Trophy presentation - lifted ( merged )

August Landmesser

Leave it on the stand?  

653 members have voted

1. 1. After accepting their medals, should the team leave the trophy on the stand?

• Yes
    • No
    • St Johnstone

August Landmesser

As it says , I've seen a couple of polls on twitter, but not on here yet, so I was getting curious. 

I'm happy with the players collecting their medals, but what about the trophy?

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Bazzas right boot

• NANOJAMBO

• sadj

17 minutes ago, 151 said:

Just seen the on FB from the EEN. 

It's petty but I like it.

:smile: Spot on.

18 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

I don't get the St Johnstone option.

It's a traditional "none of the above/I don't know" option on here for folk who don't like any of the choices, don't agree with the poll existing in the first place, can't make their minds up, etc.

41 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Considering how good the club are at gauging our support, we'll likely do the opposite 

We’ll probably thank Doncaster for the chance to win silverware. 

We were treated abysmally last summer but it is what it is. However I have not clamed down one jot about it in the intervening time and wll forever hold a grudge against everyone who did it to us. I hold the same hatred for St Mirren as I did in 1986 so no surprise there. Whilst I feel nothing for winning this league, making a drama over the trophy and medals woud be unbelievably petty. Just pick the bloody thing up off its stand and put it in a cupboard somewere or under someone's desk. If individual players who were not responsible for us being in this position want to pick up and feel happy about a championship medal I have no problem with that but I would expect those that got us there to show appropriate ambivalence.

Someone should maybe shit in it too.  Separate vote for that I guess, but for some reason I like the idea of letting one of the kids have a go, so I'm going to say Hendo or maybe even McGill if he's up to it.

In all seriousness, I'd like the club to make some sort of statement here and/or start of next season when they send someone to unfurl the flag.

The greatest shame in the current squabbling and ill-feeling between club and support is that this was a HUUUUUGE, maybe once-in-a-lifetime, opportunity to forge a proper us against them, siege mentality against the whole of Scottish football.  In a way, I think our somewhat insipid play on the park has been so far removed from the anger we all feel that that has added fuel to the flames of wanting change at the club.

The good thing is we're all still angry at what happened to us, so the club still have the chance to harness that and aim it properly.  Whether that's the current setup somewhat spectacularly turning feelings round, or by bringing in someone who'll lead us with fight and grit, the chance is still there.

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

Just accept the medals and trophy and be done with it.  To do anything else would be a bit too Garry O'Connor for me.

But his was a looser’s medal.

:jjyay:

5 minutes ago, heartened said:

We were treated abysmally last summer but it is what it is. However I have not clamed down one jot about it in the intervening time and wll forever hold a grudge against everyone who did it to us. I hold the same hatred for St Mirren as I did in 1986 so no surprise there. Whilst I feel nothing for winning this league, making a drama over the trophy and medals woud be unbelievably petty. Just pick the bloody thing up off its stand and put it in a cupboard somewere or under someone's desk. If individual players who were not responsible for us being in this position want to pick up and feel happy about a championship medal I have no problem with that but I would expect those that got us there to show appropriate ambivalence.

It's actually a bit of a tough call for the players and club now I think of it.

If they look like they're enjoying it too much, plenty fans will use that as a stick to beat them with:

a) because we want the players to treat it with total disdain as we were expelled not relegated

b) we're not overly happy with the players or coaching staff just now - creep over the line, serve us up that insipid football and go nuts when you win against pish!!?*

*these aren't my views, just what will be levied at them, perhaps with a little truth in there.

But they make a statement and basically ignore the trophy or whatever

a) footballers don't win many medals in their careers, we're asking guys to almost tarnish perhaps the only thing they'll win

b) it could backfire and we're made to look daft basically.  A bit Celticky maybe??*

c) is there something to be said about the being in the tent pishin oot.  So should the club kind of walk the line of let the fans vent at the SFA etc, certainly not discourage it, but actually not "officially" do anything themselves, so we're included when it matters.  Kind of like the OF do on bigotry.

*again not my view, but fact is we'd be ripped apart by the press (Celtic wouldn't be of course)

For me, I think we need togetherness just now and the club could do a lot worse than drag up the anger we all have about last season, no matter what is to come next season, it'll remind us all we're actually one club.

Yeah, shit on the trophy and Hermes it to Doncaster.

Dennis Reynolds

I'd rather we did it with as little fanfare as possible. Leaving it on the stand would just bring more media and attention. Pick it up and walk down the tunnel. The sooner this is all wrapped up the better. 

Auldbenches
9 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Just accept the medals and trophy and be done with it.  To do anything else would be a bit too Garry O'Connor for me.

This!  Just collect them normally to avoid the club getting accused of being disrespectful.   Leave this type of things to the fans.  The best revenge is success.  Just use this to spur us on for next season. 

Not worth the hassle the club would get.  

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

As it says , I've seen a couple of polls on twitter, but not on here yet, so I was getting curious. 

I'm happy with the players collecting their medals, but what about the trophy?

If it's all the same to the players, I'd give it to Inverness after the game.....

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, LMc said:

I'd rather we did it with as little fanfare as possible. Leaving it on the stand would just bring more media and attention. Pick it up and walk down the tunnel. The sooner this is all wrapped up the better. 

Yep. But I wouldn’t fly the flag at tynecastle next season. It lends credibility to the decision to expel us. 

at the end of the day there’s a million ways we can do it, as long as we are suitably dismissive I’m not overly fussed on the mechanism.

just pick it up, walk to the side of the pitch and hand it off. 

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Yep. But I wouldn’t fly the flag at tynecastle next season. It lends credibility to the decision to expel us. 

at the end of the day there’s a million ways we can do it, as long as we are suitably dismissive I’m not overly fussed on the mechanism.

just pick it up, walk to the side of the pitch and hand it off. 

Isn't there always a flag unfurling ceremony for the promoted team's first home game?  I'd be bypassing that one.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Isn't there always a flag unfurling ceremony for the promoted team's first home game?  I'd be bypassing that one.

That will be the one where despite believing booing should be left to kids at the pantomime, will be giving it laldy, if allowed in.

Edited by DETTY29

I think its only fair the players get to pick up the trophy. We may not have played well all season but they done a job and for a few it could be the only trophy in their careers. While I get the sentiment and as a club I'd say FU to the spfl I think the players should be allowed to enjoy the moment....now I've given my opinion I'm away to hide in a bunker before I get dogs abuse😂

2 minutes ago, gov said:

I think its only fair the players get to pick up the trophy. We may not have played well all season but they done a job and for a few it could be the only trophy in their careers. While I get the sentiment and as a club I'd say FU to the spfl I think the players should be allowed to enjoy the moment....now I've given my opinion I'm away to hide in a bunker before I get dogs abuse😂

From a fans perspective, **** the cup. Treat it with the disdain it deserves. 

Flip side is that for many of the players it will be the only cup they lift in their careers.  Roy Keane did similar when he was at Sunderland, and I don't think the players respected him for it. 

kingantti1874
12 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

That will be the one where despite believing booing should be left to kids at the pantomime, will be giving it laldy, if allowed in.

We shouldn’t even do it. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
1 minute ago, gov said:

Agree with you mate. Whatever your opinion of the standard of the performances this season, the players have earned the right to lift the trophy. Just hope that the decision makers at Hearts can do it in a way that appeases the anti-Budge, never-Neilson section of the support (not a dig at those fans, who are entitled to their opinion imo). 

Dagger Is Back

The squad won the league which is what they were tasked to do. Most of them will probably never win a league again. Let them be presented with their medals and trophy.

Let the SPFL delegate come to Tynecastle to do it but let the home crowd give them an appropriate greeting and message to take home to the rest of the SPFL Board.

Protests are for the fans to carry out. The club need to do what is required and expected.

I think we’ve simply righted a wrong this season.   I absolutely don’t want to see celebrations,   I don’t want to see us validating that we’ve ‘won’ a championship that we disputed we should even be part off.    Players can collect their medals, that’s only fair on them,  but the club can’t go to court last year and then hold the Championship trophy aloft this year.......that’s just accepting it.   I don’t want to see our club outwardly accept this either ie through comms, website, social media etc.   Might be petty but I think it does mean something.   Only comms should be that we are back where we belong. 

jambo-in-furness

Tell them to post it to us, thus avoiding breaking COVID protocols.

Even if it is late July/August.

I'm for going along with the whole charade to lull Doncaster in to a false sense of security, hoping we have forgotten all about it, giving us the chance to make our feelings clear to him when he comes to unfurl the flag

The Treasurer

Any "gesture" by the club/players would probably result in a disrepute charge from the SPFL and a hefty fine.

If we are allowed in by then to witness it, anyone who feels strongly enough can stay in the concourse until any ceremony has taken place.

It's not up to us to tell players who have earned winners medals what they should or shouldn't do.

kingantti1874
Just now, DETTY29 said:

Not sure we will have a choice.

the club? We don’t need to have a flag day if we don’t want one surely?

but why do I have this feeling that the club will mis-read the room again. ?

I'd rather Christophe Berra put it on the ground ran up to it, and done one of his long diagonal punts. 

Or Robbie pick it up and do one of his long throws with it 😂😂

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Someone should maybe shit in it too.  Separate vote for that I guess, but for some reason I like the idea of letting one of the kids have a go, so I'm going to say Hendo or maybe even McGill if he's up to it.

So long as the offending dump is droppedthe morning after an all you can eat Indian followed by a drunken kebab on the way home 😂

Personally I think we should invite Doncaster, get him to park right next to the main stand.

pick up the trophy without looking him in the eye, get the players to go to the top of the stand and launch their medals at his car 😂

I don’t really mind what they do. The whole Only Hearts thing is all a bit hollow for me now as well. Leave it, lift it, give it a kick. Up to them, they won it after all. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Time to move on, collect it and move on no frills no controversy no seethe.

Let's just move on and get out of this vicious cycle of negativity we seem to be desperate to poison ourselves with 

David Black
7 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Personally I think we should invite Doncaster, get him to park right next to the main stand.

pick up the trophy without looking him in the eye, get the players to go to the top of the stand and launch their medals at his car 😂

I think you'll find Doncaster will be advised by the police to stay away. Budge will see the seethe towards him and she will advise the police that the club cannot guarantee his safety and it would be advisable so as to avoid any incidents if he turned up.

Give the players a medals because its a personal for their collections. But the trophy don't need it, don't  want it. Don't want photos. It means nothing 

19 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

So long as the offending dump is droppedthe morning after an all you can eat Indian followed by a drunken kebab on the way home 😂

Why I said McGill

20 minutes ago, Barack said:

Mate, I've seen you mention this a couple of times, referencing protocols.

I'm genuinely curious(and I know the SPFL have pedantic rules for rules) but...can we seriously believe Hearts would somehow be retrospectively punished, for not lifting a trophy?! :lol: What's the options for the SPFL? Don't lift the trophy..."Well you're not Champions then! Nah nah nah nah nah! You're staying in the Championship."

I'd find any "punishment" stretching the boundaries of incredulity to cosmic levels. Even despite the blatant photo opportunities of Doncaster's face & embarrassment.

Let's be honest: It'll be lifted. A wee smile. And done. No fuss. Making a bigger issue of it all is dragging shite out that doesn't need to be, imo. We all know we've been ****ed over.

I'd rather we spent our time making a proper statement next season. Not some toys & pram nonsense.

Don't think there is anything I rules, just what is expected of a club member.

But yes, I doubt  a disrepute charge would follow.

Doncaster wouldn't have the bottle to turn up. If he did however, i'd walk up to him, take the trophy, no eye contact or hand-shake and take it into the dressing room. Same with the medals. The players should come out, pick theirs up and head straight back to the dressing room to have a beer or three. Leave the knob-end standing there looking a tool.

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

Play football with the cup and tell them to post the medals......👍

Batistuta87

Would be happy to take possession of the trophy, let the players have their photo op, then for them to go inside and modestly celebrate the completion of a dirty job that none of them really wanted to do. What I don't want to see is "Champions" t-shirts, wives and kids, confetti, scarves around the heads, flags round the shoulders, or any sort of over-exuberant champagne spraying victory parade type stuff. And if fans are in grounds for the start of next season and if Doncaster has the balls to show up on day 1 of the new season, we give him it tighter than we've ever given anyone who has walked onto that pitch.

I would ask for one thing though... Just make sure there's a big honkin' jobby in the trophy when we hand it back to the SFL. 

Edited by Batistuta87

3fingersreid

Collect their medals , lift the trophy but do so whilst wearing a T shirt with the wording ,

Take Your Medicine ,

on the front .

On the back , well something referring to the parentage of people connected to the spfl is an option but I’m sure kickback could come up with something better ................

been here before
55 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

the club? We don’t need to have a flag day if we don’t want one surely?

but why do I have this feeling that the club will mis-read the room again. ?

"The room" or just the same slavering welts on here?

Oh aye and 'on facebook and twitter' right enough.

:rofl:

Edited by been here before

Bazzas right boot
58 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I'd rather Christophe Berra put it on the ground ran up to it, and done one of his long diagonal punts. 

Or Robbie pick it up and do one of his long throws with it 😂😂

👍

A Berra punt on the thing.... Bit harsh, it will take out a satellite!

underwaterwoodwelder

Have more class I know it's meaningless winning this cup but staying professional is more important. 

Leaving it in the stand is somthing the vermin would do.

• davemclaren changed the title to Trophy presentation - lifted ( merged )