***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

38 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

By taking this length of time to bring in these quality players I’m afraid Joe Savage has made a rod for his own back

Should these “Quality “ signings fail to hit the ground running, then I can guarantee the rumble of discontent amongst the Hearts fans will be very loud very quickly.

Joe Savage must get these first couple signings bang on, or some fans will be questioning his credibility sooner than he would have expected 

Nah. Fans will blame Jhobbie Smellson for wanting them if they’re gash and praise Joe if they’re great.

Its the way of the world 

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

8 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Must be the first football club to keep so many consecutive clean sheets, whilst also being a defensive shambles. 

TBF the first time we played anyone with some football nous we were 2-0 down in 20 mins . Sunderland cut us open pretty easily last week for the pen and goal . 

Savage is in danger of failing at the first hurdle. Season starts in a week and we have made one real signing……a loan. It has now become utterly shambolic. The current squad is bottom 6 material and our midfield is honking. I get the whole waiting game for the right player but there is waiting and stupidity. I am verging on the latter. 

How good would it be to get two major signings before the Tims next weekend. I'm keeping the faith in our recruitment team 🙏💯

15 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

Savage is in danger of failing at the first hurdle. Season starts in a week and we have made one real signing……a loan. It has now become utterly shambolic. The current squad is bottom 6 material and our midfield is honking. I get the whole waiting game for the right player but there is waiting and stupidity. I am verging on the latter. 

Would you rather we had signed 6 random huddies who can't string 3 passes together? 

If we can't get in a player that would improve the first 11 (for the right price) then we shouldn't sign anyone, simple

Much better to have less players but spare cash to keep looking than tie down useless players on long contracts

8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

This. We have Souttar, Smith, Kingsley, Haring, Halkett, Cochrane and Popescu who can all cover the back 3 and most of them can also play in a 2 if needed, so "desperate" is a stretch. I think people are assuming Souttar will be injured or something. 

Souttar and Smith are the only players on that list who have proven they are good enough in our defence. Halkett has been discussed to death so won’t labour the point. Popescu is shite. Kingsley has been poor since he signed a permanent deal. Haring has barely featured in defence since he’s been with us and it’s way too early to tell if Cochrane will do a job. 

Anyone who claims not to be concerned by our defence is kidding themselves on imo. 

17 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

Would you rather we had signed 6 random huddies who can't string 3 passes together? 

If we can't get in a player that would improve the first 11 (for the right price) then we shouldn't sign anyone, simple

Much better to have less players but spare cash to keep looking than tie down useless players on long contracts

I see your point but perhaps their ambitions and what they can actually achieve are two different things. It feels like we have went for quality which in theory is great but only if you have a chance of getting them which right now it feels we don’t. If we go with your tactics we may never actually sign a player…..always missing out.…..simples

41 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

hardly.  Would you rather we panic bought ransoms like Levein did ?

It’s hardly “utterly shambolic” 🤣

siegementality

But, but, we have deals nearly over the line!! That’ll be a moving line, one that moves further and further away.

20 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Exactly. Right now is just a case of wait and see. Not ideal, that we haven’t brought in the players we need but we needed a different approach. 

8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Souttar, Smith, Kingsley, Halkett, Cochrane is solid to start the season with, plus Halliday can play LWB or LB. Early days for Cochrane but he's slotted in quite well and looks better than some of the disasters we've signed in defence in recent seasons.

Halkett is poor and Kingsley is never a cb. We need 2 decent cb’s brought in if we want to play 3 at the back. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, Valois No1 said:

I do wonder if you realise what you are saying here?

I for one am glad we are trying to get the right quality in, if we fail to get them and end up having to play Pollock, C.smith and Logan then for me that's better than signing some huddies/Journeyman from league 2.

2 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I for one am glad we are trying to get the right quality in, if we fail to get them and end up having to play Pollock, C.smith and Logan then for me that's better than signing some huddies/Journeyman from league 2.

Sorry but if we fail to get the right quality players in then we’ve failed. Just because we might not sign huddies isn’t a success. Trying means nothing on its own. 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Sorry but if we fail to get the right quality players in then we’ve failed. Just because we might not sign huddies isn’t a success. Trying means nothing on its own. 

So is getting ‘huddies’ in less of a success than getting no-one in? Asking for a friend. 😄

Just now, davemclaren said:

So is getting ‘huddies’ in less of a success than getting no-one in? Asking for a friend. 😄

😂 neither are an option. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Hopefully not. 😄

Surprisingly, for a glass half empty guy like myself, I still feel we’ll do well in this window. 

1 minute ago, Barack said:

We signing someone from Hibs?🤔

Maybe. Or maybe I just like to share a cheery song with the word ‘maybe’ in it. 

BackOfTheNet

The quest shan’t continue today so that Whelmsley can be provided a much earned rest.

Instead today I embark on a voyage for whelms…

:boat:

25 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Surprisingly, for a glass half empty guy like myself, I still feel we’ll do well in this window. 

Why do you feel we’ll do well in this window ?  

6 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Why do you feel we’ll do well in this window ?  

I tentatively believe what Savage says. He seems like a step in the right direction. Though, as I’ve said, it is just a case of wait and see, for now.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, jbee647 said:

By taking this length of time to bring in these quality players I’m afraid Joe Savage has made a rod for his own back

Should these “Quality “ signings fail to hit the ground running, then I can guarantee the rumble of discontent amongst the Hearts fans will be very loud very quickly.

Joe Savage must get these first couple signings bang on, or some fans will be questioning his credibility sooner than he would have expected 

Nah, he was always Donald ducked with a certain section of our support. 

It's the way of some-demand instant success, no patience, moan like **** if it doesn't happen straight away, demand folk oot when they go in the huff. 

Rinse and repeat. Could be a player, manager, coach, even director and owner. 

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Tune and banging TV programme. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's the way of some-demand instant success, no patience, moan like **** if it doesn't happen straight away, demand folk oot when they go in the huff. 

Whereas he’s got a free pass from you for life.

UPWARD PROJECTORY

1 hour ago, Barack said:

What's wrong with ambition?

Get enough of it on here.

"We should go after...(insert player out of our supposed budget).

You want Hearts to turn around and say they tried to get a couple of signings that would instantly boost the first team & crowd interest. But because of time limits, agents, or personal demands by players, they settled on a couple of average one's instead? You realise what that reaction brings amongst Hearts fans, aye?

You can't say to the poster above about his tactics to sign, we may never sign a player. With yours, we'd be signing shite for the duration instead...as any signing is better than none? 

Read what you're typing.

Not at all. There are good players out there in our budgets that could have improved us. 

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Time will tell

2 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

Not at all. There are good players out there in our budgets that could improve us. 

You’re welcome. 

38 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

When you have a clear out like we’ve had and your replacing so many with so few (it appears) and your starting to cut it fine and time is marching on and you have so far produced one youngster on loan, you better get it bang on right when you’ve delivered what’s coming. Quality quality quality we’ve been told. If he signs pish after all that chat, he can feck off 

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

When you have a clear out like we’ve had and your replacing so many with so few (it appears) and your starting to cut it fine and time is marching on and you have so far produced one youngster on loan, you better get it bang on right when you’ve delivered what’s coming. Quality quality quality we’ve been told. If he signs pish after all that chat, he can feck off 

Yeah I mainly agree. The point is he needs to deliver. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Aye, folk ****ing off quickly tends to fix problems. 

11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, folk ****ing off quickly tends to fix problems. 

Replacing people not up to the job with people who are up to the job. That’s what we’re doing now with the playing squad. If the people responsible for improving the squad patently haven’t done it, and NOBODY can judge that YET, but just to be clear here, you would keep them on ?

I hope we are monitoring the young lad Zak Rudden. I also think Harper and MacGregor from Inverness both look promising talents.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Replacing people not up to the job with people who are up to the job. That’s what we’re doing now with the playing squad. If the people responsible for improving the squad patently haven’t done it, and NOBODY can judge that YET, but just to be clear here, you would keep them on ?

I'd give the team a plan and a timescale and stick by it. 

I'd review it regularly. 

I wouldn't sack everyone immediately for failures. 

I don't see how that would improve us on the pitch, financially or otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I think you are right . Even if we get the people in we want this window I think we will still be in a rebuilding phase . The reconstruction of the football department , imo , indicates we are prepared to play the long game . I , for one , welcome that

Things may gel immediately but , unlikely I know , I think we have to show some patience 

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'd review it regularly. 

There is a short window of opportunity for the recruitment team headed by JS to produce a squad for next season. Not so short it can’t be done but when the clock stops it will become apparent quite quickly if they have succeeded or failed. Then he gets another brief chance in January to fix any possible errors. That will then be 3 windows and a year of time he’ll have had. For a guy brought in for his vast experience and knowledge and contacts in the game, and assuming he is being backed and not hung out to dry or being overly hamstrung by money, that’s enough time.

Edited by JimmyCant

12 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Obviously if there are failings over several seasons then a change would be made. Recruitment team has only now been overhauled though so will take time to see benefits. 

I think people (in general) are forgetting that this isn't a normal transfer window either. 

We're still in a pandemic (hopefully the end) but I'm sure players are thinking double before moving - especially if they would have to leave their family behind

And we're also seeing the fallout of Brexit for overseas players

Coupled with a probably tighter budget and it's not surprising it's taking us time to find the right players

If we get 6 out of say 10 players signed who are deemed a success we have beaten the odds

One or two of those may be real success stories and the others do well enough

All clubs have failures in the transfer market and it should be obvious from experience that 3 or 4 out of 10 will fail to meet expectations

That is the footballing world with no certainties even if a large fee is paid though you hope that reduces the 'failure' rate

Batistuta87

Early social media posts today. 

Got a ticket ballot update and an "On This Day" 1-1 draw against Rangers. 

Do your thing, JKB 😁

Edited by Batistuta87

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
14 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

If we get 6 out of say 10 players signed who are deemed a success we have beaten the odds

All clubs have failures in the transfer market and it should be obvious from experience that 3 or 4 out of 10 will fail to meet expectations

That is the footballing world with no certainties even if a large fee is paid though you hope that reduces the 'failure' rate

Especially as signings at our level at much more of a punt. Still, there's a difference between signings that don't work out and those that are just totally baffling from the start.

Gordon Ramsay
6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Early social media posts today. 

Got a ticket ballot update and an "On This Day" 1-1 draw against Rangers. 

Do your thing, JKB 😁

Getting all the nonsense out the way before a big announcement? 

We can but hope 

29 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'd review it regularly. 

More five year plans… the inactivity of the current regime saw us watching years of decline which ended in humiliating relegation.  
Be under no illusions, we have a weak squad which needs strengthened.

It’s all very well saying, we can only afford X but the goodwill of fans has already been eroded and this asset needs to be grown and not left….
Watching another season where we need hibs to “hibs it” and they did it twice last year, whilst we languish in the bottom 6 playing Robbie’s bland version of football will not be acceptable. 

25 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Our success rate in the transfer market since Budge/Levein took over must be around the 15% mark so 60% would be a remarkable turnaround.

gorgie rd eh11
7 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

More five year plans… the inactivity of the current regime saw us watching years of decline which ended in humiliating relegation.  
Be under no illusions, we have a weak squad which needs strengthened.

It’s all very well saying, we can only afford X but the goodwill of fans has already been eroded and this asset needs to be grown and not left….
Watching another season where we need hibs to “hibs it” and they did it twice last year, whilst we languish in the bottom 6 playing Robbie’s bland version of football will not be acceptable. 

Hibsed it 3 times. Lost at Hampden 3 times while favourites. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***