Top European Soccer Teams Agree to Join Breakaway League

Paolo

I know it has been talked about before by the big teams, but it seems it may have taken a step closer.   Probably won’t impact Scottish football or us, but the leagues concerned should be expelled from their leagues immediately, if anything were to be announced.  The problem is, particularly England, they probably can’t afford to do that, with the TV money being what it is.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/18/sports/soccer/super-league-united-liverpool-juventus-madrid.html

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• Tazio

Lone Striker
3 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

@$$ cheek colt teams it is then....

6 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

@$$ cheek colt teams it is then....

I'll wager my next Covid jab that this Euro breakaway thingy will want absolutely nothing to do with the Bigot Brothers of  Scotland, no matter how much we might want rid of them. 😉 

Rogue Daddy
27 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I'll wager my next Covid jab that this Euro breakaway thingy will want absolutely nothing to do with the Bigot Brothers of  Scotland, no matter how much we might want rid of them. 😉 

Maybe not... but if it happened, would England, then, take them off our hands?🤔🤞🤞🤞

21 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

England, then, take them off our hands?🤔🤞🤞🤞

Oh please please take them away, utter  pests the both of them.

alwaysthereinspirit
4 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Oh please please take them away, utter f&@king pests the both of them.

We could all handle them just being pests.

51 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

There's not even any French or German teams in this new Super League thing, so can't imagine Celtic or Ranger are anywhere near their thoughts.

I seriously hope nobody pays much attention to this crap. It's basically going to be a glorified exhibition tournament. Loads of shite.

13 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Maybe not... but if it happened, would England, then, take them off our hands?🤔🤞🤞🤞

Not a chance! Reckon if they lose the big 6, the bigger Championship clubs would be bumped up and become more established lower end EPL clubs, I can't imagine Sunderland, Hull, West Brom type clubs being okay with those two jumping the queue. The special treatment they are subject to up here wouldn't apply down there and I think any attempt to approach the English FA with the arrogance they swan around with up here would be shot down pretty brutally IMO.

I don't think the OF ego could handle not being the biggest fish in the pond either tbh. They like to pretend they want competition but they like the easy cups. 

Selfish to the 'real supporters' of those clubs, disgustingly selfish way to treat their own league members and the wider football world.

Any team that leaves the parameters of domestic league, domestic European competition and with that, the FIFA governing body, should be forced to start their 'own' association and should be completely ostracised. 

Leave them to their greedy globetrotting gang bang where they play games in N. America and Asia to plastic supporters. 

30 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

If they do, then every cloud, at least for us.  As long as the Bigot Brothers leave completely.   None of this Colts pish. 

Rogue Daddy
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Not a chance! Reckon if they lose the big 6, the bigger Championship clubs would be bumped up and become more established lower end EPL clubs, I can't imagine Sunderland, Hull, West Brom type clubs being okay with those two jumping the queue. The special treatment they are subject to up here wouldn't apply down there and I think any attempt to approach the English FA with the arrogance they swan around with up here would be shot down pretty brutally IMO.

I don't think the OF ego could handle not being the biggest fish in the pond either tbh. They like to pretend they want competition but they like the easy cups. 

I, also, don’t honestly believe they would want them... would be funny watching them struggle in the lower leagues though, NOT getting their own way!

7 minutes ago, Locky said:

There's not even any French or German teams in this new Super League thing, so can't imagine Celtic or Ranger are anywhere near their thoughts.

I seriously hope nobody pays much attention to this crap. It's basically going to be a glorified exhibition tournament. Loads of shite.

I think German sides have not committed, at least not yet. 

I hope they don’t, and would not be surprised if they did not.  They seem to be far more aware of the fans, and their identity, than other European clubs. 

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

😂😂 I think your next jab is in safe hands no chance they will be included

Footballfirst

Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan & Inter are all meant to have signed up to it, with others including Man City, Bayern and PSG  expected to join them.

Edited by Footballfirst

Means they have to walk from the epl to make it happen. Wow. This is ultimately where greed and foreign owners take you.

16 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Think there is a certain delicious irony to the fact that UEFA have ****ed so many smaller clubs over to push big clubs with their Euro competitions to the point these clubs now think they are bigger than them.

Tommy Brown

I look forward to seeing the reaction of fans of struggling teams in this Super Duper League.

Times like this, I hate professional  football.

Think this might end up being a good thing for Scottish football. Anything that has the potential to reduce the bigot brothers champions league income is a good thing IMO.

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

I look forward to seeing the reaction of fans of struggling teams in this Super Duper League.

Times like this, I hate professional  football.

It’s no longer the working persons sport TB 🙁

8 minutes ago, sadj said:

Think there is a certain delicious irony to the fact that UEFA have ****ed so many smaller clubs over to push big clubs with their Euro competitions to the point these clubs now think they are bigger than them.

A good point, actually.  They created the monster. Now the monster has turned on them.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I doubt it will happen. They want to take a look at how dull 12 team Leagues are. 

Leverage, if I were UEFA I'd let them walk

I dearly hope that the ugly sisters are taken up in this.  I just hope that our FA has the balls to tell them that it is a one way ticket so that they cant come back when they get pumped every week by superior teams..   I will even drive the one way bus to get them there.

AC Mallin_51
43 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I think German sides have not committed, at least not yet. 

I hope they don’t, and would not be surprised if they did not.  They seem to be far more aware of the fans, and their identity, than other European clubs. 

The Bayern chairman has harped on about it for years so cannot see them not joining

Tom Hardy’s Dug

If there is a European PL it won’t be long until there is Euro Championship for clubs. The bigots might not even get into that - other than cash.

Ibrahim Tall
6 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

The Bayern chairman has harped on about it for years so cannot see them not joining

Yep. The Germans only haven’t ‘yet’ because of the 51/49 fan ownership requirement making unilateral decisions harder, if it actually happens I can’t see Bayern etc staying out.

Edited by Ibrahim Tall

No Idle Talk

This is pretty much everything that is wrong with modern football. A handful of super clubs who's only interests are money and playing each other. The rest of us can go and rot as far as they are concerned. That's not sport.

dobmisterdobster
15 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I doubt it will happen. They want to take a look at how dull 12 team Leagues are. 

Leverage, if I were UEFA I'd let them walk

They already have. Along with the individual FAs.

This league is not sanctioned by anybody.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

If they take the ugly sisters as well, I’m all for it.  

That would be good. 

The Hogfather
23 minutes ago, Tazio said:

9DB55224-6FC8-400A-9068-8AEDE2A5BCD7.jpeg

Hard to take UEFAs side over this when they've helped create the massive divide between these so-called super clubs and everyone else.

However this is the result of allowing people with zero connection to the local community being allowed to take over football clubs. No interest in the every day supporters, just about how much money they can make. Football clubs belong to their supporters, not JP Morgan.

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

They already have. Along with the individual FAs.

This league is not sanctioned by anybody.

Sanctioned by the big private broadcasting/streaming companies I imagine. 

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, skwif1 said:

I dearly hope that the ugly sisters are taken up in this.  I just hope that our FA has the balls to tell them that it is a one way ticket so that they cant come back when they get pumped every week by superior teams..   I will even drive the one way bus to get them there.

Would love them to go.
No chance the SFA would do that though, they would get down on their knees to beg them to leave colt teams here. 

7 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

If they take the ugly sisters as well, I’m all for it.  

It's only for elite teams. 😁

Auldbenches
8 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

This is pretty much everything that is wrong with modern football. A handful of super clubs who's only interests are money and playing each other. The rest of us can go and rot as far as they are concerned. That's not sport.

Nothing we can do about it so the best thing is to ignore it, unless it rides us of the uglies.  No interest in the champions league now, I get more out of Motherwell v kilmarnock if the result has a bearing on us or upsets hibs etc.  

The rest is just what you've said, it's not sport, just pure coin.

I'd rather watch junior football than get interested in this.  

Auldbenches
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Would love them to go.
No chance the SFA would do that though, they would get down on their knees to beg them to leave colt teams here. 

Reach arounds offered in the first negotiations.  The best thing in my football life would be seeing the old firm gone.  Sadly wouldn't take them out of our culture.  

dobmisterdobster
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Sanctioned by the big private broadcasting/streaming companies I imagine. 

If they go ahead with this. They will be creating a different code of football. Like rugby did all those years ago.

Personally, I would blacklist any clubs, players or broadcasters involved.

The Mighty Thor

UEFA have got some neck on them.

They're changing the Champions League format to hand out invites to 'big clubs' that might have had a pish season whilst actual champions of countries need to play 3 qualifying rounds. 

Whether it's now or later a Euro league is coming and UEFA will be 'oot the windae' 

shaun.lawson
6 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Hard to take UEFAs side over this when they've helped create the massive divide between these so-called super clubs and everyone else.

UEFA have never had a choice.

Every single time the Champions League format's come up for renewal, the biggest European clubs have threatened a breakaway. And it's the biggest clubs who, in practice, have all the power.

So UEFA have tried to keep them inside the tent pissing out, not outside pissing in... but we've moved step by step by inexorable step to this. Qatar hosting the World Cup is also part of this - because it'd allow the biggest clubs, if they take over, to sychnronise the global calendar and play prestige friendlies/some other naff exhibition tournament every June. 

This is just the highest stakes poker game we've seen yet. "Give us what we want now UEFA, or we're off". And they might end up staying one last time - but a Super League's only ever been a question of when, not if.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Reach arounds offered in the first negotiations.  The best thing in my football life would be seeing the old firm gone.  Sadly wouldn't take them out of our culture.  

You would hope that they’re participation would lead to some sort of less awful behaviour but it would probably make it worse if past experiences are anything to go by. 

55 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan & Inter are all meant to have signed up to it, with others including Man City, Bayern and PSG  expected to join them.

A closed shop regarding a European super league no relegation and the richest clubs getting richer.

dobmisterdobster
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

EPL need to tell them that, if they leave, it is 100% out the door and no Colts teams. 

Already happened.

"As previously announced by FIFA and the six Federations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams."

Edited by dobmisterdobster