• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enzo Chiefo

• JudyJudyJudy

• Governor Tarkin

• ri Alban

maroonlegions
14 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I think the judge in the case referred to (the 70 year olds charged with killing an IRA leader) has in effect thrown the case out. Thankfully.

181680200_317221159767535_5928534485734549437_n.jpg

coconut doug
14 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

If Carlsberg did factually incorrect posts, dripping with seethe and bitterness...

The EU deal that you slate is the same deal that a separate would be trading on with rUK. That represents 65% of our trade. Still support separation?

Your blatant disregard and lack of empathy towards the hospitality industry, beggars belief. You obviously know nothing about business which probably explains your liking of totalitarian states like the old Soviet Union. Oppress and control the people with centralised control and crumbs for the masses.

Business owners risk their own money, employ people, invest, expand , turn a profit and pay taxes. Without them, there would be NO freebies.

Furlough was a temporary sop to save jobs, it didn’t help owners who were losing money hand over fist. There is no substitute for trading, none at all.  Eat Out to Help Out was a fantastic success and your spurious claims about costing lives bears no resemblance to reality. University students traversing the country before living cheek by jowl in super spreading halls of residences seems a more likely cause, don't you think?

What is factually incorrect in my post? 

I'm bemused by your 65% comment. What does it mean/imply? I think you missed the point entirely. The deal is very bad for UK not the EU which i understand is not having difficulty exporting to UK. 

Sorry if i dont have empathy toward the hospitality industry i didn'y realise such things were a prerequisite of civilised behaviour. Are there any other "industries" i should empathise with? I don't want to see people lose their jobs or fall on hard times but i have little empathy or sympathy with the predators who have squeezed out the independent traders. Do you really think there is enough empathy around to spare some for Mcdonalds, Wetherspoons and Whitbread? Am i supposed to feel the pain of their shareholders who have now seen their share prices return to almost prepandemic levels while still being closed? What about the employees who are disproportionately compensated through the iniquitous furlough scheme because they are poorly paid in normal times?

Furlough helped owners because they did not have to pay wages to staff when the businesses might have been making a loss relying on resticted trade opportunities. The businesses could just close. 

We know all industries have to invest and pay wages, taxes etc, so what? If we give money to support the hospitality industry where does that money come from? Who suffers as a result. If the companies can't ride out the crisis why should i support them? I will never eat in Mcdonalds or sleep in a Premier Inn.

The link you made this morning shows that Eat out to help out resulted in increased infection. (the actual report, not the daily mail distortion). Full fact agrees https://fullfact.org/news/did-eat-out-help-out-cause-covid-spread/  Common sense tells you that if more people are meeting socially and remaining together for long periods of time then there will be increased infection.

There is no doubt students increased the incidence all movements and social interactions did. Student s were a largely homogenous group though, with much a smaller personal risk. The rise in infection rates was already rapid before universities returned. The rapid rise started towards the end of the Eat out scheme.

Where do you get the idea that i have a liking for totalitarian states from? You think i want to oppress the masses and give them crumbs. I don't. You know nothing about my involvement in business either.

JudyJudyJudy
17 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I gave up trying to work out the Scottish electorate years ago. They are a lost cause. They voted Labour for decades regardless; their grandfathers wouldn't have forgiven them if they hadn't.  Now, with freebies, thanks to the fiscal transfers mind you, and a bit of old fashioned "chip on the shoulder " hypnotism,  the baton has been passed on to the SNP. Doesn’t matter how much they run the country into the ground, it's got to be "wir Nicola". It's a pathetic indictment of the electorate and certainly shouldn't be taken as a badge of honour.

There is very little difference in approach nor outcomes in relation to Scot/rUK Covid handling. Out of date PPE, emptying of positive patients into care homes, cover ups, **** ups, it's all been the same. The vaccine procurement was a triumph and that's what matters to most. Not that it's much consolation nor should it be competitive but the UK, from having one of the highest death rates in the world are much lower now.

Eat Out to Help Out was a fantastic success too and enjoyed by millions.  Hopefully we see another one this year.

👍

15 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

If Carlsberg did factually incorrect posts, dripping with seethe and bitterness...

The EU deal that you slate is the same deal that a separate would be trading on with rUK. That represents 65% of our trade. Still support separation?

Your blatant disregard and lack of empathy towards the hospitality industry, beggars belief. You obviously know nothing about business which probably explains your liking of totalitarian states like the old Soviet Union. Oppress and control the people with centralised control and crumbs for the masses.

Business owners risk their own money, employ people, invest, expand , turn a profit and pay taxes. Without them, there would be NO freebies.

Furlough was a temporary sop to save jobs, it didn’t help owners who were losing money hand over fist. There is no substitute for trading, none at all.  Eat Out to Help Out was a fantastic success and your spurious claims about costing lives bears no resemblance to reality. University students traversing the country before living cheek by jowl in super spreading halls of residences seems a more likely cause, don't you think?

15 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

😂. Cheers Guv. That's 1 vote nearer to me not losing my deposit 👍

LOL 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Some thread! :laugh:

Anyway, one day the politically interested might get it re Johnson. The politically interested are a minority and the politically uninterested see a classic loveable rogue in the mold of Del Boy or Arthur Daley. Hence, Johnson is popular.

The whole Boris the loveable buffoon is a crock of shite. He is a racist, a liar, a serial adulterer and yet he still remains popular in England. The last 6 words are the best reason for independence 

Which thread is it we note today that the press is claiming?

He was given money by a Tory Donor to renovate the flat, but didn't declare as he should have.

He then took out a commercial loan to pay back whoever, but didn't declare it as he should have it.

Asking Tory donors to pay for his nanny.

Having said that Greensill (OK not BJ) and 'pile bodies' are infinitely god knows how many times worse.

Edited by DETTY29

Governor Tarkin
15 hours ago, Smithee said:

Zing? 🤔

I'm unfamiliar with this terminology.

20 minutes ago, XB52 said:

He is a racist, a liar, a serial adulterer, and yet remains a PHM.

:jj:

Enzo Chiefo
5 hours ago, coconut doug said:

What is factually incorrect in my post? 

I'm bemused by your 65% comment. What does it mean/imply? I think you missed the point entirely. The deal is very bad for UK not the EU which i understand is not having difficulty exporting to UK. 

Sorry if i dont have empathy toward the hospitality industry i didn'y realise such things were a prerequisite of civilised behaviour. Are there any other "industries" i should empathise with? I don't want to see people lose their jobs or fall on hard times but i have little empathy or sympathy with the predators who have squeezed out the independent traders. Do you really think there is enough empathy around to spare some for Mcdonalds, Wetherspoons and Whitbread? Am i supposed to feel the pain of their shareholders who have now seen their share prices return to almost prepandemic levels while still being closed? What about the employees who are disproportionately compensated through the iniquitous furlough scheme because they are poorly paid in normal times?

Furlough helped owners because they did not have to pay wages to staff when the businesses might have been making a loss relying on resticted trade opportunities. The businesses could just close. 

We know all industries have to invest and pay wages, taxes etc, so what? If we give money to support the hospitality industry where does that money come from? Who suffers as a result. If the companies can't ride out the crisis why should i support them? I will never eat in Mcdonalds or sleep in a Premier Inn.

The link you made this morning shows that Eat out to help out resulted in increased infection. (the actual report, not the daily mail distortion). Full fact agrees https://fullfact.org/news/did-eat-out-help-out-cause-covid-spread/  Common sense tells you that if more people are meeting socially and remaining together for long periods of time then there will be increased infection.

There is no doubt students increased the incidence all movements and social interactions did. Student s were a largely homogenous group though, with much a smaller personal risk. The rise in infection rates was already rapid before universities returned. The rapid rise started towards the end of the Eat out scheme.

Where do you get the idea that i have a liking for totalitarian states from? You think i want to oppress the masses and give them crumbs. I don't. You know nothing about my involvement in business either.

The chances of catching Covid from visiting a hospitality premises was confirmed to be "relatively low" by SAGE.  That blows a hole in your unfounded allegations that Eat Out to Help Out was responsible for increased deaths and illnesses.  It was a fantastic success and a deserved boost to the beleaguered business owners who have had to use their own savings to stay afloat while govt paid workers to do nothing. An unsustainable position in any economically literate country. 

The 65% figure is the percentage of our trade that relies on the UK single market,  our most important and biggest market by a country mile. If it is claimed it is a disaster that a mere 16% of our trade, with the EU, is subject to the UK/EU trade deal, why would any sane person then want to separate from the UK and subject 65% of our trade to the same terms?? Go figure.

The EU are only allowed to export because of UK goodwill. That will likely change if the EU don't start behaving like grown ups in terms of the Northern Ireland position.  They will suffer just as much as rUK, especially in a few years when their fishing boats can be denied access to our waters. 

Konrad von Carstein
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The chances of catching Covid from visiting a hospitality premises was confirmed to be "relatively low" by SAGE.  That blows a hole in your unfounded allegations that Eat Out to Help Out was responsible for increased deaths and illnesses.  It was a fantastic success and a deserved boost to the beleaguered business owners who have had to use their own savings to stay afloat while govt paid workers to do nothing. An unsustainable position in any economically literate country. 

The 65% figure is the percentage of our trade that relies on the UK single market,  our most important and biggest market by a country mile. If it is claimed it is a disaster that a mere 16% of our trade, with the EU, is subject to the UK/EU trade deal, why would any sane person then want to separate from the UK and subject 65% of our trade to the same terms?? Go figure.

The EU are only allowed to export because of UK goodwill. That will likely change if the EU don't start behaving like grown ups in terms of the Northern Ireland position.  They will suffer just as much as rUK, especially in a few years when their fishing boats can be denied access to our waters. 

I would proffer that this is a huge oversimplification of a situation that not many on this side of the Irish sea truly know much about...I guess it is not an exaggeration to say lives may be at stake...

Weakened Offender

Enzo really liked the Eat Out To Help Out scheme, eh? Incredible reading. 😁

I see labour have narrowed the gap in the Polls to the Tories to 1%, in England. 

maroonlegions
8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I see labour have narrowed the gap in the Polls to the Tories to 1%, in England. 

More down to Boris acting like he is above the law than the current Labour leader i think.  But any slips in their lead overall is welcomed.

4 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

More down to Boris acting like he is above the law than the current Labour leader i think.  But any slips in their lead overall is welcomed.

He's now moaning that he doesn't get paid enough. Keep it coming Boris. 

Enzo Chiefo
4 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Enzo really liked the Eat Out To Help Out scheme, eh? Incredible reading. 😁

Yes, certainly did WO. I realise that certain flaws in the Scottish pschye don't allow for any praise to be lavished on any Tooooaaary initiatives but EOTHO was  a belter! It was a lifesaver for the hospitality industry and the public wellbeing

8 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

It's a sad indictment on Labour that they can't skelp this bunch of goons in the polls.

Better, but not by much. Starmer stands for nothing, they'd be as well saving the money and putting up an empty suit for all the difference it would make.

Edited by Taffin

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, certainly did WO. I realise that certain flaws in the Scottish pschye don't allow for any praise to be lavished on any Tooooaaary initiatives but EOTHO was  a belter! It was a lifesaver for the hospitality industry and the public wellbeing

I enjoyed eat out to help out too. What's not to enjoy? Half price excuse to get out for some food and drink and support your local business. 

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, Taffin said:

I enjoyed eat out to help out too. What's not to enjoy? Half price excuse to get out for some food and drink and support your local business. 

Exactly, Taffin. 👍

Just now, Taffin said:

Yip, and it brought the pension pot down anaw. 128000 dead. I hope your meal was worth it. 👍

doctor jambo
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He's now moaning that he doesn't get paid enough. Keep it coming Boris. 

He doesn’t get paid enough.

it’s that simple.

we have never got past the “rich people running the country “ phase.

wsges should be commensurate with responsibility, otherwise how are you going to attract worthy people if you expect them to take a massive wage drop ?

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Nope. It was a cheap, tawdry gimmick. People would have went out anyway, to suggest otherwise is just daft. 

Unless you're a cheapskate, mooching chancer. 😊

Enzo Chiefo
15 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Nope. It was a cheap, tawdry gimmick. People would have went out anyway, to suggest otherwise is just daft. 

Unless you're a cheapskate, mooching chancer. 😊

Much like baby boxes, free bikes, laptops, paracetamol, sanitary products then ...

Weakened Offender
14 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Much like baby boxes, free bikes, laptops, paracetamol, sanitary products then ...

I wouldn't describe ensuring some of the poorest females in society having access to adequate sanitary products as cheap, tawdry or gimmicky but then I'm not the guy who thinks the treasury subsidising his dinner for a month excuses the worst PM in history's complete disregard for tens of thousands of people dying well before their time. 😊

Edited by Weakened Offender

Unknown user
39 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

He doesn’t get paid enough.

it’s that simple.

we have never got past the “rich people running the country “ phase.

wsges should be commensurate with responsibility, otherwise how are you going to attract worthy people if you expect them to take a massive wage drop ?

If they're rich why do they need paid more? 🤔

Unknown user
Just now, BarneyBattles said:

I think DJ was suggesting it will always be rich people running the country as highly talented people who were not born into wealth wouldn’t do the job for the salary on offer - but I could be talking shoite😀

I personally don’t think politicians do get paid enough although the pension and allowances are pretty decent. 

But if they're earning 800k a year surely they can afford to slum it for a couple of years earning 5 times the national average.

They get subsidised food, travel, housing, decorating allowances, expenses, employees, they'll have access to highly paid work after.

They can **** off.

JudyJudyJudy
53 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's a sad indictment on Labour that they can't skelp this bunch of goons in the polls.

Better, but not by much. Starmer stands for nothing, they'd be as well saving the money and putting up an empty suit for all the difference it would make.

I prefered Corbyn.  Yes he wasnt everyones cup of tea but he had far more principles than that clown Starmer who just is a corporate zionist stooge. 

52 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Exactly . It was great and plenty classier places participated in it. It wasnt just the shit holes 

13 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I wouldn't describe ensuring some of the poorest females in society having access to adequate sanitary products as cheap, tawdry or gimmicky but then I'm not the guy who thinks the treasury subsidising his dinner for a month excuses the worst PM in history's complete disregard for tens of thousands of people dying well before their time. 😊

The problem that some felt with the sanitary towels issues was where the hell are those girls parents who cannot even afford to buy pads ?  They would rather use monies for others things than save their daughters the indignity of not having some protection? It was viewed as yet again the state IE SG taking over the role of the parent instead of parents taking responsibility. 

21 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The very same SAGE report confirmed transmission in hospitality settings was higher than in shops and gyms, which were open for longer. Blows a hole in your unfounded allegations that it wasn't responsible for any increase in death or illness.

"Overall, data suggest that the hospitality sector, compared to leisure and retail sectors seems to be associated with greater risk of transmission." SAGE Report

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Yip, and it brought the pension pot down anaw. 128000 dead. I hope your meal was worth it. 👍

Absolutely was thanks 👍

Anyone there who caught it made that choice to take that risk.

Weakened Offender
30 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I prefered Corbyn.  Yes he wasnt everyones cup of tea but he had far more principles than that clown Starmer who just is a corporate zionist stooge. 

Exactly . It was great and plenty classier places participated in it. It wasnt just the shit holes 

The problem that some felt with the sanitary towels issues was where the hell are those girls parents who cannot even afford to buy pads ?  They would rather use monies for others things than save their daughters the indignity of not having some protection? It was viewed as yet again the state IE SG taking over the role of the parent instead of parents taking responsibility. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Weakened Offender said:

Must have took you all your time to dredge up that. A double whammy ! Wow im impressed. 

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Must have took you all your time to dredge up that. A double whammy ! Wow im impressed. 

😉

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

Hmmm...I'll go with cheap, tawdry gimmick thanks.  Those who require adequate sanitary products to be provided free by the State should already be on their radar.  The vast majority do not need that assistance.  It was made universal, as a fanfare policy gimmick.

Eat Out on the other hand was a genuine benefit to all, allowing peoole to eat in restaurants they may not have otherwise been able to. Levelling up at it's best.👍

Enzo Chiefo
35 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The very same SAGE report confirmed transmission in hospitality settings was higher than in shops and gyms, which were open for longer. Blows a hole in your unfounded allegations that it wasn't responsible for any increase in death or illness.

"Overall, data suggest that the hospitality sector, compared to leisure and retail sectors seems to be associated with greater risk of transmission." SAGE Report

No it doesn't.  I've never claimed any of those places are associated with transmission.  They, along with hospitality,  are the places that suffered. Public transport, supermarkets, hospitals,  care homes etc weren't locked down and all those will be associated far higher transmission than hospitality, non-essential retail etc. 

SAGE are as well saying that hospitality is higher risk than hiding under the duvet all day.

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No it doesn't.  I've never claimed any of those places are associated with transmission.  They, along with hospitality,  are the places that suffered. Public transport, supermarkets, hospitals,  care homes etc weren't locked down and all those will be associated far higher transmission than hospitality, non-essential retail etc. 

SAGE are as well saying that hospitality is higher risk than hiding under the duvet all day.

Yes it does.

You said it wasn't responsible for any increase. It was.

Public transport, supermarkets, hospitals and care homes are essential and obviously have to stay open, so I'm not sure why you're even bringing them into the mix.

Weakened Offender
28 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Hmmm...I'll go with cheap, tawdry gimmick thanks.  Those who require adequate sanitary products to be provided free by the State should already be on their radar.  The vast majority do not need that assistance.  It was made universal, as a fanfare policy gimmick.

Eat Out on the other hand was a genuine benefit to all, allowing peoole to eat in restaurants they may not have otherwise been able to. Levelling up at it's best.👍

Just to clarify, subsidised pub grub is OK but helping poor girls access adequate health products is EssEnnPee baaaaaaad 😂

coconut doug
On 01/05/2021 at 17:06, JamesM48 said:

Yes. SNP have spun a good myth about Scotland doing " better" than England re CV.  LIke its a competition. Thats how distasteful it is and its also incorrect too. 

It is neither distasteful nor incorrect. Pretending otherwise though falls into that category.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

It is neither distasteful nor incorrect. Pretending otherwise though falls into that category.

So its not distasteful scoring political points from deaths ? hmmmm

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

Just to clarify, subsidised pub grub is OK but helping poor girls access adequate health products is EssEnnPee baaaaaaad 😂

How many poor girls need access to adequate health products?? What did they do before this gimmick was announced?? I would suggest that anyone who is not prioritising the provision of sanitary products for themself, will already be on the radar of social services. 

Great though that the SNP can save so many people in what I was led to believe was a rich, thriving,  vibrant country😂. Half price food though? Top drawer policy.

coconut doug
Just now, JamesM48 said:

So its not distasteful scoring political points from deaths ? hmmmm

Nobody was doing that and anyway how could they if there was no difference?

I'm quite happy to say that Scotland fared better than England and had a much lower death rate than many countries. At the start when Scotland was doing badly there were countless people posting and reposting tables showing how badly Scotland was doing in comparison to other small countries. I suspect they were doing that to criticise the handling of the pandemic not because they were delighted at people dying in Scotland.

Scientists all over the world are comparing responses and outcomes and trying to learn from it, why are Scots not allowed to do the same? Will we hurt their feelings in England if we point out to them how badly they have done? Far better to say nothing and let them carry on making the same mistakes.

Who gloats over deaths and what sort of person would accuse others of doing it? Where's your evidence?

2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I'm quite happy to say that Scotland fared better than England and had a much lower death rate than many countries. At the start when Scotland was doing badly there were countless people posting and reposting tables showing how badly Scotland was doing in comparison to other small countries. I suspect they were doing that to criticise the handling of the pandemic not because they were delighted at people dying in Scotland.

Scientists all over the world are comparing responses and outcomes and trying to learn from it, why are Scots not allowed to do the same? Will we hurt their feelings in England if we point out to them how badly they have done? Far better to say nothing and let them carry on making the same mistakes.

Who gloats over deaths and what sort of person would accuse others of doing it? Where's your evidence?

Have England done badly? In terms of deaths within the first year, yes. But in terms of getting back to normality it's probably going to have done as well as anywhere. Scotland will also return to normality much sooner than most thanks to the UK vaccine procurement.

Weakened Offender
12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

How many poor girls need access to adequate health products?? What did they do before this gimmick was announced?? I would suggest that anyone who is not prioritising the provision of sanitary products for themself, will already be on the radar of social services. 

Great though that the SNP can save so many people in what I was led to believe was a rich, thriving,  vibrant country😂. Half price food though? Top drawer policy.

You're all over the place. As usual. 😊

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Stop it.  Scotland did not fare better than England with lower death rates.  Its just not true.  Even if they did is it relevant ? What is the point of the argument ?  

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Have England done badly? In terms of deaths within the first year, yes. But in terms of getting back to normality it's probably going to have done as well as anywhere. Scotland will also return to normality much sooner than most thanks to the UK vaccine procurement.

Yep we would have been up shit creek if NS had her way and we had been in the EU and the vaccine procurement was stalled. She has backed the wrong team with that one really. . Massive error on her behalf and i wish she would stop going on about Scotland being " dragged out of the EU as it is the will of the people to stay within it". She actually means the will of the 62% who voted. Btw I voted to remain but hate her using to promote Independence. She is using as a trojan horse for Indy. Its so transparent. 

Enzo Chiefo
5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

You're all over the place. As usual. 😊

You're having a nightmare on your return. You came back far too early, well before you were intellectually match fit. ...that's the subs board going up for you now. Catch you later.

coconut doug
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

England was the worst performing country in the world for a while as far as death rate was concerned. They had a very high infection rate and a high proportion of people in hospital which presumably means greater numbers with long covid.

The UK suffered the second biggest fall in GDP among western countries only slightly better than Spain which is massively dependent on tourism. 

To summarise then - when Scotland is tied to England we fail badly e.g. the economy but when we have a good deal of autonomy our outcomes are significantly better pandemic response.

The vaccine situation has been good for the UK but the story is not finished.