Top European Soccer Teams Agree to Join Breakaway League

Paolo

5 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

What does that matter though ? Not to these parasites. Spurs are massive. I’m sure they are in the top 10 rich list in Europe. That’s all that matters sadly

Deloitte has them at number 9 based on total revenue.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/which-are-the-worlds-richest-football-clubs-in-2021/psbb7gblbm6j1m5mc753tv1us

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• Tazio

Geoff Kilpatrick
7 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

What does that matter though ? Not to these parasites. Spurs are massive. I’m sure they are in the top 10 rich list in Europe. That’s all that matters sadly

No coincidence either that the likes of Kronke and Glazer would be happy to include Spuds given the NFL International links.

It'll be hilarious when Bayern Munich and Dortmund decide to give it a swerve, leaving the English, Italian and Spanish clubs on their tod looking ****ing stupid having a 15 team league that no one wants to risk playing in.

They'll eventually find there is no way back for them and they'll have to invite Asian and made up American teams to make up the numbers, while playing in soulless stadiums for monopoly money and for trophies with no prestige.

Good luck to them, they'll soon realise that a brand means nothing without the fans 

Edited by Cruyff

8 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I can see the American owners pushing it as it matches the leagues of American sport where clubs have no relegation. It protects their investment in the clubs.

It is only about money as it is not about competition, fair play or fans.

Naw, More like Middle East money. Just look at cricket's IPL.....Screwed over all the test teams as well as those countries domestic leagues.  
The yanks actually have a decent record when it comes to competition, fair play and especially fans. Just need to look at the NFL for an example.

This stinks of Man City and their rich Arab owners.

But of course I'm only guessing.

Edited by Hashimoto

4 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Naw, More like Middle East money. Just look at cricket's IPL.....Screwed over all the test teams as well as those countries domestic leagues.  
The yanks actually have a decent record when it comes to competition, fair play and especially fans. Just need to look at the NFL for an example.

Nah, it's Perez at Real Madrid and Glazer at Man Utd that have started this. 

millerjames398
38 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Did they just invent a big number to sue them for? 

Like doctor evil, in austin powers, a bazzilion gazillion dollars fine😆

The Ultimate Worrier

They must have done their research but I'm surprised there's a market for this. All sounds rather tedious and boring.

7 minutes ago, The Ultimate Worrier said:

They must have done their research but I'm surprised there's a market for this. All sounds rather tedious and boring.

Well I’m not sure about the other clubs but the Spurs social media feeds and forums make this place post Brora look like a happy house. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well I’m not sure about the other clubs but the Spurs social media feeds and forums make this place post Brora look like a happy house. 

🤣🤣🤣

Pasquale for King

Although the parent company that owns Spurs is based abroad and technically foreign the owners are English, they will be even less likely to win any ****ing trophies 😂

Pasquale for King

They think the leagues will

allow this competition to be played throughout the season alongside the domestic and European games. Where are they going to find 22 match days at first and 38 after 20 teams join 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈😆?!?!

Its two leagues of ten home and away so only 18 dates to be found 😂

Edited by Pasquale for King

Ipswich Town, Everton, Derby, Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa, Leeds United, Blackburn Rovers & Leicester City have all won the league since Tottenham last did in 1961.. Aston Villa & Nottingham Forest have more European cups than Arsenal, Tottenham & Atheltico Madrid Laughable 😂😂

This sort of stuff makes me fecking ectstatic that i follow heart of midlothian fc, a real football club.

I actually hope some of these clubs implode tbh, would serve their greedy owners right, would feel sorry for the real fans though.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I’ve always hated Gary Neville, but I think I’ve just fell in love with him. Spoken like a true football fan. Wants his own club that he loves relegated if they try and go ahead with this and I also liked his little “Tottenham!!!, don’t even care about them”🤣

27 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

This sort of stuff makes me fecking ectstatic that i follow heart of midlothian fc, a real football club.

I actually hope some of these clubs implode tbh, would serve their greedy owners right, would feel sorry for the real fans though.

Yup, a lot of fans just follow these clubs for the glory and aren’t true football fans. Nothing better than following your hometown club through the good and the bad. Hopefully the hardcore element of their support who have followed them all their lives will walk away from them if they follow through with it. I’m not 100% sure they would though. They might have demonstrations against it, but once it was up and running, I can see them going along for the ride. 

Edited by luckyBatistuta

The fans will love it.  2 games with Man U v Real Madrid in the league or Man U v Norwich. Yeah let's play Norwich. Heard it! 

They'll have to be thrown out of their leagues and FAs for this to happen. It has to be their new 'domestic' competition. 

Who are the other 5 teams after Bayern, Dortmund and PSG. 

Lyon

Marsielle

leipzig

Napoli

Ajax? 

Everton? 

Roma? 

Leicester? 

Porto? 

Rangers? 

Celtic? 

Edited by ri Alban

Captain Slog
56 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The fans will love it.  2 games with Man U v Real Madrid in the league or Man U v Norwich. Yeah let's play Norwich. Heard it! 

They'll have to be thrown out of their leagues and FAs for this to happen. It has to be their new 'domestic' competition. 

Who are the other 5 teams after Bayern, Dortmund and PSG. 

Lyon

Marsielle

leipzig

Napoli

Ajax? 

Everton? 

Roma? 

Leicester? 

Porto? 

Rangers? 

Celtic? 

What is the proposed format?

The league will have 20 teams - the 12 founding members plus the three unnamed clubs they expect to join soon and five sides who qualify annually according to their domestic achievements.

Under the proposals, the ESL campaign would start in August each year, with midweek fixtures, and the clubs would be split into two groups of 10, playing each other home and away.

The top three in each group would qualify for the quarter-finals, with the teams in fourth and fifth playing a two-legged play-off for the two remaining spots.

From then on, it would have the same two-leg knockout format used in the Champions League before a single-leg final in May at a neutral venue.

The ESL says it will generate more money than the Champions League and would result in a greater distribution of revenue throughout the game.

Thats from BBC.

So the other five - begs the question will there be other, smaller competitions like Atlantic leagues if Fifa and Uefa have nothing to do with it and ban members from the current Associations.

Also - how much income do the erse cheeks generate?  If they are anywhere close to the top twenty or thirty earners in the world, maybe we can kiss goodbye to them.

1 minute ago, Captain Slog said:

What is the proposed format?

The league will have 20 teams - the 12 founding members plus the three unnamed clubs they expect to join soon and five sides who qualify annually according to their domestic achievements.

Under the proposals, the ESL campaign would start in August each year, with midweek fixtures, and the clubs would be split into two groups of 10, playing each other home and away.

The top three in each group would qualify for the quarter-finals, with the teams in fourth and fifth playing a two-legged play-off for the two remaining spots.

From then on, it would have the same two-leg knockout format used in the Champions League before a single-leg final in May at a neutral venue.

The ESL says it will generate more money than the Champions League and would result in a greater distribution of revenue throughout the game.

Thats from BBC.

So the other five - begs the question will there be other, smaller competitions like Atlantic leagues if Fifa and Uefa have nothing to do with it and ban members from the current Associations.

Also - how much income do the erse cheeks generate?  If they are anywhere close to the top twenty or thirty earners in the world, maybe we can kiss goodbye to them.

It's a weird set up. They should just play each other twice. As for Rangers and Celtic, given half a chance, they'd dwarf every team outside Man U, Liverpool and the 2 Spanish Giants. Like or not they both have huge support. 

If the various football authorities crack down on international representation it will go nowhere imo.

That was what saved the all Blacks when some greedy git tried to set up an alternative professional competition.  The NZRU made it crystal clear that the rebel players would never represent NZ again.

10 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

If the various football authorities crack down on international representation it will go nowhere imo.

That was what saved the all Blacks when some greedy git tried to set up an alternative professional competition.  The NZRU made it crystal clear that the rebel players would never represent NZ again.

I don't think players care these days. Just my opinion. It's all about the money. And that's where I have to laugh at the likes of Neville and Keane, they didn't play for free, but now the  clubs what a Bosman, it's some sort of evil. Hypocrites. 

I personally don't think they should do it,  but I'm not having any of this lecturing from millionaires who kicked a football aboot, because their clubs made it possible. 

Edited by ri Alban

You really couldn't mark UEFA's neck with a blow torch. They're charging £3800+ in hospitality for the Croatia and Czech games against Scotland at hampden this June. 1900 tickets for Scotland fans. Ridiculous! 

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

That would be the same Spurs that are listed as the 10th wealthiest club in the world? It’s all about the money, not the fans. And if they do want fans in grounds a club with a 60k capacity stadium with a 3 year waiting list for season tickets fits the bill. 

But in Spurs case, it's not even about on field success either. Haven't won the league since 1961! Kind of differentiates them a bit from the other 11 shitehouse clubs to be honest. 

Edit. Apologies, I see the point was made several times since your post.

Edited by pablo

25 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You really couldn't mark UEFA's neck with a blow torch. They're charging £3800+ in hospitality for the Croatia and Czech games against Scotland at hampden this June. 1900 tickets for Scotland fans. Ridiculous! 

Supply and demand. 

The lack of competition within this Super league is awful. If this continues we’ll have franchise football next. 

Edited by Des Lynam

allystrachan

I have to say I honestly couldn’t care. I have no affiliation to any of they clubs, the chances of playing any again any time soon is also very rare. I don’t watch English football and very very rarely watch European football these days either.

There is already hardly any money in Scottish football so it’s not like we’re about to get much less. If anything it will hurt the old firm more or create other European leagues they they can disappear off to.

Us moaning about this and stopping it is like Stranraer & the likes controlling the spfl decisions which we also moan about. 

6 hours ago, Hashimoto said:

Funny how it's always the Arab's fault😁😁😁😁

7 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Supply and demand. 

The lack of competition within this Super league is awful. If this continues we’ll have franchise football next. 

Greedy clubs v Greedy football authorities. Doesn't make no never mind. Scotland is never gonnae reach this, other than the big two. 

Clubs getting Greedy isn't new, so this should not surprise anyone. 

The SPL did it, the EPL did it, and Uefa did it with champions league, so this wouldn't happen, but now the clubs are binning the middle men. And the EPL, Uefa etc... etc... are spitting feathers.  

If Rangers and Celtic do leave, let's reconstruct properly with 2 divisions and regional Pyramids, because TV money will be close to non existent, until we make it sellable. 

This is all because Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool are not guaranteed CL football anymore.

And Leicester, Everton and West Ham challenging them makes it even worse!

UEFA proposed an expanded CL to allow larger qualification, but these guys have said its not enough.

They want their European income guaranteed each year.

Goes against all everything that made European competition so appealing - you had to qualify for it each year.

7 hours ago, Zico said:

Been on the cards since they created the Champions League. Football was ****ed since that was created and this is the natural conclusion. 

This and this is what people don't seem to remember. 

Once European football happened this was always going to happen. 

I am split 50/50 for and against it. I can see the positive from it also can see the traditional way of football. 

Something needs to change in world football. 

We need more competition. 

The club world cup needs to be insentived more. 

It's no secret UEFA hold all the power for domestic competitions. 

The European super league will happen then it will naturally migrate into a world series league. 

You will qualify based on ppg coefficient after the season. 

The champions league will become a second rate competition with the winner joining the esl. And it till trickle down to the europa and this new Diddy euro competition. 

Embrace it folks it is going to happen 

Unknown user
47 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

I have to say I honestly couldn’t care. I have no affiliation to any of they clubs, the chances of playing any again any time soon is also very rare. I don’t watch English football and very very rarely watch European football these days either.

There is already hardly any money in Scottish football so it’s not like we’re about to get much less. If anything it will hurt the old firm more or create other European leagues they they can disappear off to.

Us moaning about this and stopping it is like Stranraer & the likes controlling the spfl decisions which we also moan about. 

Protectionism's great until it's you they're protecting against.

I'm the same, it's just an extension of the elitism we've seen developing for decades from the top clubs and authorities.

The champions League is unfairly set up to favour the big clubs from the big leagues and about to get worse, and now clubs that were happy with excluding others complain that they're being excluded. **** 'em.

Are we meant to be gutted for Leicester or Everton when the door's already shut on clubs like ours?

Are we meant to admire uefa's competitive principles when they continue to make qualification easier for the big ones at the expense of the smaller ones?

**** the lot of them, I already have no interest in champions League, this is just another unrelatable competition I don't care about.

Unknown user
7 hours ago, Hashimoto said:

Do they? The NFL sells franchises to compete in it's competitions.

There's no promotion or relegation, a team can't get there through merit, only through finance, and if your crowds aren't big enough the whole club will just pick up and move thousands of miles away to another fanbase if it makes financial sense.

Edited by Smithee

11 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Surprised nobody has blamed Robbie Neilson for this yet. 😄

Mind you, he does like a ‘money spinner’.  

Nookie Bear

I am glad this is happening.

For years this has been talked about, not just by the old firm but by the major European clubs, under the guise of making the game better for all. 

This has exposed their greed and I am pleased the governing bodies have told them they will be banned if they leave. However UEFA are complicit because they pushed for an exclusive and expanded Champions League that was basically the prototype for this. 

I am hopeful this becomes a watershed for football and these clubs **** off and let the rest of us get on with watching our local clubs play football. 

Seymour M Hersh

UEFA take Euro500million for organising the CL out of the Euro3 billion the CL generates annually for "organisation" costs. Maybe the biggest clubs though that too much and more should go to them.  UEFA have helped in creating this current situation imo. As always it's down to people wanting a bigger slice of the cake and more control. Same when the EPL was created and the CL itself. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

I would have no problem with this if this was a true pyramid and a new apex for teams to hit. In other words, the "Champions League" actually became a league with promotion and relegation back to national tiers. Indeed, regionalisation under this might be a future development. However, as it is a closed shop and designed as a money printing exercise and nothing else, it can GTF.

11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I am glad this is happening.

For years this has been talked about, not just by the old firm but by the major European clubs, under the guise of making the game better for all. 

This has exposed their greed and I am pleased the governing bodies have told them they will be banned if they leave. However UEFA are complicit because they pushed for an exclusive and expanded Champions League that was basically the prototype for this. 

I am hopeful this becomes a watershed for football and these clubs **** off and let the rest of us get on with watching our local clubs play football. 

I think you are exactly right.  This is just the next chapter in a progression.  Money talks.

Personally, it's not football to me on that scale.  Wouldn't cross the street to watch it and I would hate Hearts to be a part of it.

20 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Do they? The NFL sells franchises to compete in it's competitions.

There's no promotion or relegation, a team can't get there through merit, only through finance, and if your crowds aren't big enough the whole club will just pick up and move thousands of miles away to another fanbase if it makes financial sense.

Not all team sport is based on relegation and promotion!
Yes, finance is key...but isn't that the case even up here in Scotland. UEFA even set out there own rules regarding spending power. Was it not Chelsea or Man C or one of the big Spanish clubs that fell foul to the UEFA fair play rules and had to suffer sanctions? 
Again, I agree that NFL teams are primarily franchised with one or two exceptions. Steelers and Cowboys to name but two. My point is that the NFL governing body based in New York put fans high on the agenda. Just look at how they market and promote their sport?
On a much smaller scale. Football teams in the UK move location and change their name to reflect new location,  MK Don's, and Livingston to name but a few!
Like everything however, I do agree....Everything that is done is primarily based on finance and financial growth!
This ill conceived breakaway league will be no different. 

Edited by Hashimoto

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Not all team sport is based on relegation and promotion!
Yes, finance is key...but isn't that the case even up here in Scotland. UEFA even set out there own rules regarding spending power. Was it not Chelsea or Man C or one of the big Spanish clubs that fell foul to the UEFA fair play rules and had to suffer sanctions? 
Again, I agree that NFL teams are primarily franchised with one or two exceptions. Steelers and Cowboys to name but two. My point is that the NFL governing body based in New York put fans high on the agenda. Just look at how they market and promote their sport?
On a much smaller scale. Football teams in the UK move location and change their name to reflect new location,  MK Don's, and Livingston to name but a few!
Like everything however, I do agree....Everything that is done is primarily based on finance and financial growth!
This ill conceived breakaway league will be no different. 

I think you should check your NFL history.

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I think you should check your NFL history.

Probably, but it's still early in the morning for me. But I think I meant't to say that some teams will never leave their current location or change their identity. It's almost like a trademark.

The Treasurer

You have to laugh at the likes of UEFA and the EPL greeting about teams creating a closed, money making competition, that is only for the elite rich clubs when it's exactly what they have done.

They bleat on about the "integrity of competition" when they have both effectively created a closed shop which is all about making money for those that already have an unfair advantage over other clubs in their domestic leagues.

The Ultimate Worrier
4 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

:spoton:

Malinga the Swinga

Interesting to read about and watch reactions, but from Hearts supporter point of view, I couldn't care less. 

The crocodile tears for EPL, Uefa and English clubs make me laugh. Fans of West Ham crying cause they are being picked on is hilarious. West Ham got stadium for **** all and stole money from tax payers, yet they want support. Who cares if one bunch of multi millionaires screw over another lot. 

Unless European games revert to straight knock out, then its all pish anyway. 

hmfc_liam06
6 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

You have to laugh at the likes of UEFA and the EPL greeting about teams creating a closed, money making competition, that is only for the elite rich clubs when it's exactly what they have done.

They bleat on about the "integrity of competition" when they have both effectively created a closed shop which is all about making money for those that already have an unfair advantage over other clubs in their domestic leagues.

Struggling to take Gary Neville seriously as well....when you consider Manchester United and Sky are on his CV.

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Struggling to take Gary Neville seriously as well....when you consider Manchester United and Sky are on his CV.

It's all very well saying that but I think Neville expressed exactly what most people thought of this utter bollocks. It's easy to call hypocrisy in football as it is full of it but the only legitimacy that can be given to this closed shop would be from fans and viewers actually forking out for the "product". I hope that the blast that these charlatans have received will cause a little pause for thought.

Footballfirst

I just don't get the seethe about this.  it has been several years in the making so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It was announced on the eve of an expected announcement by UEFA of changes to the Champions League format that was going to provide additional guarantees to the same big clubs and make it more difficult for the lesser nations to get in on the act.

UEFA's proposal was, in essence, them acceding to the wishes of the big clubs yet again, but allowed them to retain nominal control over the competition.  The Super League proposal simply took a larger step forward, but removed control from UEFA.

The impact of an ESL on Scottish football will be negligible.

The formation of the EPL, the SPL, the CL, the award of the 2022 WC to Qatar and the proposed ESL are all about one thing, MONEY!

kirkierobroy
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The impact of an ESL on Scottish football will be negligible.

I think Scottish football already suffers from blokes who watch all their football on TV, following big English teams and the Champions and Other Teams League, who never go to actual football and who never pay to get into actual games. You all know blokes like this - they're often slightly amused and condescending that you should follow a wee diddy Scottish team (Hearts or KRR being equally diddy in their eyes) instead of joining them in watching REALLY BIG TEAMS.

Whether this breakaway, or the compromise that will surely result, will increase this problem or not, I'm not sure.