• FWJ

• neilnunb

• Locky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain Slog
3 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I had a listen to the Ukrainian entry.

It's - and I can't stress this enough - completely ****ing shite.

I also listened to the original winner that was thrown out and replaced on political grounds.

It is also - and I can't stress this enough - completely ****ing shite.

I completely agree.

However. their 2021 entry was awesome.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ukraine+2021+eurovision&view=detail&mid=DB437591B19DC1DCF789DB437591B19DC1DCF789&FORM=VIRE

Edited by Captain Slog

39 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

I liked the Terry Wigan commentary back in the day🤣

“Who knows what hellish future lies ahead? … Actually, I do. I’ve seen the rehearsals”  :laugh:

Jambo_jim2001
5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

“Who knows what hellish future lies ahead? … Actually, I do. I’ve seen the rehearsals”  :laugh:

The blarney at its best 🤣🤣🤣

7 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Hosting it in Lviv, Ukraine next year (as opposed to Kharkiv, Democratic Free People's Republic of Ukraine).

The West will give a bit of Poland to Ukraine, you know how we like to give things to people without the inhabitants permission. 👍. So it'll be in Poland.

6 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

I liked the Terry Wigan commentary back in the day🤣

Typo or recognition of Terry's several syrups?

14 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

They were 10/1 a three weeks ago, they're now 6/4 favourites, I reckon everyone will vote for them whether their song is shit or not as a statement. 

Maybe we should have let the Russians compete and broadcast in Russia.

All nations dress in blue and yellow  finish their song with 'Go Ukraine' or whatever.

Ukraine win, Russia come 2nd last.

Edited by DETTY29

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, graygo said:

Too camp for you?

No it’s just dire . Nothing is too camp for me really 

0186A9F6-A1B9-4402-8785-F446248AFEBB.gif

D9E2135B-1D39-4BFD-BEF1-3F9F41BDEE24.jpeg

Jambo_jim2001
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

68fqdj.jpg

No wonder I never caught anything on last trip..."come to Ireland,six feet of water and six feet of fish!". All I got was the six feet of water👍😁

10 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

No wonder I never caught anything on last trip..."come to Ireland,six feet of water and six feet of fish!". All I got was the six feet of water👍😁

:laugh:

51 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No it’s just dire . Nothing is too camp for me really 

0186A9F6-A1B9-4402-8785-F446248AFEBB.gif

D9E2135B-1D39-4BFD-BEF1-3F9F41BDEE24.jpeg

Can't say I've ever enjoyed it either, well except one time when I was in Vilnius. They go mental for it and have huge outdoor screens and pop up bars, enjoyed it that night 

The Old Tolbooth
On 11/03/2022 at 16:55, ri Alban said:

Definitely. The UK might get some points, for a change. :D

You've taken that too far :lol: 

The Old Tolbooth
On 12/03/2022 at 07:33, DETTY29 said:

Maybe we should have let the Russians compete and broadcast in Russia.

All nations dress in blue and yellow  finish their song with 'Go Ukraine' or whatever.

Ukraine win, Russia come 2nd last.

The Russian media would tell them they've won it! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched a video with all the songs in there. UK isn't actually that bad this year I'd say. Latvia, Norway and Moldova going pretty strong with the cheese effect. Can see Ukraine growing on me, but on first listen, I'd say I'm probably going for Czech Republic as a personal favourite this year.

Looks like a decent line-up this year.

A decent mix of pop, eurodance bangers, acoustic folk, power ballads and even some rockier stuff.

No absolute stand outs or instant classics, but it'll be a decent show.

Semis might even be worth catching.

A couple of nice looking bursd too.

Japan Jambo

Without even hearing the songs I'd be lumping it on Ukraine - it's not as if the music has anything to do with a lot of the voting anyway.

13 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Without even hearing the songs I'd be lumping it on Ukraine - it's not as if the music has anything to do with a lot of the voting anyway.

Just the UK's luck to send their best song in a generation and for everyone to give a sympathy vote to Ukraine instead.  I'll be betting on Ukraine but based on what I've heard so far I'll be phoning in my vote for the UK, not gonna lie.

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

You can't vote for the UK if you live in the UK.

That's probably Eurovision's best-known fact.

So far, my voting order would be:

UK

Poland

Netherlands

Norway

Switzerland

1 minute ago, FWJ said:

France should have won last year.  Amazing to think it’s 45 years since they last won it.

Indeed.

Just now, FWJ said:

It’s not all bells & whistles and hamster wheels.  A mic and a spotlight.  Classic.

And so very, very French. Fantastic song.

Niamh Kavanagh was a great vocal performance too (although she won!)

I suppose the one that really should have won and has outlived most of the rest is Nel Blu di Pinto di Blu.

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

It’s not all bells & whistles and hamster wheels.  A mic and a spotlight.  Classic.

Speaking as someone who does lighting for a living it is very classic, but there are a couple of twists. And a lovely projection effect from above her that’s only for the cameras. Lovely though. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Speaking as someone who does lighting for a living it is very classic, but there are a couple of twists. And a lovely projection effect from above her that’s only for the cameras. Lovely though. 

Never mind all that, these COB LEDs you mentioned earlier would be better for horticultural chaps than SMD right?

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Never mind all that, these COB LEDs you mentioned earlier would be better for horticultural chaps than SMD right?

Both have advantages. COB are very efficient and give a true white as opposed to white made from RGB so you get better colour temperature control. But like all LED lights there are a lot of badly made ones out there. If they are a really good cheap price don’t expect them to last, but that the same with SMD lights. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Both have advantages. COB are very efficient and give a true white as opposed to white made from RGB so you get better colour temperature control. But like all LED lights there are a lot of badly made ones out there. If they are a really good cheap price don’t expect them to last, but that the same with SMD lights. 

I've been looking at COB, they don't even require active cooling in the context I'm looking at, very attractive indeed for running costs. To think I used to run HPS with a 600w ballast plus all the extraction that heat demanded in my spare room only 7 or 8 years ago.

We live in wonderful times!

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I've been looking at COB, they don't even require active cooling in the context I'm looking at, very attractive indeed for running costs. To think I used to run HPS with a 600w ballast plus all the extraction that heat demanded in my spare room only 7 or 8 years ago.

We live in wonderful times!

In my work LED lights have gone from useless to essential in the matter of a few years. Sadly the expense on them is still high for good ones. I can buy RGB COB lighting instruments for £300 now that outperform ones that were £1000 a couple of years ago. 

2 hours ago, FWJ said:

I suppose the one that really should have won and has outlived most of the rest is Nel Blu di Pinto di Blu.

Indeed, although Ring, Ring by ABBA is often forgotten about.  They entered the song in the 1973 contest, the year before they won with Waterloo.  It finished third in the Swedish national contest, but then it went on to sell quite a few copies.

jambostuart
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

In my work LED lights have gone from useless to essential in the matter of a few years. Sadly the expense on them is still high for good ones. I can buy RGB COB lighting instruments for £300 now that outperform ones that were £1000 a couple of years ago. 

I miss the days of climbing ladders to put Rosco gels on lights :( 

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

I did notice what seemed like a couple of back-lights.  Is that what a ‘Super Trouper’ is?

9 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I did notice what seemed like a couple of back-lights.  Is that what a ‘Super Trouper’ is?

A Souper trouper is a follow spot for stadium and arena sized shows. The lights used in this are modern moving lights most probably very top end LED units. There were two very obvious ones used, one from the side coming from stage right and the one behind her. Both lights had effects used to give the appearance of multiple beams. The overhead effect that looks like a bright white light is actually a projector with an animated sequence of the bit where her shadow breaks apart into lots of birds. It’s all very tasteful compared to most concert lighting. 
Every year the technical information for Eurovision is published in the trade press and it’s mind boggling the size of it. 

29 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A Souper trouper is a follow spot for stadium and arena sized shows. The lights used in this are modern moving lights most probably very top end LED units. There were two very obvious ones used, one from the side coming from stage right and the one behind her. Both lights had effects used to give the appearance of multiple beams. The overhead effect that looks like a bright white light is actually a projector with an animated sequence of the bit where her shadow breaks apart into lots of birds. It’s all very tasteful compared to most concert lighting. 
Every year the technical information for Eurovision is published in the trade press and it’s mind boggling the size of it. 

Cheers for that.

For all its faults it is (usually) a great show.