***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

vegas-voss
5 hours ago, lost in space said:

Does anyone have a good feeling about this transfer window?

Hibs signing Mackay/ Aberdeen probably signing Gallagher.  We sign a goalie who we know is not very good.

We arnt going to do as well as Hobos/Dons/Well or maybe even St Johnstone are we?

St Middens manager, Goodwin, has probably got good contacts and he has an "eye" for a player.

We will probably sign more players from England lower leagues or Ireland - since Savage should know who is worth signing - but Savage hasnt actually produced anything so far.   HUGE transfer window for Savage.

We must surely have identified some talent in Scottish Championship or be looking at the lower leagues here????? Maybe not!!

I am depressed now - can someone give me any indication that we have a clue on what we are doing????????????

Give it a chance

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

The truth though and sad to say you and Des should read the posts first before passing comment

We have looked at him a few times.....Do you forget who his managers were ?....both Hearts stars of the past and if you don't think they have not spoken to our club then you live in a different world.

I don't know if he'll be a success or not but he does fit a profile of the type of player in terms of age and potential we should be looking at

What you getting yer knickers in a twist at?

Des was pointing out no one but you had even mentioned the guy. Maybe you should take your own advice and read posts. Radge.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

44 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

What about when we don't play at home?

One winger like JJ used to play. Home and away I mean 

Des Lynam
8 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

The truth though and sad to say you and Des should read the posts first before passing comment

We have looked at him a few times.....Do you forget who his managers were ?....both Hearts stars of the past and if you don't think they have not spoken to our club then you live in a different world.

I don't know if he'll be a success or not but he does fit a profile of the type of player in terms of age and potential we should be looking at

I think you might want to take your own advice. 

bobby bombscare
Just now, GinRummy said:

One winger like JJ used to play. Home and away I mean 

What's wrong with 2? We all moan about watching eye bleeding football and then when we have the option of getting 2 pacey, tricky wingers we're like "no, we only want1 winger. Can't have 2!".. confuses me.

27 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I don't agree with this at all.

His change of form cincided with that mazy run which resulted in a penalty when he started from his own penalty box - hardly a forward's natural position.

He seems to be a confidence player.  It's just unfortunate that the season's end came too soon for him denying him the chance to build on his recent form.

You may well be right tbf, either way, I’m absolutely buzzing for the laddie. I’d totally written him off as another failed striker but he seems to be turning things on and this training article sounds like he’s taking everything seriously! 

Pleased to see a younger taking the opportunity properly and wanting to train harder to cement his position. Henderson obviously has a cracking attitude. 

Just now, bobby bombscare said:

What's wrong with 2? We all moan about watching eye bleeding football and then when we have the option of getting 2 pacey, tricky wingers we're like "no, we only want1 winger. Can't have 2!".. confuses me.

The way RN plays them is what’s wrong with it. Don’t want to turn it into and RN thread but the starting positions are too far back, the full backs don’t get over the halfway line and we play with two deep lying central midfielders. This means the wingers have way too much to do and defenders can double up on them. You could count on one hand the performances last season where two wingers played even to an ok level for us. 3-5-2 at least allows us to fill out the midfield a bit more so the wing backs can get a bit room. No room for wingers in that formation though. 

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, bobby bombscare said:

I think the issue is that the two wingers are receiving the ball with their backs to goal around the half way line and expected to beat two defenders and put in amazing crosses.

I also think people confuse "eye bleeding" with "ineffective". We had two wingers but did not use the effectively because the full backs were not supporting them enough so too much of our play takes place in the middle third and we didn't create enough.

Just now, Barack said:

Doubt we'll sign anyone until after the Euro's.

Folk will need to monitor their cholesterol levels.

Statins so I can get all wound up over **** all. Winner. 

bobby bombscare
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The way RN plays them is what’s wrong with it. Don’t want to turn it into and RN thread but the starting positions are too far back, the full backs don’t get over the halfway line and we play with two deep lying central midfielders. This means the wingers have way too much to do and defenders can double up on them. You could count on one hand the performances last season where two wingers played even to an ok level for us. 3-5-2 at least allows us to fill out the midfield a bit more so the wing backs can get a bit room. No room for wingers in that formation though. 

I totally agree with 3-5-2. I watched us play that formation for the last 5 or so games and thought that if we take that formation into the prem, we should challenge any team at home and give most opposition (outside maybe the OF) a fair bit of trouble away. 

But it's RN, I'm not a Neilson out person but he HAS to always be tampering with things, even if they're working. So if he wants to also have the option of wingers, at least make it competitive options. 

Edited by bobby bombscare

vegas-voss

I'm confident Savage will bring in what Robbie asks for.Im not confident Robbie will use them in the role he has asked for though 🤣

Just now, bobby bombscare said:

I totally agree with 3-5-2. I watched us play that formation for the last 5 or so games and thought that is we take that formation into the championship, we should challenge any team at home and give most opposition (outside maybe the OF) a fair bit of trouble away. 

But it's RN, I'm not a Neilson out person but he HAS to always be tampering with things, even if they're working. So if he wants to also have the option of wingers, at least make it competitive options. 

It’s only not competitive if we want to play two at a time. If he’s mostly going to go with none or one then two is fine. I’d much rather splash all our cash on a quality centre back and a creative midfielder and see what younger players are available on the cheap after that to cover other positions and develop.  If he signs a winger I hope it’s a young guy with decent prospects like the fella at Morecombe seems to be.

Agentjambo
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Doubt we'll sign anyone until after the Euro's.

Folk will need to monitor their cholesterol levels.

Why not till after the euros?

LarrysRightFoot

I think all decisions about who is staying and leaving will be made. We will have a list of 2 or 3 names for every position that needs strengthened. We’ve probably spoke I quite a few but until the leagues are finished I doubt much will be announced. 

bobby bombscare
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

It’s only not competitive if we want to play two at a time. If he’s mostly going to go with none or one then two is fine. I’d much rather splash all our cash on a quality centre back and a creative midfielder and see what younger players are available on the cheap after that to cover other positions and develop.  If he signs a winger I hope it’s a young guy with decent prospects like the fella at Morecombe seems to be.

Very fair point! With the boy from Morecambe and and Young Moore back, that would make 4 wingers with GMS and Gino. So win for both of us if he comes! 

This is strange.. Not often you can have a logical debate with someone on here without it turning to a slagging match or a Neilson out debate. You're much to sensible for these threads!

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I've always been slightly baffled why a team with the narrowest pitch in the league are so keen on the idea of wingers. Surely playing narrow would suit us better with wide midfielders as opposed to pure wingers.

If you could name our best 5 teams from the past 5 decades everyone would include a winger.

The suggestion of playing two though isn’t ideal.

Agentjambo
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

If you could name our best 5 teams from the past 5 decades everyone would include a winger.

The suggestion of playing two though isn’t ideal.

Who plays with one winger??

2 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

can't think of many good Hearts teams that played with two tbh

8 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

years ago I remember being told that we could only play with 1 winger at home due to the pitch width so we would play an extra centre mid. Not sure if it was levein or someone like that 

Edited by Newton51

29 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Our best teams from the past few decades......

26 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

can't think of many good Hearts teams that played with two tbh

85/86 - Colquhoun

98/99 - McCann

05/06 - Pick a Lith....we only played with either Mike or Chesney

11/12 - Driver

I don’t recall any of best teams having 2 wingers.

soonbe110
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I've always been slightly baffled why a team with the narrowest pitch in the league are so keen on the idea of wingers. Surely playing narrow would suit us better with wide midfielders as opposed to pure wingers.

Yep we have never had a good winger who made an impact in home games in our history. Oh wait a minute.........let’s start listing them shall we? Prentice, Jensen, McCann, Johnny Hamilton for starters

1971fozzy
1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

Why not till after the euros?

Yep. I would doubt that we are in that particular market 🤷🏻‍♂️

soonbe110
1 hour ago, bobby bombscare said:

Very fair point! With the boy from Morecambe and and Young Moore back, that would make 4 wingers with GMS and Gino. So win for both of us if he comes! 

This is strange.. Not often you can have a logical debate with someone on here without it turning to a slagging match or a Neilson out debate. You're much to sensible for these threads!

Moore isn’t coming back. Even if he did he wouldn’t be be playing first team football. Can’t get a start for Arbroath. GMS won’t be playing on the  wing next season. 

Mr Rabbit
3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Boyle replacement 

I don’t see him leaving as his wife plays for hibs too. Think that was the reason they both signed a new contract.

Reckon Nisbet and Porteous will both be off though.

Howdy Doody Jambo

We really need a couple of real quality marquee signings to give the fan's and squad a lift going into the new campaign 

However I have lowered my expectation levels going by our previous 10 transfer windows Neilson has hardly unearthed any gems and can only hope Savage brings home the bacon on some deals 

Law of averages and all that, we have to get lucky soon 

15 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Moore isn’t coming back. Even if he did he wouldn’t be be playing first team football. Can’t get a start for Arbroath. GMS won’t be playing on the  wing next season. 

No.10 role ?

If we are playing a 3-5-2 then the only place for him is behind the two strikers.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Barack said:

"After the Euros" ...can also mean Scotland's probable group elimination.

I'm certainly not suggesting we'll be hanging about waiting on Spanish or German internationals making their minds up, between us, Bayern, or Barca. 

That would be silly. :rolleyes: 

I'm not counting on us having all our business done, by the start of the League Cup, let's just put it that way. And to be honest...the Euros will be more interesting anyway.

A or if transfers tend to be late in the window it seems as players and clubs look at all their options. 

Heartsfth
35 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Our best teams from the past few decades......

85/86 - Colquhoun

98/99 - McCann

05/06 - Pick a Lith....we only played with either Mike or Chesney

11/12 - Driver

I don’t recall any of best teams having 2 wingers.

2012 Suso and Driver! Not a bad team

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I think if Irving goes, we'll bring in one top notch Central mid and a younger player like Turner to give us more depth. 

Would be ideal. 

Leveins Battalion

Doyle

Zlamal

Berra

White

Popescu *

Logan

Frear

Irving*

Damour*

Lee

Wighton

Moore*

Roberts*

Naismith*

Kastaneer

Potentially 15 players out the door.

I'm sure Joe/Robbie will be busier than ever rebuilding this club.

Mind when he told us every signing would'ny be 'Pele'.....Ehm that was in referance to guys like Ross Stewart.

Ainsley Harriott
4 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Doyle

Zlamal

Berra

White

Popescu *

Logan

Frear

Irving*

Damour*

Lee

Wighton

Moore*

Roberts*

Naismith*

Kastaneer

Mind when he told us every signing would'ny be 'Pele'.....Ehm that was in referance to guys like Ross Stewart.

If Ross Stewart is as close to Pele as we are getting then I'm very worried 

Four faces
9 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Doyle

Zlamal

Berra

White

Popescu *

Logan

Frear

Irving*

Damour*

Lee

Wighton

Moore*

Roberts*

Naismith*

Kastaneer

Meaning 6 would replace all of the above

5 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

If Ross Stewart is as close to Pele as we are getting then I'm very worried 

Would you prefer someone 80 years old?

Batistuta87
3 hours ago, Selkirk_Jambo said:

This is correct. Big bust up and was punted to Airdrie where he has done well. Was described to me as "the best player I've seen at Airdrie in years". 

FWIW, we have lodged an interest. Maybe not one to get the blood pumping but has plenty of potential, apparently. 

That's encouraging then, because Airdrie have Thomas Robert who is apparently the next big thing. If he's better than him then maybe my talent radar isn't completely broken. 

I'd take him tbh. Still young, and tore us a new one so he's got it in the locker. 

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, Four faces said:

Meaning 6 would replace all of the above

100%

Our squad is body heavy and quality poor.

Leveins Battalion
Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

100%

Sounds a bit Yoda ish 

Quality poor we are:gok:

lost in space
26 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

We really need a couple of real quality marquee signings to give the fan's and squad a lift going into the new campaign 

However I have lowered my expectation levels going by our previous 10 transfer windows Neilson has hardly unearthed any gems and can only hope Savage brings home the bacon on some deals 

Law of averages and all that, we have to get lucky soon 

I think the closest we will get is if we sign a guy called "Mark Key".

Bookies are rich because the law of averages hasn't actually been passed by Parliament yet.

Howdy Doody Jambo
2 minutes ago, lost in space said:

I think the closest we will get is if we sign a guy called "Mark Key".

Bookies are rich because the law of averages hasn't actually been passed by Parliament yet.

Mark Key sounds like he could lock us up in defence and open up the opposition

Ainsley Harriott
15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Would you prefer someone 80 years old?

As long as they haven't lost their mojo age is no obstacle 

bobby bombscare
15 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

100%

That has been the problem for a while. At first we bought quality players that were so old they didn't have the fitness. So we bought players with the fitness we needed but no quality. 

What we need is to get both out the door and use their wages to buy a player that is fit and is a quality player. Even if they don't quite have the same quality as the older boys. Naisy, Berra, Whelan, MacLean etc. all required other players to fill in for their lack of fitness. So we bought Keena, Wighton, Popescu, Frear, Roberts, etc. When what we really needed was to use the wages of both those players to buy a Liam Lyndsay, a young Turnbull or another Boyce level player. Then fill in the shortcomings with young players where required.

Edited by bobby bombscare

soonbe110
50 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

I don’t see him leaving as his wife plays for hibs too. Think that was the reason they both signed a new contract.

Reckon Nisbet and Porteous will both be off though.

Double, treble his money in English championship they won’t see him for dust. Lots of English women’s football clubs as well. 

soonbe110
43 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

No.10 role ?

If we are playing a 3-5-2 then the only place for him is behind the two strikers.

Would think so. He has virtually played in there last two or three games. 

john thomas
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I don't agree with this at all.

His change of form cincided with that mazy run which resulted in a penalty when he started from his own penalty box - hardly a forward's natural position.

He seems to be a confidence player.  It's just unfortunate that the season's end came too soon for him denying him the chance to build on his recent form.

Think you are , mostly , correct . Playing on the right he created a number of chances . Think he is growing in confidence

soonbe110
29 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Doyle

Zlamal

Berra

White

Popescu *

Logan

Frear

Irving*

Damour*

Lee

Wighton

Moore*

Roberts*

Naismith*

Kastaneer

Add Cochrane and two or three other youngsters and it’s going to be close to 20 out the door. 

LarrysRightFoot
6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Add Cochrane and two or three other youngsters and it’s going to be close to 20 out the door. 

What ridiculous situation to be in (again!). 

bobby bombscare
Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

I think the only younger ones we will have leaving will be Cochran, Irving and maybe Moore. The rest will either slot into the squad or go out on loan. 

2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

It's good that we are hopefully going to be able to get rid of what is mainly players that are no use to us.

I would fancy that this will be the last time we require a major re-build if Robbie along with Joe Savage get their act together and bring in the right type of players to replace the outgoing ones.

If we get the nucleous of the team right then going forward we should not have to make many signings each window. We should also be introducing the younger guys into the frist team to develop them.

Leveins Battalion

20 players moving on is needed IMO,only takes a couple of players to reignite a club.

I personally will be happy if we are going for guys like GMS,McEneff and Gnando.

Suspect we will be going for guys aged 21-27 though.

davemclaren
17 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I think it’s opportune given the players whose contracts are up. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***