Caught on camera.

superjack

I was watching some vids on YouTube about bad drivers caught on dash cams and found this 1. Straight away, I recognised the area, starting off with the diggers. Driver and his colleague were a couple of arseholes. Anyone on here recognise them?

34 minutes ago, superjack said:

I was watching some vids on YouTube about bad drivers caught on dash cams and found this 1. Straight away, I recognised the area, starting off with the diggers. Driver and his colleague were a couple of arseholes. Anyone on here recognise them?

Depressingly common from van drivers. I’ve had a couple of arses on Queen Street deliberately going at the same speed as me and steering left to try and force me into parked cars as their equivalent of the ginger twat hung out the window shouting abuse and laughing at how funny it was. I recently got a bus that was out it’s lane as it pulled up to the lights at Haymarket as I was in the cycle box brush against me and almost push me over. My fault according to the bus driver when I shouted. Bizarrely on that occasion it was a van driver who backed me up to the bus driver. 

The Ultimate Worrier

Funnily enough, walking up the pavement on the other side of the ride from Diggers last week I almost got knocked over by a middle aged bloke cycling in the opposite direction. Politely told him that bikes should be on the road and got told not so politely were to go.  

Incidents like that one in the video are out of order but one loses a bit of sympathy given how some cyclists behave.

manaliveits105

Does that guy just constantly cycle round Edinburgh looking for confrontations - he seems to be all over and in the busiest traffic filming

8 hours ago, superjack said:

I remember seeing that when it was in the papers a couple of years ago. The company, Dalkeith based, deleted there Twitter account not long after this. They got some choice Google reviews on the back of it.

3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Does that guy just constantly cycle round Edinburgh looking for confrontations - he seems to be all over and in the busiest traffic filming

Sounds a bit like some posters on here.

I P Knightley

Jeez - the state of the road surfaces! I'd be thinking twice about cycling in Edinburgh for fear of shaking myself to bits on the bumps and cracks. I certainly wouldn't use a narrow-tyred road bike.

More and more cyclists are using helmet cameras so that they have evidence of dangerous driving. I don't do it myself but can understand why it's become an added precaution; not just for the motorists' driving but also for the attitude that guys will get out their cars to hurl abuse and, in some cases, physically threaten or attack the cyclist.

If the lad managed to hit the van's mirror, it was a good shot without looking and, of course, it shouldn't have been possible if the van driver was driving safely as he'd have been out of reach.

Harry Potter
8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Jeez - the state of the road surfaces! I'd be thinking twice about cycling in Edinburgh for fear of shaking myself to bits on the bumps and cracks. I certainly wouldn't use a narrow-tyred road bike.

More and more cyclists are using helmet cameras so that they have evidence of dangerous driving. I don't do it myself but can understand why it's become an added precaution; not just for the motorists' driving but also for the attitude that guys will get out their cars to hurl abuse and, in some cases, physically threaten or attack the cyclist.

If the lad managed to hit the van's mirror, it was a good shot without looking and, of course, it shouldn't have been possible if the van driver was driving safely as he'd have been out of reach.

TBH i would not ride a bike round Edinburgh, hard enough getting round in a car.

Edited by Harry Potter

The Ultimate Worrier
22 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

TBH i would not ride a bike round Edinburgh, hard enough getting round in a car.

Me neither, even before the incident that video looked a bit scary.

In saying that though, if cyclists aren't confident on the road then they should just leave the bike at home, not invade the pavement. 

22 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

one thing to be aware of though is, if you get/have a helmet cam make sure it is a proper one and not one you have attached to your helmet as that could provide a single point of weakness in the helmet. what i mean is if you are in a crash and hit the bit where the camera is all that force can be focussed there and then transferred to the skull/brain rather than spreading the force across more of the helmet. it is one thing they believe made the injury to michael schumacher as bad as they are in his skiing accident.

15 minutes ago, The Ultimate Worrier said:

Me neither, even before the incident that video looked a bit scary.

In saying that though, if cyclists aren't confident on the road then they should just leave the bike at home, not invade the pavement. 

Do cyclists even have to pass a test of any kind to show they understand the road and traffic ? .... Do their vehicles have to go through any kind of roadworthy testing ? ... Surely they must have to have insurance before cycling on roads ? ... Just wondering

Edited by hmfc_steve

Governor Tarkin
23 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I used to cycle regularly but gave it up a number of years ago for a few reasons.

a) the physical deterioration in the state of the roads.

b) a few near-death experiences in traffic.

c) my bikes were periodically nicked from inside my Gorgie tenement.

Too much of a dangerous ball-ache.

I P Knightley
32 minutes ago, hmfc_steve said:

Do cyclists even have to pass a test of any kind to show they understand the road and traffic ? .... Do their vehicles have to go through any kind of roadworthy testing ? ... Surely they must have to have insurance before cycling on roads ? ... Just wondering

Insurance is not compulsory and I've not even seen it recommended by any big organisations. And, other than the cycling proficiency test which you might have done when you were eight, there's nothing to prepare anyone for cycling on the roads. Cyclists will (and do) argue that the responsibility lies with the motorised traffic to ensure safety but those are probably responsible cyclists who also have a driver's licence and make safe choices when on the road. However, I see plenty of cyclists on the road who give the rest of us a bad name and I'm not afraid to call them out as much as I do motorists.

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Insurance is not compulsory and I've not even seen it recommended by any big organisations. And, other than the cycling proficiency test which you might have done when you were eight, there's nothing to prepare anyone for cycling on the roads. Cyclists will (and do) argue that the responsibility lies with the motorised traffic to ensure safety but those are probably responsible cyclists who also have a driver's licence and make safe choices when on the road. However, I see plenty of cyclists on the road who give the rest of us a bad name and I'm not afraid to call them out as much as I do motorists.

Yes I know insurance isn't compulsory ... Why not ? ... cyclists can cause damage .. pedals scraping doors, breaking wing mirrors etc ... injury to pedestrians

I do love my cycling, BUT, pretty much all of it is done off-road for my own enjoyment but also safety.

One huge bugbear of mine is when you see a parent cycling on a main road with young kids in tow. Literally only yesterday I passed a woman with 2 young kids who couldn’t have been older than 7/8 and 4/5 in the main Lanark Road trying to navigate traffic. Absolutely crazy.  Likewise those that insist on putting their babies/toddlers in serious danger in one of those child seats then cycling on major roads. 

I P Knightley
42 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

one thing to be aware of though is, if you get/have a helmet cam make sure it is a proper one and not one you have attached to your helmet as that could provide a single point of weakness in the helmet. what i mean is if you are in a crash and hit the bit where the camera is all that force can be focussed there and then transferred to the skull/brain rather than spreading the force across more of the helmet. it is one thing they believe made the injury to michael schumacher as bad as they are in his skiing accident.

I never knew that about Schumacher but it makes perfect sense.

I feel no need to record every journey I make and wouldn't put a camera on my helmet; wouldn't put anything on it now that you've pointed out the risk. However, I've seen the reaction when a road rager sees what he thinks is a camera (it was a light I used to have on my helmet) and it tones down his behaviour.

I wonder if this is the same guy who decides NOT to cycle in the lanes the council have created down Silverknowes Parkway. They decide to cycle still on the road. A potential accident is waiting to happen while buses and cars over take them. 

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, hmfc_steve said:

Yes I know insurance isn't compulsory ... Why not ? ... cyclists can cause damage .. pedals scraping doors, breaking wing mirrors etc ... injury to pedestrians

I agree that it's not logical. However, if a cyclist damages a car, he/she is liable for the repairs or damages, just as a car driver would be. The big difference as I see it is that if a cyclist does a hit and run, you have no surefire way of identifying him (unless it's me, the fat lad wheezing away in the Rosebery top :) - "officer, it was a feckin' giant battenberg cake going at about 12mph, tops"). A motorist, you get the reg plate and the police might be inclined to chase up. Additionally, the extent of any damage done will be far less so it's more likely that it could be paid out of pocket.

5 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

I do love my cycling, BUT, pretty much all of it is done off-road for my own enjoyment but also safety.

One huge bugbear of mine is when you see a parent cycling on a main road with young kids in tow. Literally only yesterday I passed a woman with 2 young kids who couldn’t have been older than 7/8 and 4/5 in the main Lanark Road trying to navigate traffic. Absolutely crazy.  Likewise those that insist on putting their babies/toddlers in serious danger in one of those child seats then cycling on major roads. 

What about the Dad who is on this bike looking like he's taking the wrong turn on the tour de france all kitted out in the team sky outfit and his son or daughter is on  their own bike miles down the road while the traffic needs to slow down. Its mental I witnessed this on Ferry Road last week. You're playing a dangerous game with the amount of traffic on these roads. 

Came out stair  2 weeks ago and got hit by bike the Deliveroo guy stopped and said watch where you are going mate  I said FFS mate  you are cycling on the pavement you Dick and not slow either luckily I was not hurt but just like bad car drivers there are bad cyclists too who dont follow the highway code properly as for the van driver he should have waited till he had plenty room to pass if he thinks the cyclist was too far over 

J B Electrical & Mechanical Services Ltd
42/2 Hardengreen Business Park, Dalhousie Rd, Dalkeith

234 Google Reviews

1.1 Stars :rofl: 

Worst company ever. Couldn't even change a light bulb. But he was great at throwing bottles at cyclist.

Struggled changing batteries on my TV remote. Wouldn't use again.

I hired this company to do some electrical work. They spent 5 minutes in my house and 3 hours outside abusing cyclists. Avoid like the plague!!

Threw in a free bottle of Lucozade with the service! Such a nice gesture.

What a wee shame for them :lol: 

been here before
4 hours ago, hmfc_steve said:

Google is your friend when it comes to answering questions you already know the answer to.

3 hours ago, hmfc_steve said:

In the EU, presumption of blame is used in all cases I believe - motor insurance pays out for collisions/medical treatment with no hit on your no claims. 

The Ultimate Worrier
9 hours ago, hmfc_steve said:

Often wondered that myself. 

5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

In the EU, presumption of blame is used in all cases I believe - motor insurance pays out for collisions/medical treatment with no hit on your no claims. 

In Germany, I believe folk need personal liability insurance for this kind of thing. So if you damage something whilst cycling or even if your kids tan someone's windows playing football, then folk can claim on your insurance. 

Unknown user
5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

In holland it used to be that in any coming together between bicycle and motor vehicle, it was the driver of the vehicle who was liable.

I seem to remember liability insurance was compulsory but couldn't swear to that