***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

34 minutes ago, andrew said:

They will announce his signing when the season tickets go on sale I imagine.

Has he signed? 

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Don't know much about Gallagher, other than he played in a side that I remember playing with ten defenders every time we played them. If Neilson had signed yet another winger (MacKay) I'd have lost my shit.

I'd imagine Frear and Roberts will be away,think we are looking at a winger Carlos Mendes Gomes......👀

1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I'd imagine Frear and Roberts will be away,think we are looking at a winger Carlos Mendes Gomes......👀

Oooooh! Bit of ITK in da house. Not sure why we need more wingers with Ginnelly and GMS on the books. Playing with two wingers is just daft the way RN does it. 

Great name though and at 22 he's certainly a good age to develop.

Leveins Battalion
6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Cheers. Nothing to write home about. 

He played in the 3-0 game against us a few weeks ago apparently.

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Certainly he was linked to us in January (cant remember in the press or on here) though a few weeks ago the papers were linking him with Rangers.

Hopefully another Drey Wright. 

fast_blood
36 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m not going to tie myself in knots spending all summer comparing our every move to Hibs and using it as a hammer to beat Hearts with. 

Unfortunately others don't seem to share your view, which is very sad. 

Agentjambo
9 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

What have you heard re Gomes?anything concrete?

4 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Daniel Mackay, he's alright but he's nowhere near the finished product. He's a punt for them.

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Nothing I get is bulletproof,heard from 3 people we are after him though.:kirk:

8 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Certainly he was linked to us in January (cant remember in the press or on here) though a few weeks ago the papers were linking him with Rangers.

Only 22 and has scored 15 goals this season? 

Yes ****ing please!! 

This is the boy that plays for Morecombe and came through the youths at Atletico. 

Quite a few clubs in League 1 and the Championship after him. 

bobby bombscare
1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

just scottish media. As soon as anyone outside the old firm look at a player, then they assume that must mean that the old firm must be looking at them too. I don't see why rangers would want him? They have wingers and wingbacks all over the place. They would only be buying him to put on the bench. 

Agentjambo
8 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Good sources?

bobby bombscare
18 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Oooooh! Bit of ITK in da house. Not sure why we need more wingers with Ginnelly and GMS on the books. Playing with two wingers is just daft the way RN does it. 

Great name though and at 22 he's certainly a good age to develop.

We definitely need more wingers. At least 1. Gino and GMS are good and Roberts may be better following his time at Motherwell. But anyone else outside of Lewis Moore are not wingers. They are just being played out of position. 

One of the biggest problem hearts have had in recent years is the 'big name' players being complacent with getting their game every week. Competition forces players to give their all or be on the bench. Get rid of Frear and if they can move Roberts on, then great! free up the wages and bring another winger in that can challenge GMS and Gino, rather than just only being played because there is no other option.

3 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

We definitely need more wingers. At least 1. Gino and GMS are good and Roberts may be better following his time at Motherwell. But anyone else outside of Lewis Moore are not wingers. They are just being played out of position. 

One of the biggest problem hearts have had in recent years is the 'big name' players being complacent with getting their game every week. Competition forces players to give their all or be on the bench. Get rid of Frear and if they can move Roberts on, then great! free up the wages and bring another winger in that can challenge GMS and Gino, rather than just only being played because there is no other option.

I think that was one of the issues with Roberts departure on loan as he is not really a winger and he prefers playing more as a striker than an out and out winger.

GMS has actually looked more effective since he was played more through the middle.

I am not so sure we do need more wingers other than Ginnelly. We looked much better with two wing backs I thought.

bobby bombscare
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Nae danger Roberts will be back here after having a pop at Neilson in the press. 

Then hopefully we bring in 2 exciting wingers! 

I mean for strikers we have Boyce, Armand (not even trying to pronounce his surname), Naisy, Henderson and Walker has played there too. That is excellent depth in those positions! and if you don't perform, there is someone else able to come in and score the goals (every one of them has had a good goal tally in that position this season). 

We don't have that with wingers. We have Gino and GMS and then if they're out, Moore or we play someone out of position to make up the space. No competition will definitely have an impact on the effort from the players.

25 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

I'm nearly sure he was mentioned on Kickback some time ago.

bobby bombscare
4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I think that was one of the issues with Roberts departure on loan as he is not really a winger and he prefers playing more as a striker than an out and out winger.

GMS has actually looked more effective since he was played more through the middle.

I am not so sure we do need more wingers other than Ginnelly. We looked much better with two wing backs I thought.

I agree, i thought we looked excellent with a back 3 and 2 wing backs! I don't see any sides being able to contain us or score easily. Especially at tynie! 

But Neilson always wants multiple formations and i'd be happy to see more players competition for those places.

Also, can anyone mind the boy from the lower Scottish league that we were linked with in January again? I'm sure he was also a winger? 

Edited by bobby bombscare

Batistuta87
4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Nae danger Roberts will be back here after having a pop at Neilson in the press. 

He can go tomorrow tbh. I'll drive him myself. 

I hate always comparing ourselves to Hibs and Aberdeen etc but honestly we have some work to do to catch up with them right now. Their recruitment has been pretty decent and I do admit to being a little jealous of one or two moves they've made recently. Gallagher, despite his age, would have been a safe signing and not that I know a massive amount about this McKay laddie, but Neilson and Co should and if he's as good as ICT fans think he is, he's exactly the sort of player we should be going for. I just hope we have something better up our sleeves. This laddie from Morecambe would really light the embers for me. 

Nookie Bear
6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

It seemed so.

If we play 2 wingers then it leaves a hell of a lot of work for the two midfielders to cover. Could we leave that to McEneff and Haring? More likely we will play 4-5-1 in that case to tighten up the centre.

Or we could have a midfield 4 where we have Haring sitting and the other 3 being allowed to roam wide?

5 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

I agree, i thought we looked excellent with a back 3 and 2 wing backs! I don't see any sides being able to contain us or score easily. Especially at tynie! 

But Neilson always wants multiple formations and i'd be happy to see more players competition for those places.

Also, can anyone mind the boy from the lower Scottish league that we were linked with in January again? I'm sure he was also a winger? 

The Frenchman Robert from Airdrie who can't hold down a first team place for them.

His Dad was a gret player who played for Newcastle.

hmfc_liam06
54 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

The only person that ever mentioned him on here was @CJGJ. Now everyone is an expert saying we should have signed this guy. 

The Kickback way nowadays.

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It seemed so.

If we play 2 wingers then it leaves a hell of a lot of work for the two midfielders to cover. Could we leave that to McEneff and Haring? More likely we will play 4-5-1 in that case to tighten up the centre.

Or we could have a midfield 4 where we have Haring sitting and the other 3 being allowed to roam wide?

As Robbie always tends to be more on the cautious side I would fancy that he would opt for this against the better teams but he may go with the way we have been playing of late if he fancies our chances more.

Edited by wavydavy

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Well said.

I don't even know who this guy is that Hibs signed, let alone get concerned by it.

Exactly where I am. Cant get my head around how people can get so worked up over stuff like this. They obviously can’t handle the Hibs fans in their WhatsApp group winding them up. 

bobby bombscare
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

The Frenchman Robert from Airdrie who can't hold down a first team place for them.

His Dad was a gret player who played for Newcastle.

That's the one. He spent most of the second half of the season training with Celtic. Apparently he is having injury issues or something at the moment. With a new manager coming in, Celtic may not bother trying to get him after all and we could score him on a decent deal? 

I haven't seen much of him though and could be spouting nonsense 😂

17 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

There are other options though. Playing three at the back is one of them. Playing one out and out winger at a time is another, JJ done it to great effect. I just don't see the point in starting games with two wingers where often they are played quite deep (certainly a deep starting position) and often the full backs seem to be told to stay in their own half. The last thing we need is more wingers. Two is enough, if push comes to shove get the width from the full backs

47 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Gomes was someone we looked at in January along with hibs and aberdeen, hibs look to have prioritised mackay and aberdeen have changed manager since. So could be something in it👍🏻 Personally not heard anything of recent on him 

Just now, bobby bombscare said:

Then hopefully we bring in 2 exciting wingers! 

I mean for strikers we have Boyce, Armand (not even trying to pronounce his surname), Naisy, Henderson and Walker has played there too. That is excellent depth in those positions! and if you don't perform, there is someone else able to come in and score the goals (every one of them has had a good goal tally in that position this season). 

We don't have that with wingers. We have Gino and GMS and then if they're out, Moore or we play someone out of position to make up the space. No competition will definitely have an impact on the effort from the players.

I get the feeling that we won't always play with wingers but on top of GMS and Ginnelly, I'd agree we will need at least two more.

I'd imagine Walker will still be here though. Henderson I think is better playing on the shoulder of the last man in a partnership or either side of a central striker in a front 3. 

12 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

He can go tomorrow tbh. I'll drive him myself. 

I hate always comparing ourselves to Hibs and Aberdeen etc but honestly we have some work to do to catch up with them right now. Their recruitment has been pretty decent and I do admit to being a little jealous of one or two moves they've made recently. Gallagher, despite his age, would have been a safe signing and not that I know a massive amount about this McKay laddie, but Neilson and Co should and if he's as good as ICT fans think he is, he's exactly the sort of player we should be going for. I just hope we have something better up our sleeves. This laddie from Morecambe would really light the embers for me. 

Hibs and Aberdeen haven't had to turn around their squads every season so they have consistency but I think we've got a core group of players that are every bit as good as what they have. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I get the feeling that we won't always play with wingers but on top of GMS and Ginnelly, I'd agree we will need at least two more.

I'd imagine Walker will still be here though. Henderson I think is better playing on the shoulder of the last man in a partnership or either side of a central striker in a front 3. 

2 will definitely be coming in, Robbie likes GMS in the 10 

4 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

👍 GMS is better finding pockets of space where he can't be double marked for 90 minutes. 

bobby bombscare
7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I don't think Walker isn't a winger anymore. Especially not now he's a bit older! He seems to play best in the 10 or striker roles. As for Henderson, I don't think he was ever a winger until brought into the first team by CL, who had a habit of never letting anyone play in their preferred position. He seems to be most comfortable playing through the middle and has bagged a few goals to back it up too!

10 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Gomes was someone we looked at in January along with hibs and aberdeen, hibs look to have prioritised mackay and aberdeen have changed manager since. So could be something in it👍🏻 Personally not heard anything of recent on him 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/carlos-mendes-gomes-rangers-transfer-23934885.amp

Batistuta87
11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Hibs and Aberdeen haven't had to turn around their squads every season so they have consistency but I think we've got a core group of players that are every bit as good as what they have. 

Yeah I totally appreciate that but it's quite hard to look at them and not to think we've missed out. I was really jealous when they signed Nisbet and Irvine. Was jealous of Aberdeen when they signed McCrorie and Hornby. 

We need two very good first XI signings IMO, and the rest for filling the gaps. 

Edited by Batistuta87

2 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

I don't think Walker isn't a winger anymore. Especially not now he's a bit older! He seems to play best in the 10 or striker roles. As for Henderson, I don't think he was ever a winger until brought into the first team by CL, who had a habit of never letting anyone play in their preferred position. He seems to be most comfortable playing through the middle and has bagged a few goals to back it up too!

Agree. Walkers either a second striker or an inside left. More of an impact sub these days anyway. 

1 hour ago, bistokid said:

Has he signed? 

I have no idea. I'd say it's a certainty though given we want to sign him and he wants to stay.

Rogue Daddy
3 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

I like Henderson and feel we could have a real player on our hands if he gets a decent run in the team.🤞 Love his attitude also, good piece in the EN about how he's shortening his summer break to work on his fitness pre-pre-season... could do with a few more like this!

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-euan-henderson-outlines-his-summer-regime-to-be-ready-for-premiership-3223847

15 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

He seems far more effective in the 10 role as opposed to on the wing. Certainly if the last two games are anything to go by. 

Assuming Ginnelly is one of the 2, interesting to see who we get for the other side. 

Chuck Berry
11 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah I totally appreciate that but it's quite hard to look at them and not to think we've missed out. I was really jealous when they signed Nisbet and Irvine. Was jealous of Aberdeen when they signed McCrorie and Hornby. 

We need two very good first XI signings IMO, and the rest for filling the gaps. 

Hornby is nowhere near the level he needs to be, was surprised Aberdeen signed him.  I watched him a lot for the Scotland U21's and he goes missing far too often, he has scored 3 goals in senior first team football which is why his move to France bombed.  His goals for the U21's masked otherwise unimpressive performances (6 came against Andorra and San Marino), the one exception was a double in the Netherlands, the best I have seen him play but it doesn't happen often.

Edited by Chuck Berry

davemclaren
Just now, Chuck Berry said:

Hornby is nowhere near the level he needs to be, was surprised Aberdeen signed him.  I watched him a lot for the Scotland U21's and he goes missing far too often, he has scored 3 goals in senior first team football which is why his move to France bombed.  His goals for the U21's masked otherwise unimpressive performances.

Hornsby doesn’t have the range of skills or abilities to be a top player imo. 

Just now, Chuck Berry said:

Hornby is nowhere near the level he needs to be, was surprised Aberdeen signed him.  I watched him a lot for the Scotland U21's and he goes missing far too often, he has scored 3 goals in senior first team football which is why his move to France bombed.  His goals for the U21's masked otherwise unimpressive performances.

Hornby has had injuries but his cv is based on under 21s form. Has looked poor

8 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I like Henderson and feel we could have a real player on our hands if he gets a decent run in the team.🤞 Love his attitude also, good piece in the EN about how he's shortening his summer break to work on his fitness pre-pre-season... could do with a few more like this!

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-euan-henderson-outlines-his-summer-regime-to-be-ready-for-premiership-3223847

Absolutely, been really impressed with him in the last few games. 

Really ridiculous that this turn in form has coincided with him finally being played in his natural position. Farcical it’s taken this long tbh. 

Just now, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah I know. We need two very good first XI signings IMO, and the rest for filling the gaps. 

We definitely need to push to boat out at Centerhalf and Central Midfield. Two signing there need to be a priority. 

Then we need competition at RB with Smith, another winger to compete with Ginnelly (assuming he signs) and another striker to compete with Gnando. 

But we might need two centerhalfs if Halkett and Popescu go. Possibly two central midfielders if Irving goes as we'd be left with only Haring and McEneff. 

The rest of the squad I'd probably be looking at us signing a few younger guys. 

Batistuta87
2 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Hornby is nowhere near the level he needs to be, was surprised Aberdeen signed him.  I watched him a lot for the Scotland U21's and he goes missing far too often, he has scored 3 goals in senior first team football which is why his move to France bombed.  His goals for the U21's masked otherwise unimpressive performances (6 came against Andorra and San Marino), the one exception was a double in the Netherlands, the best I have seen him play but it doesn't happen often.

Fair enough 👍🏻

Always a player I'd quite fancied on paper but hadn't seen him play a huge amount. 

stuart500

With Covid travel restrictions only recently being lifted I would imagine any potential targets interested in joining from outwith Scotland will only now be able to get the city / stadium tour. 

Most players have wives and kids to be taken into account when considering relocation.

I'm sure things will be moving on behind the scenes with targets we've identified. 

Its about getting the right deals done not the quickest. And yes it needs to be much much better than recent years in terms of real quality and potential. Savage has had months to do his due diligence so no excuses.

Chuck Berry
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Hornsby doesn’t have the range of skills or abilities to be a top player imo. 

He has something in him that could make him into a decent player, he's just not developed and got quickly found out at Reims. He played 16 games for the U21's and scored in 5 of them.

Edited by Chuck Berry

Chuck Berry
2 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Hornby has had injuries but his cv is based on under 21s form. Has looked poor

Pretty much.  As I said 6 of his 10 goals for the U21's came against pub teams. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***