***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

jambonian

I'd have been making an offer for Steven O'Donnell in January. Perfect competition for Smith. Brandon needs to go and find himself a new challenge, been here too long. O'Donnell though, shame he signed a new contract with Motherwell. I liked Shay Logan throughout his time at Aberdeen. Wanted Hearts to go for him even before Smith arrived. I'll be quite happy if we give him a year or so's contract. It'll give Smith a break sometimes and he plays like someone a lot younger.

Hearts would be mad not to even speak to Jimmy Dunne. He might say yes and fancy the challenge for a couple of years before going back south. Perfect replacement for Berra. 

Mentioned a few times over the last season that Hearts should be looking at Jamie McGrath at St Mirren. I remember wanting Hearts to go for John McGinn before he frustratingly arrived at Hibs. McGrath looks to be the next one that stands out at St Mirren. A number 10 type and has scored about 15 or 16 goals for them. We can't keep burying our heads in the sand and ignoring these players. If we don't get them, Hibs or Aberdeen will. People like Dunne and McGrath have a potential to bag us some decent transfer money in the future, the ones we sign have no value and that needs to change.

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

8 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I wonder if our NI guys are aware of him and pointed him out to the club or if this is a Joe Savage find?

When McEneff signed there was chat that Savage was familiar with the market over there. Could be the players though, not a big country so the football community can’t be huge. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

When McEneff signed there was chat that Savage was familiar with the market over there. Could be the players though, not a big country so the football community can’t be huge. 

👍

7 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I'd have been making an offer for Steven O'Donnell in January. Perfect competition for Smith. Brandon needs to go and find himself a new challenge, been here too long. O'Donnell though, shame he signed a new contract with Motherwell. I liked Shay Logan throughout his time at Aberdeen. Wanted Hearts to go for him even before Smith arrived. I'll be quite happy if we give him a year or so's contract. It'll give Smith a break sometimes and he plays like someone a lot younger.

Hearts would be mad not to even speak to Jimmy Dunne. He might say yes and fancy the challenge for a couple of years before going back south. Perfect replacement for Berra. 

Mentioned a few times over the last season that Hearts should be looking at Jamie McGrath at St Mirren. I remember wanting Hearts to go for John McGinn before he frustratingly arrived at Hibs. McGrath looks to be the next one that stands out at St Mirren. A number 10 type and has scored about 15 or 16 goals for them. We can't keep burying our heads in the sand and ignoring these players. If we don't get them, Hibs or Aberdeen will. People like Dunne and McGrath have a potential to bag us some decent transfer money in the future, the ones we sign have no value and that needs to change.

haven't seen mcgrath but 16 goals (5 assists as well) in 50 games seems reasonable for a midfielder. it would depend how much st liedown wanted for him as his contract runs for another year

7 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Totally agree. 

Its why nearly all of my posts are banging on about not signing 'journeyman' types, the SPFL isn't La Liga, or the EPL. A competent coach who can work with young players and develop them can help make us money. Too many of our signings are finished articles (which for our level means poor) meaning we can never sell them on. No one is going to pay money for Bozanic, Damour, Grzlak, White etc. These are stupid signings that don't seem to be following any sort of transfer policy or strategy. 

Players like McGrath, Dunne, McCann, Kerr, Hendry, Edwards, Hamilton, Campbell are all young enough to develop (even just for a year to then flip to a club down south). 

I'm not saying we don't need senior players, of course we do. But we need to be selective on who they are, quality not quantity. Players in the mould of Cowie, Hughes, Berra, Naismith, Gordon are the correct types. Even Whelan, but obviously he didn't want to be here and there was ample red flags which Levein ignored (not willing to move here, not wanting to do media duties, not wanting to attend all the training sessions with the rest of the squad). Players who have played at a high level and have had an international career of note are ones worth signing. No mark journeymen - especially from out with Scotland is a pointless waste of our limited resources. 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

Totally agree. 

Its why nearly all of my posts are banging on about not signing 'journeyman' types, the SPFL isn't La Liga, or the EPL. A competent coach who can work with young players and develop them can help make us money. Too many of our signings are finished articles (which for our level means poor) meaning we can never sell them on. No one is going to pay money for Bozanic, Damour, Grzlak, White etc. These are stupid signings that don't seem to be following any sort of transfer policy or strategy. 

Players like McGrath, Dunne, McCann, Kerr, Hendry, Edwards, Hamilton, Campbell are all young enough to develop (even just for a year to then flip to a club down south). 

I'm not saying we don't need senior players, of course we do. But we need to be selective on who they are, quality not quantity. Players in the mould of Cowie, Hughes, Berra, Naismith, Gordon are the correct types. Even Whelan, but obviously he didn't want to be here and there was ample red flags which Levein ignored (not willing to move here, not wanting to do media duties, not wanting to attend all the training sessions with the rest of the squad). Players who have played at a high level and have had an international career of note are ones worth signing. No mark journeymen - especially from out with Scotland is a pointless waste of our limited resources. 

I think the usual word on Kickback for this is "projects"

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think the usual word on Kickback for this is "projects"

‘Projects’ has become a bit of a catch all to include injury ravaged players and players who haven’t played in a while as well as younger guys trying to move up a level. Sounds like you’re not too keen on the phrase and neither am I, although I have used it. It’s too vague. 

Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, OTT said:

Totally agree. 

It’s a fine line. 

For me, I think we need players to come in and perform from Day One. Preferably young but with a number of games behind them. 

If they push on and get interest from down south then that’s great but I want them to help us achieve things first. 

We must stop signing journeyman like Whelan and Hughes (I’ll take Zlatan or Rudi though 😁) and we must stop signing anyone who is a good reputation but long term injury issues. 

We still need to be in the market for u21s we can develop as well. 

But the priority is players who can do a job now. 

Easy!!

Leveins Battalion

Quite simply we need to get some younger players in,we need to target the 20/26 age groups.

Big summer to start undoing all the shit.😀

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

‘Projects’ has become a bit of a catch all to include injury ravaged players and players who haven’t played in a while as well as younger guys trying to move up a level. Sounds like you’re not too keen on the phrase and neither am I, although I have used it. It’s too vague. 

I think it's used when one doesn't particularly like a player or the person responsible for his signing.

jambonian
18 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

haven't seen mcgrath but 16 goals (5 assists as well) in 50 games seems reasonable for a midfielder. it would depend how much st liedown wanted for him as his contract runs for another year

There's a lot of players we have that might relish a new challenge. If you think of the amount that we could realistically get rid off we could use a few as make-weights in one or two player-plus-cash deals. We did things like that in the past (John Millar plus cash to Raith Rovers for Colin Cameron springs to mind). Offer Roberts to Motherwell and a bit of cash for Alan Campbell for example, or Devante Cole. It would obviously depend on whether the said club would be interested. But a bit of cash in the bank could be enough to tempt them. Lewis Moore and someone else for McGrath, any of these sort of permutations. Clubs like St Mirren, Motherwell, Ross County etc etc will be desperate to get at least some cash to cover the losses of 2020/21

jambonian
3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think it's used when one doesn't particularly like a player or the person responsible for his signing.

In fairness, i remember Levein using that term himself on a number of occasions for the likes of Sean Clare, Aidy White and one or two others. I'd doubt that any fans would've even used that term if it hadn't been heard/seen in the media.

Bazzas right boot
55 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

In that case it would have been a great opportunity for us to have been able to develop him.

Lavery is 22 so as you say there is an age difference and he was at Everton as a youth but obviously that didn't work for him.

I don't have a problem with us taking players like this if we can advance them and give them a shot a first team football but we don't have a great history of that in the last few years.

This is the types I'd like us to look at more, say 19-22/23 age group and players that didn't quite make it at bigger clubs. 

Lots of these players do well at championship level, some even move back up again. 

Being mainly English They also  tend not to fear the OF as well. 

This Sprinkled with a few older internationals and provan  players, with a side of youth will do me well. 

14 minutes ago, jambonian said:

In fairness, i remember Levein using that term himself on a number of occasions for the likes of Sean Clare, Aidy White and one or two others. I'd doubt that any fans would've even used that term if it hadn't been heard/seen in the media.

I thought it might be Levein's fault.

jambonian
11 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Lavery sounds interesting and I assume a player that Savage knows. 

Affordable goalscorers are hard to find. I don't know if Hearts are interested or not and if we're not, we should be.

jambonian
Just now, JamboAl said:

I thought it might be Levein's fault.

It was his choice of words to be fair.

As regards Lavery doubt we are interested but will check. Linfield FT next season so things are changing.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, jambonian said:

Affordable goalscorers are hard to find. I don't know if Hearts are interested or not and if we're not, we should be.

"Affordable goal scorers are hard to find" 

True goal scorers, the lasting kind.... 

heartmussel

It’s going to be difficult in the market we are looking at,constantly hearing of a major rebuild at Aberdeen, and Porteous and Nisbet departing Hibs,we will all be looking in the same market/price range.

11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I doubt Fergal is a Linfield man. 

12 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

A good Hearts these days is hard to find.

Des Lynam
20 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

A good Hearts these days is hard to find.

I wish they’d be gentle with this heart of mine 

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

A good Hearts Team these days is hard to find.

Ftfy😉

22 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I wish they’d be gentle with this heart of mine 

👍

How many posters are humming that tune now 😂😂

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
29 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I doubt Fergal is a Linfield man. 

🤣

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, heartmussel said:

It’s going to be difficult in the market we are looking at,constantly hearing of a major rebuild at Aberdeen, and Porteous and Nisbet departing Hibs,we will all be looking in the same market/price range.

True, but Aberdeen is a shite hole and Hibs are selling to fill the covid financial gap. 

We on the other hand are emptying a teams worth of wages and because of Mr Benny Factor and foh have cash to burn. 

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

True, but Aberdeen is a shite hole and Hibs are selling to fill the covid financial gap. 

We on the other hand are emptying a teams worth of wages and because of Mr Benny Factor and foh have cash to burn. 

So third then?

Bazzas right boot
Just now, GinRummy said:

So third then?

No reason not to aim for that. 

jamboinglasgow
11 hours ago, Jamboj1 said:

Philosophy’s are more to offer a base to the club, ideal age of signings, type of player we look for, sell on potential etc. If we have decided we want to play attacking football (which i believe we should be) then our scouts will be focussing on players capable of this. The exact players we sign and formation used however is of course down to manager. 

Cheers for the info, think it will be a fascinating summer seeing who we go after. Though have already seen on twitter people complaining that our potential signings are awful based on 1 paper story, 1 misunderstanding of another paper story and a rumour on here. 

Edited by jamboinglasgow

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aberdeen might be dull, its not the epicentre of entertainment, but a shite hole it certainly is not. 

Great place for schools for example if you are a player with family. 

Its a bit dense to suggest all players would choose Edinburgh over Aberdeen, though I agree many would. 

Not the deciding factor for many I would think. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

I see Djoum is out of contract next month. 

As much as I was a fan,  a bit like Logan, looking for a younger version of those 2 would be good moves.

35 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

I see Djoum is out of contract next month. 

Actually wouldn't say no tbh, I do want to see us signing younger players, but his quality at this level is undisputable. IF we can't get a deal done for Campbell then I'd take Djoum and that Hendry from Raith. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Aberdeen might be dull, its not the epicentre of entertainment, but a shite hole it certainly is not. 

Great place for schools for example if you are a player with family. 

Its a bit dense to suggest all players would choose Edinburgh over Aberdeen, though I agree many would. 

Not the deciding factor for many I would think. 

I don't think all players would choose Edinburgh over Aberdeen, but I'm not at all concerned about attracting players any more than normal. 

We'll be more than competitive in the transfer market imo. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I don't think all players would choose Edinburgh over Aberdeen, but I'm not at all concerned about attracting players any more than normal. 

Ourselves Aberdeen and Hibs will all be in for the same players 

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Ourselves Aberdeen and Hibs will all be in for the same players 

With Aberdeen and Hibs in Europe.....we will need to spend more than them to get a player imo.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

With Aberdeen and Hibs in Europe.....we will need to spend more than them to get a player imo.

Its a disadvantage particularly with new European parameters. 

Our benefactors could be crucial 

20 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Its a disadvantage particularly with new European parameters. 

Our benefactors could be crucial 

Don't tell that to some on here....they've already cancelled their DD to FOH to make themselves feel better over the manager crisis that was

I'm sure not you of course 

kingantti1874
59 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I don’t really think getting pumped off some Moldavian team in July is much of a draw tbh

7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I have no concern that we will be competitive - my concern is it will be Neilson choosing the players!

15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I don’t really think getting pumped off some Moldavian team in July is much of a draw tbh

Unless I’m mistaken.....

Whoever finishes 3rd or wins the Scottish Cup is guaranteed European Football until December.

I can see that being a draw for some players.

Players like Jamie McGrath of St Mirren (would cost some money) or Declan Gallagher of Motherwell (out of contract) are being looked at and are the right type of player to consider

In these times of Covid there will be financial pressures on many clubs and especially in England with a large pool of players available.....fans can have opinions but in our case the DOF and scouts will be put to the test this summer as one person just cannot track all those who could be of interest

Jason Kerr or Ali McCann at St Johnstone as well

Edited by CJGJ

Reading this morning that we start pre season mid June so hopefully start to see a few more rumours over next few weeks.

Edited by steve123

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Reading this morning that we start pre season mid June so hopefully start to see a few more rumours over next few weeks.

Think Robbie said months ago that they dont want to announce pre-contracts until the season for the player is finished, so (unless they are in play-offs) lower league English football finishes next weekend and Scottish Premiership in two weeks. so gives an rough timeframe.  

kingantti1874
9 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Unless I’m mistaken.....

Whoever finishes 3rd or wins the Scottish Cup is guaranteed European Football until December.

I can see that being a draw for some players.

you are quite correct, I’d never heard of the europa conference league until I just googled it. 

hmfc_liam06
14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

you are quite correct, I’d never heard of the europa conference league until I just googled it. 

It's a guaranteed £3m income. Quite the windfall for whichever club gets it.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***