***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

BackOfTheNet
12 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Polwarth seems to divide opinion on here. Haven’t noticed him much myself. What do you think of him?

Can’t say I’ve seen enough of him to form a strong opinion one way or another. Not sure he’s the type of midfielder we’d be needing mind you. If he signs then I’ll support and wish all the best, but I can imagine this place being somewhat underwhelmed if that’s the case. I mean going by here he’s not even in the Top 3 of players from Motherwell that people want to sign.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

15 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Polwarth seems to divide opinion on here. Haven’t noticed him much myself. What do you think of him?

He’s pish. 

Morgaro Gomis

My thoughts on Polwarth is that he’s a decent midfielder in the Irving mould. Would not want us to sign him as I do not think he’s the type of midfielder we’re crying out for (and have been for years). Not sure he’s much of an upgrade on what we’ve had in midfield in recent years.

34 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Hearing could well be a signing announcement today ! No name given but that's what was just told

18 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Aye something is happening today. Maybe more than something, plural. 

Ooooft, heids above parapet.  Good luck lads

Just now, Morgaro Gomis said:

My thoughts on Polwarth is that he’s a decent midfielder in the Irving mould. Would not want us to sign him as I do not think he’s the type of midfielder we’re crying out for (and have been for years). Not sure he’s much of an upgrade on what we’ve had in midfield in recent years.

I don't know him at all - only really watch Hearts!

But if he doesn't have bags of energy, first to every loose ball, drive forward when he has it, he isn't what we need.  Sounds unlikely but the lad Campbell more the type of midfielder we lack.  All about balance of course and I don't think we've seen McEneff hit his heights yet, so perhaps we already have our box-to-box energy, but think we need more legs

Didn't realise St Mirren have got Curtis Main and Greg Kiltie both free.

Not really a post relating to us missing out or we should have signed them, i'm more thinking they will do well there.

A_A wehatethehibs

Alright, I’ve been reading the tea leaves lads

Before the inter kit was announced, the club posted a “goal of the day” tweet of a goal in the original inter kit. The prior tweet foreshadowed the announcement.

The club yesterday tweeted Jose Quitongo’s goal as goal of the day.

I therefore predict that’s foreshadowing, we are going to sign Jai Quitongo who Neilson tried to sign 4 years ago from Morton. Not sure the lads current status, not great for Queens Park but age 23 so he’s the right age for the “bring down the average age” objective, cheap, and would be happy sitting behind Boyce and Gnanduillet 

Or maybe we’ll bring back Rico but he was only recently released iirc

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Alright, I’ve been reading the tea leaves lads

Before the inter kit was announced, the club posted a “goal of the day” tweet of a goal in the original inter kit. The prior tweet foreshadowed the announcement.

The club yesterday tweeted Jose Quitongo’s goal as goal of the day.

I therefore predict that’s foreshadowing, we are going to sign Jai Quitongo who Neilson tried to sign 4 years ago from Morton. Not sure the lads current status, not great for Queens Park but age 23 so he’s the right age for the “bring down the average age” objective, cheap, and would be happy sitting behind Boyce and Gnanduillet 

Or maybe we’ll bring back Rico but he was only recently released iirc

Rico signed for Airdrionians. 

6 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Billy Gilmour supposedly heading out on loan this season coming. I would prefer not to have any loan players, but he could definitely do a job

Yeah he'd definitely do a job!!!

I think if he goes on loan, it'll be in the English Prem, not the Scottish one.

Kinda hope the lad stays at Chelsea, but then he is so young, so a great season playing every week at Palace or similar maybe the right call I suppose.

A_A wehatethehibs
6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Rico signed for Airdrionians. 

And Jai signed an extension last week at Queen’s Park.

So much for the tea leaves 👎

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Billy Gilmour supposedly heading out on loan this season coming. I would prefer not to have any loan players, but he could definitely do a job

Aston Villa, Nap

Berra than you
Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

And Jai signed an extension last week at Queen’s Park.

So much for the tea leaves 👎

Still a goal of the day to come today, don't put the tea leaves away yet 🤣.

10 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

I'd make an exception for the Scottish Iniesta. 

Morgaro Gomis
17 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I don't know him at all - only really watch Hearts!

But if he doesn't have bags of energy, first to every loose ball, drive forward when he has it, he isn't what we need.  Sounds unlikely but the lad Campbell more the type of midfielder we lack.  All about balance of course and I don't think we've seen McEneff hit his heights yet, so perhaps we already have our box-to-box energy, but think we need more legs

Yeah, from memory, he’s not the energetic midfielder type. Very much a sit and distribute passes from deep, whilst trying to dictate the tempo of the game type. 

In style hes very similar to Irving in that regard, and probably a more complete player than Irving at it, but he’s not a big enough upgrade for me to want us to sign him and he’s definitely not the style our midfield is in need of. 

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'd prefer the announcement if any, to not be at 3pm. I'm rather busy then.

1pm would be much more suitable, Hearts.

Appreciated.

Me too. I tee off at 2:40pm 🙂

BackOfTheNet

I know Gilmour was said more in hope, but unless he does something special in the tournament he’ll go on loan to a non special English Premiership side. The only other way I could see would be if Rangers qualify for the group stages of the Champions League, I can see Chelsea letting him join them for that experience.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Lord Beni of Gorgie
36 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Don't ruin my daydreams, eh? 😂 

Chelsea and Villa have an understanding since JT went there, if he was coming to Scotland it would be Glasgow though I'm afraid. Dont let yourself go there :lol:, I've been and came home disappointed!!!

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, forget about Maverick, the thread has went all a bit Joseph Merrick. 

Even, just confirm Gino. 

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, forget about Maverick, the thread has went all a bit Joseph Merrick. 

Even, just confirm Gino. 

Yeah, We just need news!! Doesn’t pre season start pretty soon too? Plenty time I suppose but just bored and want to see some movement. 

May one-six
1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

He’s pish. 

I agree. If Polworth's the level we're aiming at then our sights have sunk extremely low.

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Personally i wouldnt be against signing him. Low wage, low risk, knows the league etc.

I've seen a few comments label him as pish, where i dont believe these posters have actually extensively watched him - just basing it on who he has played for and that bigger clubs havent come in for him. He's valued at 700k for a reason though...higher value than any of our midfielders.  

I would welcome him as a good option, nothing to say he cant be a starter, might be on the bench, but a fairly positive signing. I'm always of the opinion that players will always play better with better players round them, and on paper we have the better team over Inverness and Motherwell so i'd expect this to positively impact his game.

All opinion of course

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

Maverick or mercenary?

or maverick as he didn’t fancy tracking back or following his managers / teams instructions?

(I’m playing devils advocate here :) )

Definitely Maverick, some players like to play with the shackles off. I watched him play recently for his 11th club Vancouver and it was about 30 minutes before I could see where he was playing, he had freedom to roam around. 
He ran about as much as anyone else did for us, and they did try to spend a fair chunk of cash on him after all. 
As for mercenary everybody wants to earn as much as they possibly can in a short career. 
The kind of player we all love surely? I know some Hearts fans prefer the likes of Neilson, guid Scottish laddies with no talent or ability but give 100% (playing devils advocate as always). 

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Christ, even on loan Gilmour would be probably the most exciting signing of the decade. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Get rid of Naismith and Damour would be the best bit of business we could do, we could maybe invest the same money on players who deserve it.

kingantti1874
45 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Christ, even on loan Gilmour would be probably the most exciting signing of the decade. 

Ever .. he’s a ****ing phenomenal player and will be a first choice for a top top team soon.  There’s no danger he will be coming to the SPL

David Black
1 minute ago, Rave MacPherson said:

I agree with damour, but Naismith still has a lot to offer, in my opinion. Cant see him starting too often but he'll get 10 goals from the bench, at least. 

The thing is that for the wage SN is on, 10 goals isn't very much of a return.

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Rave MacPherson said:

I agree with damour, but Naismith still has a lot to offer, in my opinion. Cant see him starting too often but he'll get 10 goals from the bench, at least. 

Yep I agree. Naismith has been pretty good for us, when he’s been able to play. Took a huge wage cut to be here, and has contributed a lot of goals over his time with us. Pretty much a 1 in 3 striker which would be great for any striker

Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

Yep I agree. Naismith has been pretty good for us, when he’s been able to play. Took a huge wage cut to be here, and has contributed a lot of goals over his time with us. Pretty much a 1 in 3 striker which would be great for any striker

He was able to play last year and was a man down in most games. He's overpaid and finished. 

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, bistokid said:

He was able to play last year and was a man down in most games. He's overpaid and finished. 

I agree last season wasn’t his finest, but saying he’s finished is a bit dramatic. Would walk into any other team below old firm. Will still score goals

Absolute Scenes
Just now, Rave MacPherson said:

There is more to him than goals, as well. Vast experience, a good touch and a dirty wee b@*@&£ when needed 

Without him I don’t know who would be our derty boi

i actually can see McEneff being our ankle biter 

14 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I agree last season wasn’t his finest, but saying he’s finished is a bit dramatic. Would walk into any other team below old firm. Will still score goals

Walk is the key word. IMO wouldn't get a regular game for any premier team as he can't run.

David Black
11 minutes ago, Barack said:

People on bigger wages should score more? What's an acceptable ratio? Naismith's is about 1 in 3 with us, I think.

Not being antagonistic. Never correlated the two, personally.

For a club that is not awash with money I think that for the wage SN gets we could get more value elsewhere. I concede that bar a few periods, I am not a SN fan. 

Absolute Scenes
9 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Walk is the key word. IMO wouldn't get a regular game for any premier team as he can't run.

😂😂 fair comment

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Barack said:

No, that's fair enough. Like I said, not having a go. It's a slightly tenous way to have a dig at him mind. But if you're not a fan nowadays, I understand.

However, I agree that we should've had more out of Naismith when he was available and playing. Not so much in terms of goals, as Boyce fills that role far better & means Naismith doesn't need to carry us like before. More leadership & vocality. Though, a few were guilty of just being a bit listless at times in matches.

Scoring goals from chances this season, has at times been like pulling teeth. 10's reasonable for a 34 year old that never played that many 90 mins', imo. Could get another season out of him, but I think he realises he's going to be a bit part, bencher. Just wonder if his professional pride (which has never been in doubt at any club he's played for, in fairness) will tell him: "that's enough." Onto coaching.

We could certainly do a lot with the wages he'd free up.

He would likely need a significant payoff so it’s a judgement if he is worth keeping and pay the balance. Same with any player really. What are the costs/benefits ( not all financial )  of keeping or paying off?

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

No, that's fair enough. Like I said, not having a go. It's a slightly tenous way to have a dig at him mind. But if you're not a fan nowadays, I understand.

However, I agree that we should've had more out of Naismith when he was available and playing. Not so much in terms of goals, as Boyce fills that role far better & means Naismith doesn't need to carry us like before. More leadership & vocality. Though, a few were guilty of just being a bit listless at times in matches.

Scoring goals from chances this season, has at times been like pulling teeth. 10's reasonable for a 34 year old that never played that many 90 mins', imo. Could get another season out of him, but I think he realises he's going to be a bit part, bencher. Just wonder if his professional pride (which has never been in doubt at any club he's played for, in fairness) will tell him: "that's enough." Onto coaching.

We could certainly do a lot with the wages he'd free up.

Remember most of his appearances have come in midfield and out wide, where he is very ineffective imo, especially how he has less running in him.

Said it for years as a Scotland fan, before Naisy was even with us - he's a CF and you get the best out of him when he's up there bugging the life out of defenders, nipping them, pulling them out of position, competing for every single ball, winning headers against guys 6 inches taller than him, and finding spaces in the box.  Put the game infront of SN and he's less effective.  DOn't get me wrong, he can still do a job, but you lose the "point" of him, imo.

I'd be saying we have 4 CFs this season with Boyce, Gnando, Naisy and Hendo.  And all bring different things to the party, so we're golden.  Feeding them and letting them do their thing is what we need to work on.

I'd be of a mind to keep Naisy.  If he goes in to the season knowing it's his last, he may well just be the type of character to go out with a bang - what would he be saving energy for, right!?

53 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Just don't get the confidence that he'll score more in the Premiership than he did in the Championship when he's a year older, especially when half of last seasons goals came in 1 game v Arbroath

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Remember most of his appearances have come in midfield and out wide, where he is very ineffective imo, especially how he has less running in him.

Said it for years as a Scotland fan, before Naisy was even with us - he's a CF and you get the best out of him when he's up there bugging the life out of defenders, nipping them, pulling them out of position, competing for every single ball, winning headers against guys 6 inches taller than him, and finding spaces in the box.  Put the game infront of SN and he's less effective.  DOn't get me wrong, he can still do a job, but you lose the "point" of him, imo.

I'd be saying we have 4 CFs this season with Boyce, Gnando, Naisy and Hendo.  And all bring different things to the party, so we're golden.  Feeding them and letting them do their thing is what we need to work on.

I'd be of a mind to keep Naisy.  If he goes in to the season knowing it's his last, he may well just be the type of character to go out with a bang - what would he be saving energy for, right!?

I wouldn’t say “we’re golden” with them 4 tbqh. Naismith is costing us a lot of money for a bit part role. Don’t think he’s got the legs to cause Premiership defenders much trouble these days. Be very handy if he can prove that wrong and come good again and bag 10-15 next season but to me, just seems the same as Berra. The body won’t do what the mind wants anymore. I hope he retires, be a shame to watch him decline too much further and become genuinely despised as Berra / Hughes was. 

Tennant's  6's
1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Personally i wouldnt be against signing him. Low wage, low risk, knows the league etc.

I've seen a few comments label him as pish, where i dont believe these posters have actually extensively watched him - just basing it on who he has played for and that bigger clubs havent come in for him. He's valued at 700k for a reason though...higher value than any of our midfielders.  

I would welcome him as a good option, nothing to say he cant be a starter, might be on the bench, but a fairly positive signing. I'm always of the opinion that players will always play better with better players round them, and on paper we have the better team over Inverness and Motherwell so i'd expect this to positively impact his game.

All opinion of course

Yeah, he'd be an upgrade on our previous attacking wide players like moore  Morrison etc but I hope that the club get a few higher levels players to really make a difference to our starting 11

Bazzas right boot
56 minutes ago, David Black said:

The thing is that for the wage SN is on, 10 goals isn't very much of a return.

If he scores 1 and it's the winer in the sc final he'll be worth it!

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Agreed. 

He must be up top on his own or part of a two. 

He's wasted anywhere else. 

Tennant's  6's
36 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I think that dispite his bravado, he knows this himself. He needs to be played as a No.9, he's got the intelligence to perhaps sniff out a goal in the later stages of games. 

He's proved that he can't play anywhere else, not at this stage of his career at any rate

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***