Hearts 100 year old medal coming up for auction....

Section Q

millerjames398

That's a thing of beauty, 124/25 yrs old, boggles the mind, how much football's changed since those days🇱🇻

Edited by millerjames398
Spell error

been here before

Surely the club, museum, FOH, JKB, or anyone else with an interest could contribute to bidding for this and keeping it in display in the museum.

Toronto Jambo

The club or FOH need to be winners of this auction.  It should be in the club museum.

Agree with TJ ☝🏼Above.

I get an immense feeling of pride looking at Heart memorabilia.

I don't know if the governance would allow the FOH to buy that with our donations, without going to a vote and then gifting it to the Club. I can't believe many FOH members would object?

John Findlay

It will come home. I wouldnt be surprised in the slightest if one of our benefactors bought this and gifted it to the museum for display.

the general

A few years ago the Scottish museums started buying stuff like this up and really pushed the prices high.

Chuck Berry

I do believe this was the era when the Scottish League paid the club to have their own medals made.  A lovely item which needs to come home.

Section Q

Not many Hearts players won the league with us and then did it again with an English team. Dave Mackay and Alex Young come to mind.

dannymack

The season Hibs could have won the league at Tynecastle Park but didn't have the bottle, a goal from Tom Robertson ended their title hopes in a 1-0 win for Hearts, we went on to win our games in hand and secure the title by 2 points. 

Edited by dannymack

Hearts Heritage
17 hours ago, Toronto Jambo said:

The club or FOH need to be winners of this auction.  It should be in the club museum.

6 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

I do believe this was the era when the Scottish League paid the club to have their own medals made.  A lovely item which needs to come home.

We are fortunate that we have Bob McCartney's medal from that season on loan. How Hearts won the League that season is an extraordinary tale in itself. We will be doing a twitter thread soon telling the story.

We have never seen one from 1894-95 though.

The Scottish League paid clubs to have their own unique medals (for a particular season) made up until the 1950s. Lawrie Reilley's 2 that He won with Hibs are also unique designs.

By the time we won the league in 1958 the design was 'generic'.

1896-97 League Champions Medal of Bob McCartney

1957-58 League Champions Plaque and Medal

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Hearts Heritage said:

We are fortunate that we have Bob McCartney's medal from that season on loan. How Hearts won the League that season is an extraordinary tale in itself. We will be doing a twitter thread soon telling the story.

We have never seen one from 1894-95 though.

The Scottish League paid clubs to have their own unique medals (for a particular season) made up until the 1950s. Lawrie Reilley's 2 that He won with Hibs are also unique designs.

By the time we won the league in 1958 the design was 'generic'.

1896-97 League Champions Medal of Bob McCartney

1957-58 League Champions Plaque and Medal

Is there a photograph of an 1894-95 medal?

Hearts Heritage
Just now, davemclaren said:

Is there a photograph of an 1894-95 medal?

No we have never seen a photo. So if anyone out there has please post one.

dannymack

FAO Hearts Heritage, is there any record of the Hearts v Hibs match from the 5th December highlighting the fact that Hibs could have won the league that day ?  

Hope someone or the club steps forward to safe guard it via the museum.

Looks like a very unique piece, and it would be a shame if it was left to rot in a private collection. 

Hearts Heritage
6 minutes ago, dannymack said:

The season Hibs could have won the league at Tynecastle Park but didn't have the bottle, a goal from Tom Robertson ended their title hopes in a 1-0 win for Hearts, we went on to win our games in hand and secure the title by 2 points. 

The story of that season is a lot more complex than that one result. Even after that defeat Hibs AND Celtic were still in strong positions to win the league.

image.png.16f4999c04bdc2c72ba722fc384487d4.png

Hearts Heritage
2 minutes ago, dannymack said:

FAO Hearts Heritage, is there any record of the Hearts v Hibs match from the 5th December highlighting the fact that Hibs could have won the league that day ?  

Hibs couldn't have won the league that day as they still had two games to play and Celtic in 2nd place 4 points behind had four games left.

However, IF they had won and subsequent results were the same they would have won the title.

Back in the 1890s the League should have been finished before the Scottish Cup started in the New Year. However local cup games and replays in particular took precedence over league matches. Therefore Hearts had 2 games both vs Clyde still to play at the end of 1896. These were not played until the 13th and 20th of Feb 1897.

We will be doing a Twitter thread on how the title was won that season. If Kickback had been around it would have been in meltdown after our 8th league match on 26 Sep 1896.

dannymack
59 minutes ago, Hearts Heritage said:

Hibs couldn't have won the league that day as they still had two games to play and Celtic in 2nd place 4 points behind had four games left.

However, IF they had won and subsequent results were the same they would have won the title.

Back in the 1890s the League should have been finished before the Scottish Cup started in the New Year. However local cup games and replays in particular took precedence over league matches. Therefore Hearts had 2 games both vs Clyde still to play at the end of 1896. These were not played until the 13th and 20th of Feb 1897.

We will be doing a Twitter thread on how the title was won that season. If Kickback had been around it would have been in meltdown after our 8th league match on 26 Sep 1896.

Good stuff, look forward to the detailed account of how the league was won. 

I got the information from the fantastic Pictorial Historybook 1874-1984... 

I'm going to buy it then claim that I won it. I seem to remember there's a precident for doing that in Scotland.

9 hours ago, 1953 said:

I'm going to buy it then claim that I won it. I seem to remember there's a precident for doing that in Scotland.

😂😂👍

• 2 weeks later...
Fxxx the SPFL

it would be great if the Hearts museum could get a hold of this medal estimate is £5k-£7k probably out with their bidding limit possibly Mrs B may help out would be a great acquisition auction on Friday 

2 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

it would be great if the Hearts museum could get a hold of this medal estimate is £5k-£7k probably out with their bidding limit possibly Mrs B may help out would be a great acquisition auction on Friday 

Don’t forget that the buyers premium is an additional 28% on the auction price at the fall of the hammer. Can see this reaching 5 figures. 

Fxxx the SPFL
11 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

About 36 hours of FOH contributions. If FOH wanted it to happen surely it would.

looks like that fell on deaf ears

Francis Albert
7 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

looks like that fell on deaf ears

I don't get it. Stuart Wallace picks up the phone to Ann. Says :the point of FOH was to preserve and maintain  the history of Heart of Midlothian. Here is a chance to help do that for 30 hours worth of FOH donations. Please get it done."

Given all the money hat has been wasted in the last few years ...

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I don't get it. Stuart Wallace picks up the phone to Ann. Says :the point of FOH was to preserve and maintain  the history of Heart of Midlothian. Here is a chance to help do that for 30 hours worth of FOH donations. Please get it done."

Given all the money hat has been wasted in the last few years ...

yep even if it was £10k it would be worth it.

upgotheheads
On 04/05/2021 at 23:46, millerjames398 said:

That's a thing of beauty, 124/25 yrs old, boggles the mind, how much football's changed since those days🇱🇻

It truly is a  classy design.

ford donald
On 04/05/2021 at 23:58, Toronto Jambo said:

AB should buy it for the museum,she could easily afford it.

About 30 or more years ago I did some work at Tynecastle, helping to refurbish the directors suite and other areas within Tynie all during the Robinson era. We had family connection to Sandy Jardine and it was decided that a family heirloom would be donated to Hearts and was passed on to Sandy. My father's uncle John Wood was on the books for Hearts during the 50's and a scout during the 60's had passed on to me a collection of of 6 or so medals all on a chain, in his will which I got them when I was 12 or so. These were Scottish cup winners, League Champions winners, Rosebury Sheild and East of Scotland medals. All won by different players and dating from around the turn of the century. After Sandy was sacked I tried to get them back but they were never found. During the time of the refurb I was helping Chris with some of the artefacts for the display cases and low and behold I found what I believed then and still believe now were my medals, needless to say this was disputed by Mr Robinson. The stupid thing was we never got a receipt or anything in writing from the club so can't really take this to any other level other than to appeal to the club to at least have a dialogue with me. I must point out that as the medals were not won by my family it was always my desire to donate them to the club but also have them re-connected with their rightful families and for my own family to have our name having donated them back to the club. If someone can help me in any way or point me to someone who can help resolve this then that would be much appreciated.

davemclaren
3 hours ago, rorcos said:

About 30 or more years ago I did some work at Tynecastle, helping to refurbish the directors suite and other areas within Tynie all during the Robinson era. We had family connection to Sandy Jardine and it was decided that a family heirloom would be donated to Hearts and was passed on to Sandy. My father's uncle John Wood was on the books for Hearts during the 50's and a scout during the 60's had passed on to me a collection of of 6 or so medals all on a chain, in his will which I got them when I was 12 or so. These were Scottish cup winners, League Champions winners, Rosebury Sheild and East of Scotland medals. All won by different players and dating from around the turn of the century. After Sandy was sacked I tried to get them back but they were never found. During the time of the refurb I was helping Chris with some of the artefacts for the display cases and low and behold I found what I believed then and still believe now were my medals, needless to say this was disputed by Mr Robinson. The stupid thing was we never got a receipt or anything in writing from the club so can't really take this to any other level other than to appeal to the club to at least have a dialogue with me. I must point out that as the medals were not won by my family it was always my desire to donate them to the club but also have them re-connected with their rightful families and for my own family to have our name having donated them back to the club. If someone can help me in any way or point me to someone who can help resolve this then that would be much appreciated.

If you think the club still has them you would be best contacting the Hearts Museum. 

Hearts Heritage
On 19/05/2021 at 16:41, rorcos said:

If you send an email to [email protected] with details of medals we can check to see if they are on display in the Museum or still in our archive.

4 minutes ago, Archie White said:

Went for £13,000!!

Nice to know someone wanted it that much....

The Treasurer
3 hours ago, Archie White said:

Went for £13,000!!

That's more than most of our squad are worth 

1 hour ago, edramone said:

To a private collector? Will it appear in the museum....

Internet winning bid so no one really knows. It wasn’t bought by the club so can only hope it’s a wealthy Jambo who will gift it to the museum 🤞