• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Nookie Bear

• Footballfirst

• LarrysRightFoot

Memory might be playing tricks with me but did Hearts Colts not play in the East of Scotland league late 60's early 70's?

Preston Jambo
3 hours ago, Lido said:

Memory might be playing tricks with me but did Hearts Colts not play in the East of Scotland league late 60's early 70's?

Yes and Hibs Colts and Berwick Rangers Reserves at some point.

Hugh Phamism
Pinned Tweet
LOWLAND LEAGUE B TEAM PROPOSAL: The league member clubs have voted in favour of the proposal, carried out by private ballot after tonight's meeting. Bo'ness United FC voted against the proposal after consideration of the facts available to us.

Nookie Bear

I still do not understand why this was not presented to the rest of the league for a vote.

One side effect of the events of last summer is that the clubs now know there is zero point in trying to stand up to the old firm so you may as well bend over and take it.

I don't really have a problem with it, if it gets too crazy for the Lowland teams they will protest against it. But if only Celtic and Rangers have these privileges, it's once again a competitive advantage. How those in charge (Lowland, SPFL and OF) don't see this is beyond me...

Nookie Bear
55 minutes ago, EmmaG said:

I don't really have a problem with it, if it gets too crazy for the Lowland teams they will protest against it. But if only Celtic and Rangers have these privileges, it's once again a competitive advantage. How those in charge (Lowland, SPFL and OF) don't see this is beyond me...

So you do have a problem with it 🤷‍♀️

(And welcome!)

Tasavallan
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I still do not understand why this was not presented to the rest of the league for a vote.

One side effect of the events of last summer is that the clubs now know there is zero point in trying to stand up to the old firm so you may as well bend over and take it.

The insertion into League 2 was rejected last season by the 42.  The insertion into the SLFL this season was apparently voted on by the lowland league teams and accepted provided it did not impact the pyramid promotions/relegations.  Comment was that no other Premiership team was interested.  My understanding was that EoSFL, SoSFL & WoSFL teams all had concerns.

I still do not understand why this is proposed for ONE Season only.

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

The insertion into League 2 was rejected last season by the 42.  The insertion into the SLFL this season was apparently voted on by the lowland league teams and accepted provided it did not impact the pyramid promotions/relegations.  Comment was that no other Premiership team was interested.  My understanding was that EoSFL, SoSFL & WoSFL teams all had concerns.

Got it, cheers.

15 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

One season only is a conduit for something.

Be sure of that.

4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Just noting the other comments, Rangers and Celtic wanted to get into League 2 next season. An SPFL working group (remember them?) was set up this year led by Stewart Robertson of Rangers. But it hasn't been taken forward because of a lack of support by SPFL clubs. 

Presumably they want to show the great benefits of Rangers and Celtic Colts to change minds. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

One season only is a conduit for something.

Be sure of that.

Exactly

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

So you do have a problem with it 🤷‍♀️

(And welcome!)

Maybe you're right. :P

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just noting the other comments, Rangers and Celtic wanted to get into League 2 next season. An SPFL working group (remember them?) was set up this year led by Stewart Robertson of Rangers. But it hasn't been taken forward because of a lack of support by SPFL clubs. 

Presumably they want to show the great benefits of Rangers and Celtic Colts to change minds. 

Is that because Colts in the Teacake cup didnt prove that the benefit is you will get 1000s of OF fans attending their colt games like they promised

• 2 weeks later...
Footballfirst

The Lowland League AGM last night confirmed that the OF B teams plan will go ahead for next season.

http://slfl.co.uk/rangers-and-celtic-b-admitted-into-lowland-league/

The Scottish Lowland Football League can confirm that the majority of member clubs have voted in favour of admitting Rangers and Celtic ‘B’ teams into the league next season – for one year only.

The decision was confirmed at our AGM tonight.

Earlier this month all member clubs took part in a discussion with representatives from both Celtic and Rangers before an indicative vote.

League chairperson, George Fraser, said: “The member clubs have voted in favour of this proposal that was put to them earlier this month.

“Whilst it wasn’t unanimous the majority of member clubs are in favour of it and ultimately the members made the decision, which is only right in a democracy.

“Our Board will now get to work on moving forward with plans to get the new season started on July 17.”

Nookie Bear

See how we will be fan owned etc...is this not an area where we can put substantial pressure on the board to intervene and ask some questions?

Why are we not involved?

Why are SPL clubs not asked or allowed to vote on this as it affects us?

What is agreed for one year from now etc?

BackOfTheNet

As someone who has followed various leagues around Europe with varying levels of interest over the years I honestly don’t see the big deal here. Happens in most leagues, not just your Barca’s and Madrid’s but there was even a story yesterday about the latest call up to Scotland’s U21 squad playing for Bilbao’s B team. (Pretty sure ex-Real Madrid youngster Jack Harper signed for Villareal B too) The rules usually mean the B team can’t be in the same league or above their A team, so if Bilbao B finished top of LaLiga 2 they wouldn’t get promoted. And if Bilbao got relegated to LaLiga2 and their B team were in that division the B team would be relegated another division down. The aim is to provide local youngsters a league and platform to play without uprooting. Scotland isn’t the biggest of countries but maybe a talented 17 year old doesn’t want to sign for a Highland league side on loan if they live in Glasgow. (Sure I read one of the reasons Doig signed for Hibs was because he couldn’t drive for crying out loud)

You could say that this only favours two teams, but there’s nothing to stop every other team entering teams in lower divisions too. Difference is we might send 2 or 4 players out to that level whereas those two send 15-20 out. But it’s something that could be established in the future I’d imagine. As I say, having seen it throughout Europe and it not just being for one or two teams in the country in theory I have zero issue with it. However as always how things get implemented in Scotland is always the key, so it needs to be monitored closely.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Footballfirst
15 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

As someone who has followed various leagues around Europe with varying levels of interest over the years I honestly don’t see the big deal here. Happens in most leagues, not just your Barca’s and Madrid’s but there was even a story yesterday about the latest call up to Scotland’s U21 squad playing for Bilbao’s B team. (Pretty sure ex-Real Madrid youngster Jack Harper signed for Villareal B too) The rules usually mean the B team can’t be in the same league or above their A team, so if Bilbao B finished top of LaLiga 2 they wouldn’t get promoted. And if Bilbao got relegated to LaLiga2 and their B team were in that division the B team would be relegated another division down. The aim is to provide local youngsters a league and platform to play without uprooting. Scotland isn’t the biggest of countries but maybe a talented 17 year old doesn’t want to sign for a Highland league side on loan if they live in Glasgow. (Sure I read one of the reasons Doig signed for Hibs was because he couldn’t drive for crying out loud)

You could say that this only favours two teams, but there’s nothing to stop every other team entering teams in lower divisions too. Difference is we might send 2 or 4 players out to that level whereas those two send 15-20 out. But it’s something that could be established in the future I’d imagine. As I say, having seen it throughout Europe and it not just being for one or two teams in the country in theory I have zero issue with it. However as always how things get implemented in Scotland is always the key, so it needs to be monitored closely.

The bigger issue is that the B team plan had already been rejected by the SPFL L1/L2 clubs.  I don't think anyone would object if they applied for entry to the bottom of the pyramid (currently tier 7).  We are led to believe that the Lowland League (tier 5) made the approach to the OF, who gladly agreed to pay £25k each for the privilege of skipping a couple of tiers, apparently in a "one year" arrangement.

The Lowland League president George Fraser was prominent and vocal in his support for "sporting integrity", both a year ago and when declaring Kelty champions this season. However, the inclusion of two invited teams into the league, where their results could impact on promotion relegation, throws any claims of integrity out the window.

It is also notable that the AGM appears not to have opened up the Lowland League to additional relegation places, despite a big increase in the number of clubs at tier 6 and below.  The Lowland League is now a bottleneck for promotion and relegation within the pyramid.  

BackOfTheNet
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The bigger issue is that the B team plan had already been rejected by the SPFL L1/L2 clubs.  I don't think anyone would object if they applied for entry to the bottom of the pyramid (currently tier 7).  We are led to believe that the Lowland League (tier 5) made the approach to the OF, who gladly agreed to pay £25k each for the privilege of skipping a couple of tiers, apparently in a "one year" arrangement.

The Lowland League president George Fraser was prominent and vocal in his support for "sporting integrity", both a year ago and when declaring Kelty champions this season. However, the inclusion of two invited teams into the league, where their results could impact on promotion relegation, throws any claims of integrity out the window.

It is also notable that the AGM appears not to have opened up the Lowland League to additional relegation places, despite a big increase in the number of clubs at tier 6 and below.  The Lowland League is now a bottleneck for promotion and relegation within the pyramid.  

As I say, I’m not opposed to the principle of B teams/Colt teams as it’s common across other countries. I will however be forever doubtful of those who run the Scottish game and their reasons for implementing any changes.

Jambof3tornado
16 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

As I say, I’m not opposed to the principle of B teams/Colt teams as it’s common across other countries. I will however be forever doubtful of those who run the Scottish game and their reasons for implementing any changes.

Correct. Were it an option offered to all clubs in the top flight it would look less obvious favouritism.

davemclaren
55 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Can the colt teams be relegated? If not, and they can’t be promoted then I’m not sure how any bottleneck problem has changed. Or am I missing something?

The Old Tolbooth
39 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Correct. Were it an option offered to all clubs in the top flight it would look less obvious favouritism.

I could be wrong here, but I was under the impression that it is actually open to all top flight clubs. 

Ex member of the SaS

All the diddy teams had a say in how things panned out when we were demoted so why are the big teams not allowed a vote on this? Surely what is good for the goose.

Footballfirst
16 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Can the colt teams be relegated? If not, and they can’t be promoted then I’m not sure how any bottleneck problem has changed. Or am I missing something?

They can't be promoted or relegated although their results against other clubs can affect the promotion or relegation prospects of other clubs.

The "bottleneck" is a separate issue for the LL and I'm disappointed that there is no mention of any changes to the number of promotion/relegation places between tiers 5 & 6 having been agreed at the AGM.  For a league with 16 teams (18 next season), the prospect of only a single promotion place from the three feeder leagues at tier 6 (EOS Prem, WOS Prem and SOS) is pretty poor.  It's as if the LL is saying that if the SPFL doesn't open up access to L2 then we aren't going to open up access to the LL (despite just having "invited" the OF teams directly). 

29 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

This is effectively a trial.

But its unclear what happens next.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

They can't be promoted or relegated although their results against other clubs can affect the promotion or relegation prospects of other clubs.

The "bottleneck" is a separate issue for the LL and I'm disappointed that there is no mention of any changes to the number of promotion/relegation places between tiers 5 & 6 having been agreed at the AGM.  For a league with 16 teams (18 next season), the prospect of only a single promotion place from the three feeder leagues at tier 6 (EOS Prem, WOS Prem and SOS) is pretty poor.  It's as if the LL is saying that if the SPFL doesn't open up access to L2 then we aren't going to open up access to the LL (despite just having "invited" the OF teams directly). 

Thanks for the clarification. Most leagues like to be as closed as possible from the threat of relegation. 

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Kelty leaving the Lowland league leaves what looks like a very competitive league.

This does seem to dilute or distract from that. 

Interesting whether the coverage will be about the league or more just the Colts. 

Lowland league perhaps thinks it raises the profile of the league but good competition surely does that better. 

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Kelty leaving the Lowland league leaves what looks like a very competitive league.

This does seem to dilute or distract from that. 

Interesting whether the coverage will be about the league or more just the Colts. 

Lowland league perhaps thinks it raises the profile of the league but good competition surely does that better. 

It is competitive, to the extent that maybe five clubs could win it next season (East Kilbride, Bonnyrigg, BSC, Bo'ness, East Stirling?), with decent competition from Spartans, Berwick, Gala and CSS, but it doesn't mask the fact the there are a number of weaker sides who will be playing at a level above their ability. It's a similar situation to the L2 clubs seeking to protect their interests against those leagues outside the SPFL.

The standard of most of the teams in tier 6 is higher than that of the bottom six of the LL and in some cases will be higher than that of the whole of the LL. I think that it is very poor for a league in the middle of the pyramid to restrict movement to such an extent that it could take 10 years or more for clubs to find their right level. Fluidity of movement between leagues creates competition and interest. A closed shop approach is anti competitive.

8 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It is competitive, to the extent that maybe five clubs could win it next season (East Kilbride, Bonnyrigg, BSC, Bo'ness, East Stirling?), with decent competition from Spartans, Berwick, Gala and CSS, but it doesn't mask the fact the there are a number of weaker sides who will be playing at a level above their ability. It's a similar situation to the L2 clubs seeking to protect their interests against those leagues outside the SPFL.

The standard of most of the teams in tier 6 is higher than that of the bottom six of the LL and in some cases will be higher than that of the whole of the LL. I think that it is very poor for a league in the middle of the pyramid to restrict movement to such an extent that it could take 10 years or more for clubs to find their right level. Fluidity of movement between leagues creates competition and interest. A closed shop approach is anti competitive.

Thanks for the update.

We can watch closely. Ironic really in terms of John Nelms comments. 

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Okay, but the question you need to ask first is: why are the Old Firm seeking to play Colt teams in the Lowland Leagues whilst simultaneously and openly discussing leaving the Scottish league set up to play in a European league?

Saint Jambo

Lowland League have changed the nature of their league. They have decided to expand by two teams but not taken those from within the pyramid system.

Previously I said that I thought the SPFL should be clear that they would only accept the champions of the Lowland League into the play-off. That is the agreement that is in place. It has never been the case that it is simply for the Lowland League to nominate who they want into the play-off. If the champions aren't eligible for League 2, the champions of the Highland League should progress straight to the play-off final.

I actually now think the SPFL should vote to reject the Lowland League team from entry to the play-off next season regardless of winner. They have changed the nature of their league and abandoned their commitment to the pyramid system. If they wanted two extra clubs in their league they had the option of promoting an additional two clubs from the tier below. Some might argue that is just making them collateral damage for our dislike of the Old Firm. I say tough. If you take the Old Firm coin, you take the consequences.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I could be wrong here, but I was under the impression that it is actually open to all top flight clubs. 

Has Ann confirmed that to us?

According to the Record, she seemed to say back in June that she was in favour of old firm colts teams as part of a wider reconstruction.

That (to me, anyway) seems like the sort of thing we should be told about, including ourreasons for not getting involved.

Edit: not sure it was Budge who was in favour, rather it was Levein who up for it.

Edited by Nookie Bear

Seymour M Hersh

If the infirm can apply to insert, paying £25k to do so, teams in the Lowland league does that mean, if they wanted to, Aberdeen, Ross County and Inverness could apply to the Highland league for the same opportunity? 

I’ve said this over and over, but why is this privilege being extended to two clubs only? Why are they being afforded yet another advantage nobody else has?

12 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I’ve said this over and over, but why is this privilege being extended to two clubs only? Why are they being afforded yet another advantage nobody else has?

Is it because they are the only ones who are actively trying to do this ?

If other clubs felt strongly enough I am certain they would have made their feelings known and joined in the campaign to add their own colts teams.

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Is it because they are the only ones who are actively trying to do this ?

If other clubs felt strongly enough I am certain they would have made their feelings known and joined in the campaign to add their own colts teams.

That may be the case but surely a change as fundamental as this should have been more openly discussed, with all the other major clubs giving their reasons for not taking part. It should also have been put to a vote amongst all member clubs.

And now the old firm have a foothold in the Scottish leage set up at the precise time they are seeking to leave the senior league set up. We will look back at this moment as a turning point imo.

Edited by Nookie Bear

17 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

That may be the case but surely a change as fundamental as this should have been more openly discussed, with all the other major clubs giving their reasons for not taking part. It should also have been put to a vote amongst all member clubs.

And now the old firm have a foothold in the Scottish leage set up at the precise time they are seeking to leave the senior league set up. We will look back at this moment as a turning point imo.

I agree - but some discussion took place in the papers and the clubs had proposals/white papers provided to them.

From what i remember in the last few months the proposal was brought to all clubs (badly - as we saw some finding out in the media first). The proposals didn't move forward as there wasn't evidence of a positive outcome for them (you have to assume they discussed it in some shape or form). This covers off your first point about major (Top 42) clubs IMO. 

Will we look at this as a turning point ? Maybe - to be fair the Old Firm (on the back of that rejection) they took their proposals to an alternative league structure and were received more positively. It's arguable they have fairly presented their reasons for Colts and managed to make it happen.

If this was Hearts - would we be saying something different ?

I think I'd prefer a Hearts Colts to start at the very bottom (you earn your way up) but I'd also argue that if this was Hearts and Hibs getting teams into the Lowland league then the club would deserve credit for being positive and forward thinking whilst the SPFL and it's majority of bias towards the West stagnates. 

Last point - I don't believe that they will leave our league structure as the EPL mid table clubs have zero incentive to vote them in. 

Perth to Paisley

Have they announced which league Brechin are joining... I heard there was some Arm twisting being attempted to get them in LL

47 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

But wouldn't it be wonderful if they left the Senior set up in an ill-fated move to a European "Super" League which is a total disaster, try to come back and get knocked back, and they're stuck forever in the Lowland League without any promotion or relegation allowed :lol:

The league would never have the balls to deny them, but just dream for a minute.

7 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Have they announced which league Brechin are joining... I heard there was some Arm twisting being attempted to get them in LL

Everyone is saying it's the Highland League 

John Findlay

Interesting to note they are no longer being called Colt teams, but B teams. The backdoor move to gain entry into the SPFL has begun.

People that run Scottish football should be booted into touch.

The Old Tolbooth
6 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Has Ann confirmed that to us?

According to the Record, she seemed to say back in June that she was in favour of old firm colts teams as part of a wider reconstruction.

That (to me, anyway) seems like the sort of thing we should be told about, including ourreasons for not getting involved.

Edit: not sure it was Budge who was in favour, rather it was Levein who up for it.

I was asking Allan Preston about it and he seemed to reckon it's open to everyone mate, not just the uglies, if we pay £25k we can get in apparently, but it doesn't seem right that it's only for one year, just seems crazy to pay that sort of cash for one year, which is why I smell shite. 

Spellczech
On 05/05/2021 at 22:40, ToadKiller Dog said:

This is all about getting round the spfl vote ,if say the Orc colts finish in top place beat the Highland league team ,can the spfl refuse I doubt it .

Then they are where they want to be with out a vote .

I dont believe it's just a one season deal it would be continued ,once the dust settled 

Agreed, this is about the OF proving to wee clubs that their fans will turn up to see the colts teams and the money incentive is real for them to change their vote next time...

part_time_jambo

Is it just coincidence that BOTH clubs applied and were accepted at the same time? One could be forgiven for thinking they were in cahoots.

25 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Is it just coincidence that BOTH clubs applied and were accepted at the same time? One could be forgiven for thinking they were in cahoots.

Since about 1905 or so...

Except the Minty Murray years when Celtic were a basket case and Murray thought he could do without the joint meetings/sharing funds etc. Ironically Murray took his team towards liquidation and the new team and Celtic know to stick together and split the money in Scottish Football.

Nookie Bear
19 hours ago, Mysterion said:

I agree - but some discussion took place in the papers and the clubs had proposals/white papers provided to them.

From what i remember in the last few months the proposal was brought to all clubs (badly - as we saw some finding out in the media first). The proposals didn't move forward as there wasn't evidence of a positive outcome for them (you have to assume they discussed it in some shape or form). This covers off your first point about major (Top 42) clubs IMO. 

Will we look at this as a turning point ? Maybe - to be fair the Old Firm (on the back of that rejection) they took their proposals to an alternative league structure and were received more positively. It's arguable they have fairly presented their reasons for Colts and managed to make it happen.

If this was Hearts - would we be saying something different ?

I think I'd prefer a Hearts Colts to start at the very bottom (you earn your way up) but I'd also argue that if this was Hearts and Hibs getting teams into the Lowland league then the club would deserve credit for being positive and forward thinking whilst the SPFL and it's majority of bias towards the West stagnates. 

Last point - I don't believe that they will leave our league structure as the EPL mid table clubs have zero incentive to vote them in. 

Top response - appreciate that 👍🏻

So many unknowns, except that the old firm are up to “something” with the leagues backing imo

The Treasurer
On 28/05/2021 at 12:44, Perth to Paisley said:

LL clubs being threatened with expulsion from the LC if they don't allow Brechin into their league 

On 29/05/2021 at 12:45, The Treasurer said:

LL clubs being threatened with expulsion from the LC if they don't allow Brechin into their league 

I think the LL has rejected them - they were going to pay £1,000 for every away game apparently.

Brechin Director Kevin Mackie tells STV “”Brechin City were asked by the SFA last week if we were to be offered a position in the Lowland League would we be receptive to playing there in season 21/22.

What's it got to do with the SFA?

Tasavallan
3 minutes ago, Dunks said:

What's it got to do with the SFA?

SFA responsible for non-league football, but even in the SLFL Brechin City will win feck all.