***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

13 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Absolutely, this is a big week ahead. 

Woodburn and Devlin aside, it’s become patently clear we need a RWB. Smith just can’t play that role. In my opinion, he’s dropped from a 7/10 every week to a 6 or even a 5. His passing yesterday was terrible and his crossing as well. Cochrane looks an accomplished defender but he doesn’t offer a great deal going forward. If we are going to continue with this system, RWB is a priority. I’ve seen others have touted McAneff for that role. I think he’d offer more going forward but I have no idea how he would do in a defensive sense.

CB of course still needed.

And given how threadbare we are up front, a striker too. Without gnando in the team, we are missing that presence up front and in games like yesterday, having someone in that ilk could make all the difference.

All in all (Devlin and Woodburn included), hoping for 5 signings (of a good level of course).

Popescu and Roberts leaving would also be nice.

Smith no longer had the legs for right wing back but can offer something as Centre Half.

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Do we need a rwb or Cammy Logan fit?

Do you think Neilson will play him? What other youngster has he ever brought through in his time with us that has played 20 games under him?

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

That saying Aberdeen are this and that for what they have done in the past is irrelevant 😂, it's not me making the excuses and abusing other posters? 

Aberdeen coming from a position of relative consistency and strength v us that are newly promoted is very relevant. 

Again, only a doughnut would fail to acknowledge that. 

3 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

The reason for this is lazy scouting from the club.

There is fantastic talent in Lanarkshire and west of Edinburgh that would be better than what we have now.

Fantastic talent that hasn't been picked up by Hearts, Hibs, Livi, Edinburgh City or any of the other teams in Scotland?  They must be hiding that fantastic talent very well.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

With regards Frear and Roberts, was it not the tactics that didn't suit them, that made them crap? Roberts went to Motherwell and played well ( no pun ) yet he was utter garbage when playing Robbie's style.

He wasn’t that good at Motherwell, bit of a myth formed there. He had 1 really good game vs Hibs but there was zero interest from them in trying to get him back this season. Guys just a dud unfortunately. I get why he was brought in during the covid/relegation transfer window, on paper he looked fine, but that whole window was very much, get Gordon + a few bodies in to win the championship while the new football department got rebuilt and long term plans written by Savage & co. 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Seems like it. RN said 3 or 4 coming in, I just hope one is a centre back and one is a RWB. 

Klaxon time! 

Just now, db211833 said:

Fantastic talent that hasn't been picked up by Hearts, Hibs, Livi, Edinburgh City or any of the other teams in Scotland?  They must be hiding that fantastic talent very well.

They get picked up by the old firm especially rangers as the guy is always at games.

Central league is one of the best leagues for talent as well.

1 hour ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Really need two wingbacks that get forward if we are going to stick with the 5221 formation. Yesterday was as like playing with a flat back 5 with Ginelly and GMS as wing backs. 

If only Ginnelly had played like a wing back they might not have equalized.

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Do you think Neilson will play him? What other youngster has he ever brought through in his time with us that has played 20 games under him?

Jack Hamilton 

and there in a nutshell you have your reason Neilson is a bit cautious with depending on kids :lol: 

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Due in Edinburgh today.

I have been hearing that for about the last week. I will belive it when it is officially announced on the HMFC website.

9 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Smith no longer had the legs for right wing back but can offer something as Centre Half.

Defo... you can see he was struggling yesterday. TBH I think he has been struggling since last season with some sort of problem... seems to affect him with about 20 minutes left.

12 minutes ago, Gambo said:

double post

Edited by Rogue Daddy

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Jack Hamilton 

and there in a nutshell you have your reason Neilson is a bit cautious with depending on kids :lol: 

His choice not to get an experienced keeper, Hamilton actually regressed season went on and the guy still employed as GK coach is at fault for that. 
I don’t think he played 20 games under him 🤔?

24 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

With regards Frear and Roberts, was it not the tactics that didn't suit them, that made them crap? Roberts went to Motherwell and played well ( no pun ) yet he was utter garbage when playing Robbie's style.

Not sure Roberts really set the heather alight there tbh. Had a decent game v Hibs which is one more than he had for us.

I think he is just a poor player. I’m no Neilson superfan but don’t think it was down to him. Although Roberts and also Frear we’re utterly bizarre signings.

Berra than you
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

His choice not to get an experienced keeper, Hamilton actually regressed season went on and the guy still employed as GK coach is at fault for that. 

Tbf, I'm sure Neilson was trying for Gilks who then shafted hearts and signed for rangers? Also think that's slightly harsh on Gallagher. He arrived the season that Hamilton made his break through. I felt Hamilton got worse under Cathro when he had an unsettled defence in front of him. Looked to be a confidence issue. If we are judging Gallagher on that it's only fair to look at Harry Stone who by all accounts is Gordon's replacement in a few years.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Rogue Daddy said:

Defo... you can see he was struggling yesterday. TBH I think he has been struggling since last season with some sort of problem... seems to affect him with about 20 minutes left.

He’s always had problems in the latter part of games. When Berra came on for Halkett against St Mirren away two years ago he said he thought he would probably come on for Smith as he suffers from cramp late in games. Levein used to sub him a lot, I can’t remember the exact figures but he either missed or was taken off in about a third of the games we played up until last season. 
He had Covid, it might be something to do with that also. 

Rick Sanchez

Do we actually have an attacking wing back? That's no slight on anyone btw. Smith, Cochrane and Halliday can be solid.

That's why I liked Shay Logan, he was always making runs and overlaps.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Berra than you said:

Tbf, I'm sure Neilson was trying for Gilks who then shafted hearts and signed for rangers? Also think that's slightly harsh on Gallagher. He arrived the season that Hamilton made his break through. I felt Hamilton got worse under Cathro when he had an unsettled defence in front of him. Looked to be a confidence issue. If we are judging Gallagher on that it's only fair to look at Harry Stone who by all accounts is Gordon's replacement in a few years.

He signed for Rangers on probably double or triple what we paid him. 
Whilst you are correct about Hamilton and Cathro things like his positioning and decision making got worse, as did his kicking. All things that should be worked in in training. 
As for Gallagher we can judge him on his work with Zlamal, Doyle and Perriera if that’s a better way of analysing his ability to improve a GK?

Lee McCulloch was at Hamilton v Kilmarnock on Saturday. Possibly scouting the boy Jamie Hamilton if I had to take a stab at who he was there to look at.

Goes without saying a RB is needed.

Another striker, possibly 2 if Gnaduillet isn't featuring.

I'd like another winger to be signed as well personally. But again quality would need to be above what we have already.

Sooner we get Woodburn/Devlin the better. As good as Haring and Beni were yesterday. We had zero support for Boyce in the box for crosses. One of the midfield needs to be making those late surges in to the box to help.

2 hours ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Really need two wingbacks that get forward if we are going to stick with the 5221 formation. Yesterday was as like playing with a flat back 5 with Ginelly and GMS as wing backs. 

Exactly. Doesn’t work with the wingbacks we have. 

2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Do we actually have an attacking wing back? That's no slight on anyone btw. Smith, Cochrane and Halliday can be solid.

That's why I liked Shay Logan, he was always making runs and overlaps.

No we don't really. Logan perhaps and Brandon but that kids no luck.

Gino could very well be great there but we need him further up pitch. Connor Smith played there preseason and seemed to do well.

I can't say it too many times, rwb please s our top priority. I'd hope the club see this ablnd have been working to address it with quality similar to Beni and Woodburn

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

You think jack hamiltons shiteness as a keeper gets attributed to the goalkeeper coach? The lad is responsible for his own performance and mistakes. Yes he played more than 20 under Neilson and another 20 under cathro. And his performances from day 1  (when he gave away a penalty against Hibs on his debut) onwards to the present day, were substandard, meaning now at age 27 he is a Morton player. Ultimately he was just another kid with talent that couldn’t handle playing in front of big crowds. It happens. End of the day it can’t be coached. Some players just cannot deal with it and perform despite looking good at youth level. 
Yeah mate I’m sure if we changed the GK coach Hamilton would be Scotland and Liverpool’s / Chelsea’s number 1, right mate sure 🤔  no. There’s only so much coaches can do. The player has to walk the walk. End of the day you play a kid, you take a big risk. 

12 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

He took a knock in the 2nd half yesterday and worsened it when he sprinted 2/3 of the length of the pitch to track back, and then again when he went into a hard 50/50 with one of their attackers. He limped off at full time but was really struggling the last 10mins or so and our lack of having anyone suitable on the bench might have worsened an otherwise minor injury. Hopefully it's nothing but if he's carrying that knock into the next game then that could be a problem.

Berra than you
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He signed for Rangers on probably double or triple what we paid him. 
Whilst you are correct about Hamilton and Cathro things like his positioning and decision making got worse, as did his kicking. All things that should be worked in in training. 
As for Gallagher we can judge him on his work with Zlamal, Doyle and Perriera if that’s a better way of analysing his ability to improve a GK?

Fair points on Hamilton. Definitely something went wrong there. Not sure we can count Doyle and Zlamal, older pros should not need to be improved and in all honesty probably can't be improved all that much. Joel? Less said about him the better. Can maybe stick some of the blame at Gallagher's door there, but the boys been hopeless since he left us also.

Pasquale for King
Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You think jack hamiltons shiteness as a keeper gets attributed to the goalkeeper coach? The lad is responsible for his own performance and mistakes. Yes he played more than 20 under Neilson and another 20 under cathro. And his performances from day 1  (when he gave away a penalty against Hibs on his debut) onwards to the present day, were substandard, meaning now at age 27 he is a Morton player. Ultimately he was just another kid with talent that couldn’t handle playing in front of big crowds. It happens. End of the day it can’t be coached. Some players just cannot deal with it and perform despite looking good at youth level. 
Yeah mate I’m sure if we changed the GK coach Hamilton would be Scotland and Liverpool’s / Chelsea’s number 1, right mate sure 🤔  no. There’s only so much coaches can do. The player has to walk the walk. End of the day you play a kid, you take a big risk. 

I never like him. To much like his cousin Macdonald. 
Playing in front of a big crowd doesn’t affect basics that he had at the beginning of the season that he regressed with. Something simple as standing out with your goals to accept pass backs. Are you saying his kicking couldn’t be worked on in training? 
What’s the point of having a GK coach if he can’t improve the players, especially youngsters.

Would you say his work with Hamilton, Zlamal, Doyle, Perriera and now Stewart is worthy of defending?

16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s always had problems in the latter part of games. When Berra came on for Halkett against St Mirren away two years ago he said he thought he would probably come on for Smith as he suffers from cramp late in games. Levein used to sub him a lot, I can’t remember the exact figures but he either missed or was taken off in about a third of the games we played up until last season. 
He had Covid, it might be something to do with that also. 

👍

7 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

No we don't really. Logan perhaps and Brandon but that kids no luck.

Gino could very well be great there but we need him further up pitch. Connor Smith played there preseason and seemed to do well.

I can't say it too many times, rwb please s our top priority. I'd hope the club see this ablnd have been working to address it with quality similar to Beni and Woodburn

We need to give him the ball much more in positions where he can run at defenders. He was starved of the ball yesterday when he was in acres of space Cochrane ignoring him in favour of back passes or long crossfield balls.

6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

He took a knock in the 2nd half yesterday and worsened it when he sprinted 2/3 of the length of the pitch to track back, and then again when he went into a hard 50/50 with one of their attackers. He limped off at full time but was really struggling the last 10mins or so and our lack of having anyone suitable on the bench might have worsened an otherwise minor injury. Hopefully it's nothing but if he's carrying that knock into the next game then that could be a problem.

👍... didn't realise he had a knock yesterday, just seen him crouching a couple of times and slow to get back. Remember him last season struggling towards the end of some games.

8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

He didn't help himself mind by not going down for treatment on a couple of instances.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We need to give him the ball much more in positions where he can run at defenders. He was starved of the ball yesterday when he was in acres of space Cochrane ignoring him in favour of back passes or long crossfield balls.

Definitely, we should be ramming the ball down his throat to be honest. 
What doesn’t help is Smith being unable to find him or encourage him to go at his man, he had the beating of both their LBs yesterday. Smith demanding the ball and then going backwards with it hardly helps our attacking either. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

What doesn’t help is Smith being unable to find him or encourage him to go at his man, he had the beating of both their LBs yesterday. Smith demanding the ball and then going backwards with it hardly helps our attacking either. 

He switcehd over to the left and it was as if he turned invisible to Cochrane particularly. When you look at the chaos Boyle causes teams with his direct running (forget about his diving) then this should be an example to give Gino the ball.

If nothing else it will help his confidence as he looked a bit dejected before he was taken off yesterday.

A_A wehatethehibs
12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I never like him. To much like his cousin Macdonald. 
Playing in front of a big crowd doesn’t affect basics that he had at the beginning of the season that he regressed with. Something simple as standing out with your goals to accept pass backs. Are you saying his kicking couldn’t be worked on in training? 
What’s the point of having a GK coach if he can’t improve the players, especially youngsters.

Would you say his work with Hamilton, Zlamal, Doyle, Perriera and now Stewart is worthy of defending?

Don’t you think he was working on these things mate? What do you think he was doing at training? Just sitting there doing nothing? Fact is, he regressed because mentally the boy was not strong enough to bounce back from his mistakes, he was a bag of nerves. So instead, the mistakes compounded and increasing. And it cost his team mates their results and affected theirs and the managers confidence in him so he would look around for friends in the team, and find none. That’s not something coaches can protect him from. Because at the end of the day, you cost your team points and your relationships with teammates goes down the tubes unfortunately. And the same goes for a young defender that cocks up, like McGhee. Or a young forward that misses good chances like Morrison. Or can’t cross a ball like Moore or Henderson. Folk think blooding a young player into a club like this is just easy and should happen by default. But there are standards and a strong group of players will not accept substandard players being on the pitch. The phrase is “if you’re good enough you’re old enough” and that is spot on. You’ve got to be good enough. That’s the fundamental of blooding a youngster. But we definitely do need to get better at it and thankfully new personnel in the youth/development side have been installed by Savage so we will see. 

As for the GK coach I don’t really know him or his work. But I would be more critical of the recruitment of all them abject substandard keepers than the coaching of them. There’s only so much improving you can do with keepers who make mistakes. And stewart btw is a pound shop cheap backup for Gordon. Anyway another terrific tangent for this thread, it has really gone everywhere :lol: 

46 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I have been hearing that for about the last week. I will belive it when it is officially announced on the HMFC website.

But Robbie said it this time, not some random on JKB 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He switcehd over to the left and it was as if he turned invisible to Cochrane particularly. When you look at the chaos Boyle causes teams with his direct running (forget about his diving) then this should be an example to give Gino the ball.

If nothing else it will help his confidence as he looked a bit dejected before he was taken off yesterday.

Only for a short period, his main problem is the limited player directly behind him. 
He knew he was at fault for the goal and his head dropped after that, maybe should’ve been subbed before the last minute of injury time 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😂?

A_A wehatethehibs
17 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

The worst pass in all of football when average players try it. It should be banned unless you’re a Paul Scholes and can absolutely fizz them. Ours yesterday were all far too high and far too slow. Easily defended. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Don’t you think he was working on these things mate? What do you think he was doing at training? Just sitting there doing nothing? Fact is, he regressed because mentally the boy was not strong enough to bounce back from his mistakes, he was a bag of nerves. So instead, the mistakes compounded and increasing. And it cost his team mates their results and affected theirs and the managers confidence in him so he would look around for friends in the team, and find none. That’s not something coaches can protect him from. Because at the end of the day, you cost your team points and your relationships with teammates goes down the tubes unfortunately. And the same goes for a young defender that cocks up, like McGhee. Or a young forward that misses good chances like Morrison. Or can’t cross a ball like Moore or Henderson. Folk think blooding a young player into a club like this is just easy and should happen by default. But there are standards and a strong group of players will not accept substandard players being on the pitch. The phrase is “if you’re good enough you’re old enough” and that is spot on. You’ve got to be good enough. That’s the fundamental of blooding a youngster. But we definitely do need to get better at it and thankfully new personnel in the youth/development side have been installed by Savage so we will see. 

As for the GK coach I don’t really know him or his work. But I would be more critical of the recruitment of all them abject substandard keepers than the coaching of them. There’s only so much improving you can do with keepers who make mistakes. And stewart btw is a pound shop cheap backup for Gordon. Anyway another terrific tangent for this thread, it has really gone everywhere :lol: 

If you’re not improving them with the work you’re doing what’s the point? You have to do what it takes to make the player better, even if it’s a crap player. 
If it’s the mental side get someone to help him, Clare had to do this himself. It’s part of the game now. GKs after a mistake go and drink water, reset their mind and go again. 
My niece is a psychologist and my great nephew is now playing for Falkirk and it’s interesting all the things that go into improving a player. Yesterday was his first chance to watch Gordon warm up, he was in his seat by 2:10pm to catch it 😆
We need more tangents imo 😜

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

It's not their age, as far as I can make out, it seems to be more that they are not good enough or not ready. 

I thought that many on here said the one thing that Levein fixed was the academy.

Nelly Terraces
1 hour ago, MattyK82 said:

Absolutely, this is a big week ahead. 

Woodburn and Devlin aside, it’s become patently clear we need a RWB. Smith just can’t play that role. In my opinion, he’s dropped from a 7/10 every week to a 6 or even a 5. His passing yesterday was terrible and his crossing as well. Cochrane looks an accomplished defender but he doesn’t offer a great deal going forward. If we are going to continue with this system, RWB is a priority. I’ve seen others have touted McAneff for that role. I think he’d offer more going forward but I have no idea how he would do in a defensive sense.

CB of course still needed.

And given how threadbare we are up front, a striker too. Without gnando in the team, we are missing that presence up front and in games like yesterday, having someone in that ilk could make all the difference.

All in all (Devlin and Woodburn included), hoping for 5 signings (of a good level of course).

Popescu and Roberts leaving would also be nice.

Sad to say but agree with this, he's been poor for a while now. Still better than Halliday though who is utterly horrific & didn't do a single thing right yesterday, crossing, passing, ball retention under pressure, you name it, abysmal. Like being a player down before we even kick off. 

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Sad to say but agree with this, he's been poor for a while now. Still better than Halliday though who is utterly horrific & didn't do a single thing right yesterday, crossing, passing, ball retention under pressure, you name it, abysmal. Like being a player down before we even kick off. 

He played a nice pass for the pen, probably about it.

4 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Halliday's best games have been at LB.

kingantti1874
25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You are correct - we need a right back who can go past him.. that’s how you create space.. 

smith is one of the biggest issues we have 

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

I thought that many on here said the one thing that Levein fixed was the academy.

To be fair, I thought that myself back in 2017-18. There were 6 or 7 kids who looked very exciting. Then Levein bought in a steaming pile of journeymen in that 18-19 summer transfer window 

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

If only Ginnelly had played like a wing back they might not have equalized.

But he's not a wing back and neither is GMS, just two examples of players asked to play out of position.  Ginnelly in particular was lost back in our half.  Basically our tactics were crap.

Smith was good enough for the wing back roll 3-4 years ago. But has lost the legs to do it for 90 minutes. It's a young energetic man's game.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Sean Clare would have fitted perfectly to this system in the RWB role 

no he wouldn’t 😂 he also need to be able to defend.. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***