Footballers mental health

Footballfirst

And the charmer who is alleged to have made the comment is on the sex offenders register for secretly filming a woman having sex and showing people the video. An all round scumbag. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And the charmer who is alleged to have made the comment is on the sex offenders register for secretly filming a woman having sex and showing people the video. An all round scumbag. 

did not know that ffs 

If the allegations are found to be true there is no place in society never mind professional sport for scum like this .hope he gets the book thrown at him

Footballfirst

Albion Rovers has come out in support of David Cox, and in so doing confirming that the allegations are true.

Fair play to David for drawing boundaries and knowing when to say "that's enough, it's not worth it anymore". 

Having been on the receiving end of something similar, I know how much it can hit a raw nerve. People mean well when they say "just let it go" or "don't let it bother you", but it's not an easy thing to do. The anger and painful memories that swirl up can be overwhelming and can take time to subside. 

Whether his decision to retire is final or if he changes his mind later on, imo he's a brave guy for doing what he did. 

jamboinglasgow

Its depressing that a player who has raised the issue repeatedly feels no chance of his abuser facing consequences that he has to retire rather than face more abuse.

He is right to compare it to racism and how little authorities do to make those who abuse players, especially other players, face consequences for those actions. The Kamara incident, I found even more shocking, not just because someone was racist with him, but mostly how a player feels they can freely go over to another player in the middle of the game and so brazenly say racist things to them. The same is with this incident, a player can feel they can say horrendous things about a players mental health at a game, knowing they wont face consequences as it will be one players word against the other and the authorities will always er on the side of caution.

StevenNaismith

I was at this game tonight watching young Harry Stone and saw something going on but just assumed the ref was being spoken to about something that had happened on the park. First I heard of this was when I got home. Absolutely disgraceful and the player in question should have the book thrown at him.

Jambo 4 Ever
2 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

I was at this game tonight watching young Harry Stone and saw something going on but just assumed the ref was being spoken to about something that had happened on the park. First I heard of this was when I got home. Absolutely disgraceful and the player in question should have the book thrown at him.

How did stone play?

StevenNaismith
23 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

How did stone play?

He was excellent. Gonna have a big future in the game.

Салатные палочки

Think he names the wrong player in the video at one point. 

12 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Think he names the wrong player in the video at one point. 

Yeah he used the incorrect first name as that is a player at thistle 

Салатные палочки
12 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Yeah he used the incorrect first name as that is a player at thistle 

Ordinarily that wouldn't be an issue but a lot of people who don't know about football will be all over this and it would be horrible for the wrong guy to get any abuse over this. 

Batistuta87

JONATHAN Tiffoney, not Scott. 

Prick. Big ban coming his way hopefully. 

Edited by Batistuta87

I’ve seen David Cox play a couple times and he was a bit of a lunatic on the park even got sent of against hearts u20 few seasons ago. But this is horrible I have seen videos he has done in the past about mental health he’s right nothing will be done about it by the refs on the park or the Sfa if it gets reported and taken further brushed under the carpet like many things what happen in Scottish football .

Seems David has decided to retire from football now.

Absolutely disgusting. Hopefully David plays again and Jonathan Tiffoney doesn't kick a ball for a very long time.

It’s scumbags like Jonathon that make men not want to talk about their mental health problems.

Edited by Chaps

Hope that the refs do report this and the SFA/SPFL take action. They must not sweep it under the carpet. Really hope there are witnesses and Tiffoney gets a serious ban. 

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Shame for the guy. The alleged offender seems quite the charmer too. 

Goes to show though, that when guy's like Cox who're brave enough to speak out about their own troubles & insecurities, it seems like mental health is only highlighted then & discussed. 

Same as when Sean Clare was going through a bit of a hard time & employed a sports psychologist. The stigma of being a "weakling mentally" or closely associated phrasing was quite prevalent on here at the time, iirc. Which was very disappointing.

We have an excellent thread on mental health & depression on the forum, with great advice from posters & info. You never truly know what's going on with a person, & dismissive attitudes don't help the situation.

I'd encourage anyone who's suffering & hasn't perhaps yet read that thread, to do so. And too also seek the appropriate medical advice. Suffering in silence & feeling maybe a sense embarrassment talking about your MH, needn't be the case anymore.

Where is this thread mate ?

davemclaren
Just now, Footballfirst said:
@StenhousemuirFC have referred the matter to the @ScottishFA and started their own investigation.

Stenny have a least taken one step in the right direction, but they should sack their player if the allegation is confirmed.

If there are no witnesses then, unless the guy admits it ( which is unlikely ), then it’s hard to see much happening. 

If the guy said it, and let’s be honest why would the lad lie, then he is a complete scum bag. 

Having suffered mental health problems for the first time in my life due to the pandemic (I won’t be the only one) this infuriates me. Imagine saying that to someone ffs. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Kidd’s Boots

Very proud of the steps taken by David Cox over this matter. Removing himself from a toxic situation that could result in real detriment to his own well being takes true guts, to recognise he is not the problem takes real insight, and to move on takes real strength. 

Unless you have visited these dark corners, it’s almost impossible to empathise fully. 

Hats off to you David, keep strong. 

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

JONATHAN Tiffoney, not Scott. 

Prick. Big ban coming his way hopefully. 

Banned sine die from all football would be a start. 

56 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56940793

"Both players are making claims of serious and wholly inappropriate comments being made during the game that have implications for player wellbeing and mental health.

I wonder what, if anything at all, was said by Cox. 

Possibly lashed out in return about the other players offences that were mentioned at the start of the thread or he knows hes in shit for comments to Cox so is making it up

Edited by sadj

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:
@StenhousemuirFC have referred the matter to the @ScottishFA and started their own investigation.

Stenny have a least taken one step in the right direction, but they should sack their player if the allegation is confirmed.

Stennie hinting that it wasnt just one way verbals though.

Hope they get to the truth of it all and hammer guilty parties.

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Stennie hinting that it wasnt just one way verbals though.

Hope they get to the truth of it all and hammer guilty parties.

Even if the verbals were 2 way, he should be sacked if he said these things, no excuses at all 

Jambof3tornado
5 minutes ago, lou said:

Even if the verbals were 2 way, he should be sacked if he said these things, no excuses at all 

Think the facts of it all need to be made very clear but agree if whats been reported as being said was said Tiffoney should be held accountable.

There will be a wee statement released by the arsehole that said those things saying something along the lines of "I deeply apologise, that's not who I am, and I am sorry for the offence I have caused" - as always happens with these kind of things, and nothing will change. 

What a bellend. 

Edited by tian447

No Idle Talk

Obviously what was said to Cox was not nice. I hope he will return to football. And I am certainly not seeking to defend Jonathon Tiffoney. He sounds like a bit of a shady character.

Whenever I hear a story like this though, my first thought(perhaps wrongly) is to think about the hypocrisy of some people's reactions to it and how the reaction to it fits in within the culture of football as a whole. Particularly with respect to fan culture and behaviour.

This story first came to my attention when it appeared on my Facebook feed. It was posted by a Celtic supporting friend of mine and commented on by another Celtic supporting friend of mine. Now I know for a stone cold fact that during the course of watching football matches in the not too distant past that they have said things equally as bad, or maybe even worse, than what Jonathon Tiffoney said. Yet they are outraged by this story and think Tiffoney is a "scumbag". A tad hypocritical, no?(And, full disclosure, while attending football matches in years gone by, and in the heat of the moment, I have shouted and sung things that were questionable to say the least towards opposition fans and players. I am not proud of that but it is a fact. And I was far from the only person in the stadium shouting or singing such things).

I have seen comments on this forum and heard people comment in pubs that they love going to a match where the atmosphere is really hostile and the stadium is like a bear pit for 90 minutes. I totally get that. There is something very unhealthy about such atmospheres but at the same time they can be exhilarating, especially when your team wins and you can get it right round the opposition. But in such atmospheres there are plenty of things shouted and sung by both players and supporters that are just as bad as what was said to David Cox here. For right or wrong, I think that is fair to say. I would estimate that 99% of these things are said in the heat of the moment and that people do not really mean them. But that may also have been true in the case of Jonathon Tiffoney. Who knows? Obviously I doubt the stadium was much of a bear pit at a Stenhousemuir v Albion Rovers match but emotions between the two players involved were obviously quite heated and that's why this incident occurred. So it is the same principle fundamentally.

So, apart from feeling bad for David Cox, my interest in this story is what it says about the type of atmosphere/environment people want to see at football in the future. I just think it raises some interesting questions about what people who attend football now view as acceptable and unacceptable compared to days gone by. Should players and fans be held to different standards in what they can say during a football match for example? If the answer is yes then I'm not sure how fair that is. If the answer is no then, having heard the abuse certain Hearts players receive at Parkhead or Easter Road, and having heard the abuse certain Celtic and Hibernian players have received at Tynecastle, my conclusion is that we will end up with a lot of supporters banned from Scottish Football grounds if we are booting Tiffoney out of football for this incident. 

*I have read this post back and I am not sure I have explained what I am getting at very well. I think the nub of my point is that a lot of fans enjoy football matches where the atmosphere is edgy and even a little bit nasty. On those days/evenings I know that a lot things are said and sung by supporters that would be every bit as bad as what Jonathon Tiffoney said. Yet the reaction to this story has been quite strong from what I have seen so far. There's an inconsistency there. Does that make sense? 

I just think it raises some interesting points for discussion.

Edited by No Idle Talk

9 hours ago, Chaps said:

Seems David has decided to retire from football now.

Absolutely disgusting. Hopefully David plays again and Jonathan Tiffoney doesn't kick a ball for a very long time.

It’s scumbags like Jonathon that make men not want to talk about their mental health problems.

Sorry, but why is this lad being condemned without his story being told. For all we know Cox was saying things every bit as bad as the this Tiffoney guy. 

49 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Obviously what was said to Cox was not nice. I hope he will return to football. And I am certainly not seeking to defend Jonathon Tiffoney. He sounds like a bit of a shady character.

Whenever I hear a story like this though, my first thought(perhaps wrongly) is to think about the hypocrisy of some people's reactions to it and how the reaction to it fits in within the culture of football as a whole. Particularly with respect to fan culture and behaviour.

This story first came to my attention when it appeared on my Facebook feed. It was posted by a Celtic supporting friend of mine and commented on by another Celtic supporting friend of mine. Now I know for a stone cold fact that during the course of watching football matches in the not too distant past that they have said things equally as bad, or maybe even worse, than what Jonathon Tiffoney said. Yet they are outraged by this story and think Tiffoney is a "scumbag". A tad hypocritical, no?(And, full disclosure, while attending football matches in years gone by, and in the heat of the moment, I have shouted and sung things that were questionable to say the least towards opposition fans and players. I am not proud of that but it is a fact. And I was far from the only person in the stadium shouting or singing such things).

I have seen comments on this forum and heard people comment in pubs that they love going to a match where the atmosphere is really hostile and the stadium is like a bear pit for 90 minutes. I totally get that. There is something very unhealthy about such atmospheres but at the same time they can be exhilarating, especially when your team wins and you can get it right round the opposition. But in such atmospheres there are plenty of things shouted and sung by both players and supporters that are just as bad as what was said to David Cox here. For right or wrong, I think that is fair to say. I would estimate that 99% of these things are said in the heat of the moment and that people do not really mean them. But that may also have been true in the case of Jonathon Tiffoney. Who knows? Obviously I doubt the stadium was much of a bear pit at a Stenhousemuir v Albion Rovers match but emotions between the two players involved were obviously quite heated and that's why this incident occurred. So it is the same principle fundamentally.

So, apart from feeling bad for David Cox, my interest in this story is what it says about the type of atmosphere/environment people want to see at football in the future. I just think it raises some interesting questions about what people who attend football now view as acceptable and unacceptable compared to days gone by. Should players and fans be held to different standards in what they can say during a football match for example? If the answer is yes then I'm not sure how fair that is. If the answer is no then, having heard the abuse certain Hearts players receive at Parkhead or Easter Road, and having heard the abuse certain Celtic and Hibernian players have received at Tynecastle, my conclusion is that we will end up with a lot of supporters banned from Scottish Football grounds if we are booting Tiffoney out of football for this incident. 

*I have read this post back and I am not sure I have explained what I am getting at very well. I think the nub of my point is that a lot of fans enjoy football matches where the atmosphere is edgy and even a little bit nasty. On those days/evenings I know that a lot things are said and sung by supporters that would be every bit as bad as what Jonathon Tiffoney said. Yet the reaction to this story has been quite strong from what I have seen so far. There's an inconsistency there. Does that make sense? 

You do make sense. I’m not sure just banning this guy will help anything but the baying mob. People make really poor choices at times. Personally I’d like to see a sit down with them both and let David explain to him how stupid and hurtful the comments were. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, No Idle Talk said:

You make valid points about hypocrisy, but the way I look at is that those who attend football matches generally exhibit their prejudices as part of a crowd, as they feel that there is safety in numbers.

There are relatively few who are prepared to stand up on their own either in public or in a stadium and make racist, homophobic, misogynistic rants, as people will now call them out for it.

That wasn't always the case as I remember football chants about Bobby Moore, Jimmy Hill, and racist stuff about multiple black players in the 70s and 80s.

The fact is that there is now much less tolerance across society, particularly through changes in the use of language and certain derogatory terms.

More recently fans have targeted Scott Brown and Leigh Griffiths, but I do believe that there is a greater willingness by the majority of fans to shout it down.

Where last night's incident is different from the crowd actions, is that it is one on one, player to player.  We saw the outcry with the Kamara/Kudela incidents, ultimately resulting in extended bans for both players (there is an argument that the punishment should be more severe). That approach is required for incidents such as last night if culpability is determined. 

Mental health has become a huge issue for many in recent years and has impacted on their day to day lives.  To ridicule an individual's bad experiences is, to me, equally unacceptable as making racist or homophobic comments.

I purposely avoided including sectarian abuse in this post, as it is worthy of a thread on its own as there has been little progress on stamping it out over decades.    

Edited by Footballfirst

No Idle Talk
15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

You make valid points about hypocrisy, but the way I look at is that those who attend football matches generally exhibit their prejudices as part of a crowd, as they feel that there is safety in numbers.

There are relatively few who are prepared to stand up on their own either in public or in a stadium and make racist, homophobic, misogynistic rants, as people will now call them out for it.

That wasn't always the case as I remember football chants about Bobby Moore, Jimmy Hill, and racist stuff about multiple black players in the 70s and 80s.

The fact is that there is now much less tolerance across society, particularly through changes in the use of language and certain derogatory terms.

More recently fans have targeted Scott Brown and Leigh Griffiths, but I do believe that there is a greater willingness by the majority of fans to shout it down.

Where last night's incident is different from the crowd actions, is that it is one on one, player to player.  We saw the outcry with the Kamara/Kudela incidents, ultimately resulting in extended bans for both players (there is an argument that the punishment should be more severe). That approach is required for incidents such as last night if culpability is determined. 

Mental health has become a huge issue for many in recent years and has impacted on their day to day lives.  To ridicule an individual's bad experiences is, to me, equally unacceptable as making racist or homophobic comments.

I purposely avoided including sectarian abuse in this post, as it is worthy of a thread on its own as there has been little progress on stamping it out over decades.    

Interesting post.

Obviously there have been societal changes since the 70's/80's that have affected people's attitudes and behaviour. I don't think all of these have been good(either inside or outside football grounds) but that is another debate.

Obviously it is good that we no longer see incidences where black players are having bananas thrown at them when they take corner kicks. That was horrendous. And somewhat surreal when I think back on it, having been there that day. The racism thing felt more sinister back then because there were so few black players in Scottish Football. It felt like it was really meant. Nowadays if I heard a racist comment at a match I would just put it down to stupidity because black players are so prevalent within the Scottish game and if they are good players they will most likely be well enough liked by the idiot making the racist comment. 

It's interesting you raised Scott Brown as the thing with his sister was in my mind as I was posting. For all that Brown is a tadger on the park, that stuff has never sat well with me. 

I think the only thing I would say that is I hope there doesn't come a day when going to the football is 'too' sanitised. I don't want to see people being huckled or treated as an unsavoury element for swearing for example. Sometimes I worry that is the direction we are heading in. 

• 3 weeks later...
Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, Newton51 said:

This guy has been released by his club too. Shocking behaviour 

Hopefully never play football again 

• 1 month later...
On 27/06/2021 at 22:21, cookieboy said:

pleased to say David is back playing football for Brechin under Andy Kirk and Craig Levein . 

Good to hear

Footballfirst
On 27/06/2021 at 22:21, cookieboy said:

pleased to say David is back playing football for Brechin under Andy Kirk and Craig Levein . 

Signing now confirmed.

Spellczech
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Signing now confirmed.

TBF Levein will have his back and flatten anyone who needs flattened.