Fan ownership to be rewarded by the Scottish Government.........

Section Q

Not sure how as this is a bit vague.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-set-fan-ownership-boost-20396929

""Nicola Sturgeon has promised to set up a fund to aid supporters who have gone down the route of fan ownership if the SNP are re-elected.

Fan ownership has been a popular model for Scottish clubs in recent seasons with the likes of Motherwell putting the future of the club in their own hands.""

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Roxy Hearts

• Unknown user

• Governor Tarkin

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Sounds like a typical election promise that is meaningless bollocks.

A bit like Budge????

Why divert more money away from tackling drug/knife crime, cutting waiting lists, education gap for poorer pupils, getting SQA to grow a pair and do their job of examining pupils, getting the busy economy going again, caring about people in care homes. 
Instead Chuck money down the drain on Brechin Supporters Trust only for it to bomb within a Year. 
she might as well be at school gates offering sweets to 17 years olds to get them to vote SNP - and this has nothing to do with the Independence debate.  This is a comment about priorities and futility of free money for lost causes. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

She’s a complete *****. She’s run out of bribes to give so now moved onto something that might fool football fans but is actually meaningless.

I presume FOH will be getting a backdated bung from her government as part of this? Sorry the Executive.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Nookie Bear

"And the SNP are aiming to create a 'Fan Bank' which will help fan bases financially who are looking for more control at their respective clubs through fan ownership to combat 'negligent' owners making decisions they don't agree with."

I am no business expert, as you know, but is this not government interference in a private company? 

10 hours ago, Section Q said:

Not sure how as this is a bit vague.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-set-fan-ownership-boost-20396929

""Nicola Sturgeon has promised to set up a fund to aid supporters who have gone down the route of fan ownership if the SNP are re-elected.

Fan ownership has been a popular model for Scottish clubs in recent seasons with the likes of Motherwell putting the future of the club in their own hands.""

Buying votes - offer them free this, and free that - then Nippy will say “See they want Indyref2!”

lost in space

EVERYTHING IS FREEEEE!!!!! promises Nicola.

She is promising everything ahead of the election - and of course it will all be forgotten. She has a history of this.

You would have to be pretty stupid to believe her.

Footballfirst
40 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

"And the SNP are aiming to create a 'Fan Bank' which will help fan bases financially who are looking for more control at their respective clubs through fan ownership to combat 'negligent' owners making decisions they don't agree with."

I am no business expert, as you know, but is this not government interference in a private company? 

If you mean offering fans groups access to funds (loans I would assume) that they may not otherwise be available to them, then I would not consider it any different to the thousands of companies who seek funds from various government schemes for a multitude of reasons.

Such a scheme could be of benefit to FOH in the future should they require access to funds in excess of what they can raise from its members or other sources.

Edited by Footballfirst

Jambo in Bathgate
13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

If you mean offering fans groups access to funds (loans I would assume) that they may not otherwise be available to them, then I would not consider it any different to the thousands of companies who seek funds from various government schemes for a multitude of reasons.

Such a scheme could be of benefit to FOH in the future should they require access to funds in excess of what they can raise from its members or other sources.

That is a route that we would have to be careful about. It would have to be a non repayable grant as I believe a loan to FOH would put the membership at risk of liability if there was a default on loan repayments. 

10 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Sounds like a typical election promise that is meaningless bollocks.

Totally agree - every club will be getting a free Unicorn next!

Edited by DMR123

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

That is a route that we would have to be careful about. It would have to be a non repayable grant as I believe a loan to FOH would put the membership at risk of liability if there was a default on loan repayments. 

I presume the loan would be to the club, with the usual securities taken, with limited liability to shareholders ( including FoH ). 

kingantti1874

Another vote buying ploy by the SNP. They really are doing a good job of buying up every and any demographic they can think of with false promises and cheques they can’t cash. 

sadly, post independence the economic reality is austerity +++ & monster tax hikes.

Hearts will have 3 less supporters in attendance  as I and my already ludicrous tax bill will be off.  I’m not paying for any more stupidity. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I presume the loan would be to the club, with the usual securities taken, with limited liability to shareholders ( including FoH ). 

This thread was a car crash before it started. No possibility of discussing the merits or otherwise of the potential loans without the lowest common denominator politics sending it up in flames of outrage.....IMHO obviously

Ron Burgundy
1 hour ago, lost in space said:

EVERYTHING IS FREEEEE!!!!! promises Nicola.

She is promising everything ahead of the election - and of course it will all be forgotten. She has a history of this.

You would have to be pretty stupid to believe her.

I still pay council tax, they said many tears ago they would abolish it. Yet people still buy their bullshit. Suppose I can look forward to my state pension doubling when we are independent.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Got to love the magic money tree.

In fairness we must have a magic money forest the way the tories are dishing out cash to their chums. 

1 hour ago, Sid said:

Why divert more money away from tackling drug/knife crime, cutting waiting lists, education gap for poorer pupils, getting SQA to grow a pair and do their job of examining pupils, getting the busy economy going again, caring about people in care homes. 
Instead Chuck money down the drain on Brechin Supporters Trust only for it to bomb within a Year. 
she might as well be at school gates offering sweets to 17 years olds to get them to vote SNP - and this has nothing to do with the Independence debate.  This is a comment about priorities and futility of free money for lost causes. 

With all the promises including NHS funding a lot of other services will need to be cut. 

Roxy Hearts
30 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

Loving the seethe from the SNP haters! 
:D

Me too. Need to get a life. Scots vote for the SNP so get on with it! We don't vote for Tories in London but we have to get on with it. 

I like the idea. 

Fans are the lifeblood of Scottish football, getting representation on the boards of the various clubs might help push clubs to vote more with fans in mind than the short termism which has run rampant over the last 20 years. 

We'll see if its ever brought to fruition though, fans are treated with utter contempt by the government and much like the council tax pledge this does reek of a cynical ploy to buy votes. 

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Mister Dee said:

Perhaps if they confronted sectarianism within football head on they may get some respect. 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Me too. Need to get a life. Scots vote for the SNP so get on with it! We don't vote for Tories in London but we have to get on with it. 

At least they can get a vaccine sorted and have a pint. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

I like the idea. 

Fans are the lifeblood of Scottish football, getting representation on the boards of the various clubs might help push clubs to vote more with fans in mind than the short termism which has run rampant over the last 20 years. 

We'll see if its ever brought to fruition though, fans are treated with utter contempt by the government and much like the council tax pledge this does reek of a cynical ploy to buy votes. 

I'm in 

4 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Buying votes - offer them free this, and free that - then Nippy will say “See they want Indyref2!”

They're politicians mate.......

3 hours ago, Mister Dee said:

Do you support the idea of money being diverted in this direction over other uses? It’s not a SNP hating question?  Simple question.
When you can’t directly disagre, deflect. 

1 minute ago, Sid said:

Do you support the idea of money being diverted in this direction over other uses? It’s not a SNP hating question?  Simple question.

Its probably covered by Scottish Oil so we needn't worry. 🤔

37 minutes ago, Sid said:

I didn’t say I did agree with this. 

I think it’s really funny the way certain posters will use any option to try and get a dig at the Scottish Government, without really knowing what they’re talking about -other than “SNP OOT”.

This is a football forum. 

Roxy Hearts
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

At least they can get a vaccine sorted and have a pint. 

I'm sure they'll be delighted of your support. 

6 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

I didn’t say I did agree with this. 

I think it’s really funny the way certain posters will use any option to try and get a dig at the Scottish Government, without really knowing what they’re talking about -other than “SNP OOT”.

This is a football forum. 

I think people have been fairly specific on two counts : - 

1.  Questioning the merits of the Scheme in general. 

2.  Commenting on the timing of the announcement. Has need for Government supporting fan ownership changed in any way over the last 16 years?  The Economy certainly has recently and not in a good way. People are, rightly, asking about the timing of diverting funds at this point in time. 

This is a football forum and there has been an announcement of, potentially, a positive move from the Government for a cause close to our Hearts (pun intended). It’s reasonable to debate this football initiative even if it crosses Political debate.  

No personal view on timing or merit of Scheme? 

Can’t answer, deflect. 

OmiyaHearts

Very enjoyable reading. Anti snp posters get their backs up ridiculously easy, considering the state of the parties they support.

Indy is happening. Might as well get on board and enjoy the ride!

The timing of any and all announcements are of course related to the May elections -

all parties are releasing manifestos, it’s hardly some dastardly trick. 

I know little about the scheme -other than what was reported on that website, & there’s not enough detail to form a sensible opinion. 

By all means keep ending your posts with ‘deflect’, but this kind of subject will bring out the political allegiances quicker than a certain Goverment ministers PPE contracts. 

Noone wants this Football forum to descend into political bashing. 

6 hours ago, Mister Dee said:

Me too, peak rule brittania from the forelock tuggers. Probably more of a shed topic though.

6 hours ago, Mister Dee said:

I'm not sure folk in disagreement with this can all be branded as SNP haters. I prefer the description of realistic people who are quite right to question how the SNP propose to pay for all their massive financial election promises?? I personally think some folk are so focused in their hatred for all things Westminster that they have blinkers on when it comes to how our own Scottish Government have handled the various policies they have presided over (and failed at) these past 14 years. Sorry for digressing off topic. I dont think politics and football should mix. Football (and sport) is one of the few things in life that can unite folk from all walks of life. Personally I'd rather the politicians kept their neb oot and offered any money available for this to hiring extra doctors and nurses instead so that they are better equipped for the next pandemic thst threatens to overrun the crippled NHS.

6 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

In fairness we must have a magic money forest the way the tories are dishing out cash to their chums. 

It's all added to our debt. No trees necessary......👍

Edited by Section Q

5 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

I'm not sure folk in disagreement with this can all be branded as SNP haters. I prefer the description of realistic people who are quite right to question how the SNP propose to pay for all their massive financial election promises?? I personally think some folk are so focused in their hatred for all things Westminster that they have blinkers on when it comes to how our own Scottish Government have handled the various policies they have presided over (and failed at) these past 14 years. Sorry for digressing off topic. I dont think politics and football should mix. Football (and sport) is one of the few things in life that can unite folk from all walks of life. Personally I'd rather the politicians kept their neb oot and offered any money available for this to hiring extra doctors and nurses instead so that they are better equipped for the next pandemic thst threatens to overrun the crippled NHS.

Doesnt seem to unite us on here.......😄

7 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

But they are unfortunately. It is quite worrying, but that is the way things are in Scotland at the moment and are likely to be for quite a long time to come. Anyway, back on topic, no matter who had come up with this idea, I would be saying that it is half baked and poorly thought out.

Just now, henryheart said:

But they are unfortunately. It is quite worrying, but that is the way things are in Scotland at the moment and are likely to be for quite a long time to come. Anyway, back on topic, no matter who had come up with this idea, I would be saying that it is half baked and poorly thought out.

I'm not an SNP hater but I don't agree with a lot of their policies.  Agree with you 100% with regards to the policy being half-baked and poorly thought out.  At a time when public money will be tighter and more scrutinised than ever I really can't think of any sensible reason to create and a fund a policy like this

This seems in line with other SNP policies trying to encourage community involvement.

Better than stockpiling nuclear missiles or handing out billions of public money to their pals.

9 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

I'm not an SNP hater but I don't agree with a lot of their policies.  Agree with you 100% with regards to the policy being half-baked and poorly thought out.  At a time when public money will be tighter and more scrutinised than ever I really can't think of any sensible reason to create and a fund a policy like this

Well the SPFL have been shouting that clubs won't survive covid. Seems like this policy is intended help fans rescue their clubs if that is the case, a bit like we did a few years back.

The Wrinkly Ninja
7 minutes ago, Sid said:

I think people have been fairly specific on two counts : - 

1.  Questioning the merits of the Scheme in general. 

2.  Commenting on the timing of the announcement. Has need for Government supporting fan ownership changed in any way over the last 16 years?  The Economy certainly has recently and not in a good way. People are, rightly, asking about the timing of diverting funds at this point in time. 

This is a football forum and there has been an announcement of, potentially, a positive move from the Government for a cause close to our Hearts (pun intended). It’s reasonable to debate this football initiative even if it crosses Political debate.  

No personal view on timing or merit of Scheme? 

Can’t answer, deflect. 

I don’t have a problem with the funding or the timing.

I am not sure why there would be any objection to the timing. It’s an announcement in an election manifesto. The election is in May.

Has there really been a need for the last 16 years? No there hasn’t. No clubs have gone to the wall because supporters have not been able to raise funds.

Is it more likely to be needed now? Maybe? And it will only be accessed by those who need it. The current economic situation could result in less private funding into football clubs and a lessened ability for supporters organisations to raise emergency capital to save their clubs.

If it is used correctly and only correctly I don’t see the problem.

5 minutes ago, Scallywag said:

Well the SPFL have been shouting that clubs won't survive covid. Seems like this policy is intended help fans rescue their clubs if that is the case, a bit like we did a few years back.

Don't remember us getting much support from the government to stop us going into admin. Not nice for any club to go to the wall (if it happens) but I'd much rather my tax money went on essential services like trying to improve the NHS so folk can see their dentist again or not have to wait over a year for other health services/treatment. Saving a football team wouldn't be high on my list of priorities