New Signing - Ross Stewart

iainmac

Bazzas right boot

The pant wetting on here over a back up keeper has been a brilliant read. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• iainmac

• Hearts1975

• Bazzas right boot

gregzy2k7

Decent signing, he has been signed as an emergency 3rd choice incase we get an injury to gordon or stone who will be 2nd choice very shortly imo. He won't be on much and is an ok goalkeeper.

iantjambo

I don’t think this is as bad a signing as many are making out.

Yes, he was in goal for the Brora and QotS debacles. However, he looked decent back up in the few games he had played before these games.

Jim Panzee
2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Yes, he was in goal for the Brora and QotS debacles. However, he looked decent back up in the few games he had played before these games.

This is where I’m at.

plus - if he has to play he’ll have at least soutter, Kingsley and smith in front of him plus hopefully another quality CB

2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Pretty much how I see it. I’ll await to see the quality of player expected to make the first 11 before I lose my mind. Don’t remember too many complaints about him when he played until the whole team decided to turn in some pretty dire performances. Still as long as it gives people an excuse to have a go at RN then it’s all good. 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I’ll be honest I think it’s a poor signing. Reminds me of when we resigned Doyle. Justification for resigning is nothing to do with football but driven by other factors 

We got relegated in part to having shitty GK’s last year. 

People can justify it by him being cheap or back up or whatever. The bottom line is, imo, he isn’t good enough; not even close. 

GC has been about the only positive this season and is a massive upgrade on what we’ve had between the sticks the last couple of years. However, he turns 40 next year and has a history of injuries. 

It is likely that Stewart will have to play at some point. That doesn’t fill me confidence and if CG received a long term injury, I would be massively concerned with Stewart between sticks for an extended period. 

One of the biggest problems we have is signing sub standard players, in the last couple of years. This trend continues. 

Livingston's 3rd choice being Hearts back up keeper for 2 seasons, sorry 3 until we decide if Stone is first choice or not is a tad worrying, imo.

Gordon only has a peer in MacGregor.  That's great, but where would Stewart rank as back up by other clubs in the Premiership?

3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th?

11 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Decent signing, he has been signed as an emergency 3rd choice incase we get an injury to gordon or stone who will be 2nd choice very shortly imo. He won't be on much and is an ok goalkeeper.

Most rational thing iv ever seen you post 😉 Stone will most likely be on loan at least one more season imo. 

6 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Livingston's 3rd choice being Hearts back up keeper for 2 seasons, sorry 3 until we decide if Stone is first choice or not is a tad worrying, imo.

Gordon only has a peer in MacGregor.  That's great, but where would Stewart rank as back up by other clubs in the Premiership?

3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th?

Considering Doyle is first choice at Killie and is not really better or worse than Stewart 

6 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Can’t say I know all the back up goalkeepers, but considering he was livi’s 3rd choice I would imagine he would be at the bottom end of that table. Which is where we will end up if we get signing players of that quality. 

So what would you do for a back up / roddy mackenzie type? Who do you want to waste resources on? You also know emergency loans are available for keepers?

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Considering Doyle is first choice at Killie and is not really better or worse than Stewart 

When I had a wee look through the clubs, Kilmarnock was the first to jump out a bit.

Just now, DETTY29 said:

When I had a wee look through the clubs, Kilmarnock was the first to jump out a bit.

Just waiting on someone to post and say yh but he plays in the Prem and Tommy Wright picks him so he must be good 🤣 

Id think Stewart knows he’ll be behind Gordon then after that behind Stone and is ok with that. 

Aberdeen have a good goalie then an ok back up. 
Hibs have im not sure what

Celtic have Scott Bain

Rangers two good goalies

The rest couldnt tell you a thing not even a name of any goalkeepers apart from Uniteds first choice goalie is supposedly decent.

The lunacy on here over a Roddy MacKenzie signing is mad

Dennis Reynolds
7 minutes ago, sadj said:

So what would you do for a back up / roddy mackenzie type? Who do you want to waste resources on? You also know emergency loans are available for keepers?

Having to emergency loan another keeper because we didn't sign a good enough replacement keeper would be peak Hearts tbh. 

6 minutes ago, LMc said:

Having to emergency loan another keeper because we didn't sign a good enough replacement keeper would be peak Hearts tbh. 

No its what the system is there for and makes sense . If Gordon is out one or two games Stewart plays. If its a long term injury you bring in a better level of keeper if Stewart looks like he won’t be capable as Stone is prob on loan. In saying that this place is hardly a good judge. Thread after his initial performances was positive. No football , in from the cold v Brora and flaps at the second. Caught too far out by quick thinking against QotS. (Something a lot of keepers do btw - just don’t usually get caught) Now hes the worst signing ever. 

Hes a back up on low wages. People who can’t understand thats a good thing when you have CG and HS its pointless trying to explain too.

edit: someone slated him for Raiths goal in the LC - at the time everyone was wow that was unstoppable - get Duku signed up hes amazing

Edited by sadj

Lucky we were able to test him out this season in a nothing cup game, thus establishing his credentials for a new contract.

Pasquale for King
12 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

The chat is that Stone is going out on loan, leaving the guy who was at partly at fault for probably 2/3 of the 5 goals we lost to Brora and QoTS. If that’s the case we need to hope that our 38 year old GK who won’t have much of a break this summer to play 40 odd games next season. Fingers crossed this cheap deal won’t come back to haunt us. 
It can be viewed as another mediocre squad filler who offers no real quality moving forward. 
An emergency loan signing of the quality of Zlamal/Doyle/Perriera isn’t going to help really if Gordon is our for over a month. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

So, for next year we have

1) an excellent first choice with a record of being injured

2) a young lad, who hasn't even made his debut

3) Livi's ex 3rd choice who couldn't hack it against a non-league team 

and some people are satisfied with this set-up?  

Brick Tamland
18 minutes ago, Candy said:

So, for next year we have

1) an excellent first choice with a record of being injured

2) a young lad, who hasn't even made his debut

3) Livi's ex 3rd choice who couldn't hack it against a non-league team 

and some people are satisfied with this set-up?  

Who do you think we should sign and how much should we spend on him?

43 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Who do you think we should sign and how much should we spend on him?

C'mon, don't be ridiculous.   I'm neither a scout or someone who is privy to the finances of the club. 

l, like you have no idea what we are spending on Stewart, but I have seen him play and he is not good enough.

If CG (or another keeper) had been in goals v Brora we could very well still be in the SC and with a reasonable chance of winning it.  What value do you place on that?

There is not even an acceptance of mediocrity in our signing policy, there is an acceptance of shiteness and has been for the last few years.

Brick Tamland
3 hours ago, Candy said:

C'mon, don't be ridiculous.   I'm neither a scout or someone who is privy to the finances of the club. 

l, like you have no idea what we are spending on Stewart, but I have seen him play and he is not good enough.

If CG (or another keeper) had been in goals v Brora we could very well still be in the SC and with a reasonable chance of winning it.  What value do you place on that?

There is not even an acceptance of mediocrity in our signing policy, there is an acceptance of shiteness and has been for the last few years.

How am I being ridiculous? 

You have had a go at the club for signing a back up keeper to the best keeper in the league, for having a young lad who hasn't made his debut but who has had some rave reviews for the club he is out on loan to, but you can't come up with a keepers name on who we should sign.

That's just moaning for the sake of moaning.

18 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

How am I being ridiculous? 

You have had a go at the club for signing a back up keeper to the best keeper in the league, for having a young lad who hasn't made his debut but who has had some rave reviews for the club he is out on loan to, but you can't come up with a keepers name on who we should sign.

That's just moaning for the sake of moaning.

Behave. 

Do you really expect me to have a full list of goalkeepers who are available signing targets within a budget that I don't know about. Get real.

Brick Tamland
40 minutes ago, Candy said:

Behave. 

Do you really expect me to have a full list of goalkeepers who are available signing targets within a budget that I don't know about. Get real.

No, I am saying you are moaning for the sake of moaning and haven't come up with one single goalkeeper who may be within our price range - would you take the Kilmarnock goalkeeper for example?

Brick Tamland
On 04/05/2021 at 23:07, Smith's right boot said:

The pant wetting on here over a back up keeper has been a brilliant read. 

Exactly

8 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

No, I am saying you are moaning for the sake of moaning and haven't come up with one single goalkeeper who may be within our price range - would you take the Kilmarnock goalkeeper for 

Christ, will it ever sink in that I don't spend my working life analysing goalkeepers?

I'm not happy because of the significant part he played in then worst result in our history. Any actual Hearts fan that actually watched the game would know this.

Saint Jambo
10 hours ago, sadj said:

In saying that this place is hardly a good judge. Thread after his initial performances was positive. No football , in from the cold v Brora and flaps at the second. Caught too far out by quick thinking against QotS. (Something a lot of keepers do btw - just don’t usually get caught) Now hes the worst signing ever. 

edit: someone slated him for Raiths goal in the LC - at the time everyone was wow that was unstoppable - get Duku signed up hes amazing

I've criticised him for the goal against Raith. But I was questioning him before the Brora game. I challenge anyone to go back to those two league cup games and tell us what the evidence was from those games to demonstrate he is a good keeper. Or indeed from any of the games he has played for us so far. It will be a struggle as he is yet to make a save of note while having let in 8 goals.

After 2 games I was dubious, but willing to accept the management team's judgement. After 4 games I think the evidence is stronger. Given that he is out of contract I'm in favour of releasing him and finding a similar priced alternative.

To demonstrate I've been consistent, here is what I posted in February:

"But confused that people have been able to come to a firm judgement that he is better than Zlamal (cheaper I'd hope) or that it shows how bad our recruitment was last year that he was available all this time. He has played the sum total of 2 games for us, against Raith and East Fife in the league cup. In those games he faced 6 shots on target. 3 were goals, while one of the others was him failing to do more with a shot from range than leave it on a plate for a tap in on the follow-up. Definitely at fault for that goal. The Raith goal was a good finish but did beat him at his near post. 50/50 as to whether he was to blame. The second East Fife goal was a good through ball and poor defending, but the attacker ran in on goal from the edge of the box and was able to finish without Stewart leaving his 6 yard box, which didn't look clever. Of the other two saves, one was a long range trundle against Raith and the other didn't make the highlights."

Paul Gallagher is the common factor in our s*** fest of a goalkeeping situation that has now thrown a 2 year deal at a keeper that IMHO doesn't look upto the job, he has obviously seen something in Stewart that all others cannot. 

FFS what is going on at HMFC get them both out the door before it's too late,  oh wait rofl. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Is this thread still going? People are genuinely still angry about it 😄 Proof that kickback is in no way reflective of the real world. Imagine getting het up about a 2nd probably 3rd choice goalie during a period when we have many more signing priorities.

FFS we won the cup with a 35 year old goalie with nowhere near the pedigree of Gordon. We won another cup with a guy who had hung around our reserves for 10 years without getting a good run in the team and who I'm sure had made some mistakes during that time when called on. Craziness . Goalie is our strongest position now and folk are still moaning.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 hour ago, NLTFTh said:

Paul Gallagher is the common factor in our s*** fest of a goalkeeping situation that has now thrown a 2 year deal at a keeper that IMHO doesn't look upto the job, he has obviously seen something in Stewart that all others cannot. 

FFS what is going on at HMFC get them both out the door before it's too late,  oh wait rofl. 

Where have you copied and pasted that from? 

On another notes do we bin Craig Gordon too because he was raving about Stewart?

davemclaren
1 hour ago, NLTFTh said:

I assume Joe Savage was ok with it as well.  

Guest ToqueJambo

For as long as Man Utd still have Joel Perreira on their books (apparently they still do), I'm not sure who our reserve goalie is is much of an issue.

kingantti1874

One of the big reasons we were relegated was poor goalkeepers yes? I think we all agree on that.

one injury to Gordon, one suspension and we have to rely on this guy. Who’s proven we can’t rely on him.

he’s not very good

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, NLTFTh said:

We might need to wait until Gordon takes his job in a few years.