***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

Smith is a decent right back and centre half but not a wing back. He rarely makes it over the half way line and we really need to be looking at bringing someone in. 

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

SectionDJambo
52 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

He took a knock in the 2nd half yesterday and worsened it when he sprinted 2/3 of the length of the pitch to track back, and then again when he went into a hard 50/50 with one of their attackers. He limped off at full time but was really struggling the last 10mins or so and our lack of having anyone suitable on the bench might have worsened an otherwise minor injury. Hopefully it's nothing but if he's carrying that knock into the next game then that could be a problem.

Smith took a knock in the warm up which seemed to be causing a bit of concern. Taking another heavy blow during the game won't have helped. Haring also seemed to have something amiss during the warmup. I thought both of them were off their usual pace yesterday.  Could be they were hampered by those issues pre match. 

We definitely need a bigger squad, as I imagine we all know.

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You are correct - we need a right back who can go past him.. that’s how you create space.. 

smith is one of the biggest issues we have 

Go past and also be able to pass or cross the ball well. I had hoped we were thinking about an upgrade in this area, Shay Logan is no world beater but was much better. 

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Sean Clare……

https://www.footballfancast.com/charlton-athletic-news/clare-oxford-adkins-league-one-charlton

I’d like to see his name banned like a swear word which will save folk bringing him up. Saves the embarrassment.

Evidently he still believes he’s a central midfielder, you’d think he’d learn from when he played his best football at full back. 

He’ll end up out of the leagues if he continues to believe that’s what he is or he could forge a career out in the championship at fullback.  

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Go past and also be able to pass or cross the ball well. I had hoped we were thinking about an upgrade in this area, Shay Logan is no world beater but was much better. 

he was. said it on another thread, it was no coincidence we improved massively with Logan.  The lack of threat on that side it absolutely obvious..

I don’t want to slaughter smith, but his best position now is CB.  He is very decent in there, can pass, is fast enough and is undoubtedly a clever defender with good positonal sense.  

but he cannot be our first pick right back.  It stifles everything

Drylaw Hearts
4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Evidently he still believes he’s a central midfielder, you’d think he’d learn from when he played his best football at full back. 

He’ll end up out of the leagues if he continues to believe that’s what he is or he could forge a career out in the championship at fullback.  

To be a full back you need to be able to defend.

RustyRightPeg
Just now, Drylaw Hearts said:

To be a full back you need to be able to defend.

You think he played badly for us at right back?

Drylaw Hearts
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He just didn’t play as badly as he did in CM…..it’s muddied your vision.

Sean Clare is an awful footballer in all positions imo.

7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

he was. said it on another thread, it was no coincidence we improved massively with Logan.  The lack of threat on that side it absolutely obvious..

I don’t want to slaughter smith, but his best position now is CB.  He is very decent in there, can pass, is fast enough and is undoubtedly a clever defender with good positonal sense.  

100% agree! We should of kept Logan! 

We should now move Smith inside, that lets us use Smith, Halkett, Soutter, Kingsley, Cochrane or Haring as CB and prioritise a RWB

Edited by Mdoug79

1 minute ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

👍

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He only played about 5 games there. This thing about him being a good right back because he played 2 or 3 half decent games there under Stendel is another KB myth - debunked. Clare was an expensive flop, awful player and a good bit of business by Neilson getting him shipped out and off the wage bill ASAP. 

40 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

I thought that many on here said the one thing that Levein fixed was the academy.

They may have done. I have to admit I fell for CL’s guff for a long time and was expecting more from the academy. Hoping it can be fixed and we see a better return soon. 

4 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

He looked much better going forward from a deep position. Defending needed a lot of work.I doubt whether he could have improved the defending side enough. 

3 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

I thought that ship had sailed long ago. 

True. Just from what I have seen of Smith I don't think he's going to make it at Hearts. Gladly be proven wrong though, of course. 

:lol: 

How can you write a players off after only playing 4 games? Not sure how many of them a starts.

The RWB role is tailor made for someone like Patterson at Rangers, who need to give him game time as they aren't going to play him and Tavernier together it looks like.

Having a powerful overlapping wing back would add a whole new dimension to our team, and give us cover with Smith playing as one of the 3 CBs.

There is of course the downside of developing a rival teams player and if Rangers would even be interested in loaning him out, but as a short term arrangement, would it suit both teams if we couldn't get a RWB in by the end of the window?

Hopefully we are bringing someone in permanently but just floating it out there, like a Smith cross...

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Middle of the three would be ok. 

jamboinglasgow

With the window open for another 8 days was working out based on Robbie's comments yesterday and rumours what the squad will be in September. 

First team squad of:

Craig Gordon,  Ross Stewart

John Souttar,  Craig Halkett, New CB, Michael Smith

Stephen Kingsley, Alex Cochrane, Cammy Logan

Beni Beningime, Andy Halliday, Peter Haring,

Aaron McEneff, Cameron Devlin, Finlay Pollok

Gary Mackay-Steven, Josh Ginnelly, Liam Boyce

Armand Gnanduillet, Ben Woodburn, Jamie Walker

x2 new signings (positions to be determined)

Fringe players:

Leon Watson, Harris Spratt, Jamie Brandon (when back from injury)

Players out on loan:

Scott McGill, Loic Damour, Harry Stone, Arron Darge, Euan Henderson, Aiden Denholm

Connor Smith, Sean Docherty, Chris Hamilton, Jay Charleston-King, Ryan Schivone

Players to leave between now and end of window:

Jordan Roberts, Michal Popescu

I could be completely wrong but at the moment thats what things are suggesting.

4 minutes ago, Costanza said:

The RWB role is tailor made for someone like Patterson at Rangers, who need to give him game time as they aren't going to play him and Tavernier together it looks like.

Having a powerful overlapping wing back would add a whole new dimension to our team, and give us cover with Smith playing as one of the 3 CBs.

There is of course the downside of developing a rival teams player and if Rangers would even be interested in loaning him out, but as a short term arrangement, would it suit both teams if we couldn't get a RWB in by the end of the window?

Hopefully we are bringing someone in permanently but just floating it out there, like a Smith cross...

Celtic have done it for Hibs more than once.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Hopefully we are bringing someone in permanently but just floating it out there, like a Smith or a Neilson cross...

FTFY 😜.

No harm in asking them. 

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

With the window open for another 8 days was working out based on Robbie's comments yesterday and rumours what the squad will be in September. 

First team squad of:

Craig Gordon,  Ross Stewart

John Souttar,  Craig Halkett, New CB, Michael Smith

Stephen Kingsley, Alex Cochrane, Cammy Logan

Beni Beningime, Andy Halliday, Peter Haring,

Aaron McEneff, Cameron Devlin, Finlay Pollok

Gary Mackay-Steven, Josh Ginnelly, Liam Boyce

Armand Gnanduillet, Ben Woodburn, Jamie Walker

x2 new signings (positions to be determined)

Fringe players:

Leon Watson, Harris Spratt, Jamie Brandon (when back from injury)

Players out on loan:

Scott McGill, Loic Damour, Harry Stone, Arron Darge, Euan Henderson, Aiden Denholm

Connor Smith, Sean Docherty, Chris Hamilton, Jay Charleston-King, Ryan Schivone

Players to leave between now and end of window:

Jordan Roberts, Michal Popescu

I could be completely wrong but at the moment thats what things are suggesting.

Good work. With the right additional 2 players we have a decent squad.  

Ainsley Harriott
21 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He would have done well in that role with  back 3 next to him 

jamboinglasgow
Just now, GinRummy said:

Good work. With the right additional 2 players we have a decent squad.  

Yup, would hope the two others mentioned are a right sided FB/WB and striker. I cant see why we would let Henderson go out on loan if we dont bring in a forward.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Celtic have done it for Hibs more than once.

Henderson, Mcgeouch, Commons, Ambrose, Stokes, Allan off the top of my head. All stopped when after buying Scott Allan and giving them the  money to buy McGinn initially they wouldn’t sell him to them for a low price 😆

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

FTFY 😜.

No harm in asking them. 

Ha see what you did there.

Neilson's throw ins were better than his crosses! 

So much so, that I seem to remember a throw in competition on Scotsport (throw in throne or something) and he won it easily.

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, the general said:

Any transfer news updates?

Charlton might loan us Sean Clare to play RWB 😱🤔😜?!?!

20 minutes ago, the general said:

Any transfer news updates?

Dont be asking sensible questions like that on this thread mate. 😡

Pasquale for King
Just now, Costanza said:

Ha see what you did there.

Neilson's throw ins were better than his crosses! 

So much so, that I seem to remember a throw in competition on Scotsport (throw in throne or something) and he won it easily.

Yeah that was his main strength, two or three goals came from it which is more than his crosses 🙈
Smith is obviously a better player than his manager was but they do have similarities. 

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

If we put 4 kids in there so far, be sitting on 1 point instead of 7. Having said that very much looking forward to seeing Pollock in the weeks to come, like him a lot

He is out for at least six weeks. 

56 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

But he's not a wing back and neither is GMS, just two examples of players asked to play out of position.  Ginnelly in particular was lost back in our half.  Basically our tactics were crap.

You have missed my point and neither was actually playing as w ing back that was Smith and Halliday's roles.

Robbie switched to a back four and Ginnelly should have tracked back was my point but he wasn't being asked to play as a wing back.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Halliday's best games have been at LB.

Left wing back, in the Championship. He’s now shown he’s not good enough to play for us in any position, can’t wait to see where he’s wedged into next week. 

44 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

To be fair Oxford signed him from us as a right back, giving him the number 2 shirt. Less than 6 months later they'd seen enough and punted him out on loan. I think he might just not be very good... 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Left wing back, in the Championship. He’s now shown he’s not good enough to play for us in any position, can’t wait to see where he’s wedged into next week. 

Thank goodness we have Beni otherwise we would have really struggled.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Thank goodness we have Beni otherwise we would have really struggled.

Indeed, the balancing act of waiting for the quality to come in makes it more important to use what we have well. I’m not sure if we’re getting the best out of Boyce, GMS, Gnanduillet, Smith or McEneff in this formation. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Away from home to a Dundee Utd team that have had a few decent result so Robbie will go with the same mindset that he did at Parkhead.

If Kingsley is fit and assuming we have no new signings in and fit to play I would suspect he will play Kingsley at CB and Cochrane in front of him and move Halliday more centrally and leave out either GMS or Ginnelly.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed, the balancing act of waiting for the quality to come in makes it more important to use what we have well. I’m not sure if we’re getting the best out of Boyce, GMS, Gnanduillet, Smith or McEneff in this formation. 

We are getting viryually nothing out ok him and McEneff is a luxury Robbie doesn't want to use at the moment for reason's only known to him. He seems fearful of attacking a team early on in a game away from home.

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Away from home to a Dundee Utd team that have had a few decent result so Robbie will go with the same mindset that he did at Parkhead.

If Kingsley is fit and assuming we have no new signings in and fit to play I would suspect he will play Kingsley at CB and Cochrane in front of him and move Halliday more centrally and leave out either GMS or Ginnelly.

be amazed if Nielsen drops Ginnelly.

2 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I would prefer Ginnelly on rather than GMS but I think he will do the same as he did at Parkhead.

4 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

He’s not done much last couple of games. Is it just a case of wingers being the most inconsistent of players. 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Aye, I heard that it is more or less Savage who deserves the credit for the latest signings so don't want to praise Robbie for something he had little to no part in. Baningime wasn't getting his chance at Everton and Cochrane at Brighton. We have players who have come through the academy at the same age and they aren't getting a sniff with us. It's not their age, as far as I can make out, it seems to be more that they are not good enough or not ready. 

Hickey and Irving got their chance. 

Joe Savage explained the process as being "Robbie provides the positional requirement, type of player,  and physical attributes he wants the new player to have and the job for him and his staff is to come up with a list of options then between him and Robbie they determine who to target" ... not sure that means Robbie has little or no part in the selection of our transfer targets

31 minutes ago, Chaps said:

:lol: 

How can you write a players off after only playing 4 games? Not sure how many of them a starts.

I've seen him a good 10-12 times for the Reserves. It's a while now since I last did obviously, but I used to go round to Oriam every Tuesday afternoon when they were at home. Stand-out players from those games were Alex Petkov, Anthony McDonald, Calum Morrison and Aiden Keena, all of whom have been moved on. Smith was never as good as them (although as pointed out previously he was younger) and I think will follow them. 

3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

McEneff will fill in at RWB if Smith is out I’d think. 

Could do Connor Smith too. 

He filled in at RWB in pre season and did very well. Much better in attack but has the speed to recover defensively

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Has to get the Uber Hun in somewhere. 

12 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We are getting viryually nothing out ok him and McEneff is a luxury Robbie doesn't want to use at the moment for reason's only known to him. He seems fearful of attacking a team early on. 

Fixed that for you. 

4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I've seen him a good 10-12 times for the Reserves. It's a while now since I last did obviously, but I used to go round to Oriam every Tuesday afternoon when they were at home. Stand-out players from those games were Alex Petkov, Anthony McDonald, Calum Morrison and Aiden Keena, all of whom have been moved on. Smith was never as good as them (although as pointed out previously he was younger) and I think will follow them. 

I like C.Smith. Seems like an intelligent player, still just 19 so has time to improve

Morrison has found a new home at Falkirk, doing very well. Sure someone like Livi will pick him up soon

9 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

Joe Savage explained the process as being "Robbie provides the positional requirement, type of player,  and physical attributes he wants the new player to have and the job for him and his staff is to come up with a list of options then between him and Robbie they determine who to target" ... not sure that means Robbie has little or no part in the selection of our transfer targets

Thanks. I think I read something similar before but it didn’t stay in my head. 

David McCaig
1 minute ago, Gulf Jambo said:

I like C.Smith. Seems like an intelligent player, still just 19 so has time to improve

Morrison has found a new home at Falkirk, doing very well. Sure someone like Livi will pick him up soon

Falkirk will probably be at Livvy’s level next year!!

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***