martoon

Much has been made of Neilson's hitherto secret targets to win the Championship.

If, as suggested, the ambition is making the top six next season (yeehaw), what do you think he'll be setting out for the team to achieve points and goals wise after 33 games?

Furthermore, what would be the minimum target for European qualification after 38.

On the other hand, what, and it must be considered, will we need to steer clear of the relegation places.

Haven't bothered with what would be required to win the title but you can if you like. 😁

1 minute ago, martoon said:

Much has been made of Neilson's hitherto secret targets to win the Championship.

If, as suggested, the ambition is making the top six next season (yeehaw), what do you think he'll be setting out for the team to achieve points and goals wise after 33 games?

Furthermore, what would be the minimum target for European qualification after 38.

On the other hand, what, and it must be considered, will we need to steer clear of the relegation places.

Haven't bothered with what would be required to win the title but you can if you like. 😁

100 points should see us win the title 👍🏻 

coatbridgejambo
7 minutes ago, sadj said:

That's the spirit .

Aim for what is possible until it isn't. 

Just now, coatbridgejambo said:

That's the spirit .

Aim for what is possible until it isn't. 

Only way you should be in football imo. 6-0 down in 70 mins , you still have time to score 7 😉

Bazzas right boot
49 minutes ago, martoon said:

Good Fred. 

Historically 65 points gets you around 3rd, Hibs this year will be on a little bit less than that it looks like. 

For me about 12 home wins, 6 away wins with the rest split between draws and defeats will get us around there. 

Our biggest issue imo has been our home form the past 3/4 seasons, that has cost us league placings, if we get that sorted we'll be in about the top placings. 

If anything Robbie has had  us consistent in the league, hopefully we will be again. 

We should be nowhere near relegation and I don't expect us to be in the bottom 6.

If Gordon, Smith, Souttar, Haring, Boyce and GMS all get papped out injured at the same time I'll revise the bottom six prediction. 

Cannae see us winning the league, but if Robbie can keep up his 100% record  of being above Rangers with us then I'll predict we'll be champions! 😜

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bull's-eye

0 points.

Never going to win again.

Cranial explosions imminent.

Bunny Munro

Theoretically we should be able to win home and away against the bottom 6.

Thats 54 points.

Win our home games against the top 6 teams outside the old firm.

Thats 18 points.

1 win against Celtic and 1 against Rangers.

Thats 6 points.

Nothing there should be seen as overly optimistic for a club with out budget.

It would get us 78 points - that would put us 2nd this season.

Mikey1874

Targets are interesting.

There's a case to be made that Neilson's targets were self fulfilling.

Fans' targets which were to go unbeaten would have been more appropriate.

JamboGraham

Assuming Celtic rebuild over the summer I suspect we will be heading back to a Premier League table that will see Rangers and Celtic dropping very few points (except to each other) and the rest of the top six cutting each other’s throats in terms of any serious effort to challenge either of the Glasgow sides.

In my mind then we are heading back to a league similar to the early 2000’s where the 60 point formula for 3rd once again becomes a useful barometer.

RN will let us know next May what our points, goals for and goals against targets were for the season.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
9 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

Theoretically we should be able to win home and away against the bottom 6.

Thats 54 points.

Win our home games against the top 6 teams outside the old firm.

Thats 18 points.

1 win against Celtic and 1 against Rangers.

Thats 6 points.

Nothing there should be seen as overly optimistic for a club with out budget.

It would get us 78 points - that would put us 2nd this season.

This is completely realistic, great post. Would only be our best season in our history by a considerable margin. Neilson, achieve this or gtfo my club!

Mars plastic

Coach Neilson is targeting top 6 for Scotland's third biggest outfit. Big wows, hud me back.

Out both cups again with as much as a whimper I predict.

jambonian
Just now, DH1986 said:

RN will let us know next May what our points, goals for and goals against targets were for the season.

......once he's read what they were for himself.

4th at a minimum plus quarter final stage of both cups (draw depending, I.e will cut slack if we draw OF) 

I want to see kids brought through this season too. Connor Smith, Cammy Logan maybe McGill too? Henderson to continue to kick on as well. Think folk were saying Chris Hamilton is being converted into a CDM, so maybe another year before we’ll see him? 

Anyway, good showing in the league and both cups plus a couple of youngsters brought into the first team (and given decent game time) 

Our targets should be to win every game we play.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If you don't set out to do that, what's the point in even playing in the first place?

However, more realistically we should be looking at the following targets:

Not dropping any points against teams in the Bottom 6.

Not losing any games to non-Old Firm Teams in the Top 6.

Winning at least 1 game against Celtic and Rangers (each).

Reaching the Semi-finals of both cup competitions.

Beating Hibs every single time we play them, even on FIFA.

I really want us to stop setting out "not to lose".  Let's stop worrying about other teams, and instead let them worry about us for a change.  I don't think there are any teams anymore (apart from Hibs) who realistically sit there and think "ah ****, we've got Hearts next week" as we've become such a soft-touch bunch of shitebags that have a nasty habit of handing out points who anyone and everyone.

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Always good to disclose your targets after you have reached them. 😆

Being allowed to do exactly that is the bigger worry.

JamboGraham
4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Our targets should be to win every game we play.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If you don't set out to do that, what's the point in even playing in the first place?

That would surely be a goal rather than a target? Would any professional side not have that as a goal?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

He is fly for sure. 

Next year, between 3 and 5 and be the hardest team to beat in the cups. 

Realistic enough that our main competitors have a head start on us, but not insurmountable by any stretch of the imagination. 

What they do over the summer will be important, it's not just what we do. Other clubs will be just as ambitious on similar budgets.

Livingston and St Johnstone fighting for 5th we have to be better than these without having to be disrespectful at all 

I reckon Neilson will set a 55 point target for top 6.

We should target 65, top 4 and Europe.

I also think he'll have to get 18-20 points from the first 11 games to keep a lid on fans anger.

I suspect he won't.

Doubt we'll get beyond the QF's of either cup.

Restonbabe

Mega mega money up for grabs for whoever invests into having a team able to compete with the Glasgow two. 

Automatic champions league qualification for the champions league new format for whoever wins next seasons spfl. 

If we were a forward thinking club this season we would have assembled a squad capable of achieving this. 

Plus its 5 games to reach an fa cup final. 

Scottish football is piss easy if you had the correct people in place 

1 hour ago, sadj said:

It would have to be one of those open seasons when a low points tally is enough. I'm thinking of Celtic and Aberdeen's 48 of 1979 and 1980 which probably equates to around 65-70 points in today's money and 38 games.

Doubt that will ever happen again. Either one of the old firm could have an average season in them but not at the same time.

Edited by martoon

jambonian
Just now, Restonbabe said:

Mega mega money up for grabs for whoever invests into having a team able to compete with the Glasgow two. 

Automatic champions league qualification for the champions league new format for whoever wins next seasons spfl. 

If we were a forward thinking club this season we would have assembled a squad capable of achieving this. 

To be forward-thinking we have to sign quality, have ambition. I'd like to think that the hierarchy would be aware of this and the potential but right at this moment i think they'll be happy just to be playing in the Premier with no major target other than survival. Realistically we should do so much better and there's nothing wrong in having expectations however consolidation will be seen as a success....of sorts. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Good Fred. 

Historically 65 points gets you around 3rd, Hibs this year will be on a little bit less than that it looks like. 

For me about 12 home wins, 6 away wins with the rest split between draws and defeats will get us around there. 

Our biggest issue imo has been our home form the past 3/4 seasons, that has cost us league placings, if we get that sorted we'll be in about the top placings. 

If anything Robbie has had  us consistent in the league, hopefully we will be again. 

We should be nowhere near relegation and I don't expect us to be in the bottom 6.

If Gordon, Smith, Souttar, Haring, Boyce and GMS all get papped out injured at the same time I'll revise the bottom six prediction. 

Cannae see us winning the league, but if Robbie can keep up his 100% record  of being above Rangers with us then I'll predict we'll be champions! 😜

I don't think we'll be in a relegation struggle as I'd like to think something would be done early doors if it looked likely.

I think we may or may not be top 6 but either way a mid table finish beckons.

Wish I could be more positive but I'm finding those vibes hard to find.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Restonbabe said:

We should assemble a squad capable of winning the league and it should be piss easy?

:notsure:

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

However, more realistically we should be looking at the following targets:

Not dropping any points against teams in the Bottom 6.

Not losing any games to non-Old Firm Teams in the Top 6.

Winning at least 1 game against Celtic and Rangers (each).

Reaching the Semi-finals of both cup competitions.

Beating Hibs every single time we play them, even on FIFA.

I really want us to stop setting out "not to lose".  Let's stop worrying about other teams, and instead let them worry about us for a change.  I don't think there are any teams anymore (apart from Hibs) who realistically sit there and think "ah ****, we've got Hearts next week" as we've become such a soft-touch bunch of shitebags that have a nasty habit of handing out points who anyone and everyone.

Your realistic targets would have us as champions or not far off. 

Be prepared to be disappointed. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Your realistic targets would have us as champions or not far off. 

Be prepared to be disappointed. 

Standard stuff then :lol: 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, tian447 said:

Standard stuff then :lol: 

👍

Bazzas right boot

In the past 2 weeks jkb has gone from us being relegation fodder, top 6 isn't ambitious to now we should be winning the league.

It's ****ing brilliant. 

I'm sticking with top 4.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, JamboGraham said:

That would surely be a goal rather than a target? Would any professional side not have that as a goal?

Nah a goal is the thing we want to  score lots of in order to win games to then try and meet or exceed our targets. 

😋

soonbe110
3 hours ago, martoon said:

Excluding the OF games the equivalent points total of winning your home games and drawing your away games virtually always qualifies. That’s 60 points. 

Mars plastic
10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

In the past 2 weeks jkb has gone from us being relegation fodder, top 6 isn't ambitious to now we should be winning the league.

It's ****ing brilliant. 

I'm sticking with top 4.

Delusion on a biblical scale.

SomethingAboutObua

Honestly I would've been pretty happy with finishing 7th or 8th if we had a plan to blood in say 10 promising young players, something like an in-house rule of starting 3 youth graduates a game or 5 in the matchday squad. But seeing as we weren't able to play youth this year due to covid bubbles, and going by the lack of talent coming through anyway for the last 5 years, I'm pretty stumped where I think and want us to be. 

I think if we're being serious we won't be below 9th. I think the playoff winner will be bottom next year. Even if Neilson somehow had us that low, he'd definitely be sacked after 11 games. 

For me there's just too much to wait and see on our squad, the current bottom 6 to gauge where we should be. We won't be top 3, I think 4th will be St Johnstone and Aberdeen and Livi 5th/6th. 

Like I said, had we had a big plan to play our promising young guys I'd be happy with not being top 6, but knowing we don't have young guys ready to step up, and not knowing what senior players we'll have, I'm unsure yet where I'd be happy with.

Bunny Munro
2 hours ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

This is completely realistic, great post. Would only be our best season in our history by a considerable margin. Neilson, achieve this or gtfo my club!

To confirm, I don't expect this, and don't necessarily think it's Robbies/the clubs fault if we don't.

Although nothing I've said should be seen as beyond us.

Maple Leaf
22 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's ****ing brilliant. 

I'm sticking with top 4.

It's amazing what 5 clean sheets in April will do for morale.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

You agree with the Bobmeister comments about being top 6 then? 

I think we'll do better than that. 

17 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Crazy how that would only get us 2nd too. Ridiculous league structure playing each other so much. Once home, once away. Would mean final placings would be much closer.

Gary Locke
2 hours ago, feej said:

Don't get beaten by the old firm by more than 3 goals each time we play them

For some reason everytime we go through to Celtic or rangers in recent seasons we get skudded... even Hamilton put up a better fight than us

2 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

Jesus Christ thats what everyone has been doing wrong for the last 40years and to be fair the last 150years. Youve hit the nail on the head there 🤨

2 hours ago, martoon said:

It would have to be one of those open seasons when a low points tally is enough. I'm thinking of Celtic and Aberdeen's 48 of 1979 and 1980 which probably equates to around 65-70 points in today's money and 38 games.

Doubt that will ever happen again. Either one of the old firm could have an average season in them but not at the same time.

Yeah i doubt it too , we might once things settle down be in a place between the OF and the rest. The salary cap down south might help a wee bit too with continuity as the players will need to be hoovered up by Champ or above. If they dont they will likely stay but to challenge the OF they need to have an average season and both of them doing that is highly unlikely. 

Bull's-eye
1 hour ago, Mars plastic said:

Your patter was much better back in the "Blue is the colour" days, got tired and tedious towards the end.

A similar pattern is emerging.  😔

Mars plastic
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

You agree with the Bobmeister comments about being top 6 then? 

I think we'll do better than that. 

I didn't see anything last season to suggest we'll be beating any of the teams who finished in the top 6 regularly. Yes, we'll scud hibs as that's what we do but we'll drop plenty points to the diddy teams like we've been doing for the last 5 years. 

I think safe pair of hands Coach Neilson will guide us to a steady Eddie 7th or 8th and get no further than the qtrs. of both cups, semi in the diddy at the very best.

Mars plastic
26 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Your patter was much better back in the "Blue is the colour" days, got tired and tedious towards the end.

A similar pattern is emerging.  😔

I can't recall you ever being anything other than tired and tedious so I'm faring somewhat better than thee.

1 hour ago, Gary Locke said:

For some reason everytime we go through to Celtic or rangers in recent seasons we get skudded... even Hamilton put up a better fight than us

It seems to be the mindset, game plan not to concede early, when we do we collapse. Let's hope that changes this season and we are set up to have a go.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's amazing what 5 clean sheets in April will do for morale.

And a realism about who those teams were and huge credit to CG.

Maple Leaf
3 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

And a realism about who those teams were and huge credit to CG.

Yes.  That takes the shine off it a wee bit.

allystrachan

Neilson should target not embarrassing himself in the cups. 

Euro in the league should always be the target. 

If they are actually targets, he needs to make them public. Otherwise he can just make them up at the end of the season. (That's why I'm not wearing this year's "achievement"

Bazzas right boot

I didn't see anything last season to suggest we'll be beating any of the teams who finished in the top 6 regularly. Yes, we'll scud hibs as that's what we do but we'll drop plenty points to the diddy teams like we've been doing for the last 5 years. 

I think safe pair of hands Coach Neilson will guide us to a steady Eddie 7th or 8th and get no further than the qtrs. of both cups, semi in the diddy at the very best.

Great stuff. 

No need to call others that have higher hopes delusional tho. 

Don't be that guy. 

I can't recall you ever being anything other than tired and tedious so I'm faring somewhat better than thee.

At least he's tries to be positive. 

Not like some who depress the hell out of everyone.