***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

kingantti1874
39 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

In all seriousness Hibs desperately need defenders but they're signing multiple wingers and midfielders, often 2-3 for the same position and often paying fees for them. Their recruitment is very weird and you have to assume this one came from Gordon.

we desperately need defenders 

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

We need a centre half a centre midfielder and a centre forward our first 11 is decent but if they drop off through injury we are ****ed 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Not as badly as they do. Just take a break from slagging Hearts to slag Hibs once in a while. You'll feel better for it.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Hearts fans will support the team and the manager. Meanwhile you will continue to wallow in your misery, have fun 

im not in any misery, I’m certainly not hoping that neilson fails.  I am just pointing out the reality, whether you believe me or don’t believe me doesn’t make me any less correct. 

1 minute ago, pointon said:

We need a centre half a centre midfielder and a centre forward our first 11 is decent but if they drop off through injury we are ****ed 

Our first 11 isn’t decent. Front three look good but midfield and defence need additions. Our current squad won’t cut the mustard. 

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Must be the first football club to keep so many consecutive clean sheets, whilst also being a defensive shambles. 

kingantti1874
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Not as badly as they do. Just take a break from slagging Hearts to slag Hibs once in a while. You'll feel better for it.

So pointing out we need defenders is slagging hearts ? Right you are . Btw - think you need to wind your neck in - I haven’t slagged anyone but I also don’t live in a fantasy world. 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Must be the first football club to keep so many consecutive clean sheets, whilst also being a defensive shambles. 

ok. We are great at the back.  Craig Halkett is easily good enough and doesn’t at all have problem with positioning, John Souttar will

nevet ever get injured ever again and Michael Smith is definitely  as good as he was 3 years ago!!! And we have lots of cover behind those guys should any of them for any reason miss a game

That make you happy? 

**** sake. We need defenders, end of story 

Edited by kingantti1874

36 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I recall him because he was the first player younger than me to play for our first team. Sigh.

According to Wikipedia (not always accurate I know), he only made 116 appearances for 8 clubs over an 11-year period.

Scott Crabbe for me in 1986/87. 

Although I think we were born within weeks of each other.

Smashing Hearts player.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

So pointing out we need defenders is slagging hearts ? Right you are . Btw - think you need to wind your neck in - I haven’t slagged anyone but I also don’t live in a fantasy world. 

Everyone knows we need a CB and maybe a RWB. Does that mean we can't discuss other teams? Even without a new recruit I wouldn't swap any of our defenders for theirs.

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

ok. We are great at the back.  Craig Halkett is easily good enough and doesn’t at all have problem with positioning, John Souttar will

nevet ever get injured ever again and Michael Smith is definitely  as good as he was 3 years ago!!! And we have lots of cover behind those guys should any of them for any reason miss a game

That make you happy? 

**** sake. We need defenders, end of story 

From one extreme to another. The solution probably lies in the middle ...

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Everyone knows we need a CB and maybe a RWB. Does that mean we can't discuss other teams? Even without a new recruit I wouldn't swap any of our defenders for theirs.

Who said you couldn’t discuss other teams? 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Are you for real our squad is totally inadequate for the season ahead ?

kingantti1874
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

From one extreme to another. The solution probably lies in the middle ...

mall I did was point out we need defenders and I’m subject to a torrent of horse shit. 

Mr Elwood P
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

mall I did was point out we need defenders and I’m subject to a torrent of horse shit. 

Probably the use of 'desperately' got folks backs up. We need a top quality centre back but the current back three will be fine if we need to hold off until the end of the window to get the quality required. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Watching Sheep. Like Celtic tons of energy all frenetic though. 

Can see early games being played at 100mph. Midfield players are key not centre backs 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Probably the use of 'desperately' got folks backs up. We need a top quality centre back but the current back three will be fine if we need to hold off until the end of the window to get the quality required. 

I think we do. We are a John Souttar injury away from a real problem. That said - as I’ve said many times when defending Joe Savage, we need to do what we are doing and wait for the right player.  

13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I think we do. We are a John Souttar injury away from a real problem. That said - as I’ve said many times when defending Joe Savage, we need to do what we are doing and wait for the right player.  

I would say we are a Souter, Smith or Boyce injury away from a problem

13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I don't think you've said anything wrong, it's pretty clear we need a centre half and a centre mid. 

Savage Vince
40 minutes ago, pointon said:

Are you for real our squad is totally inadequate for the season ahead ?

You need a nurse. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Well watch English football then and leave us to watch our team in our country 

I watch both Einstein. That’s not the point I’m making

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

I don't think you've said anything wrong, it's pretty clear we need a centre half and a centre mid. 

I would prioritize centre mids myself. Get them right you solve half the problem that you don't suffer the pressure that cracks defenders 

BackOfTheNet
36 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Watching Sheep. Like Celtic tons of energy all frenetic though. 

Can see early games being played at 100mph. Midfield players are key not centre backs 

Hope not, as it’s not something we’ve done since the cup final. Even then other than that maybe Dundee at home the first game was played like that. Struggling to think of others.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Guaranteed to be signings next 3 days, when I hardly have any access and miss the whelms. 

Then again.......

Guest ToqueJambo
51 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

This. We have Souttar, Smith, Kingsley, Haring, Halkett, Cochrane and Popescu who can all cover the back 3 and most of them can also play in a 2 if needed, so "desperate" is a stretch. I think people are assuming Souttar will be injured or something. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
25 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Yes, but every team outwith the OF is a [Name of Best Player] away from a problem. I don't see much depth in our rivals' squads yet people seems o expect us to have two players of equal stature for every.position. How can we a) afford that and b ) keep the players not playing happy?

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

This. We have Souttar, Smith, Kingsley, Haring, Halkett, Cochrane and Popescu who can all cover the back 3 and most of them can also play in a 2 if needed, so "desperate" is a stretch. I think people are assuming Souttar will be injured or something. 

popescu 🤦‍♂️ You’ve mentioned 3 players who are predominantly full backs.  

that said - smith for me should be back in the back 3 and we sign a new RB or RWB

LarrysRightFoot
7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Good result for the sheep.

Good result for both the sheep and hobos. I’m jealous but the predicament we are in is our own doing. We need to focus on getting back into Europe and challenging in the cups (some we have done tbf) and at the top end of the league.

BackOfTheNet
10 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Guaranteed to be signings next 3 days, when I hardly have any access and miss the whelms. 

Then again.......

Would only be tomorrow this week if at all. I’m guessing a no though. We have full working week after ICT and before Celtic. You would hope something would happen then. But basically as we’re within that well period now I’m having my doubts. Especially if the hope people are clinging onto about the end of month final payment for new players from their old clubs is true. But as I say, if Celtic comes and goes and we enter the following week not signing anyone… or even signing someone that you wouldn’t think we’d have to wait on their final big wage being paid in July… I would fear for the whelms at that point.

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

popescu 🤦‍♂️ You’ve mentioned 3 players who are predominantly full backs.  

that said - smith for me should be back in the back 3 and we sign a new RB or RWB

I just think we're covered between those players mentioned for the start of the season so can take our time finding a good long-term CB. I'd rather bring in more firepower up front, or a more attacking left or right wing back, and some more creativity in midfield if it came down to a choice. I also don't write off players as quickly as some do. Halkett may yet find consistent form in a back 3. Popescue is simply back-up. We can't afford many high quality players for the bench.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Batistuta87
18 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Would only be tomorrow this week if at all. I’m guessing a no though. We have full working week after ICT and before Celtic. You would hope something would happen then. But basically as we’re within that well period now I’m having my doubts. Especially if the hope people are clinging onto about the end of month final payment for new players from their old clubs is true. But as I say, if Celtic comes and goes and we enter the following week not signing anyone… or even signing someone that you wouldn’t think we’d have to wait on their final big wage being paid in July… I would fear for the whelms at that point.

I put my whelms in the cupboard earlier. Keeping them safe for when I really need them. 

(FYI - thought you'd appreciate this - my phone has now learned "whelms" and is no longer auto correcting it to wheels 😂)

Edited by Batistuta87

BackOfTheNet
Just now, Batistuta87 said:

I put my whelms in the cupboard earlier. Keeping them safe for when I really need them. 

(FYI - thought you'd appreciate this - my phone has now learned "whelms" and is no longer auto correcting it to wheels)

:D

Too right. The phone makers have enough money, they should be able to find whelms.

Even if we can’t. :(

Was hoping we would go for McGrath but out of our budget

St Mirren have rejected £300,000 bid from Wigan for midfielder Jamie McGrath and £100,000 bid from Rotherham for defender Conor McCarthy. Buddies now braced for improved offers. @scotsunsport

50 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Plenty cover numbers wise but most of it poor quality. 

Bazzas right boot
40 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Good result for both the sheep and hobos. I’m jealous but the predicament we are in is our own doing. We need to focus on getting back into Europe and challenging in the cups (some we have done tbf) and at the top end of the league.

Expected hibs to win easily, Dons result was a bit of a surprise tho.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Playing against our so far?

We bloody shouldnt be looking a defensive shambles.

One game against a side that could probably hold their own in our top league,

Lo and behold, we look a defensive shambles.

But it doesnt count as it was a kick about.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Plenty cover numbers wise but most of it poor quality. 

Souttar, Smith, Kingsley, Halkett, Cochrane is solid to start the season with, plus Halliday can play LWB or LB. Early days for Cochrane but he's slotted in quite well and looks better than some of the disasters we've signed in defence in recent seasons.

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Let’s not forget Gordon (Shudder)

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Agree. 

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

I would prioritize centre mids myself. Get them right you solve half the problem that you don't suffer the pressure that cracks defenders 

Tbh I've felt we've needed a centre midfielder for the last 5 years.

8 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

A season lasts 38 games and a 2 year contract 60+ appearances so one game against Celtic, IN CONTEXT,  is not worth hurriedly making mistakes AGAIN. 

Have faith, stay calm, breathe 

I agree with this. There are obvious benefits to getting your business done early (and I'm getting impatient myself) but ultimately getting the right players in is far more important. If the right players are attainable but are making us wait for whatever reason, then "getting your business done early" logically means moving on from those targets and signing players who we see as inferior or not the best fit.

The summer 2018 window is often cited as the best example of us getting players in early, but the likely reason we were able to do so was because the players were almost all punts from poorer leagues. Getting them in early probably helped us to start the season like a train, but that was never sustainable because most of the players we signed weren't good enough and ultimately we finished 6th and then 12th. I'd have taken a slower start that season if we'd signed 2/3 quality players instead of Garuccio, Bozanic, Mulraney, MacLean, Edwards, Zlámal, Doyle, Lee and Ikpeazu.

None of this is to say this won't end up being yet another poor window, but it's far too early to judge just now.

9 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Tbh I've felt we've needed a centre midfielder for the last 5 years.

This combined with the fact that we never leave anyone up for corners etc means there’s not much relief when we’re under pressure 

By taking this length of time to bring in these quality players I’m afraid Joe Savage has made a rod for his own back

Should these “Quality “ signings fail to hit the ground running, then I can guarantee the rumble of discontent amongst the Hearts fans will be very loud very quickly.

Joe Savage must get these first couple signings bang on, or some fans will be questioning his credibility sooner than he would have expected 

Edited by jbee647

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***