2021 Scottish Parliament Election (Thursday 6th May 2021)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• sadj

• Unknown user

• ri Alban

JimmyCant
3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There is no appetite for another referendum. 

Apart from the division amongst the people, how much will it cost the Scottish tax payer?

Are you serious ? No appetite ? At least half the electorate have an appetite for it 

Enzo Chiefo
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Where are you getting this info from?

Was in a recent article I read, Pasquale. Will try to get a link.

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Who owned/ran it (the Balfour?), Norm was it a guy called Archer?

Nah, it wasn't the Balfour. It was Bacchus I worked in. It was set up like a wine bar type thing and looked quite nice but had a couple of dafties who were regulars. 

Wasn't even that rough, only got threatened to be stabbed once. 

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Just over 50% of the electorate that voted for Independence parties. How much is Brexit costing or the Tories giving contracts worth billions to their friends and donors? The last one cost £10m. 

I'm only voting on the way our country is being run, unionist or not. And the policies of the SNP are shit.

Cancelling the all weather track at Musselburgh and all their draconian laws on people who enjoy a pint or glass of wine

Edited by Nucky Thompson

ArcticJambo
Just now, Norm said:

Nah, it wasn't the Balfour. It was Bacchus I worked in. It was set up like a wine bar type thing and looked quite nice but had a couple of dafties who were regulars. 

Wasn't even that rough, only got threatened to be stabbed once. 

Ahh, just wondered. Old mate of mine's older brother ran the Balfour for years but havent seen him in a long time so was just wondering if he was still involved; doubt it somehow.

Still, a wine bar in Balfour Street. :lol: Glad you survived.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Think you mean the person they didn’t want to elect. 

Who will now be representing them for the next five years😂

Tactical voting = SNP landslide and your old enemy’s candidate representing you🤣

The only enemy is Nicola 'Hates Edinburgh' Sturgeon 

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Hello. 

I did not catch what Henry McLeish said, if you can, could you say what he said. 

I'd normally not engage with you, but he basically talked about the need for Labour to recognise that the "union" in its current form can't continue and that they must recognise this.

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

The only enemy is Nicola 'Hates Edinburgh' Sturgeon 

:cornette:

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

:cornette:

Come on Konrad, she can't even bring herself to stay in Bute House :biggrin2:

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Not like you to come out with such pish Nucky. 

I've been know to to  be fair, canny help my feelings though Barney :thumbsup:

Konrad von Carstein

What the actual feck does that have to do with anything? I'm sure you're just having a laugh but this she hates Edinburgh schtick is puerile..

Nucky Thompson
Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

What the actual feck does that have to do with anything? I'm sure you're just having a laugh but this she hates Edinburgh schtick is puerile..

Bute house is the official residence of the first minister of Scotland 

Konrad von Carstein

And?

It's a symbolic nonsense (in my opinion).

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

^^^^sorry if posted already.

You should apologise for posting it in the first place :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

You should apologise for posting it in the first place :lol: 

Sorry for posting it in the first place.  :laugh:

A Boy Named Crow
47 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

When Malcolm Turnbull was prime minister of Australia,  he told them they could ram Government House up their Kevin Carter, his gaff was nicer. Not unpatriotic, a bit of a toff though...

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm only voting on the way our country is being run, unionist or not. And the policies of the SNP are shit.

Cancelling the all weather track at Musselburgh and all their draconian laws on people who enjoy a pint or glass of wine

Is that all you have to moan about them? I’ve got more complaints about them and I’m a Yesser ffs. 

53 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

What are all these draconican laws? Are we taking lockdown restrictions or what exactly? A race course local issue seems a daft reason to not vote for a party. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Maybe that’s where Salmond tried it on?

Swahili Jambo

Mean time in the real world, the SNP have scooted it all over Scotland.   Makes me more proud of the Saltire on our badge

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Sorry for posting it in the first place.  :laugh:

I saw this version earlier. They both belong :lol:

image.png.cfdf65e69a42c3111fa717c65de5858e.png

dobmisterdobster
1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

Have you seen the results in Wales?

Incumbency advantage across the UK mainly due to covid.

JimmyCant

Are you threatened by words from an empire of money and gold?
Will you trade in your country's potential for the lies you've been sold?
Are you scared that the walls are too high to be breeched by the bold?
Will you stand and be counted or shut up and do what you're told?

Pretty gutted to see Alba fail to make a break through. Looks like around 600 votes on the list per constituency which likely collectively won’t make the threshold needed to elect anyone.

Depressing because it will see tens of thousands of SNP regional votes wasted and open up the back door to Unionists.

I was keen to see a parliament elected which offered an opposition to the SNP which was pro-Indy. 

Assuming Alba doesn’t dissolve, they have 5 years to educate the YES movement that both votes SNP is a waste. I wonder how much Sturgeons popularity had to do with it? At times it can feel almost cult like. 

SNP 1 & 2 worked in 2011 because the movement was smaller and managed to hit on a sweet spot in terms of constituencies won and list votes to maximise gains on the list. It won’t happen again because they will continue to dominate the constituencies meaning they’ll be lucky to snag 1 or 2 seats. 

dobmisterdobster
1 minute ago, OTT said:

I was keen to see a parliament elected which offered an opposition to the SNP which was pro-Indy. 

The SNP wasn't keen on that. They want to control the narrative.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Zlatanable said:

I disagree. It is political theatre, I agree with you on that.

But it seems like if NS is saying that, it is because this is the next kick everything into the long grass decision that will occur. 

Maybe yet another 5 years of stasis, with everybody just saying the same things, for another 5 years. 

Stasis? Falling surely

Unknown user
34 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

'I was keen to see a parliament elected which offered an opposition to the SNP which was pro-Indy.'

I don't think this will be possible whilst the SNP are the only pro-independence party that stands in the constituency ballot. 

They're not

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

They're not

No wait they are. Even the best looking talk shit sometimes. Must be the time of night

44 minutes ago, Smithee said:

No wait they are. Even the best looking talk shit sometimes. Must be the time of night

Technically the pro-independence Greens did stand candidates in some constituencies such as Cowdenbeath, so you can rest easy.

SNP doing better than I thought in the fptp votes but will suffer for not joining in the tactical voting charade of the unionists. Hopefully the green vote will hold up in the regional vote. Tories/Labour/libdems now being one party just shows the divide in Scotland and the only way to resolve this is a referendum. 

6 hours ago, OTT said:

Pretty gutted to see Alba fail to make a break through. Looks like around 600 votes on the list per constituency which likely collectively won’t make the threshold needed to elect anyone.

Depressing because it will see tens of thousands of SNP regional votes wasted and open up the back door to Unionists.

Assuming Alba doesn’t dissolve, they have 5 years to educate the YES movement that both votes SNP is a waste. I wonder how much Sturgeons popularity had to do with it? At times it can feel almost cult like. 

SNP 1 & 2 worked in 2011 because the movement was smaller and managed to hit on a sweet spot in terms of constituencies won and list votes to maximise gains on the list. It won’t happen again because they will continue to dominate the constituencies meaning they’ll be lucky to snag 1 or 2 seats. 

Where I'm at aswell. 

Both votes SNP was absolute madness. It appears tens/hundreds of thousands of people don't bother actually trying to understand how the system works. 

Oh well. 

John Findlay
8 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Ah bless. Yet another one that thinks that your point doesn’t count unless you get a majority in an electoral system that was specifically designed so that no party could achieve a majority. The fact that the SNP either achieves one or gets very close to it in every single election just shows how the country feels. 

Shows you how far the ‘opposition’ has fallen that stopping a majority is their measure of success. 

We now have the age old enemies of Conservative and Labour voting for each other’s candidates to try and stop the SNP😂

That’s the very definition of irrelevance. 

Hibsdit. 

Its like saying saying you only beat us 8-0 instead of 9, therefore its not a hanmering.

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

SNP doing better than I thought in the fptp votes but will suffer for not joining in the tactical voting charade of the unionists. Hopefully the green vote will hold up in the regional vote. Tories/Labour/libdems now being one party just shows the divide in Scotland and the only way to resolve this is a referendum. 

I'm a no voter that actually thinks a referendum is needed to put the argument to bed. However if it's another no vote would the campaign for indy ref 3 just begin immediately after?

Edited by Ainsley Harriott

Nookie Bear

SNP vote percentage seems to have peaked and doesn’t look to me enough to give them the confidence to push forward with another Indy Ref. 

8 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I'm a no voter that actually thinks a referendum is needed to put the argument to bed. However if it's another no vote would the campaign for indy ref 3 just begin immediately after?

If there is a no vote next time that's it over, at least for my lifetime

19 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Its like saying saying you only beat us 8-0 instead of 9, therefore its not a hanmering.

BBC really pushing this narrative

JimmyCant
7 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I'm a no voter that actually thinks a referendum is needed to put the argument to bed. However if it's another no vote who the campaign for indy ref 3 just begin immediately after?

I agree. If it’s NO again that really ought to be a ‘generational’ end to it. 

hughesie27
52 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Where I'm at aswell. 

Both votes SNP was absolute madness. It appears tens/hundreds of thousands of people don't bother actually trying to understand how the system works. 

Oh well. 

Or they chose to vote for Greens who don't have Alex Salmond as their figurehead

JimmyCant
40 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

SNP vote percentage seems to have peaked and doesn’t look to me enough to give them the confidence to push forward with another Indy Ref. 

I’d agree with that. Around 47% of the popular vote. Dunno what Greens overall numbers are but SNP on their own just isn’t enough.

hughesie27
12 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’d agree with that. Around 47% of the popular vote. Dunno what Greens overall numbers are but SNP on their own just isn’t enough.

I'd say having to only convince 3 or 4% of the electorate to switch to your side if pretty attainable goal.

Ainsley Harriott
25 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It would be onto Indy ref 3. It’s the SNP soul reason for existence, people saying another referendum would put this to bed are either being extremely naive or disingenuous. 

This is especially true as any referendum would be reasonably close, unless something changes. 

The SNP aren’t going to stop campaigning for indepedence until it happens. 

One of my big fears about the referendum was it ended up being a neverendum and we go round in circles. That would not be good for the country, irrespective of what side of vote you fall. 

That said as long as Scotland keep delivering a pro Indy majority, they probably have every right to go for one as that what electorate voted for. 

I think the timing for a referendum is absolutely appalling and think it’s politicians at their worst. However, we may be out this Covid crisis in the not too distant future and attentions will undoubtably turn to it. 

Yes the country is in a political paralysis where we return pro indy parliament without the majority of the population being keen on independence. As a result our governments focus will be on constitutional arguments over the next 5 years whilst our key public services continue to regress. 

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I'd say having to only convince 3 or 4% of the electorate to switch to your side if pretty attainable goal.

Been unable to do that for some time now, and we are in an angry, post-Brexit world which I thought would be the tipping point. 

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

When can we expect results today?

If it goes like yesterday then the first results will come in around 2pm and then throughout the afternoon. Edinburgh results yesterday were around 6pm. 

Maybe they'll be faster today now they know what they are doing. I think there's a couple they were still counting yesterday so might get one or two this morning.