• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Nookie Bear

• Footballfirst

• LarrysRightFoot

AlphonseCapone
8 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Seems fair enough if they start at the bottom.

Still seems shite tbh. I know it's more common on the continent to have B teams etc but I just fundamentally disagree with it. Another way bigger, more resourced clubs can get an edge. 

hmfcbilly
26 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Still seems shite tbh. I know it's more common on the continent to have B teams etc but I just fundamentally disagree with it. Another way bigger, more resourced clubs can get an edge. 

Not sure what the script will be in terms of promotion but can see it being a bit of a money spinner attendance wise for the other clubs when the uglies come crawling for their away matches. Even though it's the colts, the badge will be enough to entice plenty of their neanderthal fans along for a bevvy. Some handy teams in the lowland league too and I'd imagine it literally will be men against boys (sorry if that phrase offends any wokie types out there😜) so I don't think rangers and celtic colts would necessarily win the league anyway 

Mikey1874

The key thing is that League One and Two clubs continue to reject this proposal which has been made at least 3 times in the last year. 

Might be an issue still around promotion. 

LarrysRightFoot
41 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I agree. No issues if they start at the bottom. It’s something we should be looking at. 

brunoatemyhamster

Would a proper reserve league not have the same effect? 

Or am I missing something here? 

Edited by brunoatemyhamster

38 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Disagree entirely. This is about fairness, any professional club that wishes to field a colts team should be able to do so together. 

The OF getting to do it first hands them an advantage and it reeks of unfairness and double standards since they are being treated differently. 

Im sure Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen at very least would all like to field colt teams. It’s complete nonsense the OF being given the nod first. A season to start colts should be agreed and the clubs interested in fielding teams should be given the time to put together the resources etc needed to field the teams. 

ToadKiller Dog

This is all about getting round the spfl vote ,if say the Orc colts finish in top place beat the Highland league team ,can the spfl refuse I doubt it .

Then they are where they want to be with out a vote .

I dont believe it's just a one season deal it would be continued ,once the dust settled 

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

Fozzyonthefence
15 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Not sure what the script will be in terms of promotion but can see it being a bit of a money spinner attendance wise for the other clubs when the uglies come crawling for their away matches. Even though it's the colts, the badge will be enough to entice plenty of their neanderthal fans along for a bevvy. 

I can’t see it - these colts teams already play the League 1 and 2 teams in the Challenge Cup and they don’t turn up in their thousands (don’t think they even turn up in their hundreds), can’t see them turning up in bigger numbers for even less glamorous games in the Lowland League. 

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

This is all about getting round the spfl vote ,if say the Orc colts finish in top place beat the Highland league team ,can the spfl refuse I doubt it .

Then they are where they want to be with out a vote .

I dont believe it's just a one season deal 

I share your cynicism. 

16 minutes ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

Don’t shoot the messenger but the John Collins argument is the youngsters have to get used to playing in a mans league but play in the rangers/ Celtic style??? And the teams at the bottom of the pyramid are cloggers so don’t play proper football so no point loaning them out there. The exception players can be loaned out to better teams

also said reserve league too easy for old firm teams 

j

Mikey1874
19 minutes ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

It's a good question.

If Rangers and Celtic think their youngsters that aren't suitable to go on loan need toughened up by playing men and that is more beneficial than playing the best teams at their age group which they could do then why not. 

If it's for other reasons it makes more sense. 

Mikey1874
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

I don't see what the point of this is when the reserve leagues a higher standard. 

They could play the best sides in England and Europe at U23 out with a reserve league. That's what some clubs including Hibs have been doing. 

It makes no sense to me.

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

They could play the best sides in England and Europe at U23 out with a reserve league. That's what some clubs including Hibs have been doing. 

It makes no sense to me.

Yep. Seems very strange. 

SomethingAboutObua
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't see what the point of this is when the reserve leagues a higher standard. 

Exactly, they made a whole thing about leaving because it wasn't good enough, but have dropped from wanting SPFL access to get into regional amateur/part time football? 

Section Q
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

We should have one too.

Mysterion
24 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

also the feeder leagues into the lowland not happy about this either

You'd want it in writing that in the event a Colt team finished 1st (or 2nd) then it would pass the play off game to the next placed non-colt team.

Mysterion
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It makes no sense to me.

All about marketing their clubs at a community level to sell merchandise and loyalty to the club - "Come see the stars of Ibrox tomorrow in your local overspill commuter town"

Rangers have also significantly expanded their community coaching program. They recently held a week long camp 5mins from Tynecastle. Frankly embarrassing to see a West coast club come into our city hoping to encourage fans of the future to have an affinity with them.

Hungry hippo
34 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Exactly, they made a whole thing about leaving because it wasn't good enough, but have dropped from wanting SPFL access to get into regional amateur/part time football? 

I can only assume that they think they have no chance of getting Colt teams voted directly into League 2 so have devised a new strategy to achievethat goal.

The new plan appears to be to demonstrate this will work in the Lowland League for a season and then apply for League 2 as soon as they think they can win a vote - with the preferred timescale no doubt being next year.

Personally, I'm not against colt teams at Lowland level as long as it's not at the expense of other teams ie just increase the league size. We've always got to safeguard against the Old Firm's motives also. I wouldn't be against us fielding a young team in the EoS.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Agreed and also if all clubs were asked if they wanted to do the same. 

2 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Good point that last one, folk are saying fair enough cos they're starting at the bottom but they're not.

Tommy Brown

By my reading of this, they will only be in the Lowland League and have no promotion available.

It may work ok, i dont see them being capable of winning the leage anyway.

But being the OF, we all know that there is ultimately a dastardly plan in its roots.

I'm old enough to remember Hearts and Hibs colts playing in the East of Scotland League. Don't see a problem with this tbh

Unknown user
7 hours ago, Newton51 said:

One year my painted arsehole, if this was for one year it would be pointless.

They're at it, it's obvious what they're up to, it's the set up to joining another league and still leaving teams in Scotland to hoover up anything that's left.

How many goes have they had at this now?

**** them, OFGTF

Edited by Smithee

8 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

The Lowland League isn't the bottom in the pyramid

highlandjambo3
8 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

Not sure what the script will be in terms of promotion but can see it being a bit of a money spinner attendance wise for the other clubs when the uglies come crawling for their away matches. Even though it's the colts, the badge will be enough to entice plenty of their neanderthal fans along for a bevvy. Some handy teams in the lowland league too and I'd imagine it literally will be men against boys (sorry if that phrase offends any wokie types out there😜) so I don't think rangers and celtic colts would necessarily win the league anyway 

They will end up getting more “local” glory hunters to follow the bigger cheeks……detrimental to the smaller clubs in the long run.

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, Serge said:

I'm old enough to remember Hearts and Hibs colts playing in the East of Scotland League. Don't see a problem with this tbh

And why don't we do the same again. Got to be better than montrose loan deals.

TyphoonJambo
8 hours ago, Mysterion said:

All about marketing their clubs at a community level to sell merchandise and loyalty to the club - "Come see the stars of Ibrox tomorrow in your local overspill commuter town"

Rangers have also significantly expanded their community coaching program. They recently held a week long camp 5mins from Tynecastle. Frankly embarrassing to see a West coast club come into our city hoping to encourage fans of the future to have an affinity with them.

If true, and I have no reason to doubt you, its bloody embarrassing and I'd hope the club have taken note.

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, Mysterion said:

This

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

One year my painted arsehole, if this was for one year it would be pointless.

They're at it, it's obvious what they're up to, it's the set up to joining another league and still leaving teams in Scotland to hoover up anything that's left.

How many goes have they had at this now?

**** them, OFGTF

And very much this. 

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Serge said:

Same here.

Used to enjoy going over to Redford Barracks to watch the Colts.

I've no problem with this idea, provided it's open to all league clubs and guaranteed no promotion to the full league set-up.

Hearts1975
9 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It is shite. You are absolutely correct. They stuff everyone in terms of revenue terms. The only glint of hope is building a good team of players, supplemented by the best youth from our academy, but now they want to make sure that they have an edge, as younger players will also get the opportunity to play in the lower leagues if they don the famous blue or green 

The Arse cheeks “stifle” the shite out of Scottish Football. They always have and always will. They Monopolise everything good about the game, and strangle the life out of all other clubs and to maintain control

I think the OF should have teams in all our leagues because they are so terrific.

Rick Sanchez

I've said before our younger players would benefit from playing against men every week.

Everyone or no one though.

Heartsfth

Def think we should apply to put a Colts team in the East of Scotland League and try to work our way up. Our youngsters would’ be guaranteed game time playing the positions we want them to play as well as the style of football. Also get them used to trying to play that football against the wide variety of styles you get in this country.

Am I correct in thinking this is a £25k entry? If so why don't we enter a team, we are constantly farming out our kinds on loan.

Edited by brux

Nookie Bear

So here we go again...i have a couple of issues:

1. If Colts/B Team were historically a thing then i can understand why they are useful but, at a time when the old firm are publicly and actively seeking to leave the Scottish League setup, why would they be looking to introduce Colt Teams to, it seems, any league that will take them?

2. Why is this Old Firm only? The immediate response from the SPFL and the league to which they want to drop into should be: "if we do this, how do we open it up to other clubs?"

3. You just know that the default setting of the SPFL will be: "how do we facilitate this for our good friends in Ibrox and Parkhead who are so essential to our game?" Their default setting should be one of suspicion.

4. Looking at some of the current SLFL teams, i reckon most are proud of their 'community' role. I wonder how their communities will feel about a few hundred scumbags pissing in their front gardens on a weekly basis? I bet Edinburgh Uni will be delighted to welcome them to Peffermill...

Nookie Bear
22 minutes ago, brux said:

Am I correct in thinking this is a £25k entry? If so why don't we enter a team, we are constantly farming out our kinds on loan.

Why not do it just to see how it goes for a season?

Why do we not just ask to get a reaction from the league as to why we (and hibs, Aberdeen etc) are not involved?

40 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Why not do it just to see how it goes for a season?

Why do we not just ask to get a reaction from the league as to why we (and hibs, Aberdeen etc) are not involved?

That's what I am thinking, why does this have to be restricted to only 2 clubs in Scotland?

Mikey1874

Going by reports still needs a vote of SPFL clubs.

Still got a major hurdle with League One and Two clubs. 

hmfcbilly
12 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I can’t see it - these colts teams already play the League 1 and 2 teams in the Challenge Cup and they don’t turn up in their thousands (don’t think they even turn up in their hundreds), can’t see them turning up in bigger numbers for even less glamorous games in the Lowland League. 

I was thinking more in the hundreds than thousands tbh. Does the challenge Cup not get played midweek?? With the majority of lowland league games being Saturdays more chance a hundred or so folk make a day out of it

Tasavallan

Personally, I have no objection to this provided the rules of formation and competing are clearly defined as is done in European Leagues (like Netherlands) where playing B teams in their lower leagues is allowed:

- Treated as a wholly separate team by SFA/SPFL

- Separate squad from the senior team 

- Separate management team

- Restricted to age limit of players (U23?) and not a reserves team reservoir.

- Have own ground that meets SFA standards

- No swapping of players between senior & B teams during season

My question would be in which level of the pyramid do they start in?  SLFL or WOSFL?  Also, should be open to any Premiership club to run a B team in lower leagues provided they meet criteria.

Interesting to see how the SFA/SPFL will fix the only one club promoted to League 2 via play-offs.  Could never have one OF B team in League 2 and the other in a lower league.

I somehow think as it is the SFA/SPFL they will mess it all up.

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Tasavallan said:

Personally, I have no objection to this provided the rules of formation and competing are clearly defined as is done in European Leagues (like Netherlands) where playing B teams in their lower leagues is allowed:

- Treated as a wholly separate team by SFA/SPFL

- Separate squad from the senior team 

- Separate management team

- Restricted to age limit of players (U23?) and not a reserves team reservoir.

- Have own ground that meets SFA standards

- No swapping of players between senior & B teams during season

My question would be in which level of the pyramid do they start in?  SLFL or WOSFL?  Also, should be open to any Premiership club to run a B team in lower leagues provided they meet criteria.

Interesting to see how the SFA/SPFL will fix the only one club promoted to League 2 via play-offs.  Could never have one OF B team in League 2 and the other in a lower league.

I somehow think as it is the SFA/SPFL they will mess it all up.

Also add in that, in the event the parent club leaves the Scottish Football leagues, the Colts club is immediately disbanded.