Paul Hartley

gnasher75

Delighted to see Paul Hartley doing so well with Cove Rangers. Promoted last season from League 2 and now joint top of League 1 with Falkirk, with Thistle a point behind. Should get a play off spot at worst.

He worked miracles at Alloa getting them promoted twice, then took Dundee up from the Championship and to 6th place in the Premiership before things began to go wrong.

He's certainly proving himself a good manager in the lower leagues. A really hard working coach who deserves another chance with a bigger club in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, His name is said:

Falkirk fans would disagree

They will hate him even more if Cove finish above them. 

8 minutes ago, His name is said:

Falkirk fans would disagree

think the issue was the recruitment side which didn’t work and the scrapping of the youth policy

tartofmidlothian

Always good to see him winning things, he's found a level he gets success as a manager. Be a real shame if anyone but Partick or Falkirk get promoted from League One this time, though.

The worst beard.  (Is there a good one?)

The best, and most memorable hat-trick, since Geoff Hurst.

A_A wehatethehibs

I personally would definitely take him at Hearts, though I am in a minority. Just feel he would get a buzz about the place similar to when Robbo took the wheel in 2004-05. Sir Paul Hartley back in the building taking the helm? Just a scene I would love to see one day. But maybe in another few seasons, if he can get some more success, maybe get himself back to the premier. 

Randy Marsh

My 3rd favourite Hearts player behind Cameron and Skacel.  Decent manager.  Can't have been that bad at Falkirk if you look where they are now.  Would take him over Neilson. 

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I personally would definitely take him at Hearts, though I am in a minority. Just feel he would get a buzz about the place similar to when Robbo took the wheel in 2004-05. Sir Paul Hartley back in the building taking the helm? Just a scene I would love to see one day. But maybe in another few seasons, if he can get some more success, maybe get himself back to the premier. 

Definitely. 

Not every manager can have a great time at every team. Hartley has done a few good jobs and a few bad ones but I'm sure he has learnt from his mistakes, gained more experience and improved. He's still young for a coach but has huge experience, I'm sure he'll get his chance at a bigger club again. 

Tommy Brown
2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

He’s actually my favourite ever Hearts player.  I’d love to meet him, one day I’m sure 🙏🏼

So would I.

I gave him a huge just before entering Hampden for the 5-1 should have been  10 demolition final. He seemed OK about it :lol:.

I would apologise to him but explain my emotions  were all over the place as I had lost my dad the day before. 

It was one of moments, he seemed to appear from knowledge and I instinctively hugged him. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Love Paul don’t care for Falkirk or Patrick would like to see Paul get Cove into the Championship. 

This for me, would be good to get Cove up to the Championship and see how they get on.

Any manager who wants to succeed would benefit from taking his charges with him and having togetherness within the club.  I certainly wouldn't trust a manager who rebelled when he was a player (Riccarton 3). How could he reasonably expect everyone to rally behind him?

Good player but manager - No.

A bit likeJeremy Corbyn's hopes of uniting the Labour party that he had rebelled against hundreds of times.  You're either a team player or a principled (doesn't mean you're right) individual.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
19 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Any manager who wants to succeed would benefit from taking his charges with him and having togetherness within the club.  I certainly wouldn't trust a manager who rebelled when he was a player (Riccarton 3). How could he reasonably expect everyone to rally behind him?

A bit likeJeremy Corbyn's hopes of uniting the Labour party that he had rebelled against hundreds of times.  You're either a team player or a principled (doesn't mean you're right) individual.

What??

Yes men only allowed?

And the Riccarton 3 was quite a unique set of circumstances.

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

And his was an actual hat trick! 

Cove are quite a well run and well funded club from what I've heard, I would not be surprised if PH got them into the championship for next season, definitely doing a decent job there, he seems to work better at smaller clubs that are well run tbh i think he should stay there for next few seasons, unless a huge gig became available.

I'm not advocating for him to be considered at hearts but it certainly would be interesting to do a fans poll between having Hartley or Neilson as our manager.

13 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

Wouldn't want him anywhere near Hearts. Imagine the day Hartley had to be hounded out due to poor results. Nah **** that.

You mean 1 poor result from some on here ;) 

Saint Jambo

A manager who has had success at 3 of the 4 clubs he has managed. Yet a lot of the posts focus on the club he failed at.

There is barely a manager in the world who has managed more than one club and can claim to have succeeded at every club they've managed. Guardiola might be the only one and I think it is fair to say he has been somewhat blessed in the clubs he has managed.

It demonstrates the challenge facing the Board when they come to replace Neilson.

AlphonseCapone

Seems to be doing it the right way, plying his trade in the lower leagues, having some success and of course failures but I'm sure learning from it all. 

I wouldn't rule him out moving to a bigger club in the future. He's still young for a coach. Who knows where he'll be in 10 years for example. 

Would love to see him back with us if the circumstances were right. 

6 hours ago, Barack said:

Falkirk fans' think he's a wet wipe.

Then again, you have to have lived amongst Falkirk fans to appreciate the abject stupidity of most of them.

That aside; I still won't envisage SPH as coach higher than the Championship in his life, on average.

Yeah I went to school with a few Falkirk fans years ago they were strange. They thought Falkirk were a massive club with huge fan base and potential to compete against Hearts and Hibs for 3rd. In my life time I think Falkirk have been in the premier league no more than 5 season in my 30 years . Do they merit the phrase tin pot ? .

Closed down their youth system there stadium looks alright but in the middle of no where with 3 stands looking into Grangemouth 😂

8 hours ago, JamboAl said:

On the vino Al? 

4 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

On the vino Al? 

I thought for a second you were going to post on the topic but sarcasm obviously comes more naturally to you.

Not on the vino - just expressing a view.

9 hours ago, JamboAl said:

That’s dictatorial nonsense. Who wants to live in a world that people aren’t allowed to speak out? 

So you’d never have Gordon as manager? Can you even trust to have him at the club? 

Surely people unite behind what’s honest and the right thing to do? 

ps...that’s not why Corbyn failed. 

Auldbenches
4 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

That’s dictatorial nonsense. Who wants to live in a world that people aren’t allowed to speak out? 

So you’d never have Gordon as manager? Can you even trust to have him at the club? 

Surely people unite behind what’s honest and the right thing to do? 

ps...that’s not why Corbyn failed. 

He is saying elvis is a shite manager due to being untrustworthy rather than lack of ability.  I suppose he wasn't sacked at the clubs he managed due to them doing well.  

Falkirk getting relegated was down to him being a snake.  

34 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

A view so moronic that readers would easily mistake it for the clueless ramblings of a drunken fool.

I thought for a second you were going to post on topic

Edited by JamboAl

Holyrood_Hearts
10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The Riccarton 3 were in the right though

10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Ooft which blue chip company indoctrinated you into this kind of thinking?

I remember speaking to Mulraney at Alloa who were paying Zico part time but he was in at 8 o'clock every morning working all day or taking training or watching games at night. He brought in Tam Ritchie and a professionalism that had them punching above their weight and deserved the chance at Dundee who do seem a basket case to manage. Not sure about him coming to Hearts as the fan expectations are so high and we are not always the most patient. Best leave his legacy like Rudi's untainted 👍

Fort Vallance
13 hours ago, Morgan said:

Ledley's was worse.

Edited by Fort Vallance
Spelling

5 hours ago, Section N Rules said:

Wouldn't want him anywhere near Hearts. Imagine the day Hartley had to be hounded out due to poor results. Nah **** that.

This is often said and I understand the sentiment. But it seems odd not to give a former player a chance on the basis that it might not work out. Alternatively, imagine winning a Cup with Hartley as manager and Rudi as part of the coaching team!

There are plenty of former players who I don't think should get the job. Pressley being the obvious example. But Hartley has shown he has the ability to manage successfully, starting at the bottom and getting teams punching above their weight. He will also have learned from the experience of his final season at Dundee and his time at Falkirk.

Not necessarily advocating him for Hearts right now, although if it was a straight choice I would pick Hartley over Neilson every day of the week.

Just pleased to see the guy doing well and hoping he will get another chance in the top league.

Bunny Munro

Love Hartley but would like him to be successful in the top flight again before he's considered for us. 

Gets Cove up and does well the bottom 6 clubs will start looking at him.

Interesting how he’s perceived as a young coach. He’s 44 now, the same age as Jock Stein was when he won the European Cup with Celtic. 

14 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Elvis, Big Craig and Harts did the right thing because Romanov and his cronies were destroying our club and there were other Scots & European players willing to make a stand like Neilson but only 3 were chosen. They did what they had to do and I thank them for it.

Just now, Tazio said:

Interesting how he’s perceived as a young coach. He’s 44 now, the same age as Jock Stein was when he won the European Cup with Celtic. 

Great point

portobellojambo1

He seems to be doing well with Cove Rangers at the moment, but that in itself wouldn't convince me that he would be the right man for the manager's job a Tynecastle at this point. I find it difficult at times when ex players are quoted as potential managers/coaches simply because they know the club. The appointment of a new coach needs to be based on evidence of achieving already at the relevant level, if the hope is that the person(s) appointed can take us to the next level. He may arrive at Tynecasle at some point in the future, based on his CV, but right now I'd say there are probably better qualified people out there to take us forward.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Is Hartley not married to the Cove chairman's daughter? Something like that anyway but he will be pretty comfortable there I'd imagine.

Doing well with Cove and would be a huge achievement if they go up again this year but Hartley as Hearts manager?  Nah, not for me.

Cove have pretty large budget for League 1. Also mop up every semi decent player in North east who can't make it full time so I would say he's performing as he would be expected to.

Wish Paul all the best but after 3 or 4 gigs now I don't think he will be a Hearts manager.

HartleyLegend3
23 hours ago, Armageddon said:

He’s actually my favourite ever Hearts player.  I’d love to meet him, one day I’m sure 🙏🏼

He's OK I suppose... 

siegementality
22 hours ago, ritchcook said:

You mean 1 poor result from some on here ;) 

You mean the most embarrassing result in the clubs history?

siegementality
17 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

Love Hartley but would like him to be successful in the top flight again before he's considered for us. 

If Neilson stays we’ll be one of those bottom 6 clubs.

On 17/04/2021 at 22:06, Morgan said:

The worst beard.  (Is there a good one?)*

The best, and most memorable hat-trick, since Geoff Hurst.**

* Cannae grow a bird, type post. 

** :wtf: 

On 18/04/2021 at 12:37, Bunny Munro said:

I'd see him more at Hamilton than any other Premier club. 

10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

* Cannae grow a bird, type post. 

** :wtf: 

* Wouldnae want to grow a beard, type post.  Actually.  :biggrin2:

** If someone asked you to name, probably the most famous hat-trick in history, what one would you pick, ri?