***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

How did you feel when she gave Levein about six transfer windows?

Is he still renting free space in your head, Davy?

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

48 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

I think lessons have been learned Robbie will be given first round of matches. She will be much more decisive than she was with Craig Levein and others. Hopefully we now have Joe Savage and signings will be made on ability rather than a recovery project. 

If he was given a remit to get promoted, and he has done, then I think you're probably right.

1 hour ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

I think lessons have been learned Robbie will be given first round of matches. She will be much more decisive than she was with Craig Levein and others. Hopefully we now have Joe Savage and signings will be made on ability rather than a recovery project. 

If lessons had been learned then he would have been away by now.

6 minutes ago, Gambo said:

If lessons had been learned then he would have been away by now.

Very much this.

I feel like I’m watching the same movie just the main character has changed from Cathro to Levein to Neilson.

On 22/04/2021 at 18:43, soonbe110 said:

Heard that Gallagher, Shankland and Paterson (loan) on our radar. 

Gallagher and Paterson would be fantastic business and they are both out of contract.

I dont see Shankland happening unless we get major money in for a player. 

11 minutes ago, Rods said:

Gallagher and Paterson would be fantastic business and they are both out of contract.

which paterson?

Batistuta87
12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

which paterson?

Calum (the one who used to play for us) - from Sheff Wed. Someone has said it'd be expensive loan for us though, due to wage contributions. 

24 minutes ago, Rods said:

Gallagher is. Paterson still has a year left on his (expires summer 2022).

Agree RE Shankland although another poster pointed out that Dundee Utd are skint and might be looking to offload a high earner and will take what they can get. I reckon he'd be sub-£500k, easily. There's a mutual respect between him and Robbie, Robbie is a big fan, he's a Jambo, he's desperate to get into the Scotland squad and might want to move to a bigger club to make it happen, etc etc. So maybe not as pie in the sky as we think.

Although I'm slightly torn as to whether or not I would take him right now - especially if a fee is involved - because he hasn't had a great first season in the top flight and there are questions marks over whether or not he's capable at this level. 

Edited by Batistuta87

iwasthere1954
3 hours ago, Jumper said:

I’m struggling to understand how this thread can exist let alone consider signings etc until that man is gone. I get it that it’s good to speculate - but at this time though? Sorry to be negative.

Why apologise. I thought negative was your middle name.

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Calum (the one who used to play for us) - from Sheff Wed. Someone has said it'd be expensive loan for us though, due to wage contributions. 

Agree RE Shankland although another poster pointed out that Dundee Utd are skint and might be looking to offload a high earner and will take what they can get. I reckon he'd be sub-£500k, easily. There's a mutual respect between him and Robbie, Robbie is a big fan, he's a Jambo, he's desperate to get into the Scotland squad and might want to move to a bigger club to make it happen, etc etc. So maybe not as pie in the sky as we think.

Although I'm slightly torn as to whether or not I would take him right now - especially if a fee is involved - because he hasn't had a great first season in the top flight and there are questions marks over whether or not he's capable at this level. 

Yeh this is where I am at with Shankland. Got a Dennis Wyness feel about it.

I see Gallacher and Boyce are mates from their chat on twitter. I am hoping he can help persuade him to join. Gallacher is probably the best CH in Scotland outwith the OF players. 

7 minutes ago, Rods said:

I see Gallacher and Boyce are mates from their chat on twitter. I am hoping he can help persuade him to join. Gallacher is probably the best CH in Scotland outwith the OF players. 

You never know - maybe we would be the right club for Shankland. I know usually we buy good players and make them rubbish, but it does happen the other way round occasionally. Rudi was never a big goalscorer at any other club - his two spells at Hearts account for over half of his career goal tally.

3 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Just spotted Nevio Scala having a burger at Edinburgh Airport.

He actually wanted the roast chicken, with seasonal veg, and rosemary roasted potatoes with gravy. Sadly he hadn’t learnt how to order it in English yet. 

Batistuta87
38 minutes ago, Rods said:

Aye Boyce appears to be very happy at Hearts so hopefully when they're playing CoD together he's in his ear talking us up lol. His other pal Coll Donaldson would be represent very good value for us as well I think and would be a safe option as cover for Souttar. 

42 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

You never know - maybe we would be the right club for Shankland. I know usually we buy good players and make them rubbish, but it does happen the other way round occasionally. Rudi was never a big goalscorer at any other club - his two spells at Hearts account for over half of his career goal tally.

To be fair to Rudi most of his other clubs rather oddly played him at left back. 

Batistuta87
42 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

He's one of those penalty box type strikers who likes it on a plate and Dundee Utd's service hasn't been quite as effective as it was in the Championship. Maybe with some stronger wingers (like the GMS we saw at the weekend there) and a big target man or a worker alongside him (Gnando/Boyce), he'd do well.  Again though if we're having to spend £300k or whatever on him, I'm not sure I'd feel good about us taking that much of a risk.

3 hours ago, Rods said:

If United don’t get money for Shankland this summer they get virtually nothing for him if he wants to leave in summer 22. I believe they would be delighted to just get him off their books along with a fairly token fee. Final year of his contract is due to cost them upwards of £350k before bonuses. Fee of £150k gives them a £500k windfall in total. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

If United don’t get money for Shankland this summer they get virtually nothing for him if he wants to leave in summer 22. I believe they would be delighted to just get him off their books along with a fairly token fee. Final year of his contract is due to cost them upwards of £350k before bonuses. Fee of £150k gives them a £500k windfall in total. 

I actually did not factor this in to my thinking.

Could be a goer then. 

3 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Shanklands a Jambo?

30 minutes ago, droid said:

Shanklands a Jambo?

No more than Walker is a hun. 

Basically, there is a photo of him kicking about age <10 with a Hearts top on. I think people have jumped to assumptions in the same way that Jamie Walker is a rangers fan because he went to Ibrox and wore a scarf once. 

If he genuinely is a Hearts fan and someone can refer to something beyond that photo then fair dos, but I believe that is the case. 

merseyjambo

I’m sorry but I don’t get the love in with both Gallagher and Shankland.

Gallagher has been hooring himself for a move to Celtic, plus his age goes against him. He’s 30. He’ll be looking for a last big contract. Too often we are bringing in players at the wrong end of their career. We need to be looking at someone younger. Someone has already mentioned Jason Kerr. I’ve said on thread previously that I thought Jamie McCart is someone we should be going after. The other youngster I liked look of in the times I’ve seen him was Jamie Hamilton at Hamilton. Played a full season pretty much in SPL. Looked decent in a poor Hamilton team.

Shankland’s lower league stats can’t be argued with but he’s not exactly been prolific in SPL. Not even 1 in 4. I’m not convinced by him. Guys like Kenny Deuchar, Gavin Riley and Dennis Wyness scored at lower league level but couldn’t do it in SPL. His scoring rate is similar to that of Oli Shaw at Ross County and there’s no way we’d want him. 

Batistuta87

Stevie May has signed a 2yr extension at St Johnstone so there goes one of my suggestions. Would only ever be a squad player / sub at Hearts anyway but that probably is what we're looking for in a striker at the moment - backup. 

10 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Stevie May has signed a 2yr extension at St Johnstone so there goes one of my suggestions. Would only ever be a squad player / sub at Hearts anyway but that probably is what we're looking for in a striker at the moment - backup. 

We need better than just a ‘back-up’ striker.

Lets sign someone who can actually stake a claim for starting matches. This ‘squad fillers’ nonsense is why we have been overloaded with average pish for several years.

5 hours ago, Jamiemac said:

https://t.co/5gMJwrbUMz

wrote this article a few weeks ago ahead of what is inevitably another big summer window... some decisions easier than others. Be good to hear your thoughts

It's amazing how much has changed in the last few weeks!

Personally, I'd like to keep Irving but I wouldn't push the boat out for him – he's been in poor form since contract talks seemed to start.

I do think we need to take a punt on Ginnelly – he's a game changer at this level. I was also under the impression that he hadn't had injury issues before us so I'm not too fussed about his problems this year.

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

To be fair to Rudi most of his other clubs rather oddly played him at left back. 

Yeah, I never quite grasped that either. The guy comes to Hearts, is played as an attacking midfielder, is a total revelation and scores for fun. He then signs for Southampton, managed by the same man who signed him for Hearts... and is played as a left back again. WTF?

22 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Lets sign someone who can actually stake a claim for starting matches. This ‘squad fillers’ nonsense is why we have been overloaded with average pish for several years.

Absolutely 100% this. We don't need players to fill shirts and make up the numbers. 

34 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

:spoton:

Gnando is the back up striker. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Kind of agree, the wild card, battering ram. 

Get a quality striker. 

Batistuta87
45 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We can't just go and fill the squad with cracking players in one window though; we are going to need a couple of cheap options / squad players to get us over the line the next season or two. Ideally I'd like another main striker to go with Boyce and for Gnando to be our impact sub, but we're probably going to have to make do with Boyce and Gnando as our main attackers and someone like the two names mentioned on this thread (May/Melamed) to make up the numbers so to speak and to give those guys a rest when they need it. 

Batistuta87
16 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He should be aye, but as above we will need these squad players to give guys like Boyce a rest when they need it. We can't use top players for that purpose because they won't accept being on the bench. May was just an example of someone who could have filled that role. Not as good as Boyce but still competent enough to actually play if you get me..

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

We can't just go and fill the squad with cracking players in one window though; we are going to need a couple of cheap options / squad players to get us over the line the next season or two. Ideally I'd like another main striker to go with Boyce and for Gnando to be our impact sub, but we're probably going to have to make do with Boyce and Gnando as our main attackers and someone like the two names mentioned on this thread (May/Melamed) to make up the numbers so to speak and to give those guys a rest when they need it. 

This is why we are where we are.

8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

He should be aye, but as above we will need these squad players to give guys like Boyce a rest when they need it. We can't use top players for that purpose because they won't accept being on the bench. May was just an example of someone who could have filled that role. Not as good as Boyce but still competent enough to actually play if you get me..

We need need a top class striker to partner Boyce. Tbf May is a good player and a decent shout, he's become a supporting striker these days because injuries have taken away his pace. I don't think he's the type we need. We need a bit more pace. 

The Old Tolbooth
11 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Much the same tbh 

7 hours ago, Jamiemac said:

wrote this article a few weeks ago ahead of what is inevitably another big summer window... some decisions easier than others. Be good to hear your thoughts

I certainly wouldn’t be giving Irving what he wants. Sure it would make him the highest paid player at the club and he just isn’t worth it. Started the season well but has been pretty shite recently. He’s not as good as he thinks he is.

18 hours ago, iwasthere1954 said:

Why apologise. I thought negative was your middle name.

I’m positive I am not negative. I try to state only my honest opinions. If they are not to your taste then so be it, we all have our own opinions. Just as I recognise you have your right to your opinion of me and respect it.

The Old Tolbooth
21 hours ago, wavydavy said:

I've actually been thinking about your question more now, and I reckon Levein was better at spotting a player than Neilson ever could be, he had bags more experience in that role and I think he knew what he wanted to do with them, he just wasn't very good at putting it into practice. Neilson on the other hand has exactly the same rotten style of play as Levein, but without the eye for a player in my opinion, he's signed 3 of the worst wingers I've ever seen in my life this season (Frear, Roberts, and just when you think he couldn't top this, he brings in Kasta flipping neer!), he also has no clue how to get the best out of his current team, and let's be honest, the players we have should be absolutely dominating every fixture in this very poor league and rattling in a couple of goals at least each game, this has been nowhere near happening. 

To answer your question, I'd trust Levein a lot more with a budget for bringing in players than Neilson, and that's saying something! :( 

Batistuta87
10 hours ago, DH1986 said:

This is why we are where we are.

Agreed, but it will take time to build back up from that and IMO May would have been an alright stop-gap so to speak. 

10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

We need need a top class striker to partner Boyce. Tbf May is a good player and a decent shout, he's become a supporting striker these days because injuries have taken away his pace. I don't think he's the type we need. We need a bit more pace. 

Again, agreed. However I would understand if we weren't able to sign one this window since we need a quaility winger, a quality midfielder and a quality centre back. We're probably not going to be able to get all of them in one go. For me, the priority is getting some service up to Boyce, and sorting our back four. 

17 hours ago, Jamiemac said:

Hard to argue with any of that 

Very much agreed in Halkett but starting to think Smith gets an easy ride, he is consistent but offers very little going forward, if anything needs to be a CB now 

Nookie Bear
43 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Agreed, but it will take time to build back up from that and IMO May would have been an alright stop-gap so to speak. 

Again, agreed. However I would understand if we weren't able to sign one this window since we need a quaility winger, a quality midfielder and a quality centre back. We're probably not going to be able to get all of them in one go. For me, the priority is getting some service up to Boyce, and sorting our back four. 

I think we need to be bold and try to get a top class striker, midfielder and defender.

Throwing cash at projects is less cost effective imo

Batistuta87
21 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think we need to be bold and try to get a top class striker, midfielder and defender.

Throwing cash at projects is less cost effective imo

Its a big ask to do all three in one window but aye, if you buy shite you buy twice. Or six times, in Hearts' case.

Batistuta87
58 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

2 or 3 i wouldn't mind taking from St Johnstone 

Would love to sign Jason Kerr. Ali McCann is a cracking wee player as well. Other than that, they have quite an old squad with no fewer than 13 of them out of contract (or loans finishing) at the end of the season, and Parish as backup to Gordon probably being the only one I'd take: 

image.thumb.png.04f76f533f1df4738b6c6f2e9c49ca6a.png 

Speaking of backup keepers, I was actually quite impressed with Aiden McAdams the Greenock keeper this season so did a bit of digging. Was surprised to learn he's only 22, came through the Celtic youth setup before being picked up by Rangers, capped for Scotland U19s, and is out of contract at the end of the season. I reckon he'd be worth a look... Would be adding another man bun to the team though... 🤣

Edited by Batistuta87

Nookie Bear
48 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Its a big ask to do all three in one window but aye, if you buy shite you buy twice. Or six times, in Hearts' case.

Yep. Of course,not expecting us to get John Stones, Ageuro and De Bruyne, more that we should be looking to sign a backbone of experienced professionals who are the right side of 30 and have a couple of hundred games under their belt at SPL level (or higher, if possible)

Batistuta87
6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yep. Of course,not expecting us to get John Stones, Ageuro and De Bruyne, more that we should be looking to sign a backbone of experienced professionals who are the right side of 30 and have a couple of hundred games under their belt at SPL level (or higher, if possible)

Dunno like, Aguero is out of contract.... 😉

Totally agree NB 👍🏻

Edited by Batistuta87

Ccjambo1874

Wouldn't suggest Hamilton from Accies being a bad shout, especially if they get relegated. A Souttar type prospect perhaps.

jamboinglasgow
12 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Wouldn't suggest Hamilton from Accies being a bad shout, especially if they get relegated. A Souttar type prospect perhaps.

Not a bad idea, only just turned 19 with almost 40 Premiership apperances. Only has a year left on his contract so if Hamilton get relegated should not be a huge fee.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***