemuir West Granton when you opened them they where flat with in half an hour 

davemclaren
15 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Pints were and are available in the outside bar, it was when people started asking for pitchers of beer that the bar staff had to try and use alternative vessels to hold it. The service was decent enough the day I was in, last Saturday, and there didn't really seem to be any need for people to order beer in pitchers, but just buy and reorder pints as and when they were needed.

Good to hear re the pints. I assume the outside seating is under the Gorgie Stand walkway bit?

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Good to hear re the pints. I assume the outside seating is under the Gorgie Stand walkway bit?

Yeah, just under there as if you were going in to the Gorgie suite.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Yeah, just under there as if you were going in to the Gorgie suite.

Cheers. 👍

portobellojambo1
8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

It is dave. You go in to the actual bar to present your ticket, sign in and receive your drinks voucher, and they also take your temperature. You are then directed through the side door to the seating area.

It was good to meet up with friends I travel with after many months, but there is nothing we can do about the present weather, it was a bit chilly sitting  outside, but the drink made up for that.

the general
On 11/05/2021 at 00:27, portobellojambo1 said:

It is dave. You go in to the actual bar to present your ticket, sign in and receive your drinks voucher, and they also take your temperature. You are then directed through the side door to the seating area.

It was good to meet up with friends I travel with after many months, but there is nothing we can do about the present weather, it was a bit chilly sitting  outside, but the drink made up for that.

Went today for Chelsea v Leicester

Great service staff really friendly 4 quid for Amstel 

It's not really outdoors as such loads of cover

They said there were a few no shows so they were disappointed they had turned a few away

Only slight downer was plastic pots

heartsfc_fan
57 minutes ago, the general said:

Went today for Chelsea v Leicester

Great service staff really friendly 4 quid for Amstel 

It's not really outdoors as such loads of cover

They said there were a few no shows so they were disappointed they had turned a few away

Only slight downer was plastic pots

Could you watch the football on the TV whilst sitting outside?